HowTo: Milestone X2 - 2.3.6 Root - UPDATED 09/05/2012

Search This thread

mettercomputers

Apr 19, 2008
Metter GA
Thanks to everyone who helped with rooting now we need to get the original sbf so we can play with custom roms I have managed to deodex my stock one and it is fast.

My Phone:

Alltel Milestone X2 Android 2.3.6

Used xUltimate 2.3.3 but edited the commands to copy the deodexd file back to phone and delete *odex files I can upload a what I have if anyone is interested.

Check out this thread : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22580568#post22580568

Trying not to highjack this post

Last edited:

hilltopper06

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks to everyone who helped with rooting now we need to get the original sbf so we can play with custom roms I have managed to deodex my stock one and it is fast.

My Phone:

Alltel Milestone X2 Android 2.3.6

How did you deodex your Milestone x2? I would like to try this on mine as well, since custom roms are not looking too promising for the MX2 at this point.

sminatore

Feb 16, 2012
roma
i have a problem when i type on cmd
"fastboot flash preinstall root.img"

it write me :
<waiting for device>

in the guide is written to put the decive in fastboot mode..... is it the same thing says fastboot mode or bootloader mode ?? if it isnt , how can i start it in fastboot mode ??

clcrawl

Dec 14, 2011
Yes Fastboot mode is what you want to be in. What did your phone show after you entered Fastboot mode?

i have a problem when i type on cmd
"fastboot flash preinstall root.img"

it write me :
<waiting for device>

in the guide is written to put the decive in fastboot mode..... is it the same thing says fastboot mode or bootloader mode ?? if it isnt , how can i start it in fastboot mode ??

sminatore

Feb 16, 2012
roma
i push power button and up on keyboard than it show me a black sceen and something written in white:

Bootloader

Battery OK
OK to Program
TRansfer Mode :
USB

Last edited:

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
2.3.5 Milestone x2 nandroid wanted.
I would appreciate help getting perhaps all the different carrier versions.
How to make one (all from the same cwr session):
Backup your current rom. To protect yourself wipe data, cache & dalvik (lots of info in there) then flash ReRecoveryDx2 ( as a precaution ) then bu the nandroid for upload finally restore the 1st BU. All in one cwr session.
Note the dates to distinguish one from the other also the wiped one will be smaller.
You can creat a RS free account for uploading. http://www.rapidshare.de/

RR link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1426062

Last edited:

clcrawl

Dec 14, 2011
That is a bit odd, mine after select Fastboot says "Starting Fastboot protocol support", so it seems you are not in the right mode. Trying hitting your volume down button to scroll through the options.

i push power button and up on keyboard than it show me a black sceen and something written in white:

Bootloader

Battery OK
OK to Program
TRansfer Mode :
USB

lafromin

Aug 30, 2009
Jet, OK
SBF files for Milestone X2

I spent a whole lot of time on the phone with Motorola today. If you need to RSD your phone all the small carriers that sell the Milestone X2 use the same SBF. The only difference is the carrier settings which are done at the local store, so if you need those codes or how to do it, call or go by your local carrier.

So, just to recap: The Milestone X2 SBF (2.3.5, 2.3.6) is the same for all carriers.

The reason most people could call but not use data after they flashed the SBF (2.3.5, 2.3.6) is because the voice service WILL work in your home area, but not roaming, until the carrier settings have been programed. Data will NEVER work until the carrier settings have been programed.

I hope this helps! :D

Reactions: mettercomputers

clcrawl

Dec 14, 2011
I suppose no one knows if it is possible to extract these carrier settings on a working phone? Then it might be a simple matter of inputting the settings you saved after your SBF (presuming you SBFed with another carriers SBF), although I presume you would need to have the phone unlocked (not bootloader, actually unlocked allowing you to program the carrier settings)? Anyone have any ideas?

I spent a whole lot of time on the phone with Motorola today. If you need to RSD your phone all the small carriers that sell the Milestone X2 use the same SBF. The only difference is the carrier settings which are done at the local store, so if you need those codes or how to do it, call or go by your local carrier.

So, just to recap: The Milestone X2 SBF (2.3.5, 2.3.6) is the same for all carriers.

The reason most people could call but not use data after they flashed the SBF (2.3.5, 2.3.6) is because the voice service WILL work in your home area, but not roaming, until the carrier settings have been programed. Data will NEVER work until the carrier settings have been programed.

mettercomputers

Apr 19, 2008
Metter GA

Where can we find both sbf's if we flash in linux with sbf_flash it does not over write the radio part so should keep carrier settings right. Thanks

mettercomputers

Apr 19, 2008
Metter GA
Last edited:
Reactions: skwoodwiva

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
Thanks. What's on your info page?
Edit This IS such a long shot. I doubt Moto would have implemented for yours but not ours.

Last edited:

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
GeneratedUserName
RM Has NEVER worked on the Dx2 and I have not heard it working on a Mx2 but right here in this poster's confused discription. post 169-sorry manibengood but I am still lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeneratedUserName

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This walks through the process of rooting a Motorola Milestone X2 running 2.3.6. First off I DID NOT come up with this solution nor did I initially post this in this thread. Many many MANY thanks to all those helped make this a reality (which seem to be Brandon15811, the2dcour, and eval-!) and to Sippi4x4man who posted this information here along with DarkFalconX who posted an addendum to help get it working, and to Tiso who made me aware someone had posted this in the thread. See the bottom for the original links that were posted.

