Any way to disable soft key lights on One S?

Search This thread

jadajada

Jul 5, 2007
I have moved to the HTC One S from the Galaxy S2. One of the most annoying things of the S2 was the soft key lights when using the phone in the dark. I solved this by using the "Screen Filter" app from the Market. I have also seen that Samsung has put the option to disable the light on those buttons in the Settings menu.

Now, on the HTC One S, the problem is back. Screen Filter does not kill the light on the buttons (it says that this won't work on all phones...) and I can not find a setting to do this.

Is there a way to kill the lights on those buttons?

jadajada

Jul 5, 2007
Am I the only one that finds this annoying? I find the phone impossible to use while in bed or in a dark lit environment...

unclespoon

Feb 8, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'll be getting the ONE S tomorrow, but on my SGSII you can go into settings > display > touch key light duration. I'm not sure if the one s has it but hopefully that helps.

jadajada

Jul 5, 2007
I know about the S2, I have one myself. I am not sure if this is a "samsung feature" or a stock ICS feature. If it is an ICS feature, then it should be possible to dim or turn off those lights on the ONE S also in one way or another? The best solution would be to switch them off permanently.

I have no use for those lights since I know where the three buttons are.

And the fact that they light up, full blast, and stay lit, when I watch movies via Mirage (Air Video client) in bed is just annoying at best.

Richy101

Aug 11, 2010
I know about the S2, I have one myself. I am not sure if this is a "samsung feature" or a stock ICS feature. If it is an ICS feature, then it should be possible to dim or turn off those lights on the ONE S also in one way or another? The best solution would be to switch them off permanently.

I have no use for those lights since I know where the three buttons are.

And the fact that they light up, full blast, and stay lit, when I watch movies via Mirage (Air Video client) in bed is just annoying at best.

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem. I use my phone as an alarm clock, and now leave the display turned off as those pesky little lights on the buttons blaze away all night :mad:

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
What alarm clock do you use that the lights stay on? That doesnt make any sense. I use my phone as an alarm. Screen shuts off as normal and when the alert comes in it turns on like normal.

Sent from my HTC one sex

Richy101

Aug 11, 2010
What alarm clock do you use that the lights stay on? That doesnt make any sense. I use my phone as an alarm. Screen shuts off as normal and when the alert comes in it turns on like normal.

Sent from my HTC one sex

Sorry, I'm maybe not explained it clearly. I use Gentle Alarm that has a night time display of the time. My old phone the button back lights (4) used to turn off. With the HOS they stay on and there seems to be no option to turn them off. There is only 3 of them of now on the HOS but they are quite bright. If the light is bright enough they turn off during the day but at night they blaze away regardless. I currently just turn the screen off and Gentle Alarm still works of course but with no time display. Not a big issue as only useful if you happen to wake in the night and wonder what time it was. I only ask because I wonder if I've missed an option somewhere. Screen Filter has the option to turn them off but does not work with the HOS.

elracing21

Apr 11, 2009
Bronx
I understand now. I didn't know people leave their displays on for alarm clock use. As far as I know there is no way to completely disable the capacitive buttons. Sorry bud.

Sent from my HTC one sex

apollouser

Oct 29, 2009
You could also manually set the brightness of the display just bright enough that the phone disables the softkey lights.

Edit: nvm. It only works while using auto brightness.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using XDA

Last edited:

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
i would also like to know if anyone finds a fix i was watching a movie on my phone last night to keep it quiet and them lights satyed on all the time i also looked for the settings like they had on the sgs2 but no dice

jayelbird

Apr 26, 2012
I wrote a tasker task that will disable the lights on the capacitative buttons. You can use it to automatically disable the lights when in whichever app your want or set it up to have a toggle. I use both.
The task does require root. And Tasker, obviously.
If anyone else is interested I can export it and post it.

funziebear

Mar 28, 2011
cali
I wrote a tasker task that will disable the lights on the capacitative buttons. You can use it to automatically disable the lights when in whichever app your want or set it up to have a toggle. I use both.
The task does require root. And Tasker, obviously.
If anyone else is interested I can export it and post it.

I'm in

Sent from my Ville using xda premium

jayelbird

Apr 26, 2012
Main Task
Example Toggle Task

To use: ensure that you have root. If you have not already granted Tasker root access before, you will have to when using this task. Import at least the main task (called button light) into Tasker. To use it, either create your own task to reference it, or import the toggle task.
Using the toggle task: Just run the task (for example, create a shortcut to the task on your homepage), and select if you want the task on, off or on system default.
Using your own task: In your task, use the Perform Task action. Var1 should be either On, Off, or System. (For example, create a profile for MX Player, Enter action is Perform Task with var1 Off, and Exit Task is Perform Task with var2 system. This task can be downloaded here for you to edit from.)

All files are also attached.

Click Thanks if it works for you.

Attachments

• Button_light.tsk.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 228

jayelbird

Apr 26, 2012
In essence, that is what the Tasker task does, but if you just change the value of that file, then Sense will just restore it as soon as it detects that the light values have changed. I couldn't get it to stick without root. The Tasker task also changes the permissions for that file, thus preventing Sense from changing it until you unlock the file again.

jayelbird

Apr 26, 2012
The most that Tasker can do right now is detect if there was a volume change and wake the phone, although I can et you a profile for that if you want it.
Button remapping might be a better avenue to take. Try changing the codes for the button remapping.

Reactions: energizer5680

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Main Task
    Example Toggle Task

To use: ensure that you have root. If you have not already granted Tasker root access before, you will have to when using this task. Import at least the main task (called button light) into Tasker. To use it, either create your own task to reference it, or import the toggle task.
    Using the toggle task: Just run the task (for example, create a shortcut to the task on your homepage), and select if you want the task on, off or on system default.
    Using your own task: In your task, use the Perform Task action. Var1 should be either On, Off, or System. (For example, create a profile for MX Player, Enter action is Perform Task with var1 Off, and Exit Task is Perform Task with var2 system. This task can be downloaded here for you to edit from.)

All files are also attached.

Click Thanks if it works for you.
    You can go to sys/class/leds/button-backlight/ then open the "brightness" file in a text editor and change "255" to "0" then save.
    The most that Tasker can do right now is detect if there was a volume change and wake the phone, although I can et you a profile for that if you want it.
    Button remapping might be a better avenue to take. Try changing the codes for the button remapping.
    if you are rooted and have init.d support, you can put a file containing this:
    Code:
    chmod 666 /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/max_brightness
    echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/max_brightness
    chmod 444 /sys/class/leds/button-backlight/max_brightness
    ..in your /system/etc/init.d/ folder. It will disable button backlight on boot.
    With a rooted phone, the easiest way is RootDim (availible @ Google Play).