S-View Cover Interferes the Compass

Search This thread

squarejp

Dec 20, 2010
I love my original s-View cover but it interferes my s4 compass especially with the cover is folded to the back of the phone. I can clearly see how the cover changes the direction of the Google Map compass while flipping the cover.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

Last edited:

StolenVW

Mar 20, 2012
Elizaville
That's because there's a magnet in it to activate the hal sensor to tell the screen to go to s-veiw window

If you take a magnet and put it where the sensor is on the phone with the s-veiw cover open your screen will change like if the cover is closed

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

markbloke

Oct 15, 2006
Wallasey, Wirral
If the S-View covers work with the aid of a magnet, how does this one work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281100942769

As I understand, no magnets here and yet they claim it has all S-View abilities!

PS ... anyone bought this cover? If yes, is this latched on to the built in battery cover or does it reduce bulk by replacing the battery cover?

Got to have a magnet to trigger the S4 S-View mode on the display. Doesn't say it's got a magnet in the listing, then again doesn't say it hasn't.... ;) Looks like it's got kind of a tpu case which snaps round the phone and the cover is glued onto that.

Reactions: Paparasee

Gibbs

Feb 1, 2008

As I understand, no magnets here and yet they claim it has all S-View abilities!

PS ... anyone bought this cover? If yes, is this latched on to the built in battery cover or does it reduce bulk by replacing the battery cover?

I have this cover. It does not replace the battery cover, but fits over it. However, the "leather" is very thin, so the case doesn't really add much bulk. The s-view function works perfectly. However, I won't continue to use this case once a better s-view case comes out. The part that holds the phone in the case doesn't cover the corners of the phone, so they are vulnerable if the phone is dropped. And, the front of the case could easily open if the phone is dropped, so there is no protection for the front of the phone, either. I really prefer flip cases, because I ruined an expensive phone by dropping it, so I want something that protects the phone. I really like the s-view option, but this isn't the case for me.

Reactions: Paparasee

Aitch

Mar 4, 2005
I got a cheap copy of the S-View which fits perfectly and works just as good. Unfortunately it seems the magnet is too strong because the S-View mode activates when I fold the cover around the back!

Is there any way to fix this?

marlar

Feb 18, 2011
I have the cover from Tridea. Got it yesterday.

It is actually quite nice and protects the phone better than the original S-view case. However, this is magnetic too and makes the compass more or less unusable.

M3wThr33

Aug 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
planetmew.com
I got a cheap copy of the S-View which fits perfectly and works just as good. Unfortunately it seems the magnet is too strong because the S-View mode activates when I fold the cover around the back!

Is there any way to fix this?

I'm wondering this too. I paid $7, versus $60, so I can't complain, but I would LOVE to find out that the authentic ones actually fix this critical issue.

D

Deleted member 3870479

Why not buy an original one, guaranteed to work. I have had mine since day one and works great, even when flipped back. I can post a video. If need be.

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
If you open a compass app, does it point to the right directions (south, north etc) even when you slowly rotate the phone horizontally?

Maybe it is different for you, but the compass on the S4 sucks with or without the S-Cover. It constantly need recalibrating on many of these phones.

Aitch

Mar 4, 2005
Maybe it is different for you, but the compass on the S4 sucks with or without the S-Cover. It constantly need recalibrating on many of these phones.
I agree. What is the reason for this though? Is it a software problem that could be fixed with an update, or a hardware problem which is pretty much permanent?

hawkerpaul

Sep 25, 2011
UK
www.practicenet.co.uk
My S4 S-View (original) cover definitely interferes with compass readings. As this is an original Samsung case I find this quite incredible how this has been overlooked.

With the case on and open, my compass app would always point in the same direction.
Gradual movement of the front cover from the open to closed position would quickly alter the compass bearing etc.

I decided to ditch the S-View cover for the standard one for the following reasons:
1. Affects compass bearings as described
2. Unable to see notification LED when the cover is closed. (it is in fact not enabled at all when its closed)
3. I'd rather see my full screen caller ID on an incoming call than the small S-View window. I know if you open the case you will then see the caller ID screen, but I'd prefer to see it from the offset.

Only drawback now is that I hate leaving the screen uncovered so I've put a screen protector on, and I can never get to fit one perfectly...I always seem to get one or two specs of dust that cause bubbles. :(

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
I agree. What is the reason for this though? Is it a software problem that could be fixed with an update, or a hardware problem which is pretty much permanent?

I am guessing it is a hardware issue because several people have the problem (there is a thread in the "general" section about it) and it doesn't seem to matter which app or APK is used with it, it has the same issues and needs to be recalibrated periodically to work properly.

M3wThr33

Aug 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
planetmew.com
Why not buy an original one, guaranteed to work. I have had mine since day one and works great, even when flipped back. I can post a video. If need be.

Well, it's tough to purchase a legit one sometimes, and knowing IF that design flaw doesn't exist in an authentic version would make it worth it.

Edit:
Fixed it myself. I pried open the fabric, took out the magnet, put a nail between the magnet and the hammer to shatter it, and put back half a disc. Works perfectly.

Last edited:

andymihail

Jul 15, 2010
Bucharest
I have the original S-view cover and if I slowly open or close the cover over the phone, the compass changes values, and I even got a notification in compass app regarding the magnetic field while playing with the cover.
Is there any way to repair this behavior while keeping the S-view functionality?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Got to have a magnet to trigger the S4 S-View mode on the display. Doesn't say it's got a magnet in the listing, then again doesn't say it hasn't.... ;) Looks like it's got kind of a tpu case which snaps round the phone and the cover is glued onto that.

I have this cover. It does not replace the battery cover, but fits over it. However, the "leather" is very thin, so the case doesn't really add much bulk. The s-view function works perfectly. However, I won't continue to use this case once a better s-view case comes out. The part that holds the phone in the case doesn't cover the corners of the phone, so they are vulnerable if the phone is dropped. And, the front of the case could easily open if the phone is dropped, so there is no protection for the front of the phone, either. I really prefer flip cases, because I ruined an expensive phone by dropping it, so I want something that protects the phone. I really like the s-view option, but this isn't the case for me.