This is the process I used it is slightly different than Dark's and the original link. The standard warning applies here, NEITHER MYSELF NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE DOING THIS!

PREREQUISITES
    • You MUST have the ADB drivers for your phone installed which are obtained as part of the Android SDK.
    • You MUST have USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
    • You MUST have Superuser installed, which can be found on the Market.

PROCESS
    1. Download the following file (atrix-4g-moto-fastboot-win32.zip): LINK
    2. Extract the zip file to a location that is easy to get to, the original instructions suggested making a Root folder in C:\, however it is really up to you. Just make sure all the files are extracted to the same folder.
    3. Get your phone into Fastboot mode, to do this:
      • Shut the phone off.
      • Hold down the Volume Down Button while pressing the Power Button.
      • After the phone turns on you should see Fastboot at the top of the screen.
      • Press the Volume Up Button to enter Fastboot mode. Your computer may need to install drivers if this is the first time you entered Fastboot mode, so let this happen BEFORE proceeding.
    4. Start a command prompt on your computer.
    5. Type the following commands:
      • cd \<DIRECTORY> where <DIRECTORY> is the folder you created. If you created the Root folder in C:\ it would be cd \root.
      • moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
      • moto-fastboot reboot
    6. Wait for the phone to reboot, once it does so execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open):
      • adb shell
      • /preinstall/su
    7. On your phone you should see a prompt to Allow or Deny Superuser access, allow this. Then execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open)
      • mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
      • cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
      • chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Initial links Posted by Sippi4x4man
    http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...orola-atrix-2/
    http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root

Closing
    I have to again thank everyone who created this process and who made people aware of this. I take ZERO credit I am simply reposting information others have already posted. Have fun!

UPDATES
    09/04/2012 - The links for the files were broken, the files needed to root the Atrix 4G are the same as we need so I have updated the link to those used for that, along with tweaking the instructions a bit to match. Thanks to Carl Parker and this post here for the working link. Do not worry that the files are labeled "for" the Atrix 4G, the files do in fact work for rooting the Milestone X2 I just used them successfully.

09/05/2012 - I modified the instructions to flash preinstall.img versus root.img, thanks to aldude999 and sd_shadow for pointing out the error as well as sd_shadow for the new link.
    SUCCESS!!!!!!

Motorola released a 2.3.6 OTA for the Motorola Atrix. They are in the same position that we are in. If the Atrix users flash the OTA they loose root and there isn't a current direct root method available yet. Hopefully they will come up with something soon

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ad-ota-update-available-for-motorola-atrix-2/

2.3.6 root for Atrix if anyone feels brave

http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root

This method works! There are only 2 differences in the commands (indicated in red):

Obtain the necessary files from the Atrix 2.3.6 link above
    Extract the ADB-Fastboot package and root image to your C:\ Drive under a new folder titled “root”
    Put your device into Fastboot mode: – Turn off your device. – Hold down the power button and downward volume button until you see “Fastboot” on your screen – Push the upward volume button
    Connect your phone via USB cable. Allow Windows to install the new hardware if this is the first time you have used Fastboot mode.
    Open your command prompt (Start >> run “cmd” >> enter)
    Type the following commands
    cd C:/root
    fastboot flash preinstall root.img
    fastboot reboot
    Enable USB debugging (Settings >> Applications >> Debugging)
    adb shell
    /preinstall/su
    Allow Superuser access on the phone when prompted
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
    cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
    chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
    PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk

:D:D:D:D:D:D Congratulations! You are rooted! :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Commissioning A Successful Root Method

The Milestone X2 from CSpire Wireless, System Version 45.0.43.MB867.ACG-CS.en.US comes stock with Android Version 2.3.6 pre-installed.

It seems that there are a considerable number of other people also affected by imposed limitations of their purchased devices. I would like to support the cause in offering a $100 donation to anyone providing a clearly documented step-by-step How To complete with links to tools for successfully gaining permanent root access to the Motorola Milestone X2 with Android Version 2.3.6 pre-installed while maintaining complete device functionality (including but not limited to; phone, data and wifi) by 5:00 PM CT (UTC -6:00) on Wednesday, January 18, 2012.

An additional $100 bonus will be paid (for a total of $200) to anyone providing the above by 5:00 PM CT (UTC -6:00) tomorrow, Tuesday, January 17, 2012.

[UPDATE - 01/16/2012 02:59 PM]:
    If there are any takers, the job has been posted to oDesk.com here: nosky .us / zPhQrd (no spaces).

The How To (completed and in-progress) can be posted directly to this thread for the benefit of the community. Please indicate your interest by responding to this thread or emailing brainflurry [at] gmail.com.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do (such as providing a backup of my ROM [assuming that's possible without root]).
    Here you go...
    42afacef-2db6-2b0b.jpg

Sent from my Milestone X2 using XDA App
    Ok thanks for the information. I will look into a method thst was dependant on the 2.6.32.9 kernel. No promises.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk