[Q] Downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3

Search This thread

cadogan341

Apr 27, 2013
ss

I have a some experience with flashing but just couldnt remember what the 'SS' meant.I don't think i have Safestrap installed as i just followed the instructions from this tutorial on this thread.So more than likely i will need to install SS then it should work fine?

Boot phone into safestrap by selecting the menu key when the safestrap splashscreen shows.
Then select install.
Navigate to the .zip file and flash.
Then reboot
Sorry if I'm oversimplifying it but I'm not sure how much flashing you have done.

klabit87

Jul 11, 2011
I have a some experience with flashing but just couldnt remember what the 'SS' meant.I don't think i have Safestrap installed as i just followed the instructions from this tutorial on this thread.So more than likely i will need to install SS then it should work fine?

yes you will need to install safestrap in order to use the flashable .zip file by gigilie

Reactions: cadogan341

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was rooted in 4.3, unrooted and successfully took the 4.4.2 OTA. While browsing the forum I saw other people state they'd successfully downgraded back to rooted 4.3. I attempted to do this first with Serge1223 's instructions on his rooted 4.4.2, and this failed. I then tried the no-wipe and COMPLETE-WIPE methods.

Now all I get from ODIN is the following:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
    <OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
    <OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
    <OSM> Please wait..
    <OSM> I545VRUEMK2_I545VZWEMK2_I545VRUEMK2_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
    <OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
    <OSM> Leave CS..
    <ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
    <ID:0/006> File analysis..
    <ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/006> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/006> There is no PIT partition.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
    <ID:0/006> Removed!!
    <ID:0/006> Added!!

Help? Please? I can boot into both Recovery and Download modes, but cannot get a fix to take.

Once you've updated to 4.4, you can't flash a 4.3 ROM because the kernel has a higher rev level than the kernel in MJ7/MK2.
    You've got to use Surge's directions to flash just the base ROM, leaving the 4.4 kernel in place. Then you need to use bypasslkm to install the WiFi module to allow WiFi to work.

This is why I'm trying to discourage people from going to 4.4. You CAN NOT completely return to MK2 - you can get most of the way there, but can't get the MK2 kernel back, so you've got to use bypasslkm.

I'm still on MK2 and will stay there until a lot more of this is figured out. I'd recommend that you either stay with MK2, or assume that once you go to NC5 that you're not going to have to live with it.
    Okay I am officially on 4.3. The wifi, like you said doesn't work. Which root did you end up using?

The only rooting technique I found was saferoot. That worked quickly and easily for me. To fix wifi, I ended up downloading bypasslkm and having to install it to /data/local/tmp (meaning this is on your base directory). I don't know your background, so I'm just trying to be thorough. People have said you can "ADB push" the file, but that sounded too tedious to me. So since I had root, I snagged a File Manager with Root capabilities (I use ES File Explorer, but X-plore or Total Commander should do the trick as well). I copied the file "bypasslkm" from the zip file attached which I found among Surge1223's posts, and then I downloaded the Bypasslkm.apk from @klabit87 's post. Finally, I setup a script in Tasker triggered by Booting of the phone to load this app into memory every time, thus having Wifi functional on Boot.

For your ease of access I've attached the bypasslkm.zip and bypasslkm.apk if you wish to have them. I can also explain the Tasker script if so desired, if you've never worked with Tasker.
    Thanks a lot for your reply @k1mu.

I have had a difficult time understanding Serge1223's instructions on how to flash only the base ROM. I don't quite get how to use bypasslkm. Is it possible you could explain (to someone still seeking a deeper understanding) more detailed instructions?

When you update to 4.4.2, there's a new kernel. You can't downgrade that kernel since the bootloader won't allow it.
    So, when you downgrade, you install most of the MK2 system, but leave the NC2 or NC5 kernel in place.
    Since kernel modules are signed, you can't install a MK2 WiFi driver on the NCx version of the kernel.
    What bypasslkm does is to flip the flag that tells the kernel to enforce proper module signatures. This allows the kernel to load the wifi module from the MK2 build without having it be rejected. That's why you need bypasslkm.

That's the explanation of what bypasslkm does. The directions for running it aren't all that hard - push to /data/local/tmp using adb, then run it at boot time. If you can't get that working, then you're probably going to have to stick with Kit Kat until the downgrade process gets better refined.

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

If I don't have Safestrap already installed, am I out of luck? Is my phone just... dead, even though it can boot into Download and Recovery modes?

You can always use ODIN to flash the Kit Kat ROM again once the NB5 kit becomes available.
    I can't get it to boot into anything anymore other Download Mode that now says "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again", but Kies doesn't recognize my phone. :(

I fear I may have wiped my partitions. How do I repartition or reinstall 4.4.2? I'd be happy to be back on 4.4.2 with no root and a functional phone....

In your "encountered an issue", try using volume up or volume down. One of those may get you past the error and allow a boot to succeed.
    I reflashed and it got to the verizon boot logo. It's been there for 5-10 min and I think it might be stuck there even though the animation is still continuing (light shining over text). Is this where you format and wipe cache?

yes. That sounds precisely where I Format and Whiped the Cache.