Pixel 3 - improve battery life

Search This thread

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5
Opening this thread because battery life could be better even though it's only ~2950mAh. Currently I'm getting a bettery life of 20h with moderate usage. So I started to gather infos about how to reduce battery drain and usage.

Improvements:
- AlwaysOnDisplay: off
- Playing now: off
- reduce brightness

Are there any Google APPs which can be safely deactivated without getting the phone lunatic nor have heavy impact on the system?

And why is the Google APP so large? On my Moto G5+ it was around 35MB and now it's ten times bigger?

TimLux

Apr 4, 2019
Opening this thread because battery life could be better even though it's only ~2950mAh. Currently I'm getting a bettery life of 20h with moderate usage. So I started to gather infos about how to reduce battery drain and usage.

Improvements:
- reduce brightness

Are there any Google APPs which can be safely deactivated without getting the phone lunatic nor have heavy impact on the system?

And why is the Google APP so large? On my Moto G5+ it was around 35MB and now it's ten times bigger?

I wondered the same as you before receiving my Pixel 3. Comjing from a Galaxy S8 battery / SoT was always an issue, I barely made it trough a whole day of work without recharging at 5 PM.
With the Pixel 3 I did the following:
- Set it up and migrate everything from the S8 (via the Assistant in the Setup screen)
- Restored my ringtones and Notification sounds
- disabled the following Apps (because I don't use them): Action Services, Android Auto, Chrome, Connectivity Health Services, Device Health Services, Device Policy, Gmail (I use Aquamail instead), Google Connectivity Services, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Google Suport Services, Live Transcribe, Pixel Ambient Services, Youtube (I prefer Youtube Vanced and MigroG instead)
- Set up a ton of Cal and Carddav Accounts for my personal cloud services
- Disabled the automativ battery saver (which would kick in at 15% by default)
- Set up Automate: toogle WiFi on automatically when I reach a specific location (I know this is build in, but with the build in version it doesn't switch of when I leave the location) and disable it when I leave, Disable Bluetooth when not in use for 5 Minutes, automatically activate DnD when I'm charging after a specific Time (I charge every night) and disable it when I remove it from the Qi Charger

That's what I set up because of my experience with the S8 and because I want most things automatically done.
Yesterday I pushed the phone to the limit (a whole workday plus 2 Hours Spotify and 3 Hours Gaming):
imagebanana.com/s/1383/8vZEWmFF.html

P.S.:Sorry for the broken Link, just copy the Link into your webbrowser. I lost my old account and had to set up a new one, where I will be allowed to post links after 10 Posts

Reactions: TGHH

Che Kirila

Nov 8, 2010
Los Angeles

Why don't just turn on Battery Saver? It shuts down some functions, like instant response for "Hey Google", idles background running apps etc. It also switches on dark theme at least in settings. I didn't measure exact battery life, but it feels, it lives longer. However, there were some days (I think, once in a couple months) when the battery drained almost in half in literally some hours. Since I registered it aftermath, I can not recall what could lead to that, but since I live in Los Angeles with some areas of pretty bad coverage (in hills areas, on some freeways), it's possible those caused the drainage. Also it could be the result of some glitches that Pixel is famous for, so I just rebooted it and it stopped drain the battery for that reason or because I was already out of bad coverage areas.

Since it's still April, don't forget about secret Google's signals to control all its gadgets and their owners.

b1337

Jan 21, 2010
Unlock
Root
Elemental kernel
Substratum swift black theme
Profit

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190310-081444.png
    Screenshot_20190310-081444.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 2,759

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5
I wondered the same as you before receiving my Pixel 3. Comjing from a Galaxy S8 battery / SoT was always an issue, I barely made it trough a whole day of work without recharging at 5 PM.
- Set it up and migrate everything from the S8 (via the Assistant in the Setup screen)
- disabled the following Apps (because I don't use them): Action Services, Android Auto, Chrome, Connectivity Health Services, Device Health Services, Device Policy, Gmail (I use Aquamail instead), Google Connectivity Services, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Google Suport Services, Live Transcribe, Pixel Ambient Services, Youtube (I prefer Youtube Vanced and MigroG instead)
- Set up Automate: toogle WiFi on automatically when I reach a specific location (I know this is build in, but with the build in version it doesn't switch of when I leave the location) and disable it when I leave, Disable Bluetooth when not in use for 5 Minutes, automatically activate DnD when I'm charging after a specific Time (I charge every night) and disable it when I remove it from the Qi Charger

That's what I set up because of my experience with the S8 and because I want most things automatically done.
Yesterday I pushed the phone to the limit (a whole workday plus 2 Hours Spotify and 3 Hours Gaming):

P.S.:Sorry for the broken Link, just copy the Link into your webbrowser. I lost my old account and had to set up a new one, where I will be allowed to post links after 10 Posts

Your setup of apps and syncing is very close to mine! Some of the services you mentioned are still running on my Pixel. That's a good starting point for further optimisation. Very appreciate your help!

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5
Why don't just turn on Battery Saver? It shuts down some functions, like instant response for "Hey Google", idles background running apps etc. It also switches on dark theme at least in settings. I didn't measure exact battery life, but it feels, it lives longer. However, there were some days (I think, once in a couple months) when......
Since it's still April, don't forget about secret Google's signals to control all its gadgets and their owners.

I applied already the standards for saving battery life (AoD, etc.) and as I don't use the Google services also those I was sure it doesn't break anything. Getting rid of the services I don't use is a good start for optimise it.

Che Kirila

Nov 8, 2010
Los Angeles
I applied already the standards for saving battery life (AoD, etc.) and as I don't use the Google services also those I was sure it doesn't break anything. Getting rid of the services I don't use is a good start for optimise it.

Do you mean you applied that after special mode "Battery Saver" as additions to it? That standard mode was enough for me to keep my battery charge mostly over 50% after full day.

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5
Do you mean you applied that after special mode "Battery Saver" as additions to it? That standard mode was enough for me to keep my battery charge mostly over 50% after full day.
Yep, that's what I ment. I identified already one of the drainers - my Openvpn client is consuming quite a lot. After switching to Blockada (as AdBlocker) battery consumption is quite okay.
But let's see what can be achieved by further optimization.

TimLux

Apr 4, 2019
Try to use the private DNS setting instead, I figured this would save even more battery than a locally hosted VPN

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5
Seems like I found descent settings to make battery last longer. So let's see how this turns out during the week (this is my normal use case - mail, some music, business stuff, photos; I don't play!).
I'll let u know what I did, so maybe others can profit as well.

Reactions: anton2dan

TGHH

Sep 20, 2017
Hamburg
Google Pixel 5
While in standby/mails/some browsing the drain is descent. While listening to some music using BT the drain is quite visible as you can see.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190409-003251.png
    Screenshot_20190409-003251.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 1,070

b1337

Jan 21, 2010
What?? When you use the device it uses more battery then when it sleeps? crazy

Reactions: TGHH

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    settings -> system -> Advanced -> Developer Options -> System Tracing. Uncheck the Trace Debuggable Applications. Enjoy about 15% better battery life

From another thread

Q only possibly
    Unlock
    Root
    Elemental kernel
    Substratum swift black theme
    Profit
    Never had a problem with this since Nexus one
    Well, it's not about the process of unlocking and rooting the phone, but just the legal side.
    I would not get any service for free if I unlocked it.

I rooted every phone I had but as my Pixel is new I will wait till I'm sure that there are no hardware problems occurring.
    So, a quick update what I did to improve my battery life. First of all I applied the suggestions from post #2.
    I also deactivated all apps from Google I don't use (like the books, games stuff).
    I'm switching off WiFi via Automate (no need to discuss this - I know that this will not save humongous battery life) using 'Location based WiFi toggler'.
    This is what I did. Based on my usage profile the battery will last for 1-1.5 days.

Improvements:
    - reduce brightness