Android File Transfer not working for Mac

Search This thread

mta1981

Jun 24, 2010
So I had ordered some micro usb to usb c adapters from amazon (the brand is Aukey, 3 for $7) for the many micro usb wires I have so I can use my them with my Pixel and out of curiosity I attempted to do a file transfer from my imac (5k 2015 model) using a micro usb wire with the usb c adapter and it was SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!! Once I selected file transfer in the usb options it worked flawlessly!!! I transferred a few gigs worth of music without a problem, no errors and the screen even timed out. I guess Macs dont play well with the usb c wire from Google. Someone else give it shot!!!!

vbijelovic

Jun 4, 2005
I am having the same problem with my 2015 MBP running El Capitan and the Pixel XL - it worked just fine a few times and now it is giving me that error every single time, obviously with the screen unlocked and the USB changed to file transfer. Or any other USB choice for that matter... most frustrating

jaydee99

Apr 15, 2013
Hi, i had the same issue with Macbook 13 Touchbar and Pixel XL and just found a workaround :

Use an USB-C -> USB-A adapter (i use the one provided with the pixel) then USB-A -> USB-C cable to connect the phone and it works !

Hope this helps !

Reactions: cstar817

Habaddon

May 6, 2009
On which slot are you ? Because for me, it seems I cannot use Android File Transfer from slot "b", it cannot connect, freeze,... But all is working fine on slot "a".

Exactly the same rom on both, I did a backup on slot "b" and restore it on "a". I can connect from slot "a" but not from slot "b".

ashishmehraa

Sep 25, 2011
I was just getting frustraded with all this. Tried 5 different usb c cables including the original ones and none worked.
Tried connecting a Usb C adapter to a usb OTG pen drive and that dit not work either.
Then Connected the USB adapter with a micro usb cable to the MAC and the AFT fired up after selecting file transfer and BAMMM! everything is working like a charm. With the usb c cables, my download folder was not opening at all. Now everything works.

Solution: Use a usb c adapter with a micro usb cable and things should fall into place! Good luck!

Jul 6, 2017
AirMore can help you with it. I've been using it for quite sometime now and if perfectly works on my Android and Mac. By the way, it is online-based and it is wireless.

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
HTC Desire
Sony Xperia Z5
yeah not an issue specific to Pixel, all android phones for me haven't worked properly. Wifi file transfer used to work well and was faster than some of my other phones via cable. I now just use Super Beam it is super fast (on super fast wireless AC network) and reliable.

Last edited:

shijunarayan

Aug 5, 2017
Once you connect your phone to the mac. If you receive the message "If your device's screen is locked, disconnect its USB cable, unlock your screen, and then reconnect the USB cable." Try doing the following.
Connect the USB to phone and Mac.
Tap on the phone and slide from above to See Android System notification.
Tap on the notification.
You will see few options there as "Use USB to" - by default it selects 1st options which is "Charge this device". Hence, you ant transfer file.
Change it to "Transfer Files" option.
Remove and reconnect the USB cable.

SyncMate

Sep 17, 2008
As an alternative you an check this solution, it also allows transferring files between Android and Mac. But unlike Android File Transfer it also allows syncing data (personal, media folders).

presets

Nov 8, 2014
It´s ridiculous... A multi billion dollar company can´t provide such basic features? I have still the same problems with my MacBook and Google Pixel (2016). So maybe next time I try the advice with the adapter or by WiFi.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone else having issues connecting Pixel XL to Mac via Android File Transfer? I had no issues with my Note 5, but the Pixel XL will not stay connected. It shows that its connecting and then I get the pop up that reads: "If your device's screen is locked, disconnect its USB cable, unlock your screen, and then reconnect the USB cable." My screen is unlocked and all...
    Check out Pixelmate to work around issues with Android File Transfer and Pixel devices:
    https://eladnava.com/manage-files-on-your-google-pixel-like-a-boss-with-pixelmate/
    Works fine for me. I selected "transfer files" from the usb options when it popped up and relaunched AFT
    Hi, i had the same issue with Macbook 13 Touchbar and Pixel XL and just found a workaround :

Use an USB-C -> USB-A adapter (i use the one provided with the pixel) then USB-A -> USB-C cable to connect the phone and it works !

Hope this helps !