[Manila Mod][23-Jul-2009] 4 Columns Manila Start Menu/Programs Tab & All Programs

Search This thread

Co0kieMonster

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 26, 2008
Intro:
Basically, this mod puts 4 columns of icons in the Manila Start Menu and All Programs page. Check out the screenshots below.

Big thank you to 6Fg8, sztupy and Chainfire for their Manila editing tools.

Requirements:
This mod is made for Manila (TouchFlo 3D) versions 2.0 and 2.1 only.
To check the version go to the settings tab in TouchFlo, at the bottom there should be "About" and "TouchFLO 3D" followed by the version number.
If you have any problems with this mod please report your full Manila (e.g. 2.1.xxxxx or 2.0.xxxxx) version, the device and ROM you are using.
This is for WVGA devices only. For VGA devices there is a VGA version made by JVH3.

UPDATE 27/07/2009:
Added a troubleshooting section to the post. Made a fix for the StartMenu/PrograsTab crash bug (see troubleshooting below). Fixed bug with Spike's 4 Columns All Settings (new cab attached).

UPDATE 23/07/2009:
The Programs Tab is now supported. I've tweaked the layout specifically for the Tab view.
For those who want it, I've also included a way to activate the OldStartMenu+ProgramsTab by using files from the Addons.zip.
Addons also include cabs to extend the number of items. See below for more info.
New version also has a few bug fixes.

Screenshots(click on thumbnails to enlarge):
Start Menu: All Programs: Programs Tab:

6 columns in landscape: Start Menu, All Programs

Instructions:
Download the 4ColumnsStart&AllPrograms_v1.1.cab and run it on your device.
If you have a problem installing it, try turning off TF3d (Settings->Today), instaling the cab and then turning TF3D back on.

You can also get 4 columns in All Setting (WM6.1) by installing Spike's 4 Columns All Settings.cab - Screenshot.

Known issues for Manila 2.0:
The mod works well on Manila v2.0, but with two limitations: the item number extension add on cabs don't work (see Addon section below) and some item names are aligned to left instead of centered. Unfortunately this can't be resolved because its a limitation of Manila 2.0. Manila 2.1 doesn't have these issues.

Troubleshooting:
-Can't install the cab even after turning off TF3D.
-> You can try manually installing it. Download the files: Manual install files. Copy the manila files to \Windows (overwrite existing files). Import the .reg file to registry. Then soft reset or just restart Manila.
-Start Menu or Programs Tab crashes (TF3D restarts) after you install the mod.
-> Use this fix: CrashFix. Import the .reg file to registry. Then soft reset or just restart Manila.
-All Programs page gets messed up after soft reset
-> This can happen if Max TF3D Theme Maker is installed. To fix it go to \Windows\Startup and remove Shake.lnk and ThemeChanger.lnk (this will disable those functions of MaxTM). You should still be able to use MaxTTM but you will have to reinstall this mod every time after using MaxTTM.
-Manila 2.0 specific: Extra items you can't use
-> With Manila 2.0 you can only have up to 24 items. After installing this mod you'll have 26 but you can't use the last two. If you want to delete the unusable items go to reg key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\Manila\ProgramLauncher\" and delete numbers 30 and 31 (or anything above 23 - key number 0 is the 1st item and 23 is the 24th item, number 24 is the 25th item etc.).
-Black text on black background in All Programs page
-> While the default Manila secondary screen is white with black text, some branded Manila variations (e.g. T-Mobile) have this reversed (white text on black background). To correct this download WhiteText_AllPrograms.zip and copy the manila file to \Windows. Then soft reset or restart Manila.

AddOns:
These are optional extras.
Make sure you install the main 4ColumnsStart&AllPrograms.cab before using any of the addons.
Note: The Extend_to_48_Items and Extend_to_64_Items cabs only work with Manila 2.1. Don't install them on Manila 2.0.
The addon.zip file contains the following:

OldStartMenu+ProgramsTab.reg - This will activate the old Start Menu and Programs Tab.
-> Import the reg file and soft reset. After that go to Manila Settings, Customize Tabs and check the Programs Tab.
ManilaStartMenu.reg - This undos the previous reg i.e. it will activate the Manila Start Menu and deactivate the Programs Tab.
-> Import the reg file and soft reset.
Extend_to_48_Items.cab
-> This will extend the StartMenu/Programs Tab to 48 items. Install only one of the Extend cabs at one time.
Extend_to_64_Items.cab
-> Same as above, just 64 items. Install only one of the Extend cabs at one time.

