Powered on when plugged into charger/dock = Annoying. Fix?

Search This thread

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
When my Infinity is plugged into either the power adapter or dock when it's off, it turns on. Very annoying. I'd love to be able to plug it in when it's off to charge it without it coming on. Anyone have a solution to this?

Muchas gracias in advance!!

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
Mine does this as well, but it does turn off after the cooldown timer set under Settings (in the Display section). I do not believe there is a hack available for preventing the display to turn altogether, alas.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T

cmplxsmplcty

Mar 4, 2011
New York
When my Infinity is plugged into either the power adapter or dock when it's off, it turns on. Very annoying. I'd love to be able to plug it in when it's off to charge it without it coming on. Anyone have a solution to this?

Muchas gracias in advance!!

Go to Settings > Developer Options > "Uncheck Stay Awake While Charging".

It took awhile to figure this out. I couldn't understand why my battery was draining so much, once I turned this off I could go a few days without charging.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008

It took awhile to figure this out. I couldn't understand why my battery was draining so much, once I turned this off I could go a few days without charging.

I don't think that answers his question though. Even when that option isn't checked, the device still powers on automatically when connecting the charger cable. He's trying to stop the device from coming on when connecting the power cable while the device is off...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

alienedd

Jul 1, 2009
NW Florida
Only way to get to a state of "being off" and "charging" seems to be to plug it in and then shutdown. I've had this reaction in all of my android devices. If you plug it in first with even if the battery run down so far that the device cannot power on, it still will when there is enough juice in the battery to do so.

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
I have stay awake while charging unchecked, thanks.

I've seen this in all my Android devices too, was just hoping for some sort of hack to turn it off on the Infinity.

Thanks for the replies!

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008

To answer in off-topic mode, for completeness' sake: this does absolutely NOTHING for your tablet's battery life whatsoever, provided you religiously charge it to the same level (i.e., chock-full). You might have seen the tablet homing in on the correct prediction of battery life, something it may need a few charging cycles for.

Thats OK

Jul 29, 2012
I find this "on" when plugged in feature annoying.
Didn't initially notice the tablet doing it.

Our other tablets don't do this.
Kind of a weird thing.
Maybe Asus was thinking it would be good for pushing updates while in charge mode.

MedleHed

Aug 28, 2010
Kent, WA
I've had this reaction in all of my android devices.

This is the only Android device I've seen do this, but I have only had HTC Phones. And it is annoying, but I've just learned to do like you said and turn it off after plugging it in when I want to charge it powered off. Which is kinda rare any more. I would only charge it turned off if I wasn't using the brick that came with it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

Chief Geek

Aug 13, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Just to clairify, I believe we are talking about two different things here, correct me if I'm wrong.

OP is having issue where when he has the tablet powered off completely that it then powers itself back on automatically when plugged in.

Others mentioned screen automatically turns on when plugged in and wants to stay on in some cases and even when turned off, the tablet doesnt deep sleep.

If this is correct, then I'll continue with this. i have had this happen to different devices and seems to be a feature of the ROM. One of the last ROMs I ran on my phone drove me nuts with this. I could never charge my handset with it powered off. When it was near dead and I was leaving soon, I would want it to be as juiced up as possible in a short amount of time so I would power it off and charge. Then one day after flashing I could no longer do this. Then I switched ROMs and I can again. I havn't tried this on my TF700 yet, but would find it annoying if I needed to. I have seen this happen on other devices before realizing it was connected to my ROM, although I could work around by selecting shutdown after it booted up. But with the ROM on my note it would shut down and come right back up.