Native hotspot on stock rooted

Search This thread

llawen

Dec 5, 2012
I found this in Sprint note 3 section. Used it on wifes phone. I will confirm this also works on note 4.
All credit goes to idone. Not my work. Just sharing here.
You MUST BE ROOTED.
Download sqlite editor. Open sqlite editor, select files. Then
/data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db/
Select carriers. The last 2 lines (APN2LTE internet) and (APN2 EHRPD internet) you will see (default,mms), add ,dun.
It will look like this
default,mms,dun
Make changes in both lines, reboot, enjoy.

Last edited:
Native Hotspot works perfect on stock rooted with the GalaxyTools app. GalaxyTools is what most people are using to get native hotspot working. It's super easy(it's an app, so it doesn't get much easier than that), and it includes other useful features as well.
FYI, idone is the developer of GalaxyTools https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idone.galaxymenu

Last edited:

llawen

Dec 5, 2012
I know I have it. This is just another way to do it so you dont have to use an app. Correct me if im wrong. If you use Galaxy Tools and delete app you delete hotspot mod.

llawen

Dec 5, 2012
Where did you here that. We called sprint last week. We was told $20 for 2gb, and $50 for 5gb. And 5 cents per mb overage.

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
Where did you here that. We called sprint last week. We was told $20 for 2gb, and $50 for 5gb. And 5 cents per mb overage.

I found it on my new bill and called sprint. Told them, HEY! I don't want that and I don't want to pay for it. Answer back was it's free. All you have to do is ask. Straight from sprint. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. My experience.

jimmbomb

May 22, 2010
St Louis
what does having a "native Hot Spot" do??
im on a framily shared data plan.. will this benefit me??
thanks for any and all replies

llawen

Dec 5, 2012
Ok, here's the word... Just talked to CS. if you upgrade phone and change the plan to a lower cost plan it gets thrown in. Sorry if I caused any confusion... My bad

EDIT : what sprint now calls a share plan... Less data but $30 a month less. No biggie for me.
Np. I was curious about it. My wife wanted it because att uverse pissed us off so we ditched them. She wanted to be able to pay bills on pc. This hack i posted here is perfect for her. She doesnt know anything about rooting phones and all these apps. For her less is better.... (Dont tell her I said that...roflmao). Im not giving up unlimited for anything. So hacking works for me.

kids88yj

Jan 7, 2011
I found this in Sprint note 3 section. Used it on wifes phone. I will confirm this also works on note 4.
You MUST BE ROOTED.
Select carriers. The last 2 lines (APN2LTE internet) and (APN2 EHRPD internet) you will see (default,mms), add ,dun.
It will look like this
default,mms,dun
Did this work on your wife's note 4?

llawen

Dec 5, 2012
I am running this mod on my note 4 now. Works great. I prefere this method.

The GalaxyTool method worked, overall. But I couldn't get it connect to my Surface Pro 3. I worked fine connecting to my ASUS 10" Android tablet.

I didn't have a lot time to trouble shoot. I'm thinking I may need to change security from WPA2 to WPA, but I don't recall if it was available. I do like the I was able to not broadcast the SSID; this doesn't work with WiFi Tether Router.

ZenInsight

Jun 29, 2010
Kansas City
On Sprint. Having trouble with this on the Note Edge. Doesn't seem to be working.

Keep trying to update me and rebooting the phone. It even ended up re-provisioning the phone(back to hands free activation). I think it is ok now...but it took like 5 reboots to get there.

No hotspot though. I tried with Galaxytool as well. Did not work. Caused lots of reboots and reactivation again.

I checked the SqlLite entry change, and it looks like it removed the "dun" I had entered.

hmmmmm

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8
On Sprint. Having trouble with this on the Note Edge. Doesn't seem to be working.

Keep trying to update me and rebooting the phone. It even ended up re-provisioning the phone(back to hands free activation). I think it is ok now...but it took like 5 reboots to get there.

No hotspot though. I tried with Galaxytool as well. Did not work. Caused lots of reboots and reactivation again.

I checked the SqlLite entry change, and it looks like it removed the "dun" I had entered.

hmmmmm

Is the word "share" anywhere in your plan? If so, you have hotspot included. Sprint is putting a lot of us on these so called share plans. They are cheaper and have hotspot thrown in. The gf upgraded to the s5 in September. Had her plan changed yesterday to a "share" plan $20 a month cheaper and hotspot included. FYI

ZenInsight

Jun 29, 2010
Kansas City
Is the word "share" anywhere in your plan? If so, you have hotspot included. Sprint is putting a lot of us on these so called share plans. They are cheaper and have hotspot thrown in. The gf upgraded to the s5 in September. Had her plan changed yesterday to a "share" plan $20 a month cheaper and hotspot included. FYI

I heard about this. But even though I am in a family "share" plan, it is the unlimited data 1500 minute one. SO, no hotspot for me.

tx_dbs_tx

Jan 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Correct. Paid hotspot add-on isn't unlimited even if you have an unlimited data plan, hotspot has a data allowance. If you use one of the methods mentioned in this thread then hotdpot works and uses data freely but do so at your own risk because it isn't rightfully provisioned on your account.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You MUST BE ROOTED.
    It will look like this
    default,mms,dun
    Well I did ask. Was told to pay for it. We hung up. Hacked it. Now it is free.
    What I'd like to know is, where can I find the correct version of the unlockHotpot.zip for my Sprint Note4 running the OF5 version of 5.0.1? On my Note3 back when I rooted it and was running the stock rom I used "unlockHotspot-1.2.zip". It worked great but can't find any updated versions part the NE5 version. Any help would really be great and very appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

I assume this thread is for manually editing your settings.db to temp enable mobile hotspot. However if you're looking for the hard coded hotspot enabler then look for a new flashable hotspot mod for OF5 soon. I'll have it in my rom thread soon.
    do not edit lines 17 & 20, YOU will will break something.

YOU MUST BUY THE SQLITE EDITOR BY "SPEED SOFTWARE" BECAUSE THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH ANY OTHER SQLITE EDITOR. IT'S $2.99 ON GOOGLE PLAY.

once in the app click
    FILES
    DATA (scroll down to find)
    COM.ANDROID.PROVIDERS.TELEPHONY (scroll down to find)
    DATABASES
    TELEPHONY.DB
    CARRIERS

then highlight the last two lines one at a time and each time click edit (the pen at the top)
    scroll down to where is says "type",
    ADD ,dun to default,mms. looks like this default,mms,dun
    click save

after doing both lines don't forget to reboot your phone or it won't work.

This mod is amazing, it takes 30 seconds to complete and doesn't require you to flash, the downside is that you have to pay for the app for it to work. the app is 2.99 on google play. this does not work with any other app i've tried every sqlite editor on the play store it only works with one. i think it's a monopoly lol.... anywho if you try to do this mod without the paid app, say goodbye to your data and network.

LASTLY, i have no idea what the guy before me is talking about, do not edit lines 17 and 20 AT ALL, edit the very last two lines as per the original instructions in the first post. you'll be okay. works like a charm.

HIT ME UP ON XBOX LIVE @ "SASUKE SAMURAI"
    Ok, I used Galaxy Tools to enable HotSpot. I then used SQLite to check the two files you mention and both have the ,dun extension. Am I correct in assuming that Galaxy dose this now instead of settings.db ?

Galaxy Tools adds the "dial up networking" entry into settings.db file. Its a perfectly safe way of enabling the hotspot, its just not permanent and can and will be overwritten by a system update. You can simply keep doing the hotspot mod via Galaxy Tools each time it gets disabled by the network. I prefer the modified jar file method as you can just flash and forget about it.