Download:
4 Columns Start Menu/Programs Tab & AllPrograms
Spike's 4 Columns All Settings
Addons package

Changelog:
#v1.1 - 23/07/2009
-[NEW] programs tab support
-[NEW] option for more items (addon cab)
-[FIX] some manila version compatibility issues
#v1.0 - 21/07/2009
-initial release

Attachments

• Addons.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 3,211
Last edited:

resque2

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks but it crash my Manila 2.1 (WM6.5) everytime I access the Program tab
Uninstall couldn't remove it either. Please help

Co0kieMonster

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks but it crash my Manila 2.1 (WM6.5) everytime I access the Program tab
Uninstall couldn't remove it either. Please help

Try turning off Manila and then uninstalling it. (Turn off TF3D from Settings->Today.)
The mod was made specifically for Manila Start Menu, not Programs Tab.

hahaha,

mee too,

(Tkalli & myself were just talking about making one of these)

BIG THANKS!!!!!

I've been putting off making this for the past month, always procrastinating :) Finally sat down to make it a few days ago, but I think it was worth the work.

Spike™

Nov 23, 2008
Hertfordshire
www.laurentius26.net
hey Co0kie, i hope you don't mind,
i've re made the cab but this time with the "All Settings" 4 columns reg edits, too

CapScr0008.jpg

here,
Co0kie & Spike's - 4Column All Programs & All Settings

regards

Spike

6Fg8

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 13, 2008
Vienna
Duuuuude, how coolz that!
Man, you guys are awesome!
Cant tell how long i've been waiting for this :)

Just wanted to report: it works PERFECT on TF3D 2.0 - i know i'm old fashioned but still on DavideUck's V6.1 HP :D

Thanks a bunch Cookie & Spike!

dexter26

Feb 13, 2009
Slovakia
hi could someone help me i ll instal the cab and i cant acces the start menu and programs tab.im usinng manali 2.1 miris rom v 23

D

Deleted member 1096392

At first TF didn't want to start, but after installing, reinstalling, installing, ..., :) it works fine on my Touch Pro 2! :) Thanks for this great app, have been waiting for it for ages, I hated the 3 icon row (why waste so much space?)!

Co0kieMonster

Nov 26, 2008
Just wanted to report: it works PERFECT on TF3D 2.0 - i know i'm old fashioned but still on DavideUck's V6.1 HP :D

I honestly didn't expect it to work well on Manila 2.0 without any modifications (given all the start menu specific problems when mixing different manila file versions). I'm very glad that its working well :)

hi could someone help me i ll instal the cab and i cant acces the start menu and programs tab.im usinng manali 2.1 miris rom v 23

Seems the programs tab is causing some trouble. I'll look into that and try to fix it as soon as possible. For now uninstall the cab.

Can you tell me the full version number of your Manila? (For example mine is 2.1.38158.5)

And if anyone else has trouble, report the full Manila version and ROM that you are using it on.

dexter26

Feb 13, 2009
Slovakia
I honestly didn't expect it to work well on Manila 2.0 without any modifications (given all the start menu specific problems when mixing different manila file versions). I'm very glad that its working well :)

Seems the programs tab is causing some trouble. I'll look into that and try to fix it as soon as possible. For now uninstall the cab.

Can you tell me the full version number of your Manila? (For example mine is 2.1.38158.5)

And if anyone else has trouble, report the full Manila version and ROM that you are using it on.

hi my manila version is:2.1.38411.0.thank you

Co0kieMonster

Nov 26, 2008
I've updated a few things now and I hope this will solve the problems on some Manila versions.

Anyone who couldn't get this mod to work please try the attached cabs.
First try just type1. If that doesn't work try type2. Please report if it worked and if it did, was it type1 or type2.

