New method for rooting Droid 2 on stock 2.3.4 (621)

Search This thread

phifc

Jul 14, 2012
I have a method for rooting stock 2.3.4 on Droid 2/R2D2, but I can't post howto/links because my account is new. There's now a bootable EzSBF image that will update your phone to stock 621 and give you the option of rooting it, courtesy of beh (bhigham)

The thread is here:
rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/

Last edited:

phifc

Jul 14, 2012
months formaj

Not to be rude but....I have to call BS.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using xda premium

Understandable since I appeared out of nowhere.

Well, I posted it on rootzwiki. It's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. You can make a symlink in /data/preinstall_md5/ to /data/local.prop, create a dummy file in the preinstall /app dir and instead of a md5sum, put a copy of local.prop that contains ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1. When the system thinks it's copying an md5 sum to your preinstall md5 cache, it hits the symlink and overwrites the local.prop, giving adb root access on next reboot. It seems you can put whatever you want in CG66 and the phone boots just fine. This probably works on quite a few motorola devices ;)

Last edited:

Albinoman

Jul 31, 2011
Seattle
Google Pixel Fold
Understandable since I appeared out of nowhere.

Well, I posted it on rootzwiki. It's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. You can make a symlink in /data/preinstall_md5/ to /data/local.prop, create a dummy file in the preinstall /app dir and instead of a md5sum, put a copy of local.prop that contains ro.sys.atvc_allow_all_adb=1. When the system thinks it's copying an md5 sum to your preinstall md5 cache, it hits the symlink and overwrites the local.prop, giving adb root access on next reboot. It seems you can put whatever you want in CG66 and the phone boots just fine. This probably works on quite a few motorola devices ;)

Well it looks like I have to retract my previous statement. Great job!

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
D2 "ezSBF" 2.3.4/4.5.621 with magic md5 root option

updated many times see change log

root created by phifc modified by bhigham

3 options mirror links posted Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs
Multi-Device Root (54mb)
Droid2_621_SBF-and-RootCD.iso (213mb)
Droid2_R2D2_A957_2.3.4_SBF_and-or_RootCD.iso (250mb

How this works
Originally Posted by phifc
There's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. It compares md5 sum files of preinstalled apps and if they're different, copies the md5 to the local cache. The preinstall just has an empty file in app/ so it will parse the md5 for it. Instead of an md5 sum, it contains a local.prop that allows adb root shell. So the system thinks it's copying the md5sum to the cache when it bounces off the symlink and overwrites the /data/local.prop, giving adb root on next reboot

what is ezSBF?
original [TOOL] ezSBF (not for 2.3.4)

Don't let the word Linux scare you, this is just a cd you burn, nothing installs to your pc. Once you burn this CD you are ready to SBF flash anywhere you have a computer, no net connection needed to download any files.

This is an .iso file. It is a complete Linux operating system that you will download, burn to CD (or USB) then boot your pc from CD or USB, this allows your pc to reboot into a different operating system.

Instructions (Mac):
Download .iso
Use Disk Utility (built in) to burn iso file to a CD (instructions)
Shut computer down
Hold c key, push power and hold c until you see the Linux OS start
Hit enter at the yellow "boot baby... boot" screen
You will see yellow dots for 3-5 minutes then the script will start

Instructions (Windows):
Download .iso
Burn iso image to a disk (Instructions, Windows 7 - Vista and XP) or (Load to a USB flash drive)
Reboot PC
Hit F12 (sometimes F8 or esc) during boot to go to boot menu (possibly google search how to boot your specific pc from CDROM)
Select boot from CDROM (or USB if you used a flash drive)

Live USB Instructions (Windows):
(Instructions from pendrivelinux.com)(thanks)
Download
UNetBootin for Windows
Download your favorite Linux ISO
Double click the Unetbootin Executable to start the program
(1) Click the Diskimage radio box
(2) browse to select your ISO
(3) Set your target USB drive
(4) click OK to start the creation

unetbootin-live-usb-iso.png

(5) After the USB drive is done select reboot.
(6) During boot enter the boot menu and change USB to boot first, save and reboot.
(7) When booting from UNetbootin select SliTaz

You will now be in the script and ready to flash.

