[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!

Search This thread

traesnaidensdad

Nov 22, 2010
Selmer ,TN
HTC One (m7)
AT&T HTC One X
What about splash screens for those who rooted on 2.20 and haven't or isnt willing to attempt the downgrade? Thanks. I used to follow you on another 3 letter site with my first Android.....Samsung Moment. My first rooted phone!

sent from the AT&T OneXL that replaced my Sprint O.G. EvO4G........hmm

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6
What about splash screens for those who rooted on 2.20 and haven't or isnt willing to attempt the downgrade? Thanks. I used to follow you on another 3 letter site with my first Android.....Samsung Moment. My first rooted phone!

Nope, the splash partition I believe is write protected on the 2.20 firmware

Try downgrading, its simpler thank you think. Just takes patience and time, your phone will always be recoverable from that state so there is a slim chance of bricking. If all else fails we have many willing members of this community that will help you through it

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: traesnaidensdad

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks for the response some apps would be the android 4.2 camera with the gallery the 4.2 keyboard with emoji heres a link to a few http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1970625

maybe custom boot & down animations (i usually disable mine but others may enjoy it)

That's all i can think of off the top of my head i hope that helps
Perfect feedback. At first glance, I'm hesitant to support this as some /system files can't be copied over while Android is using them. I will add this to my to-do list and research this out. Thanks!

Could you provide a link to the technical details behind the splash screen flashing method(s)? I'm interested in studying this. Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate the support from the Samsung Moment days and now!

doc_v15

Oct 15, 2010
Amazing!!! I just got my one xl 2days ago, and I was thinking that it would be great if someone could make an apps that allows us flashing boot.img without a pc!!!
Rock my world!!

Sent from my HTC One XL

Passa91

Dec 17, 2010
Am I doing something wrong? I have a Telstra One XL, I just bought the app from the store... tried flashing a new kernel, and when it reboots, I have the same kernel as before. :/

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Am I doing something wrong? I have a Telstra One XL, I just bought the app from the store... tried flashing a new kernel, and when it reboots, I have the same kernel as before. :/
Can you provide a link to the file you're flashing? I will investigate. Thanks!

Neozx25

I've tried flashing the img through the entire romantic file, however, it malfunctions upon flashing then the romantic as it displays errors. Phone . android shut down.acore shutdown... So on, and so forth. I followed the steps explicitly. I didnt use any application to restore core Google apps before or after. I tried flashing the corresponding Google apps for the romantic separately and without. Getting the same errors resulting in having to just restore to my previous state. I've done this with 3 different roms. Any advice beyond having to resort to using my pc to flash boot.img?

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

Woops! Romantic = ROM! haha.... Oh and I've got an AT&T One XL. If that means anything...

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

salutcemoi

Oct 29, 2012
I know its an HOX thread (I have a HOS), but I just want to thank the maker of this app as Im a total noob

I ran into a lot of issues after rooting my phone (S-ON with HBOOT 1.13) for the 1st time, and this app is a miracle

Best $$$$$ I've ever spent in the Play Store

Last edited:

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Looked at the rohan.kernel.b6-normal.zip and appears to be setup fine and should flash without any issue. As there are multiple files provided at the link you gave, can you confirm which exact file you flashed ?

I know its an HOX thread (I have a HOS), but I just want to thank the maker of this app as Im a total noob
I ran into a lot of issues after rooting my phone (S-ON with HBOOT 1.13) for the 1st time, and this app is a miracle
Best $$$$$ I've ever spent in the Play Store
Thanks for the positive feedback and support!!

Passa91

Dec 17, 2010
Looked at the rohan.kernel.b6-normal.zip and appears to be setup fine and should flash without any issue. As there are multiple files provided at the link you gave, can you confirm which exact file you flashed ?

That's the exact file I tried to flash. Do you want me to do some kind of log? Would a logcat help?

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
That's the exact file I tried to flash. Do you want me to do some kind of log? Would a logcat help?
Not sure a logcat would be helpful. I don't think there should be any issue flashing this file. Can anybody else confirm this specific .zip file doesn't flash? If so, does it flash properly from recovery?
If more people are experiencing issues with this one file, I'd be interested in setting up a time we can work through the issue. Thanks for the support!

