[APP][4.1+][V5.4] Open Mic+ for Google Now

Search This thread

mystik1

Sep 13, 2010
Any chance of getting it to recognize a command to dismiss an alarm? For example, if I use Alarm Clock Extreme: I would say "Okay, Google", and then "Set Alarm for 15 minutes". It does it. When the alarm goes off, I'd love to be able to say a command to stop the alarm. Maybe you can consider it. Thanks in advance if so!

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Hello,

Thnx for this amazing cool app!

Found two problems when using it though:
1- after installing and starting service lockscreen sounds dont work anymore.
2- after using it one time while phone was in deepsleep it doesnt work for no more and the locksounds are back.

Using nexus4 with PA rom and latest apk.

Hope u got the time to look into it.

Thnx and cheers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

It's not that they don't work it's just that I have to mute them otherwise you get an annoying beep when you turn on your phone. Question do you have screen off listening enabled? Also when you say deepsleep do you just mean you pressed the power button to turn the screen off?

Any chance of getting it to recognize a command to dismiss an alarm? For example, if I use Alarm Clock Extreme: I would say "Okay, Google", and then "Set Alarm for 15 minutes". It does it. When the alarm goes off, I'd love to be able to say a command to stop the alarm. Maybe you can consider it. Thanks in advance if so!

Sounds cool, but it's more of a question of how would I interface with the alarm clock. Right now they have set it up to listen for the Google Now command of setting alarms, but not to dismiss it. I would email the developer asking for it to be integrated into Tasker, this would allow you to dismiss an alarm using a Open Mic+ Tasker command.

Reactions: Sgace

Sgace

Jul 9, 2011
It's not that they don't work it's just that I have to mute them otherwise you get an annoying beep when you turn on your phone. Question do you have screen off listening enabled? Also when you say deepsleep do you just mean you pressed the power button to turn the screen off?

Ah, ok got ur first point.
To answer your question, yes got that enabled and yes pressed powerbutton to turn of screen and then leave it for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

nik71990

Nov 18, 2012
I've had the same issue in every version of the app. When the screen is off and I say "okay Google" it wakes up the screen but does not unlock the phone. I have to slide to unlock and then the voice search begins as normal. If I disable the lock screen it works fine, but this really isn't an option for me. Any ideas?

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
I've had the same issue in every version of the app. When the screen is off and I say "okay Google" it wakes up the screen but does not unlock the phone. I have to slide to unlock and then the voice search begins as normal. If I disable the lock screen it works fine, but this really isn't an option for me. Any ideas?

As of the latest version, the design is that instead of unlocking the lockscreen (security implications) the lockscreen stays up, but behind it you should hear Google Now starting to listen. If you ask a question that results in a spoken response like "What's the weather" it will speak it from behind the lockscreen. You will still need to unlock the screen otherwise. Are you sure that this isn't the case? Try asking a question once the screen turns on and see what happens... If this still is not happening, what device, rom, and kernel?

nik71990

Nov 18, 2012
As of the latest version, the design is that instead of unlocking the lockscreen (security implications) the lockscreen stays up, but behind it you should hear Google Now starting to listen. If you ask a question that results in a spoken response like "What's the weather" it will speak it from behind the lockscreen. You will still need to unlock the screen otherwise. Are you sure that this isn't the case? Try asking a question once the screen turns on and see what happens... If this still is not happening, what device, rom, and kernel?

This makes sense and it seems to work like this sometimes but other times it makes a different noise and will not work. On the latest version I've also noticed that the "okay google" phrase seems to work the first time but each subsequent try will not work whether the screen is on or off.
Also, sometimes the app turns off the system volume and won't allow the system volume to be turned back up or changed at all. Even turning off open mic does not return the system volume back to normal. Only rebooting the device fixes it.
Thank you for your work - I love the concept of this app.

Device: Verizon galaxy s4
ROM: eclipse v2.0
Kernel: stock

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
This makes sense and it seems to work like this sometimes but other times it makes a different noise and will not work. On the latest version I've also noticed that the "okay google" phrase seems to work the first time but each subsequent try will not work whether the screen is on or off.
Also, sometimes the app turns off the system volume and won't allow the system volume to be turned back up or changed at all. Even turning off open mic does not return the system volume back to normal. Only rebooting the device fixes it.
Thank you for your work - I love the concept of this app.

Device: Verizon galaxy s4
ROM: eclipse v2.0
Kernel: stock

Can you please send me the log right after you notice this? Thanks

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Ok the app has just undergone a complete ui overhaul, not going to lie, it's pretty sweet :) It's based off of +Adriano Loiacono design (shown below). Anyways it is almost done and should be ready soon... I'm also hoping to get the app translated into a few languages. Please email me if you are bilingual, the process is pretty simple, I've uploaded the text onto Google Translator Toolkit so all you have to do is edit the machine translations.

open_mic%252B.jpg

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
Open Mic+ 3.0 Phoenix Beta

2013-10-13+18.04.09.png

Introducing Open Mic+ 3.0 Phoenix. Weighing in at a download of exactly 666kb, Open Mic+ is rising from the ashes and making it's way back onto the Play Store. The plan is for the official release to be next Saturday, but you can grab the beta now from Google Play and the app will automatically update once it is released. To download the beta you must first join the Open Mic+ Community and then follow the link posted in the community. Note: If you do not join the community the link will result in a 404.

Anyways here is what is new in the beta!
- UI refresh (Thanks to Adriano Loiacono)
- Translation into Spanish (Thanks to Paulo Calvo and David Margolin) Note: We are still looking for translators!
- Option to turn off English speech recognition optimizations for users using foreign hot phrases, this will improve reliability
- Major bug fix where wave activation would continue after stopping
- Improvements to algorithm of wave activation and working behind lock screen

https://plus.google.com/communities/100667043521142013060

Reactions: Ja_som and Dredz

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Can't get it working on Motorola RAZR m xt907 stock deoxed 4.1.2...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Can you give me more information, can't do much with can't get it working. Also if you could send me a log by clicking Send Feedback it will be helpful.

I cleared cache and data in Google search... uninstalled your app installed rebooted opened app started app and it now launches Google now... I apologize for posting prior to trouble shooting... although its been randomly opening Google now after I have stopped the app even with display off... checked settings and that option is not selected...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Yah so sorry it seems that Google doesn't support speech recognition in that language... As mine is based off of their speech recognition it won't work :( You could always try spelling words phonetically in English though

When i start Google Now via this app, then I can speak my language and is working... Also previous version was OK...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

RSenG2x

Jun 3, 2012
Seattle, WA
www.RSenApps.com
When i start Google Now via this app, then I can speak my language and is working... Also previous version was OK...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

You're right Slovak is on the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice_Search. Strange, I haven't changed anything that would affect the speech recognition... I would try a reinstall and a reboot? Idk seems weird to me... Send me a log that way I can see what it interprets... Also make sure to turn off English Optimization.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About Open Mic+
    Google Now, Everywhere.

As featured on XDA, LifeHacker, SlashGear, Android Community, Android Spin, dotTech, AndroidInt'l, and more!

With Open Mic+ for Google Now, access all the commands from anywhere on your phone. Simply say "Okay Google" or wave your hand in front of the screen. Screen on, screen off Google Now will be ready to listen.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
    Google Now becomes more conversational as after a search just say Okay Google to start a new one. And even better get the answers to your questions while your hands are tied, or when you're on the couch, or in the car.

TOMORROW'S FEATURES TODAY
    Everybody's talking about the new Touchless Controls features for the Moto X, but now any phone that is running Jelly Bean or higher can have the same experience.

SEAMLESS
    Open Mic+ will run in the background and can be configured to start at boot so that it truly becomes part of the phone.

TASKER INTEGRATION
    Truly automate your device by combining the endless command list of Tasker with the ease of access of Open Mic!

Open Mic+ uses offline voice recognition which means less data usage and faster results.

What I'm working on:
    See the g+ page for more details! Also please contact me if you are willing to contribute. Experience in sound engineering is especially welcome!

Please see the g+ page for more details and for videos (Also follow to be notified of updates!): http://plus.google.com/112424215551484520138/posts
    Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix

[QRCODE]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix[/QRCODE]

Remember this is a work in progress, if it isn't working for you now, make sure to follow the g+ page so you'll know when I make it better :)

Changelog:
    5.4:
    - Google has asked me to remove the Google Speech Engine due to high server traffic. From here on out, the only supported speech engine will be PocketSphinx... Kind of sucks, but you know you're legitimate when you are producing enough traffic for Google to care about you :)
    - Because of this change Tasker commands are not supported... yet (I know a way just need more time). For now use my other app Commandr http://goo.gl/ymwQ46
    - Fixes for conflicts in Lollipop
    - Pocketsphinx optimization
    5.3:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.2:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.1:
    - bug and crash fixes
    5.0:
    - Completely redesigned UI to both simplify and guide the user experience (inspired by the Google Now design)
    - Tablet-Optimized UI
    - Multiple optimizations for PocketSphinx and Google engine
    - Device-specific optimizations for Nexus 5 and Moto G
    - Change sensitivity of Wave and Shake Detection
    - Simplify Listen while screen off settings (even I got confused before!)
    - Automatically blacklist apps that use the mic (this fixes issues with the camera, Shaazam, and other similar apps)
    - Fix Tasker Command problems (this update will wipe your current commands)
    - Visual feedback to show what Open Mic+ is doing
    - Redesigned Support interface which will auto-send logs and device information (with consent) and will allow two-way conversations without an email address (Huge thanks to Sky Kelsey and the Apptentive Team!)
    - Targeted Surveys which will allow me to push updates more effectively
    - Many donate-only features are now free
    - Free users who are unable to pay for the donate version can now get all of the donate features by sharing to two out of three of Google+, Facebook, and Twitter
    - Multiple crash and bug fixes
    - Professional Translations for Portuguese (Brazil) and Spanish