EDIT:
4ColumnsStart&AllPrograms_v1.1beta_type1.cab & 4ColumnsStart&AllPrograms_v1.1beta_type2.cab were attached here.
Thay're outdated now so I removed them. See first post for latest version.

Last edited:

lufeig

Sep 13, 2008
Sao Paulo
i confirm that type1 works perfectly on dutty's 3.9 xt turbo rom (manila 2.1.38158.5)!!!

thanks for your hard work!!!

gaelynx

Dec 24, 2008
Montreal, QC, Canada
A little Aestetic detail

I think it would be more coherent to have the same size of icons in the Start Menu page and in the All Programs page.

Now the All Programs page's icons are a bit too small in my opinion, and I already played around with this "problem" before:

I think I'd rather see more of the icon graphics than of white background, if we have more space.
Nevertheless, this might just be my personal subjective viewpoint, are people happy enough with smaller icons?

mems711

Mar 17, 2009
confirmed that it works with L3.55. I installed Dharvey's cab to change from the new start menu to a program tab in manila, then applied type 1 cab... it works like a charm without the startmenu activated problem previously with spike's & cookie's version..

One thing tough, could you please incorporate spike's changes so that the setting menu is also 4 columns.. that will be perfectly thx, great job

hapid

May 23, 2008
Vienna
Hi all! I am looking now since awhile now for a possibility to change the windows mobile start menu to manilas programs tab. Maybe I am thinking too complicated or I am searching for the wrong thing. :confused:
I would like touching the start button and the manila programs tab should popup or manila should be shown and change to the programs tab. There are a lot of cabs in this forum about the start menu but I could not figure out what I have to do in case of windows mobile 6.5.

I am using Miri’s WM 6.5 23009 V 24.0 rom. Can anyone direct me to the right threat or cab? It would be perfect if I could combine the 4 columns mod with it.

Co0kieMonster

Nov 26, 2008
I think it would be more coherent to have the same size of icons in the Start Menu page and in the All Programs page.

Now the All Programs page's icons are a bit too small in my opinion, and I already played around with this "problem" before:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=4013367&postcount=71

I think I'd rather see more of the icon graphics than of white background, if we have more space.
Nevertheless, this might just be my personal subjective viewpoint, are people happy enough with smaller icons?

I made it this way because in my personal view:
-It looks cleaner and less cramped.
-Older icons are 64x64 pixels or less so making them any bigger just stretches them and they lose quality (e.g. on my screenshot in first post: Email Scheduler, AE Button Plus, Google Maps).

But that's my opinion, and if the majority feels this should be changed I'll change it.

Hi all! I am looking now since awhile now for a possibility to change the windows mobile start menu to manilas programs tab. Maybe I am thinking too complicated or I am searching for the wrong thing. :confused:

I am using Miri’s WM 6.5 23009 V 24.0 rom. Can anyone direct me to the right threat or cab? It would be perfect if I could combine the 4 columns mod with it.

You need to have support for it in the ROM, specifically the ROM should have the "Enlarge Start Menu" service cooked in. You should ask Miri about it.
It can be done on WM6.5 ROMs, for example I know that Dutty's WM6.5 R5 & R6 have it as well as the app "Tom Menu Extender" which can be used to easily switch between WM6.5 Start Menu and Manila Start Menu.

One thing tough, could you please incorporate spike's changes so that the setting menu is also 4 columns.. that will be perfectly thx, great job

While I iron out the bugs in the beta version, here is a separate cab for Spike's changes for the All Settings menu. (It works perfectly regardless of any bugs in my StartMenu/ProgramTab/AllPrograms mod.)
Spike's 4Column All Settings

Last edited:

dexter26

Feb 13, 2009
Slovakia
I've updated a few things now and I hope this will solve the problems on some Manila versions.

Anyone who couldn't get this mod to work please try the attached cabs.
First try just type1. If that doesn't work try type2. Please report if it worked and if it did, was it type1 or type2.

hi i tried thiese 2 versions and neither of them work.start menu is still with 3 icons in row and pressing program tab restart manila.im using miri v 23 ,manila v 2.1.38411.0