[MOD] Obb on SD v0.4.2

Search This thread

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
I wanted to free up few GB from my internal storage by moving some big OBB files to "real" external SD. There are multiple apps that can do that but most of them need to patch my sdcard daemon (because I run Samsung phone), run on boot to execute the binds/mounts, they have to unmount when connecting to pc (not sure?), want me to (offer) remap various locations or pay for multiple entries...
Then there's XInternalSD which does exactly what I need except few things (requires unnecessary setup) which is why I am coming with my own version of similar module.

Module Obb on SD attempts to make it seamless - just enable module, reboot and move obb's to SD card (to same folder: Android/obb) - that's it. No need to enter any path or whitelist/blacklist any app. Do you want to only move Obb from Grand Theft Auto? Then only move that obb. Obb on SD will detect "obb on SD" and enable hooks only for this single game.

I tried various approaches. For example hooking up constructors of File() but since most of large obb's comes from games - ane they are native, it doesn't really work. I just like to have elegant and efficient solution which I thing this module is.

Need more features or move other directories? Than use FolderMount, GL to SD or other app.
Compatibility? It should be the same as XInternalSD. Almost all games I have work just fine (Rockstar, Gameloft, EA, Sega and others), the only trouble I encountered was with games from DotEmu which had hardcoded path to /mnt/sdcard from within native libraries (and it's outside of scope for Xposed to change such fopen call).

Obb on SD also tries to make Play Store update OBB files directly on SD card. It works during my tests but I hear some have issues with it. If you do, you might want to use the "no_play_store_hooks" version instead (available only from here). EDIT: Since version 0.4 there are configuration toggles for enabling/disabling Play Store hooks.

Download: Xposed Module Repository or Play Store
Source: https://github.com/moneytoo/ObbOnSd

Changelog
Code:
v0.4.2 (20160117)
- Report internal memory path in Settings (including a workaround for related issue).
- Add ad banner. Sorry for this but it's the way to keep the app free while be able to provide future updates. There's an option to purchase a single key to hide ads across all of my apps.

v0.4.1 (20160103)
- Add option for Android (5 and) 6 support (needs to be enabled manually)

v0.4 (20151226)
- Add settings screen

v0.3.2 (20141206)
- Allow Google Translate

v0.3.1 (20141018)
- Exclude first party apps (Android/Google)

v0.3 (20141007) - beta
- Add support for Obb on SD updates/removals via Play Store
- Bug fix

v0.2 (20141002) - experimental
- Add /Android/data support

v0.1 (20140922)
- Initial version

Last edited:

leung6340

Dec 16, 2009
Hi.I am using s4, it's really used up my internal space when I install big game/apps.
This module is great but I want to know if there is a chance for updating that every time when I install a app than it auto moves the obb file to SD card?
Or like folder mount choosing the appear for moving without manually moving by ourselves.
Thanks for your effort !(Sorry for my English, I am not a native speaker -_-)

Blackbird256

Apr 8, 2012
What I'm most concerned is kernel compatibility. Does this work on custom kernels? FolderMount is very strict and won't find the folders properly if the ramdisk isn't very close to stock one. Also you should add the data folder as well. The one beside obb folder. Some legacy games use that as well.

Reactions: nicesoni_ash

nicesoni_ash

May 26, 2012
Yup would be great if option for data folder would be there, though happy with obb too. Thanks.

Reactions: malcom3xxx

shivadow

Jan 26, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite
Does this interfere with storage stats and does it mean that i can just drag n drop the contents of the obb from sdcard to the android/obb on extsdcard at whim and it auto detects?

Next we just need something for internal/data/data/, besides Link2SD plus there seems to be nothing else out there. All samsung androids suffer this same issue.

Thanks for the module!.

Last edited:

zmag

Jan 25, 2011
I skeptically tried this module to ease my woes with my Galaxy S5 and all the trouble ive been having (for WEEKS) with switching my internal to external sd links.

FolderMount, Link2SD, internal2externalsd (script & app) all failed.

Obb on SD: PROFIT!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! lol

Worked first time without a hitch! Tested XCOM game (obb is 3.5 gb+) - had it installed on both internal and external (64 gb SanDisk) and App Info showed 7 gb - so I renamed the internal obb folder to 1com.etc and it still played! Now I can place all my games on external sd and save SO much room! (2.15 GB free is now 7.35 GB free!)

Running KK 4.4.2 - SM-G900P - ND2 Build (Sprint Galaxy S5)

moneytoo

Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2007
brouken.com
@leung6340 Obb & updating via Play Store: This is the next thing I want to try - handling updates from Play Store. It could work using the trick with paths changed in File() constructor in Play Store (or other service responsible for download). Will test.
@nicesoni_ash @shivadow Data dir on SD: Another thing I will most probably test and do (if it will work good enough).
@Blackbird256 Just like XInternalSD, it works on much higher level so it doesn't matter what kernel is used.
@shivadow Storage stats - depends what exactly you mean... Application manager will not report correct size though (because it will not find the obb on SD)...

misterblonde

Jul 3, 2009
Napoli
I'm trying this genial module and I past assassin creed on my external sd in android/obb but didn't work
I'm on s4 goldeneye 38.2 with talextop
any help?

Last edited:

ipois0n1

Nov 24, 2013
seems alot easier than foldermount, but oh well, i payed for the pro version so i guess ill keep using it

I skeptically tried this module to ease my woes with my Galaxy S5 and all the trouble ive been having (for WEEKS) with switching my internal to external sd links.

FolderMount, Link2SD, internal2externalsd (script & app) all failed.

