Red Triangle Stock Sense 6 update

Search This thread

mfpreach

Nov 17, 2007
Just received the stock update to Sense 6. I am in Canada, on Telus, fully stock.
When the phone boots into the recovery to flash the update, I am getting a red triangle and the error is unexpected contents in settings.apk

Any suggestions on how to get this update working other than hard resetting before the update?
Thanks.

SaHiLzZ

Jan 19, 2011
Can you reboot normally? Just select the Reboot system option? Also, if it insists on going to update, hold power button to forcefully restart and keep pressing the volume down button to get into bootloader mode.

Try restart from there.

As you are FULLY stock (no root, should say LOCKED on that bootloader screen) you can either consider going through the warranty OR trying it yourself to fix by unlocking bootloader OR take it to someone locally.

Unfortunately all options will lead to data loss.

mfpreach

Nov 17, 2007
Can you reboot normally? Just select the Reboot system option? Also, if it insists on going to update, hold power button to forcefully restart and keep pressing the volume down button to get into bootloader mode.

Try restart from there.

As you are FULLY stock (no root, should say LOCKED on that bootloader screen) you can either consider going through the warranty OR trying it yourself to fix by unlocking bootloader OR take it to someone locally.

Unfortunately all options will lead to data loss.

Yes it reboots and yes I have a locked bootloader. I would hard reset before sending it out for servicing.

Any other people having this issue?

mfpreach

Nov 17, 2007
What are your guys thoughts on flashing a stock ruu and then trying to ota to sense 6?

mfpreach

Nov 17, 2007
Haha I haven't been able to try, on my 8.1 box I get an error 170 when trying to connect the phone in ruu. On my win7 box the ruu just auto closes....

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
Haha I haven't been able to try, on my 8.1 box I get an error 170 when trying to connect the phone in ruu. On my win7 box the ruu just auto closes....

well error 170 is either because your drivers aren't installed correctly or because you have a bad usb cable/port

kuzumitaiga

Apr 16, 2014
Thanks,I will look into it tomorrow.
Are there even good drivers for 8.1 yet bearing in mind I don't have a USB 3 port?

hi, we have similar issues although mine is the soundhound_freemium.apk instead of settings.apk, I hope that you will get your issue settled and also update me and the rest of us who are having the issues here. :D good luck and thanks! (do check out my thread which I've just posted like 5 minutes back!)

Kg810

Jun 20, 2013
Do not install sense 6 upgrade

I would recommend NOT installing the stock Sense 6 upgrade. I installed it a couple days ago and currently my phone is bricked because of it.

I posted about my issue in another thread. In case people want to read what's been going on i'll repost it here.

So I performed the Sense 6 upgrade a couple days ago, update went through fine, yesterday morning my phone started acting all weird (sluggish, random reboots, bunch of apps reporting errors, etc) and battery was draining fast.

I probably rebooted my phone 10 times, 5 times normally by just the power button and the remaining times through the light trick, power button and volume button. Once my phone finally got back to normal, I was typing on whatsapp and then suddenly it froze.

It froze for a couple minutes and then it turned off. I believe the battery was at 39%. I plugged the phone into my work computer and it would make the USB connection sound, then after a few seconds it would display drivers failed to install followed by 3 subtle sounds similar to the connection sound. So right away I checked Device Manager and it displayed QHSUSB_DLOAD.

Currently my phone has been charging all night, currently it is being charged at work and there has been no sign of life.

I've tried putting it in the freezer, the light trick, the laptop connecting/disconnecting trick, and the go ole punching the phone trick. None of them have worked.

The phone is definitely not charging at this point as it is stone cold when I hold it or touch the wall charger.

Any ideas what I can do? I don't want to contact Rogers and have to send it in. I've got so many songs, videos and pictures I have yet to backup.

Any help and/or suggestions welcome.

alray

May 22, 2012
I would recommend NOT installing the stock Sense 6 upgrade. I installed it a couple days ago and currently my phone is bricked because of it.

Well your issue have nothing to do with the sense 6 update. You even said that you have updated the phone a couple of days before your phone died. QHSUSB_DLOAD mode mean your phone motherboard is dead, either because of an hardware failure or because you have flashed something really wrong (probably not your case). So how an hardware failure could be caused by a sofware update and only occur days later....? unfortunately, you must send your phone for repair.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Thanks,I will look into it tomorrow.
Are there even good drivers for 8.1 yet bearing in mind I don't have a USB 3 port?

if you have a win7 computer, then use that one. ;)

Kg810

Jun 20, 2013
Well your issue have nothing to do with the sense 6 update. You even said that you have updated the phone a couple of days before your phone died. QHSUSB_DLOAD mode mean your phone motherboard is dead, either because of an hardware failure or because you have flashed something really wrong (probably not your case). So how an hardware failure could be caused by a sofware update and only occur days later....? unfortunately, you must send your phone for repair.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Tuesday night before I went to bed I performed the upgrade.

Wednesday morning, is when the issues started occuring.

Today is May 29th, Tuesday was May 27th, which is 2 days ago, hence why I said I performed the upgrade a couple days ago.

From the time I performed the install Tuesday night to Wednesday morning when I got into work, there was nothing done to the phone. The only thing that was done was the Sense 6 upgrade.

So you're trying to tell me that the upgrade has nothing to do with it?:confused:

alray

May 22, 2012
So you're trying to tell me that the upgrade has nothing to do with it?:confused:

If your phone was 100% stock, I highly doubt the ota could hard brick it.

like I said QHSUSB_DLOAD = defect motherboard

in most cases because:

1- hardware failure

or

2- Flashing something that screwed your phone (i.e flashing something not meant for your phone with S-OFF)

I'm not saying its impossible, but I think it's more a coincidence

Kg810

Jun 20, 2013
If your phone was 100% stock, I highly doubt the ota could hard brick it.

like I said QHSUSB_DLOAD = defect motherboard

in most cases because:

1- hardware failure

or

2- Flashing something that screwed your phone (i.e flashing something not meant for your phone with S-OFF)

I'm not saying its impossible, but I think it's more a coincidence

I've had the phone for a little over a year and it has been 100% stock. Never tinkered with it in any way shape or form.

I just can't see how it is a mere coincidence that right after the update, my phone starts acting up, and then becomes bricked.

alray

May 22, 2012
I've had the phone for a little over a year and it has been 100% stock. Never tinkered with it in any way shape or form.

I just can't see how it is a mere coincidence that right after the update, my phone starts acting up, and then becomes bricked.

Anyway, your only way out of this qhsusb brick is to send your phone for repair.

Sorry :(