Don't like where Windows Phone 7 Series is headed? Let's do something about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Blackwheel

Aug 27, 2008
Please sign, thank you.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/7seriesphoneboycott/

Petition Message:

I'll make this short and to the point.

Windows Mobile:

Function: Extremely capable OS
Form: Dense, outdated user interface.

Windows Phone 7 Series:

Function: OS crippled by a lack of basic features
Form: Intuitive, modern user interface.

Microsoft has selected form over functionality and that is a decision we can not and will not support with our own monetary funds. Microsoft, you're decision to neglect basic features such as...

- an open file system accessible to the user

- copy + paste

- true multitasking

- true customization

... has resulted in our collective decision to boycott all
future Windows Phones until the above issues are addressed.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
Also, post your negative thoughts on your Twitter accounts with the #wp7s along with it. Windows' accounts (the developers, Windows Phone account, Windows account) has been making posts with #wp7s in them so that readers can search for all related posts. If they are mostly negative, the developers are bound to notice.

Blackwheel

Aug 27, 2008
I sent a message to wmpoweruser.com to see if they can post a link on their main page. I hope they come through.

Kloc

Sep 18, 2008
Signed with the hopes Microsoft adds some of those features later. But I'll still purchase either way honestly.

WhyBe

Dec 27, 2008
Let's face it, corporations only listen to the money. There's the geek crowd, then there's the mainstream crowd. The fattest pockets win. ;)

fortunz

Apr 19, 2009
inside
My idea of "doing something about it" involves changing platforms. Good luck though. I hear MS loves customer feedback. As nice as Win7 is (My name is fortunz, and Win7 was my idea -- 4 years ago), it's a tech generation later than it should have been.

klasital

Feb 10, 2009
Ann Arbor
you know those windows 7 commercials where the actors and actress explain some nifty features like the task bar and stuff, then at the end of the commercial they proudly say "windows 7 was my idea".

It really contradicts what they are doing with windows phone 7 series in which cases, none of what they are doing are what users would want from winmo phones

x51

Apr 23, 2008
you know those windows 7 commercials where the actors and actress explain some nifty features like the task bar and stuff, then at the end of the commercial they proudly say "windows 7 was my idea".

It really contradicts what they are doing with windows phone 7 series in which cases, none of what they are doing are what users would want from winmo phones

I disagree. Too many people saying MS is stupid for this don't have the ability to step outside of their own little box and view the situation as it actually is. too many people think because THEY feel a certian way, it's how the rest of the world feels too.

I agree with many users here. I hate what I know of WP7.. I probably wont buy it... I totally see android in my future.. BUT... here is a little perspective.

The Iphone JUST got copy and paste not too long ago. The Iphone does not have a file system browser. The Iphone cant multitask. hrm.. what else? Oh yeah the Iphone has MOST of the market-share.

See.. What you want, and What I want, is not what most people want.

Microsoft knows that WP7 is what the masses need. A device that's not difficult. A device that lets them surf the web, get text messages, listen to music, tweet, and update facebook. A device that "Just works" They dont want all kinds of customizable settings and stuff.. It's too complicated.. Frankly, the average human is an idiot.

A majority us who frequent these forums like to have settings and options and like to change and customize their phones. They like custom roms. They dont mind actually thinking a little and trying to figure out a problem. They dont care that they spend more time flashing and tweaking, and customizing than actually using the device...

But the rest of the world, the VAST majority, wants an Iphone... WP7 was THIER Idea.

fortunz

Apr 19, 2009
inside
The Iphone cant multitask. hrm.. what else? Oh yeah the Iphone has MOST of the market-share.

It's 3rd behind RIM and Nokia, actually. I generally agree that MS can succeed with this, but I see rather the opposite of the point you make about xda's little discussion. I don't see nay-sayers demanding everyone hate it, I see defenders telling me I should like it.

To everyone who wants an iPhone, locked down, restricted controlled experience -- which is a considerable number of people -- enjoy. Just don't feel threatened by the fact that I want an actual smartphone, not a smarter than average feature phone.

x51

Apr 23, 2008
Iphone has MOST of the market-share.

It's 3rd behind RIM and Nokia, actually.

Yeah, I guess I was really thinking about WM vs Android, vs Iphone.
I had not considered Blackberry, and had no Idea Nokia was at the top.

Guess I need to look outside my own little box.. :D

but I see rather the opposite of the point you make about xda's little discussion. I don't see nay-sayers demanding everyone hate it, I see defenders telling me I should like it.

I was't making a point about XDA attitudes as a whole.. But I see a lot of people complaining that "MS is making a bad decision", and that "they will fail with this", and "how could they remove a file system browser".. etc.

This very thread is a petition to attempt to make MS change their direction on WP7..

And while I wish MS would.. I was pointing out that MS is trying to tap the Apple success.. so they are building an Apple like product.. and even though they will probably lose me and others.. they will likely gain much much more than they lose. From a company standpoint.. It's probably a good decision.

I'm pretty sure MS wont miss me at all. :(

Then again, I may love it.. and I cant wait to actually play with a final live release. The talented devs here will probably crack it.. make custom roms.. port "light" versions to phones that are 6 years old... who knows.. only time will tell.

Last edited:

Logicalstep

Jul 28, 2007
Signed.
But have to say, there is no doubt in my mind that there will be a Pro version will all the features that are missing.

Logicalstep

Kruzkal

Jan 14, 2010
Add no Flash.

It really is looking like Jo Bob's phone. It has no place for IT/CompSci types like us who like to break it down and micromanage our phones...

welki1979

Feb 6, 2008
Reading
...I still can't find any mention of them discontinuing 'Windows Mobile' completley on any sites...only about the 'Windows Phone' Release.

There used to be a big distinction between smartphone and PDA editions so maybe this is part of that 'smartphone' umbrella!? Could this possibly mean that they intent to follow 'Windows Phone 7' with 'Windows Mobile 7' ?

Lets hope so, WP7 has nothing of appeal for me (apart form the hardware specs it will bring)

smoother2010

Mar 20, 2010
the petition and this thread is useless. if you really want to hurt micro$oft then move to android or another platform.

eaglesteve

Apr 7, 2007
Sydney
the petition and this thread is useless. if you really want to hurt micro$oft then move to android or another platform.

I completely agree.

Developing a phone OS is a monumental effort. Once the foundation is laid, it is not easy to dismantle and redo. I don't think it was an easy decision for MS to finally implicitly admit that Apple's ways were the better ways and to copy the concepts such as having physical stores, a single application store, locked down OS to protect the developers/book sellers/music artists, drastic reduction in hardware variation, etc etc. If they're smart, they will also secretly have a team of people to jailbreak their own OS in order to also satisfy the more geeky users but also pretent to fight these jailbreak community. In that way, they satisfy the software developers/music artist hence gain support for the growth and success of the online application store, at the same time, meet the requirements of the more geeky users like ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.