select D2 for multi device root cd or /select root for the Droid2_621_SBF-and-Root CD
don't use numbers on right side of you keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

on phone check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
on phone select charge only usb mode

on pc press continue
program will use adb to push
Code:
data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
program will prompt you to
manually reboot phone to bootloader, To put your D2G(/D2) in bootloader mode, power down and power on while either holding both volume buttons, or the up arrow on the keyboard.
program will flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
program will reboot twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
program will reboot to recovery,
manually press both volume buttons when you see !, triangle, & android andy
manually select wipe cache
manually select reboot
rooted

error info
when running program you may see these errors
rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 no such file or directory
no root.img.gz no such file or directory
rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 read only file system

that is fine, it will still work

by bhigham -One item of note with this CD, it does require at least 1GB of RAM in order to work properly. Also, if you only have 1GB of memory, and you need to both SBF and root your phone, it will be necessary to reboot the computer after flashing the .629(or .621)SBF. If you are unsure of the amount of RAM that you have, go ahead and reboot to be on the safe side.
Also, I noticed that I neglected to put instructions for putting your phone in bootloader in the SBF Step. To put your D2G(/D2) in bootloader mode, power down and power on while either holding both volume buttons, or the up arrow on the keyboard.

if you plan on creating nandroid backups or flashing roms read
[HOW TO] Install/Use Droid 2 Bootstrap

Using Oracle VM VirtualBox, and Magic MD5 root iso

Older Methods see instruction by phifc below
windows Batch file (uses rsd lite)
Linux batch file (adb and sbf_flash)
Linux manual (adb and sbf_flash)

original thread New root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2) - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki
Posted by phifc (OP)

This is for original Droid2 and Droid R2D2. If you have issues b
ooting after root, check the end of this post.

I've been working on root for a few days after having to flash stock 621. I've tested this with my R2D2 running 621.

7/25/2012 - Thanks to beh for putting together an EzSBF cd for this! Just burn, boot from CD and follow the directions. It can flash to the stock 621 update for those that want the stock Gingerbread image, then gives you the option to root if you like. You can also create a bootable USB stick with the iso using UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Droid 2 621 EzSBF with root option
The MD5 is
e50bc7914c4852ca32e9f08f7744c056

The instructions below work, but beh's EzSBF is far superior.

If you want to use CyanogenMod 7.2 after root with this method check this post.

I've been working on root for a few days after having to flash stock 621. I've tested this with my R2D2 running 621.

Windows
Install Motorola drivers and RDS Lite.
Get RootDroid2 file, extract folder, run RootDroid2.bat and follow the instructions.
You'll have to flash the phone as part of the process.

Linux (Easy way)
You'll need adb and sbf_flash.
1) Download the RootDroid2 file, extract it wherever you like.
2) Using adb enter
Code:
adb shell ln -s /data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
3) Flash using sbf file in download.
4) Reboot
5) adb shell will now be root

Linux (Long way)
What you need: Stock SBF (thanks to droid-developers.org), custom preinstall.img, adb (from android sdk), and sbf_flash

1) Enable USB debugging on your phone and send this adb command:

Code:

2) Unpack the custom preinstall file, then reboot your phone into flash mode by holding the up arrow on the keypad. Then send the custom SBF file with sbf_flash:
Code:
sbf_flash -r --preinstall preinstall.img <stock sbf filename>

(For example, I used 1FF-p2a_droid2_cdma_droid2-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DR4-51-120117-release-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf so the command is "sbf_flash -r --preinstall preinstall.img 1FF-p2a_droid2_cdma_droid2-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DR4-51-120117-release-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf")

3) Wait for phone to boot after flashing, then reboot again one final time.
4)
Code:
adb shell
should give you a root prompt (# instead of $)

5)Send superuser utils from Superuser

Code:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

Code:
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/system /system

Thanks to Dan Rosenberg (djrbliss) and those that helped him researchhttp://vulnfactory.o...ng-the-droid-3/ for ideas :)

for basic SBF and RSD lite info read The DROID Wiki

First, where do i download all these tools like motorola drivers and RSDlite? Do i put them on my phone or my PC?
use pc, links are baked into text just click on name of file
moto drivers USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
...Where do i enter this adb command?...
abd in command prompt start/search cmd.exe
...What version of software will be on my droid 2...
same version, rooting alone doesn't change that, rooting just gives you access to change system files/settings

My Links
Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - Google Docs

edited:
02 Oct 2012 added mac info
10 Oct 2012 added error info
19 Oct 2012 total reorganized post
26 Oct 2012 added mirror
05 Nov 2012 added 622 sbf
09 Dec 2012 major rewrite of instructions

Last edited:
Reactions: jb789

xIronCrossx

Jul 15, 2012
I can confirm it works, I just registered to let you guys know :)

I have been lurking here for like 3-4 months looking for a root method, and this morning I checked rootzwiki and saw this. So glad! Thanks OP!

I am currently not at home(vacation in Germany) so I can't take a picture of root checker, but it works, very easy as well.

Reactions: phifc

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
I can confirm that this works also except I still can't install CM7 because apparently I'm not on the OTA kernel and I'm on a leaked GB one.

Sent from my Senseless Rezound

Reactions: phifc

xIronCrossx

Jul 15, 2012
I can confirm that this works also except I still can't install CM7 because apparently I'm not on the OTA kernel and I'm on a leaked GB one.

Give LiquidICS a try, I really like it so far. Or CM9, I think LiquidICS is based on that though with some improvements.

I can't post links yet, but check droidforums. net for that

jwagman1

May 21, 2007
hey guys im having an issue.

i have a droid 2 with .621

I ran the .bat, rebooted, and attempt the sbf. it goes all the way through verifying the checksums then i get this error:

"Failed flashing process. Interface BP: Checksum error in the RAM Downloader for Flash Bootloader. File: 0x13AD (0x702C)"

The phone says SW Update In progress..

so i pulled the battery and put back in and now it goes to the bootloader and says corrupt code

I tried the sbf 3 times and redownloaded all the files 3 times.

I dont know what to do........

EDIT: i was able to sbf back to the unrooted .621. then i tried the root process again but still got the error. should i do a full factory reset then try??

EDIT: I tried flashing the root sbf one more time, and this time i still got the error, but the phone rebooted and booted up ok. i installed voodoo rootkeeper and protected root :]

Last edited:
hey guys im having an issue.

i have a droid 2 with .621

I ran the .bat, rebooted, and attempt the sbf. it goes all the way through verifying the checksums then i get this error:

"Failed flashing process. Interface BP: Checksum error in the RAM Downloader for Flash Bootloader. File: 0x13AD (0x702C)"

The phone says SW Update In progress..

so i pulled the battery and put back in and now it goes to the bootloader and says corrupt code

I tried the sbf 3 times and redownloaded all the files 3 times.

I dont know what to do........

EDIT: i was able to sbf back to the unrooted .621. then i tried the root process again but still got the error. should i do a full factory reset then try??

EDIT: I tried flashing the root sbf one more time, and this time i still got the error, but the phone rebooted and booted up ok. i installed voodoo rootkeeper and protected root :]

You will get that error you have to wait for device to say it is finished which takes maybe 5 mins or so after you get the error

scubamike

Sep 15, 2008
You will get that error you have to wait for device to say it is finished which takes maybe 5 mins or so after you get the error

I got the "Failed flashing process. Interface BP: Checksum error in the RAM Downloader for Flash Bootloader. File: 0x13AD (0x702C)" message as well. I waited for the phone to reboot, finished the flashing process, got errors from the .bat file saying to send the info.txt file to the OP, and tried installing Titanium Backup regardless. It asked for root permission, which I granted. Then I got a message saying "BusyBox works but the "su" command does not elevate to root." I've tried it twice now with the same RSD Lite error. I'll give it another go after it finishes charging.

AcridGosling

May 9, 2012
I got the "Failed flashing process. Interface BP: Checksum error in the RAM Downloader for Flash Bootloader. File: 0x13AD (0x702C)" message as well. I waited for the phone to reboot, finished the flashing process, got errors from the .bat file saying to send the info.txt file to the OP, and tried installing Titanium Backup regardless. It asked for root permission, which I granted. Then I got a message saying "BusyBox works but the "su" command does not elevate to root." I've tried it twice now with the same RSD Lite error. I'll give it another go after it finishes charging.

I don't know if this means anything, but after rooting, I had to reinstall busybox (there's an app in the market) but the newest version didn't work. I had to install 1 version back.

Sent from my rooted DROID 2! Much thanks to phifc from rootzwiki for the 2.3.4 .621 root!

ovelayer

Mar 19, 2011
spokane
fixed sbf fails everytime and I've waited 10this to 15you min after each fail msg in rsdlite..phone never reboots and when I pull the battery and reboot the phone it gos straight into bootloader which says its corrupt..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a method for rooting stock 2.3.4 on Droid 2/R2D2, but I can't post howto/links because my account is new. There's now a bootable EzSBF image that will update your phone to stock 621 and give you the option of rooting it, courtesy of beh (bhigham)

The thread is here:
    rootzwiki.com/topic/29930-new-root-method-for-stock-234-621622-found-droid2-r2d2/
    D2 "ezSBF" 2.3.4/4.5.621 with magic md5 root option

updated many times see change log

root created by phifc modified by bhigham

3 options mirror links posted Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs
    Multi-Device Root (54mb)
    Droid2_621_SBF-and-RootCD.iso (213mb)
    Droid2_R2D2_A957_2.3.4_SBF_and-or_RootCD.iso (250mb

How this works
    Originally Posted by phifc
    There's an exploit in loadpreinstall.sh. It compares md5 sum files of preinstalled apps and if they're different, copies the md5 to the local cache. The preinstall just has an empty file in app/ so it will parse the md5 for it. Instead of an md5 sum, it contains a local.prop that allows adb root shell. So the system thinks it's copying the md5sum to the cache when it bounces off the symlink and overwrites the /data/local.prop, giving adb root on next reboot

what is ezSBF?
    original [TOOL] ezSBF (not for 2.3.4)

Don't let the word Linux scare you, this is just a cd you burn, nothing installs to your pc. Once you burn this CD you are ready to SBF flash anywhere you have a computer, no net connection needed to download any files.

This is an .iso file. It is a complete Linux operating system that you will download, burn to CD (or USB) then boot your pc from CD or USB, this allows your pc to reboot into a different operating system.

Instructions (Mac):
    Download .iso
    Use Disk Utility (built in) to burn iso file to a CD (instructions)
    Shut computer down
    Hold c key, push power and hold c until you see the Linux OS start

Instructions (Windows):
    Download .iso
    Burn iso image to a disk (Instructions, Windows 7 - Vista and XP) or (Load to a USB flash drive)
    Reboot PC
    Hit F12 (sometimes F8 or esc) during boot to go to boot menu (possibly google search how to boot your specific pc from CDROM)
    Select boot from CDROM (or USB if you used a flash drive)

Live USB Instructions (Windows):
    (Instructions from pendrivelinux.com)(thanks)
    Download
    UNetBootin for Windows
    Download your favorite Linux ISO
    Double click the Unetbootin Executable to start the program
    (1) Click the Diskimage radio box
    (2) browse to select your ISO
    (3) Set your target USB drive
    (4) click OK to start the creation

unetbootin-live-usb-iso.png

(5) After the USB drive is done select reboot.
    (6) During boot enter the boot menu and change USB to boot first, save and reboot.
    (7) When booting from UNetbootin select SliTaz

You will now be in the script and ready to flash.

select D2 for multi device root cd or /select root for the Droid2_621_SBF-and-Root CD
    don't use numbers on right side of you keyboard, just use the ones above qwerty

turn phone on, connect to pc with usb cable

on phone check usb debugging (settings/apps/development)
    on phone select charge only usb mode

on pc press continue
    program will use adb to push
    Code:
    data/local.prop /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5
    program will prompt you to
    manually reboot phone to bootloader, To put your D2G(/D2) in bootloader mode, power down and power on while either holding both volume buttons, or the up arrow on the keyboard.
    program will flash repacked sbf (less than 50mb)
    program will reboot twice, very important (reboot just replaces the local.prop, but the old local.prop is still in memory, till second reboot)
    adb pushes su,superuser, and busybox
    program will reboot to recovery,
    manually press both volume buttons when you see !, triangle, & android andy
    manually select wipe cache
    manually select reboot
    rooted

error info
    when running program you may see these errors
    rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 no such file or directory
    no root.img.gz no such file or directory
    rm failed for /data/preinstall_md5/magic.md5 read only file system

that is fine, it will still work

by bhigham -One item of note with this CD, it does require at least 1GB of RAM in order to work properly. Also, if you only have 1GB of memory, and you need to both SBF and root your phone, it will be necessary to reboot the computer after flashing the .629(or .621)SBF. If you are unsure of the amount of RAM that you have, go ahead and reboot to be on the safe side.
    Also, I noticed that I neglected to put instructions for putting your phone in bootloader in the SBF Step. To put your D2G(/D2) in bootloader mode, power down and power on while either holding both volume buttons, or the up arrow on the keyboard.

