How-to- Root, Hack, and Flashing your G1/Dream Read first!!

Search This thread

dyussen

Jan 23, 2009
Minnesota
Edit: also, I was using an app called Power Manager to apply battery profiles to my phone under different circumstances, I.e. when it is plugged in, it brightens the screen and stays awake longer, when running on battery it dims screen and sleeps often...well it still works, but only manually. Its supposed to apply the profiles automatically for a given event like plugging in the charger, but since I rooted I can't get it to do it automatically, I hafta go in and select the profile manually...any ideas?

Go in Power Manager and make sure the dot next to "Monitor" is lit up red. If not, tap it once and you're set. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the app. I'm using it on the JF RC33 update with no probs.

McLin

Feb 1, 2007
Lohfelden
www.cardomain.com
Plug USB Cable on Mac Mount your SD Card from Android go on Mac to Programs / System Utilities / HDD Utility? I dont know have an German one, and select the Device and Format as MS Dos

maximosis

Feb 8, 2009
question

For some reason after I follow the Type "telnetd" step it wont let me download the telnet client from the market... Then if i do not type telnet it does let me download it.. Am i supposed to be typing TELNET with the Quotations? " "? im almost at root just downgraded successfully to rc29 can someone help if anyone is out there?

LeetBlu

Mar 23, 2008
anything with trying to install hardspl, im up to my wits end...:mad::mad:

Installing from sdcard...
finding update package...
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0
p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(invalid argument)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
installation aborted

Press home+back to reboot

:confused::confused:

djstimpy

May 7, 2007
can someone please help me, ive tried over and over again to install RC29
and everytime i goes thru then i can't press the power button to install it
heres a pix everytime i get to this screen, it seems like everything just locks up.
PIC_0028.jpg

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
i ve been following the rooting instructrions but for some reason i cant get pass the telnet part. the first three commands go smoothly but the last one (cat recovery.img > /system/recovery image it keeps telling me cannot create. my rc is rc29 ide appeciate it if someone can help

read thru my abbreviated walkthru in my signature

sounds like maybe you didn't remount the system as writable

Autarkis

Dec 12, 2008
Basel
So my question is: what _exactly_ (in technical terms) did you do so that the original spl accepts the firmware you can download in the first post to flash back to a root bug enabled .29 version?

Some checksum that has to be right for the original spl/whatever?

Maybe if someone can explain the exact details how this was done i can redo it for the EU version.

Thanks in advance!

In technical terms... somebody apparently "found" (as in, it dropped from the sky ;)) an official image file, like the one they flash the G1 with in the final stages of fabrication. This is the file we all came to know and love as DREAIMG.nbh . It is a stock RC29 and signed with release-keys, so the standard bootloader accepts it without any problems, and it still has the telnetd - bug. That's the exploit that JK, Koush and the Gang used to bring us these awesome HowTos on flashing HardSPL and consequently custom image files (signed with test-keys so that T-Mobile can't OTA your root away from you).

Well, someone might someday "lose", or "mail to a wrong recipient" the DREAIMG.nbh for the German hardware. I guess, sadly, since Google isn't going to stand up for your right as a customer, this will be your best bet of getting root.

However, I suggest pestering Google about getting root. It might help for said file "suddenly appear" on the Internetz. (Note, I said "pester Google", not the nice folks at Google forums.)

Good luck!

daddycat31

Feb 10, 2009
I have a quick question...if i have root & JFv1.41 RC30, and i want to go up to root & JF1.41 RC33, which step of the process should i start at? that's assuming i don't have to do the entire thing from scratch.

ritz256

Feb 11, 2009
upgrading after rooting

So after I get root on my phone, will upgrading to the RC33 version make me lose root access?

pnator

Nov 14, 2008
hello,

i'm noob on these things but i rooted my g1 UK phone to RC8 jfv1.41 a while ago and now i wonder:

can i flash the new RC33 to my phone?

i've understand that R8 is for UK phones and RC30->33 for US phones?? is that correct.

thanks in advance, this is a great forum!

fargosys

Feb 10, 2009
Hi All, need some help..

Ive been following this guide and have got as far as applying the HARDSPL...so far so good.
however i dont seem to be able to apply the RC8.

The link given downloads the RC8 Build Enviroment, as opposed to an RC8 image.
I have renamed this to UPDATE.ZIP and added to the SD card. i then ALT S to apply but it says cannot open file.

So my questions are:-

Does it matter if i use RC8 or the RC30-33 (im in the UK)

Should the Sd Card ONLY have the RC8 ZIP file on it (there have been no instructions to remove the previous Recovery and hardspl files. perhaps the prev poster pnator could help as he is like me a noob to these things (well jailbroke my iphone but that was all GUI lol)

Driving me nuts and i have searched all i could..

many many thanks in advance

Tankepr

Feb 11, 2009
Noob question:

If I have a ADP, which steps do I need to skip in the process? Do I need to downgrade first? Which image should I use?

IronWolve

May 8, 2008
Seattle
LG V30
New RC33 Phone

The instructions mention RC29 or lower. What is the method if you have a new phone with RC33 ?

I already bricked my first G1 back in November, not looking forward to doing it again.

Top Liked Posts