[Q] Cannot Unlock Bootloader on Windows 8.1

Search This thread

killfire72

Apr 6, 2013
Hello,

I cannot get the bootloader unlock working on my Win 8.1 laptop by any means. If I try through hasoon2000's toolkit, I get the error that the ADB server did not ACK (whatever that means). If I try using the command line and HTC's official method of getting the TokenID, I get a message that a certain ADB-related dll is not installed. I have installed the USB drivers that come with hasoon2000's toolkit about 4 times now. I installed the Android SDK and even Samsung USB drivers. I'm going to uninstall everything, can someone walk me through the step-by-step to get things working? I've read that USB 3.0 is the problem, but I only have USB 3.0 ports on my laptop.

Last edited:

natxoga

Feb 11, 2010
A Coruña
Hello,

I cannot get the bootloader unlock working on my Win 8.1 laptop by any means. If I try through hasoon2000's toolkit, I get the error that the ADB server did not ACK (whatever that means). If I try using the command line and HTC's official method of getting the TokenID, I get a message that a certain ADB-related dll is not installed. I have installed the USB drivers that come with hasoon2000's toolkit about 4 times now. I installed the Android SDK and even Samsung USB drivers. I'm going to uninstall everything, can someone walk me through the step-by-step to get things working? I've read that USB 3.0 is the problem, but I only have USB 3.0 ports on my laptop.

Use another computer if you can.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
I had similar problems until I used this version of adb
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5mieo2vxjd71ws/android-tools.zip

Run everything from the downloaded folder.
First of all ensure you have USB DEBUGGING enabled in DEVELOPER OPTIONS in the phone settings.
Open the downloaded folder then right click inside the folder while holding shift then choose 'Open command Windows here'
Plug in the phone using the original HTC usb cable then in the command window type ADB DEVICES. The response should be a device comprised of letters and numbers.
If you don't see any device attached try swapping the cable to another usb port. If you see your device attached then follow the unlock instructions at HTCDEV as its the most reliable way.
If still no device then it could be a usb driver problem. You should here a ding when you plug your phone in.
Make sure the Unlock_code.bin is in the above folder when unlocking.

Last edited:

killfire72

Apr 6, 2013
Run everything from the downloaded folder.
First of all ensure you have USB DEBUGGING enabled in DEVELOPER OPTIONS in the phone settings.
Open the downloaded folder then right click inside the folder while holding shift then choose 'Open command Windows here'
Plug in the phone using the original HTC usb cable then in the command window type ADB DEVICES. The response should be a device comprised of letters and numbers.
If you don't see any device attached try swapping the cable to another usb port. If you see your device attached then follow the unlock instructions at HTCDEV as its the most reliable way.
If still no device then it could be a usb driver problem. You should here a ding when you plug your phone in.
Make sure the Unlock_code.bin is in the above folder when unlocking.

That version of ADB didn't work for me either. Anyway I was able to get fastboot to work but not ADB so I was able to unlock and root and everything through a strange method using only fastboot.

Second question, if I am switching between AOSP roms, say for example CM to PA, can I dirty flash or do I have to reset?

xeron72548

May 26, 2013
Pearland
ADB does not work with USB 3.0 ports yet on Windows 8 or 8.1. You have to use it on a USB 2.0 port. I have had best results with Windows 7. Fastboot, however, works just fine on 8.1 and 8

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
ADB does not work with USB 3.0 ports yet on Windows 8 or 8.1. You have to use it on a USB 2.0 port. I have had best results with Windows 7. Fastboot, however, works just fine on 8.1 and 8
Not so, I and others have ADB working fine on USB 3.0 ports.

The problem is Windows 8 driver signing enforcement blocking the install of drivers. You need to go to advanced startup options to disable it.

Download these drivers first and extract: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i3lcm7dwl581518/ADB_Fastboot_Drivers_Win81.zip

Follow these instructions to disable driver signing enforcement: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/...gnature-enforcement-in-windows-8-and-8.1.html

Once fully booted go into device manager and you should see a device called 'Android 1.0' with an exclamation mark.
Right click 'Android 1.0' then 'update driver software' then 'Browse my computer for driver software'
Click the 'Browse' button and then browse to the driver folder 'ADB_Fastboot_Drivers_Win81' extracted earlier then click next to install the driver.
You will get a warning about unsigned drivers, just ignore and continue.
The drivers should install and you should see a new entry in device manager called 'Android phone' which means the ADB driver is installed.
ADB should now be working. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: xeron72548

My Beer Belly

May 3, 2014
It sounds like you've got plenty of technical help already, but I will say that I use ADB perfectly fine on my desktop with Win 8.1 so it's possible. I also use hassoon's toolkit occasionally with no issue.

Before I could get the desktop to recognize the M8 I had to completely uninstall all drivers related to my previous galaxy nexus as well as remove any mention of the device in Window's USBdeview. After a reboot, I just plugged in the M8 and windows automatically installed the necessary M8 drivers. I can then run fastboot and adb from the toolkit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not so, I and others have ADB working fine on USB 3.0 ports.

The problem is Windows 8 driver signing enforcement blocking the install of drivers. You need to go to advanced startup options to disable it.

Download these drivers first and extract: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i3lcm7dwl581518/ADB_Fastboot_Drivers_Win81.zip

Follow these instructions to disable driver signing enforcement: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/...gnature-enforcement-in-windows-8-and-8.1.html

Once fully booted go into device manager and you should see a device called 'Android 1.0' with an exclamation mark.
    Right click 'Android 1.0' then 'update driver software' then 'Browse my computer for driver software'
    Click the 'Browse' button and then browse to the driver folder 'ADB_Fastboot_Drivers_Win81' extracted earlier then click next to install the driver.
    You will get a warning about unsigned drivers, just ignore and continue.
    The drivers should install and you should see a new entry in device manager called 'Android phone' which means the ADB driver is installed.
    ADB should now be working. ;)