[GUIDE][HOWTO] Installing HTC drivers on Win8 for adb/fastboot

Search This thread

Hippie459MN

Well, After doing a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro (64bit) I soon realized that HTC does not support Win8 drivers yet officially but after hours of scouring the internet, I finally got it to work and it works perfect!

I have found that the Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 but the HTC Driver installer will not allow a windows 8 install for some reason. There are 2 ways to do it but this is the easiest as I have already pulled the full driver pack from a Windows 7 driver install to make it easier for everyone.

Instructions to installing HTC Drivers on Windows8 64Bit:
==========================================
1. Download the Windows7 (64 Bit) drivers here - http://d-h.st/OYI
2. Unzip to any location you want. Just remember where you put them.
3. Plug in your phone to your USB cable.
4. Open your Device Manager (Windows Key + X and select Device manager) and locate HTC under Other Devices and right click on it and select Update Driver Software
5. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
6. Click Browse and then select the folder you unzipped with the drivers in it then click next.
7. It should now install your drivers and then in your device manager it will now show up "My HTC" under Android USB Devices.

Hope that helps anyone having troubles getting USB/HTC drivers working on Windows 8 (64bit).

Now you can use adb and fastboot commands. I use Fastboot Commander and I can report it works perfect in Win8.

EDIT: Im sure this will work for any other HTC phone as well as I am pretty sure the drivers are pretty universal for HTC phones, just so happens I have an Evo3D and do not have any other HTC phones to test this on other then my Hero. I will test that as soon as I can to see if that works also and update my findings.

Enjoy!

alhuang69

May 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Well, After doing a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro (64bit) I soon realized that HTC does not support Win8 drivers yet officially but after hours of scouring the internet, I finally got it to work and it works perfect!

I have found that the Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8 but the HTC Driver installer will not allow a windows 8 install for some reason. There are 2 ways to do it but this is the easiest as I have already pulled the full driver pack from a Windows 7 driver install to make it easier for everyone.

4. Open your Device Manager (Windows Key + X and select Device manager) and locate HTC under Other Devices and right click on it and select Update Driver Software
6. Click Browse and then select the folder you unzipped with the drivers in it then click next.
7. It should now install your drivers and then in your device manager it will now show up "My HTC" under Android USB Devices.

Hope that helps anyone having troubles getting USB/HTC drivers working on Windows 8 (64bit).

Now you can use adb and fastboot commands. I use Fastboot Commander and I can report it works perfect in Win8.

EDIT: Im sure this will work for any other HTC phone as well as I am pretty sure the drivers are pretty universal for HTC phones, just so happens I have an Evo3D and do not have any other HTC phones to test this on other then my Hero. I will test that as soon as I can to see if that works also and update my findings.

Enjoy!
Thanks so much for your instruction.
However I followed every steps and the My HTC driver was renewed ... I still fail to resign the app after I modified it.

Reactions: VAhtc

Hippie459MN

Thanks so much for your instruction.
However I followed every steps and the My HTC driver was renewed ... I still fail to resign the app after I modified it.

I dont understand. Resign what app? All this does is install the drivers in Win8 (64bit version) if you didnt have them installed already so you can use adb and fastboot commands via command prompt on your PC. If you had drivers installed and working in Win8 already there is/was no need for this.

alhuang69

May 28, 2008
Hong Kong
I dont understand. Resign what app? All this does is install the drivers in Win8 (64bit version) if you didnt have them installed already so you can use adb and fastboot commands via command prompt on your PC. If you had drivers installed and working in Win8 already there is/was no need for this.
Thank you very much for your reply. I updated the HTC Sync version 3.3.1.7 --- the sync and the connection between the phone and PC are working very well. The adb never works even followed your instruction but still can't make the adb works. I suspect my adb version is too old.

Would you be kind to share the adb?

Hippie459MN

Any adb and fastboot app should work. Worked fine for me on a really old version and also on the latest version.

Get it right from Google. http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Just click on Downloads for other platforms and then download SDK Tools only.

Install that then launch the SDK Manager and select to download the Android Platform Tools and you will get the latest adb and fastboot

I would install to your c: drive and not in program files. Just a recommendation.

alhuang69

May 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Any adb and fastboot app should work. Worked fine for me on a really old version and also on the latest version.

Install that then launch the SDK Manager and select to download the Android Platform Tools and you will get the latest adb and fastboot

I would install to your c: drive and not in program files. Just a recommendation.
Thank you very much again. I will try it then.:good:

waz675

Jun 9, 2012
Geelong
Worked for my HTC ONE X on my Win 8 ultrabook, took less than 2 minutes all up from reading your post (well skimming heh). Made it nice and easy. Thanks

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Don't the 4.x series drivers from HTC natively support Win8? I don't have Win8 myself, but perhaps someone could test and report back? I posted a small collection of Windows drivers in my forum section.
The requirements for HTC Sync still don't include Windows 8 as a supported environment even though the last update was on December 28th so I'm guessing the drivers included with that won't install properly.

HTC Sync Manager supports Windows 8 but not the Evo 3D. If the 4.x drivers were extracted from that they may work with the Evo 3D but I don't run Windows 8 yet so someone else going to have to test them.

ramjet73

Reactions: Hippie459MN

mdmower

Sep 14, 2011
The requirements for HTC Sync still don't include Windows 8 as a supported environment even though the last update was on December 28th so I'm guessing the drivers included with that won't install properly.

HTC Sync Manager supports Windows 8 but not the Evo 3D. If the 4.x drivers were extracted from that they may work with the Evo 3D but I don't run Windows 8 yet so someone else going to have to test them.

ramjet73

Interesting. I just extracted the drivers from Sync Manager and found a single point bump at the very end of the version string from my latest driver (4.0.1.002 is now listed in my drivers post). I'm still led to believe the 4.x series works on Win8, but we'll have to wait for others to respond.

dastin1015

Inactive Recognized Developer
I run Win 7, Win 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 on my laptop. The regular HTC Sync drivers that work on Win 7 also do work on Win 8. I'm currently running an RUU and it's working.

uploadfromtaptalk1360629202495.jpg

私のエピック4Gのタッチから送られてきた。

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Windows 8 compatible installer

I recently found that the .exe installer from HTC Sync Manager is compatible with all versions of Windows, from XP through 8, and both 32 and 64 bit versions. The Sync Manager itself doesn't support the Evo 3D/V but the drivers that come with it seem to work fine with our device.

The Windows 8 compatible 4.1.0.001 version of the HTC .exe driver installer can be downloaded here.

ramjet73

Last edited:
Reactions: Hippie459MN

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Enjoy!
    Same question. Is there a way to set this up with USB 3.0 or do we have to use USB 2.0? Thanks.

My laptop only has USB 3.0 ports. I was having a HECK of a time trying to root my phone with Windows 8 (reboot into bootloader/recovery mode and device no longer recognized when connected to PC.)

I followed the procedures at the link below to replace my Windows 8 USB3.0 drivers with Intel USB3.0 drivers and my EVO 4G LTE started to be recognized in bootloader mode:

plugable.com/2012/12/01/windows-8-and-intel-usb-3-0-host-controllers

(im junior so I cannot post links, add http above... ;) )

this solved a lot of problems for me :)

p.s. have not noticed any other issues with other things connected via USB with these Intel drivers either...been using them for months.

UPDATE - Intel now has official USB3.0 drivers for Windows 8/8.1 on their website, so you don't need to go through the long convoluted process at the link above to get the drivers installed - just head over to Intel's website and download the USB3.0 intel drivers (provided you have intel chipset) and you should be good to go.

So what is your having trouble with? This guide is kind of old news now. Just go get the universal driver pack and be done with it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-driver-for-windows-that-actually-works-on-8/
    Did you install them as part of HTC Sync, as a separate .exe file, or using the workaround in hippie459mn's guide?

ramjet73

As HTC Sync then uninstalled Sync.

私のエピック4Gのタッチから送られてきた。