[MOD][5.0.2 / 4.4.x / 4.4] SMS for the Nexus 7 LTE (2013)

Search This thread

GuyAdams

Jun 23, 2007
Nottinghamshire
SMS on Nexus 7 LTE (2013)

This mod can be flashed via TWRP or CWM recoveries on odexed and deodexed stock based ROM's and will enable SMS options in Settings. By default SMS will appear in Hangouts as per the Nexus 5.

Revert is only for stock odexed users. Should you need to restore a deodexed ROM simply reflash it.

sms_tethering_screenshot.png

Downloads

LRX22G SMS (5.0.2)
LRX22G Revert to stock (5.0.2)

KTU84L SMS (4.4.3)
KTU84L Revert to stock (4.4.3)

KOT49H SMS (4.4.2)
KOT49H Revert to stock (4.4.2)

KRT16S SMS (4.4)
KRT16S Revert to stock (4.4)

Notes

If you have a 2012 Nexus 7 get the mod here

Thanks

@fisha21 for putting up with my constant ranting about Google removing SMS and helping out.

Last edited:

Alcibiade

Dec 23, 2006
New York
Great ! Now we can use the fficial ROM
Do MMS work too? If not you should ask Synman for his framework mods (I suppose this can be also installed from TWRP)

Reactions: GuyAdams

brianbeastsu

Nov 15, 2010
Not sending

Thank you for this, For some reason when I attempt to send an SMS it fails :(, I believe I set everything up correctly, tried on both WIFI and LTE through Tmobile data.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

This mod can be flashed via TWRP or CWM recoveries on odexed and deodexed stock based ROM's and will enable SMS options in Settings. By default SMS will appear in Hangouts as per the Nexus 5.

Revert is only for stock odexed users. Should you need to restore a deodexed ROM simply reflash it.

View attachment 2410067

Downloads

KRT16S SMS
KRT16S Revert to stock

Notes

Thanks

@fisha21 for putting up with my constant ranting about Google removing SMS and helping out.

Reactions: s0ullight

souvenir1977

Jan 20, 2011
Will this work with KRT16O? Currently there is no OTA sideload from KRT16O to KRT16S yet, and I want to try this without flashing the stock 16S, :eek:

Thank you for this, For some reason when I attempt to send an SMS it fails :(, I believe I set everything up correctly, tried on both WIFI and LTE through Tmobile data.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

nexus7lte

Sep 24, 2013
Cool but i need some more info on this. With a sim card in the nex7, does it use your mobile phone number i.e. VZW to send messages just like a phone? i am currently just using verizon messages to sms from my tablet. Also, this should work on the ota 4.4 as long as rooted right?

Last edited:

GuyAdams

Jun 23, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Cool but i need some more info on this. With a sim card in the nex7, does it use your mobile phone number i.e. VZW to send messages just like a phone? i am currently just using verizon messages to sms from my tablet. Also, this should work on the ota 4.4 as long as rooted right?

All this mod does is expose the native SMS capabilities of KitKat. If you send an SMS they will go via your SIM card and your carrier.

It will work on both deodexed and odexed ROMs built around KRT16S. However if the ROM you use modifies the framework then my mod may undo those modifications.

Hope this explains it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G

GuyAdams

Jun 23, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Sorry for offtopic but any plans for dial pad to have possibilities to send USSD codes?

I'm already working on making the dialer work, I'm part way there but only for SIP, voice is a no go which probably means no USSD codes. Also in the works is ART, got the option to appear in developer options but it doesn't boot. I need a little more time on that one ;)

Larz2.2

Nov 27, 2010
FSM
Should use the number associated with your sim card. Check settings>about tablet>status and scroll down to see MDN, which is the device phone number.

affiaff

Jun 1, 2012
Number cut

Hi,

SMS works great, if you have a look to the attachment, you can see that the numbers of the dial pad are cut (only upper part of each number is fully visible.

DPI 320 / Normal text size (fixed when using 323 DPI, but than the tablet is in phone mode or with a resoluation lower 300DPI

Could you find a solution for this ... please

Regards

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-25-00-31-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-11-25-00-31-05.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 871
Last edited:

JoeBruin32

Sep 19, 2011
I'm already working on making the dialer work, I'm part way there but only for SIP, voice is a no go which probably means no USSD codes. Also in the works is ART, got the option to appear in developer options but it doesn't boot. I need a little more time on that one ;)

Ok so I shouldn't bother if I'm using ART right now? Also, does this allow you to use Google Now voice activation to "send text to person-x"? Right now it says the device doesn't support that. Can google voice then be made as the default texting app? Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

sms_tethering_screenshot.png

Downloads

LRX22G SMS (5.0.2)
    LRX22G Revert to stock (5.0.2)

KTU84L SMS (4.4.3)
    KTU84L Revert to stock (4.4.3)

KOT49H SMS (4.4.2)
    KOT49H Revert to stock (4.4.2)

KRT16S SMS (4.4)
    KRT16S Revert to stock (4.4)

Notes

Thanks

Mod updated to KOT49H,

Enjoy!
    Hey guys, I have the 4.4.3 factory images and will endeavour to update the mod this weekend :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    OP updated with a new version.

Hit thanks if this helps you.
    Attached is an updated version of FrameWork Flasher. I have updated some of the components (like APKTool) to work with KitKat.
    You can use this tool to build your own flashable framework-res.apk with the "Voice Capable" mod and / or other mods as you need.
    I am not the original creator of FrameWork Flasher, I just got the original tool and then downloaded the most recent versions of the Android tools it uses.

Once you unpack framework-res.apk using FrameWork Flasher, you'll need to open the file /res/values/bools.xml and change the "voicecapable" property from "false" to "true". Then recompile and flash the update.zip FrameWork Flasher makes.

The annoying thing about this method of achieving this modification is that, because it involves tweaking the framework-res.apk, you have to re-do this each time a new build your ROM comes out.

This same mod works on other ROMs (and even other devices).