[SGH-M919] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact supported model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices (Galaxy S1, Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, and many more) and has clocked over 13 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Stock recovery

Installation and usage
Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Why isn't this just called CF-Root
The traditional CF-Root's included a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc) and were meant for devices that had a single kernel/recovery combination. CF-Auto-Root doesn't include a custom recovery and is meant for devices that have kernel and recovery separate (so you can manually install any custom recovery you wish). The Auto part comes from the fact that a large part of the process is automated (though it constantly needs adjusting)

Not included - Triangle Away
Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
ODIN Installation (detailed)

Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!

- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download

SGH-M919: CF-Auto-Root-jfltetmo-jfltetmo-sghm919.zip

Other models

International Samsung Exynos GT-I9500: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292615
International Qualcomm Snapdragon GT-I9505: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2219803
Canadian: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293800
Sprint: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2291827
AT&T: Bootloader locked, do not use CF-Auto-Root on it
VZW: Bootloader locked, do not use CF-Auto-Root on it

History

2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30

jasonftfw

Jun 19, 2010
Lombard, IL
Works great.

Device status in system settings went to custom, but triangle away with allow tracker to run fixed that and it's official as well in bootloader.

unk2009

Jul 22, 2009
New York(Hudson Valley)
Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!

- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- Click the Start button

NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.

Thank you...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Reactions: tech9iner

sorphin

Dec 10, 2009
Can this be done after the update or only before? (I haven't done the update yet, so i want to make sure before I do)..

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
So is it official that triangle away is working for the SGH-M919? I've been following the thread but haven't seen anything in terms of our device being covered.

Great work on making CF-Auto-Root for us, this will go a long way for those whom have trouble pushing root.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

Reactions: Bcgrizzfan
May 10, 2007
Can this be done after the update or only before? (I haven't done the update yet, so i want to make sure before I do)..

So is it official that triangle away is working for the SGH-M919? I've been following the thread but haven't seen anything in terms of our device being covered.

Great work on making CF-Auto-Root for us, this will go a long way for those whom have trouble pushing root.

Confirmed that it DOES work on the LATEST OTA update and with the help of triangle away, I am also at the 0 counter mark.

Thanks a lot man!:good:

sorphin

Dec 10, 2009
So I did the OTA upgrade, ran this, ran triangle away... I have root, (And yes I rebooted), but Device Status still says 'Custom'.

sorphin

Dec 10, 2009
Do you have an insecure boot image?

I don't know about the other person with this issue, but my bootloader is unlocked (T-Mobile's isn't locked)... Other than that, I followed what the post says, i didn't make any other changes to the phone.

-Falco

Nov 10, 2012
So I did the OTA upgrade, ran this, ran triangle away... I have root, (And yes I rebooted), but Device Status still says 'Custom'.

If you are rooted or have custom firmware then triangle away wine make it go away completely. You need to be completely Stock or it will not completely go away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm starting a development team for the OUYA gaming console. If you want more information message me or follow this link:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2290843
Phone: Tmobile Samsung Galaxy s4 m919
Rom: Wicked v2
Kernel: Stock
Radio: Stock

sorphin

Dec 10, 2009
If you are rooted or have custom firmware then triangle away wine make it go away completely. You need to be completely Stock or it will not completely go away.

I'm starting a development team for the OUYA gaming console. If you want more information message me or follow this link:

I'm completely stock except for having run CF-Auto-Root, no custom rom, no kernel changes, none of that (and likely won't be). all the reports are saying it's a common issue now on the S4.

Dr. Fed

Apr 23, 2010
Boston Area

I thought you had to be rooted in order to use triangle away.

Orical

May 22, 2011
Boston
I thought you had to be rooted in order to use triangle away.

What he means is stock everything and rooted, you can't have a custom kernel and have it work you need to be completely stock build for it to work otherwise it will show as custom. The idea is to reset the device to stock and use triangle away to reset the counter then it'll be as if it was never rooted.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

Dr. Fed

Apr 23, 2010
Boston Area
What he means is stock everything and rooted, you can't have a custom kernel and have it work you need to be completely stock build for it to work otherwise it will show as custom. The idea is to reset the device to stock and use triangle away to reset the counter then it'll be as if it was never rooted.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yup. But he/she said rooted OR custom kernel. In case people want to use triangle away before returning a device, they need to use it before they unroot in order to reset the counter. That previous post could confuse some people.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact supported model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices (Galaxy S1, Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, and many more) and has clocked over 13 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage
    Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Why isn't this just called CF-Root
    The traditional CF-Root's included a custom recovery (CWM, TWRP, etc) and were meant for devices that had a single kernel/recovery combination. CF-Auto-Root doesn't include a custom recovery and is meant for devices that have kernel and recovery separate (so you can manually install any custom recovery you wish). The Auto part comes from the fact that a large part of the process is automated (though it constantly needs adjusting)

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the Start button

2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download

SGH-M919: CF-Auto-Root-jfltetmo-jfltetmo-sghm919.zip

Other models

International Samsung Exynos GT-I9500: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292615
    International Qualcomm Snapdragon GT-I9505: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2219803
    Canadian: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293800
    Sprint: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2291827
    AT&T: Bootloader locked, do not use CF-Auto-Root on it
    VZW: Bootloader locked, do not use CF-Auto-Root on it

History

2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
    Does Mobile Odin work to flash firmware with the tmobile sgh-m919?

No not yet. I have pro version that I bought thinking it would. Was wrong, but I'm sure support for our device will be added. I added a dump file and requested support to be added in the odin thread located here. Even if support isn't added, I'm still happy to have bought the pro version to support Chainfire for everything he does for the community.

Confirmed that it DOES work on the LATEST OTA update and with the help of triangle away, I am also at the 0 counter mark.

Thanks a lot man!:good: