Update annoyance

Search This thread
Would someone be so kind and help me to stop this annoyance. I have a Gen 1 AFTV box. Fire OS 5.2.6.2 (587700720). Twrp version 3.0.0.7

The whole problem is always finding the AFTV on the Twrp menu screen after returning to it after some time.

When I reboot and see the boot menu, the boot menu always has "boot normally" highlighted and a normal boot process happens. It appears to me there is a download in the system which gets scheduled for install and on boot the system gets put into recovery mode and the update doesn't go into effect.

So here is my question. How can I make this update go through? I have done all the network command statements into my router. I have ran commands through ADB. I can delete the download but it just keeps coming back.

How can I install the update through TWRP. I don't care if I lose the unlock bootloader and all that. This issue is no big deal for me but my wife . . . Oh gawd. Please help. Happy wife, happy life. She can't use the box if it is on the recovery menu.

Please help. 20180612_101053.jpeg20180612_101103.jpeg

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

sconnyuk

Jul 31, 2011
Sunderland
Would someone be so kind and help me to stop this annoyance. I have a Gen 1 AFTV box. Fire OS 5.2.6.2 (587700720). Twrp version 3.0.0.7

The whole problem is always finding the AFTV on the Twrp menu screen after returning to it after some time.

When I reboot and see the boot menu, the boot menu always has "boot normally" highlighted and a normal boot process happens. It appears to me there is a download in the system which gets scheduled for install and on boot the system gets put into recovery mode and the update doesn't go into effect.

So here is my question. How can I make this update go through? I have done all the network command statements into my router. I have ran commands through ADB. I can delete the download but it just keeps coming back.

How can I install the update through TWRP. I don't care if I lose the unlock bootloader and all that. This issue is no big deal for me but my wife . . . Oh gawd. Please help. Happy wife, happy life. She can't use the box if it is on the recovery menu.

Please help.View attachment 4524977View attachment 4524978

This is a safety process with TWRP if i understand correctly, it wont let the system update and wipe your root/TWRP out.
Why would you want to lose Root/TWRP ? these Amazon Fire devices are no longer rootable with current firmware.
To have one is getting more rare everyday.
I seen a Gen2 box for sale for £180 UK on ebay a few days ago.
You would be much better off keeping root/TWRP but disabling updates, using this guide:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-block-software-updates-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Basically doing the following:

Your Fire TV must be rooted. Otherwise, use one of the other methods to block software updates.
Connect to your Fire TV via ADB
Run the command: adb shell
Run the command: su
(Be sure to select “Grant” if your Fire TV prompts you for superuser access.)

For Fire OS 5 (version 5.0.0 and up), run the command:
pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
This should sort out the issue of the FireTV idling then deciding to try and update, bringing you to the TWRP screen.

Reactions: Gonkulor
Thank you sconnyuk. I thought this would be the recommended action. *SIGH. LOL

I swear I have done this multiple times but it is easy and needs done before moving forward, and maybe I'm not as smart as I think I am and this will be the fix.

Also, being I had considered this box dead (past posts) and moved on by buying new. It is nice having old school V.1 [emoji3] v

Thanks for responding and popping me into gear. I'll know soon enough if it works.

Best regards

Reactions: sconnyuk

rouneh

Sep 29, 2013
Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC
i had my firetv 2 box doing this exact same thing around the time of the 5.2.6.3 OTA they were sending out, it had a message and countdown timer (60 seconds) that would pop up often and if not interacted with it would attempt to upgrade. of course i didnt initially notice the message due to it stalling via TWRP.

in device settings it did pass a version check that i had disabled, something re-enabled it. i disabled it again and it has remained disabled since. just goes to show amazon can control things via their unknown services...

enforcing firmware flashing is never a good idea, who is at fault if the owner removes power from the firetv but hadnt seen its message?

Reactions: Gonkulor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Please help.View attachment 4524977View attachment 4524978

This is a safety process with TWRP if i understand correctly, it wont let the system update and wipe your root/TWRP out.
    Why would you want to lose Root/TWRP ? these Amazon Fire devices are no longer rootable with current firmware.
    To have one is getting more rare everyday.
    I seen a Gen2 box for sale for £180 UK on ebay a few days ago.
    You would be much better off keeping root/TWRP but disabling updates, using this guide:

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-block-software-updates-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Basically doing the following:

Your Fire TV must be rooted. Otherwise, use one of the other methods to block software updates.
    Connect to your Fire TV via ADB
    Run the command: adb shell
    Run the command: su
    (Be sure to select “Grant” if your Fire TV prompts you for superuser access.)

For Fire OS 5 (version 5.0.0 and up), run the command:
    pm disable com.amazon.device.software.ota
    This should sort out the issue of the FireTV idling then deciding to try and update, bringing you to the TWRP screen.
    Thank you sconnyuk. I thought this would be the recommended action. *SIGH. LOL

I swear I have done this multiple times but it is easy and needs done before moving forward, and maybe I'm not as smart as I think I am and this will be the fix.

Also, being I had considered this box dead (past posts) and moved on by buying new. It is nice having old school V.1 [emoji3] v

Thanks for responding and popping me into gear. I'll know soon enough if it works.

Best regards

Yeah, that was the fix. I had done this in the past but apparently not recently enough.

Moral to this: sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and admit you didn't follow all how-to's from the beginning.

Consider this matter closed. Thanks
    i had my firetv 2 box doing this exact same thing around the time of the 5.2.6.3 OTA they were sending out, it had a message and countdown timer (60 seconds) that would pop up often and if not interacted with it would attempt to upgrade. of course i didnt initially notice the message due to it stalling via TWRP.

in device settings it did pass a version check that i had disabled, something re-enabled it. i disabled it again and it has remained disabled since. just goes to show amazon can control things via their unknown services...

enforcing firmware flashing is never a good idea, who is at fault if the owner removes power from the firetv but hadnt seen its message?