if you plan on creating nandroid backups or flashing roms read
    [HOW TO] Install/Use Droid 2 Bootstrap

Using Oracle VM VirtualBox, and Magic MD5 root iso

Older Methods see instruction by phifc below
    windows Batch file (uses rsd lite)
    Linux batch file (adb and sbf_flash)
    Linux manual (adb and sbf_flash)

original thread New root method for stock 2.3.4 (621/622) found (Droid2, R2D2) - Droid 2 / R2D2 / Milestone 2 / Droid 2 Global - RootzWiki
    Posted by phifc (OP)

This is for original Droid2 and Droid R2D2. If you have issues b
    ooting after root, check the end of this post.

7/25/2012 - Thanks to beh for putting together an EzSBF cd for this! Just burn, boot from CD and follow the directions. It can flash to the stock 621 update for those that want the stock Gingerbread image, then gives you the option to root if you like. You can also create a bootable USB stick with the iso using UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Droid 2 621 EzSBF with root option
    The MD5 is
    e50bc7914c4852ca32e9f08f7744c056

The instructions below work, but beh's EzSBF is far superior.

If you want to use CyanogenMod 7.2 after root with this method check this post.

Windows
    Install Motorola drivers and RDS Lite.
    Get RootDroid2 file, extract folder, run RootDroid2.bat and follow the instructions.
    You'll have to flash the phone as part of the process.

Linux (Easy way)
    You'll need adb and sbf_flash.
    1) Download the RootDroid2 file, extract it wherever you like.
    2) Using adb enter
    Code:
    3) Flash using sbf file in download.
    4) Reboot
    5) adb shell will now be root

Linux (Long way)
    What you need: Stock SBF (thanks to droid-developers.org), custom preinstall.img, adb (from android sdk), and sbf_flash

1) Enable USB debugging on your phone and send this adb command:

Code:

2) Unpack the custom preinstall file, then reboot your phone into flash mode by holding the up arrow on the keypad. Then send the custom SBF file with sbf_flash:
    Code:
    sbf_flash -r --preinstall preinstall.img <stock sbf filename>

(For example, I used 1FF-p2a_droid2_cdma_droid2-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DR4-51-120117-release-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf so the command is "sbf_flash -r --preinstall preinstall.img 1FF-p2a_droid2_cdma_droid2-user-2.3.4-4.5.1_57_DR4-51-120117-release-keys-signed-Verizon-US.sbf")

3) Wait for phone to boot after flashing, then reboot again one final time.
    4)
    Code:
    adb shell
    should give you a root prompt (# instead of $)

5)Send superuser utils from Superuser

Code:
    adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
    adb push su /system/bin/su
    adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

Code:
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/system /system

Thanks to Dan Rosenberg (djrbliss) and those that helped him researchhttp://vulnfactory.o...ng-the-droid-3/ for ideas :)

for basic SBF and RSD lite info read The DROID Wiki

First, where do i download all these tools like motorola drivers and RSDlite? Do i put them on my phone or my PC?
    use pc, links are baked into text just click on name of file
    moto drivers USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
    ...Where do i enter this adb command?...
    abd in command prompt start/search cmd.exe
    ...What version of software will be on my droid 2...
    same version, rooting alone doesn't change that, rooting just gives you access to change system files/settings

My Links
    Magic MD5 Root 2.3.4 for D2, R2D2, D2G, DX and 2.3.5 for DX2 - Google Docs

sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - Google Docs

edited:
    02 Oct 2012 added mac info
    10 Oct 2012 added error info
    19 Oct 2012 total reorganized post
    26 Oct 2012 added mirror
    05 Nov 2012 added 622 sbf
    09 Dec 2012 major rewrite of instructions
    It should....I've looked it over.

I can confirm it works, I just registered to let you guys know :)

I have been lurking here for like 3-4 months looking for a root method, and this morning I checked rootzwiki and saw this. So glad! Thanks OP!

I am currently not at home(vacation in Germany) so I can't take a picture of root checker, but it works, very easy as well.