Obb on SD: PROFIT!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! lol

Worked first time without a hitch! Tested XCOM game (obb is 3.5 gb+) - had it installed on both internal and external (64 gb SanDisk) and App Info showed 7 gb - so I renamed the internal obb folder to 1com.etc and it still played! Now I can place all my games on external sd and save SO much room! (2.15 GB free is now 7.35 GB free!)

Running KK 4.4.2 - SM-G900P - ND2 Build (Sprint Galaxy S5)

I currently use LINK2SD on my S5. So what do you mean that they fail? How does Odd on SD Better? PLEASE EXPLAIN...

Reactions: Urchin83
I

Iceburn1

Been waitin o soooo long

With Sd-XC you couldnt partition exFat, so i would have to put nandroids on my 64gb sd-xc with otg cable and use my old 32gb sd partitioned to take care of obb files, soooo point being this is awesome, now i can use one card. Thank you sooooo much to developer.

Last edited:

Zeyn Karim

Feb 19, 2009
Johannesburg
Xperia Z2 working flawlessly!

Thank you!!!! this is exactly what I've been looking for! no mounting or partitioning just copy obb data to external sd card and install apk and play! so far I've tried two apps/games and it's working perfectly! going to try more tomorrow but thanks again for the amazing work! we really needed this, I look forward to your future updates :)

Eymi

Sep 23, 2014
Caracas
Y use this module... only need to install and enable it... then move all of my obb files to the same directory but in the external sd, reboot and that's all. Work perfectly all apps. Better, easier and faster than link2sd and the other available options

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app

shinra00

Jan 29, 2014
Maputo
NICE!!!

moneytoo thank you very much for this amazing module! Works flawless on my sm-g3815 with CM11. Tried so many apps before and this is by far the easiest one to use, and it actually works!

Thank you very much :good:

walkwitmeinhel

Aug 11, 2012
Working awesome hats off to dev

Xperia Z1 C6902

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Hope u add data support also in future updates

Xperia Z1 C6902

RheRa

Apr 19, 2014
Jakarta
Thank You....working 100% for me, no need any tricks for it,
just install the module, activated, reboot and you ready to go.

It's realy2 what I looking for this long.............:good::good:

Publiuss

Jun 29, 2012
Hi

I'll try this interesting module! :good:
But.. why some people mention Link2Sd? It does another thing, uses another partition and it's not meant to move obb files... :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted to free up few GB from my internal storage by moving some big OBB files to "real" external SD. There are multiple apps that can do that but most of them need to patch my sdcard daemon (because I run Samsung phone), run on boot to execute the binds/mounts, they have to unmount when connecting to pc (not sure?), want me to (offer) remap various locations or pay for multiple entries...
    Then there's XInternalSD which does exactly what I need except few things (requires unnecessary setup) which is why I am coming with my own version of similar module.

Module Obb on SD attempts to make it seamless - just enable module, reboot and move obb's to SD card (to same folder: Android/obb) - that's it. No need to enter any path or whitelist/blacklist any app. Do you want to only move Obb from Grand Theft Auto? Then only move that obb. Obb on SD will detect "obb on SD" and enable hooks only for this single game.

I tried various approaches. For example hooking up constructors of File() but since most of large obb's comes from games - ane they are native, it doesn't really work. I just like to have elegant and efficient solution which I thing this module is.

Need more features or move other directories? Than use FolderMount, GL to SD or other app.
    Compatibility? It should be the same as XInternalSD. Almost all games I have work just fine (Rockstar, Gameloft, EA, Sega and others), the only trouble I encountered was with games from DotEmu which had hardcoded path to /mnt/sdcard from within native libraries (and it's outside of scope for Xposed to change such fopen call).

Obb on SD also tries to make Play Store update OBB files directly on SD card. It works during my tests but I hear some have issues with it. If you do, you might want to use the "no_play_store_hooks" version instead (available only from here). EDIT: Since version 0.4 there are configuration toggles for enabling/disabling Play Store hooks.

Download: Xposed Module Repository or Play Store
    Source: https://github.com/moneytoo/ObbOnSd

Changelog
    Code:
    v0.4.2 (20160117)
    - Report internal memory path in Settings (including a workaround for related issue).
    - Add ad banner. Sorry for this but it's the way to keep the app free while be able to provide future updates. There's an option to purchase a single key to hide ads across all of my apps.

v0.4.1 (20160103)
    - Add option for Android (5 and) 6 support (needs to be enabled manually)

v0.4 (20151226)
    - Add settings screen

v0.3.2 (20141206)
    - Allow Google Translate

v0.3.1 (20141018)
    - Exclude first party apps (Android/Google)

v0.3 (20141007) - beta
    - Add support for Obb on SD updates/removals via Play Store
    - Bug fix

v0.2 (20141002) - experimental
    - Add /Android/data support

v0.1 (20140922)
    - Initial version
    @leung6340 Obb & updating via Play Store: This is the next thing I want to try - handling updates from Play Store. It could work using the trick with paths changed in File() constructor in Play Store (or other service responsible for download). Will test.
    @nicesoni_ash @shivadow Data dir on SD: Another thing I will most probably test and do (if it will work good enough).
    @Blackbird256 Just like XInternalSD, it works on much higher level so it doesn't matter what kernel is used.
    @shivadow Storage stats - depends what exactly you mean... Application manager will not report correct size though (because it will not find the obb on SD)...
    Version 0.3 includes support for both updates and removals of obb files via Play Store. I tested it only using some artificial cases so let me know it it works for you with some real games/apps in real life. Hope this way it's more usable, especially when some one has auto update on...
    Seems like my idea on how to enable Play Store updates of OBB files on external SD is working (so far everything fine) so you can expect that in the next update ;)