Not included in this update, but also figured out how to allow Tasker Commands for PocketSphinx! This will be included in a future update :)

4.5:
    ★ Lots of Force close and bug fixes (sorry these are very complicated issues, still working on them...)
    ★ Additional logging to help understand other issues
    ★ Tweaking of PocketSphinx engine settings for better recognition
    ★ Resolving issues with UserVoice SDK (if you are having trouble sending a log, remember that your log is copied so you can always paste it into the email link below)
    4.4:
    ★ Lots of Force close and bug fixes (sorry this took so long, but they were pretty tricky to figure out)
    ★ (Donate) Pocketsphinx - Option to pause listening during music playback
    ★ Issues with sending support requests should be resolved
    ★ Check if both versions are installed to prevent accidentally using the free version when the donate version is installed
    4.3:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (Thanks for all the logs! If you are still having this issue please email me. Sorry it has taken so long to fix these, but it is actually a very complicated issue which has many sources)
    ★ Shake sensitivity fixed
    ★ Bug fixes & performance improvements
    4.2:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (if you are still having this issue please email me)
    ★ Crash reporting added to help fix future crashes. This requires the Internet permission, which is why I added it. Please know that based on my privacy policy (http://OpenMic.RSenApps.com/privacypolicy.html) I cannot and never will upload any data without the user's consent
    ★ Native contact us, knowledge base, and future ideas, just click the Support button. This makes it easier to report issues...

4.1:
    ★ Force close and Can't Reach Google fixes (if you are still having this issue please email me)
    ★ Huge Apk/install size fixed
    ★ Various bug fixes...

Version 4.0 ICS (I Crave [Pocket]Sphinx):
    ★ PocketSphinx Speech Engine Integrated. PocketSphinx is a much faster, more reliable, and more battery efficient speech recognition engine and can now be used with Open Mic+ (Tasker commands are not supported yet...)

What this means:
    - Faster, more reliable recognition
    - Significantly reduced battery and memory usage
    - Volume muting bugs resolved
    - Recognition during music playback
    - (Donate) Customize sensitivity

★ (Donate) Read out SMS messages when Open Mic+ is running (useful while driving)
    ★ Shake phone to activate
    ★ Loads of bug fixes and performance improvements
    ★ New Language: Finnish (Thanks to: Jaakko Salminen)

WHAT'S DIFFERENT IN THE DONATE VERSION
    Hi, my name is Ryan Senanayake and I'm a Junior still in high school. As the amount of time I have spent on this project grows to more than 1000 hours, I need to better justify the time I spend on development. The Free version will in no way be hobbled and will continue to receive bug fixes + performance/battery improvements, but from now on, new features will be added to the Donate version. It will only cost $2 and if you are not able to spend this, just shoot me an email and I'll send you one for free.
    does this consume battery life?

No it enables solar charging via front camera.
    Here is latest APK I pulled from the site a few hours ago
    First working prototype of PocketSphinx integration completed! I'm not going to lie, once this is fully working it is going to be awesome. Recognition time is now so fast that it seems instantaneous. Even from a screen off mode, Google Now is open in less than a second. Also battery consumption is far less due to now fully (instead of offline-capable) recognition and recognition accuracy also seems to be far improved as well! RAM usage is down an easy 50% though I haven't been able to run comprehensive tests! Finally on a side note, recognition now works during music playback and all problems due to muting volumes are now solved as these hacks are no longer necessary!

If anybody wants the update now, shoot me an email (tickets@rsenapps.uservoice.com), I'm not really at a point where I need testers, but if you are dying to try it, let me know :)

Also I have a question of how to precede with foreign language interpretation. Right now I'm building PocketSphinx with an English dictionary and all custom hotphrases need to be English words. Is this a problem? Can I completely ditch Google Speech Recognition and all of its problems or should I keep including it?
    Version 4.0 ICS (I Crave [Pocket]Sphinx): #OpenMic+
    ★ PocketSphinx Speech Engine Integrated. PocketSphinx is a much faster, more reliable, and more battery efficient speech recognition engine and can now be used with Open Mic+ (Tasker commands are not supported yet...)

What this means:
    - Faster, more reliable recognition
    - Significantly reduced battery and memory usage
    - Volume muting bugs resolved
    - Recognition during music playback
    - (Donate) Customize sensitivity

★ (Donate) Read out SMS messages when Open Mic+ is running (useful while driving)
    ★ Shake phone to activate
    ★ Loads of bug fixes and performance improvements
    ★ New Language: Finnish (Thanks to: Jaakko Salminen)

Update pushed now, make take awhile (usually 2 hours) for Google's servers to update
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.OpenMic.Pheonix