DvineLord

Aug 29, 2010
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
AT&T HTC One X
i flashed rohan, jacob, and every other rom boot.img fine. flashimagegui works flawless for our phones. just make sure you reboot right away when it tells you to, if you continue to use the phone afterwards everything will FC and lockup which is always fun =)

Reactions: joeykrim

mushat3k

Mar 12, 2012
Cleveland
I am having an issue since upgrading to the sense jb Rom. The version I was using here is 1.4.7, it worked on any Rom prior:
va7ygu6a.jpg

So then I went to the official thread and downloaded a newer version 1.4.9 and it says my phone is an EVO 4G LTE. I assume it is not safe to use it?
unu9y7az.jpg

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I am having an issue since upgrading to the sense jb Rom. The version I was using here is 1.4.7, it worked on any Rom prior:
va7ygu6a.jpg

So then I went to the official thread and downloaded a newer version 1.4.9 and it says my phone is an EVO 4G LTE. I assume it is not safe to use it?
unu9y7az.jpg

The app is still safe to use.
What kernel are you using? Can you provide a link? I'm wondering if that kernel I abusing the same ram disk as the EVO 4G LTE.
Thanks for raising the issue.

mushat3k

Mar 12, 2012
Cleveland
The app is still safe to use.
What kernel are you using? Can you provide a link? I'm wondering if that kernel I abusing the same ram disk as the EVO 4G LTE.
Thanks for raising the issue.

I am using the first release of this rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2055490 which I can't seem to find a link to the first release. I will give it a try and see what happens!

Edit: I flashed a rom without issue, the kernel i was and still appear to be using is the stock kernel used for the jb sense roms for the one xl. I can provide the boot.img if that would help at all.

Awesome app man, saves me a ton of hassle, especially installing Linux and downgrading my hboot!

Last edited:

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I am using the first release of this rom http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2055490 which I can't seem to find a link to the first release. I will give it a try and see what happens!

Edit: I flashed a rom without issue, the kernel i was and still appear to be using is the stock kernel used for the jb sense roms for the one xl. I can provide the boot.img if that would help at all.

Awesome app man, saves me a ton of hassle, especially installing Linux and downgrading my hboot!

Thanks for the follow up information, link and support! If you're familiar with ADB, could you paste the results for the following command?
adb shell ls -l /

Not sure why but it appears that HTC is sharing some similarities between the EVO 4G LTE kernel and XL kernel in the latest JB update...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Description:
    This android application, FlashImageGUI, is basically a GUI interface for the linux binary, flash_image provided by google in AOSP for loading custom kernels and recovery images onto the phone.
    This app allows the flashing of kernels and custom recovery images in normal android mode!

Current Device Support:
    Full Kernel, Logo and Recovery flashing: Samsung Moment, Transform, Intercept and Acclaim - the s3c6410 series of devices
    Full Kernel (Anykernel and boot.img) Flashing and Recovery (zip file or image) flashing: HTC One XL, One S, EVO 4G LTE, EVO 3D CDMA and GSM, Amaze, Vivid/Holiday, EVO 4G, EVO Shift, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus (GSM & CDMA), Nexus S/Nexus S 4G & LG Optimus
    Full Kernel (zImage) Flashing: Samsung Epic
    Check application version for updates

Credits for HTC One XL Testing:
    Special Thanks to: dorkboy69 and DvineLord
    Old tester thread

Credits:
    birbeck for the usual random java guidance, slushpupie for his previous java guidance, dodgejcr for extreme amounts of testing, and one_love_420 and shift for some great graphics!
    testers: JT-, couga6442, happytweak and many others I might have forgot in the furry of three days I built the initial app from scratch.!
    Thanks to SDX

Background:
    flash_image (bmlwrite) is an extremely useful utility for flashing custom kernels, boot logos (so far ONLY Samsung devices) and recoveries. This binary has made it possible to easily flash all these items and is used almost everywhere behind the scenes (i.e. in custom recoveries, packaged into kernel /sbin, etc).

Custom Recovery
    Supports both CWM and TWRP!

Future Support:
    Will continue to test kernels as they are released to ensure compatibility!

Install Directions:
    Install process is the same as any other .apk. Download to computer and adb push or mount sdcard on computer and copy over or download directly to the phone. Use any file manager, adb, connectbot/terminal emulator to install.
    My preferred method, maybe a bit more technical: ./adb install c:\downloads\FlashImageGUI.apk

Download Locations
    Market (99 cents!): Flash Image GUI
    Release version (free): Flash Image GUI

Any questions, comments, concerns, or issues, please post in this thread or send me an email! Thanks for all the help and support!

FAQ:
    Q: Will this app support a marketplace to pick and chose kernels from?
    A: No. Use Kernel Manager!

Screenshots:
    FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-gn-v1.4.2-50.png

FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-optionsmenu-evo3d-v1.3.2-50.png

sshot-FlashImageGUI-main-portrait-flash-kernel-evo3d-50.png

Please post any helpful feedback. I'm always looking to improve the application!

HTC Unlock - User Guides for Flash Image GUI!!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for ROMs with a Kernel (boot.img file):
    1) Unlock using Official HTC method
    2) Load this application, Flash Image GUI, onto the device, either through the Market or the link provided in this OP.
    3) Download ROM .zip file to the sdcard on the device.
    4) Open up Flash Image GUI, select Browse and select the ROM .zip file, downloaded to /sdcard in the previous step.
    5) Flash Image GUI will provide a warning, reminding that the ROM .zip file will *need* to be flashed in the custom recovery afterward.
    6) Flash Image GUI will index the full ROM .zip file searching for the kernel and kernel modules. Once located, the Flash Image button should be enabled.
    7) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel modules and kernel from inside the ROM zip file.
    8) Select reboot recovery.
    9) Inside the custom recovery, wipe cache and dalvik-cache (consult specific ROM directions) then load/flash the ROM zip file.
    10) Reboot to normal Android mode and all should work including Wifi!

HTC Unlock - Users Guide for flashing ONLY a Kernel (zip file):
    1) Make sure the selected Kernel is compatible with the currently loaded ROM. If not, this will result in a lot of frustration!!! See troubleshooting steps below.
    2) Download kernel zip file to /sdcard.
    3) Open Flash Image GUI, browse and select kernel zip file, downloaded/loaded to sdcard in previous step.
    3) Flash Image GUI will validate the kernel zip file is contains the minimum required files
    4) Select the Flash Image button and Flash Image GUI will load the kernel and the kernel modules from the source kernel zip file.
    5) Reboot

Basic Troubleshooting:
    Troubleshooting after Rebooting:

First step, when experiencing issues flashing is to RE FLASH the files again. Many times, re flashing again will clear up any issues.

If not, as a courtesy, I've provided general guidelines and suggestions below.

If the device is not booting, the majority of the time, this is not related to Flash Image GUI and therefore outside the scope of this application and thread. Generally, the root cause is due to user error in flashing a bad kernel or wrong kernel/ROM combination. Please refer to other threads/posts to learn more about the specific device limitations imposed by the HTC unlock process and generally accepted practices of recovering from a mistake.

Issue #1: If the device hangs or reboots while on the splash screen, the kernel (or packaged ramdisk in the kernel) is NOT compatible with your device!!!
    Solution for #1: 1) Boot into fastboot. 2) Load the custom recovery (Command: fastboot boot c:\downloads\recovery.img). 3) Flash a known good kernel or restore a previously known good nandroid backup
    Issue #2: If the device hangs or reboots while on the boot animation, the ROM is likely NOT compatible with the kernel!!!
    Solution for #2: 1) Boot into fastboot. 2) Load the custom recovery. 3) Flash a known good ROM/kernel combination either from a zip file or restore from a known good nandroid backup.
    Here is a video if you guys want to see it in action, I didnt know at the time but you can select the rom from the app and it will extract and install the boot.img for you so you dont have to extract anything like i did in my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP5dX23aZ1M
    Sweet, that was quicker then expected.

Going to do a video review on this in a few hours.
    Hi everybody and thanks for the great work !

I have an HOXL under CyanogenMod 10.1 and I have to swich to hboot 2.14 tu be able to update the rom, but I'm scared about using a wrong hboot img. My CID is 11111111. Which hboot img should I use please ?

Thanks ! :p

I think you're getting a little bit confused between hboot and boot.img, they're entirely different things. And it's not only the hboot you need to upgrade to run cm10.1, you need to upgrade the entire firmware, so you need to run an RUU.

You have SuperCID (11111111) which is good, but you need to make sure you're s-off before you RUU otherwise you'll brick your phone. Follow the instructions on the s-off thread, it's very easy. Then you can run the 3.18 RUU.

Sent from my Evita
    so i used this to flash a boot img to flash CM10. worked no problem but thr rom itself didnt seem complete so i rebooted to recovery to restore my backup. now when i reboot after restoring my phone hangs on the HTC logo. any help?

well u have to flash the boot.img from ur backup. no reason why backups would be any different.