Yep, 633x does work!

Search This thread

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
OK, after searching for a good SD card... I found 100mb/s reads from top shelf SD cards made for high def recording to work well on our Note 8.0 devices.

Though I did the mistake of moving a few 500+ MB apps to SD, yes they were quick to transfer... just as slow at backing up to SD as before my tests.

One thing that is a hidden bonus... before, when I disabled saving cached images in a xposed module... there was considerable lag in showing album art from mp3 files. Now it is barely noticeable when scrolling at a fast pace. I had over 300MB of cached images before disabling android's built in feature. Now I can have my cake and eat it.

Since many are moving apps to SD, I recommend the fastest speed you can get, not the fastest you can afford.

remember write speeds will very, by burst mode and read/write verification, as with TI Backup. I would assume dumping data would be greater, just have no way to measure quantitatively, just seat of the trousers.

Here is a list of compatible ultra high speed SD cards.

PNY Elite 100MB/s (Able to get them in the UK, US is low availability)
Sandisk Extreme (Plus/Pro) 95MB/s
Toshiba Exceria 95MB/s
Lexar 633x 95MB/s

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
OK, after searching for a good SD card... I found 100mb/s reads from top shelf SD cards made for high def recording to work well on our Note 8.0 devices.

Though I did the mistake of moving a few 500+ MB apps to SD, yes they were quick to transfer... just as slow at backing up to SD as before my tests.

One thing that is a hidden bonus... before, when I disabled saving cached images in a xposed module... there was considerable lag in showing album art from mp3 files. Now it is barely noticeable when scrolling at a fast pace. I had over 300MB of cached images before disabling android's built in feature. Now I can have my cake and eat it.

Since many are moving apps to SD, I recommend the fastest speed you can get, not the fastest you can afford.

remember write speeds will very, by burst mode and read/write verification, as with TI Backup. I would assume dumping data would be greater, just have no way to measure quantitatively, just seat of the trousers.

Here is a list of compatible ultra high speed SD cards.

PNY Elite 100MB/s (Able to get them in the UK, US is low availability)
Sandisk Extreme (Plus/Pro) 95MB/s
Toshiba Exceria 95MB/s
Lexar 633x 95MB/s

I forgot to add... I have done extensive redirection of files and folders to SD card. I only moved apps over 200mb in size as their data was a bit large to be taking up system ram.

All my downloads, media, backups and internet cache are stored on SD card. About half of the apps allow default folder redirection, so an xposed plugin was used to set redirect system defaults for all media types and downloads. So far I do not see any noticeable lag as before using my old SD card. Though it was 20mb/s read/write capable. I am now at 95MBps / 45MBps

I am using Trickster Mod to push my cache to 2048 for added speed improvements.

thany2

Mar 17, 2014
I forgot to add... I have done extensive redirection of files and folders to SD card. I only moved apps over 200mb in size as their data was a bit large to be taking up system ram.

All my downloads, media, backups and internet cache are stored on SD card. About half of the apps allow default folder redirection, so an xposed plugin was used to set redirect system defaults for all media types and downloads. So far I do not see any noticeable lag as before using my old SD card. Though it was 20mb/s read/write capable. I am now at 95MBps / 45MBps

I am using Trickster Mod to push my cache to 2048 for added speed improvements.

Are they actual speeds, or speeds claimed by the manufacturer? Big difference. I'm not totally convinced the SD-interface itself is capable of such high speeds, but I would love to be wrong on that.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Are they actual speeds, or speeds claimed by the manufacturer? Big difference. I'm not totally convinced the SD-interface itself is capable of such high speeds, but I would love to be wrong on that.

I have no real data as android does not have a good set of tools for proper testing.

I do know the speeds given are maximum. Given that doing random read/write functions will be much lower.

Though I did test a UHS-1 64gb that had 30mb/s read - 20mb/s write. It took 30 minutes to perform a full Ti Backup to SD.
On reading mp3 files, I noticed lag bringing up album art in Samsung music player with cache disabled.

With the 633x chip, and same full backup, I got 17 minutes backup time in Ti Backup.
On reading mp3, hardly any lag with album art in Samsung music player and cache disabled.

I assume the biggest issue is write speeds on the Ti backup test. As the 633x chip has 2x the speed for writes.

Seeing how my chip is working well, you may find a 600x chip will work just as good for less money. After all there is not much difference in speeds between the 600x and 633x chips at this time. Mostly due to write speeds. Getting a 65+ MB/s write speed is more critical than getting 90+ read.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
OK, it has been some time since I posted...

Here is my update!

Ti Backup has been my sole source for testing, as my backups have been timed and consistent.

As for placing apps on the SD card, speeds are much better than expected. In some cases faster than having them loaded to the system.
Just there is no way to beat the speeds for backing up from system as there seems to be a bottle neck with the internal data channel and SD card. It shows up even more so with OTG connection. Could be the driver not hardware for SD slot, the USB2 connection will be limited as seen in OTG testing. Once I have 4.4.x installed from OTA, I can make a better run at testing SD slot performance.

GT-N5110 & GT-N5120 - 64GB 633x on board, Status Official on SafeRooted OEM ROMs with Wanam Xposed and RootCloak. The only way to fly 8+ hours!

This badboy don't play with Play & Triangle away!

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
Android has several great tools for testing SD cards. SD Tools, A1 SD Bench, SD Card Tester. You can test a number of different ways. They're definitely better than just timing a backup.

Well if you place a full back up on SD and also have apps and large files on SD as well, you are getting the best test as far as I am concerned.

Real world performance vs synthetic benchmarks has always been a pain in my side.

Giving such a review should hold up over numbers from bench mark apps. I scoff at numbers, as they are skewed into one thing or another. Just like Intel getting bigger numbers over AMD, Yet, AMD ran faster for my real world experience.

I'm old school, real world or no world for me! Its a wonder why I bother with the internet, as it is too virtual for any existence. HA!

GT-N5110 & GT-N5120 - 64GB 633x on board, Status Official on SafeRooted OEM ROMs with Wanam Xposed and RootCloak. The only way to fly 8+ hours!

dontsurf

Nov 24, 2012
Wellington
Well if you place a full back up on SD and also have apps and large files on SD as well, you are getting the best test as far as I am concerned.

Real world performance vs synthetic benchmarks has always been a pain in my side.

Giving such a review should hold up over numbers from bench mark apps. I scoff at numbers, as they are skewed into one thing or another. Just like Intel getting bigger numbers over AMD, Yet, AMD ran faster for my real world experience.

I'm old school, real world or no world for me! Its a wonder why I bother with the internet, as it is too virtual for any existence. HA!

The point of benchmarking is to put the system through the same tests under the same circumstances and give equipment and equal footing. That's probably not what you're doing with titanium backup. There's a bunch of variables that could skew your results when you just time it like that. Without a proper benchmark is probably as valuable as reading the max read writes from the packet.

gooberdude

Oct 27, 2010
The point of benchmarking is to put the system through the same tests under the same circumstances and give equipment and equal footing. That's probably not what you're doing with titanium backup. There's a bunch of variables that could skew your results when you just time it like that. Without a proper benchmark is probably as valuable as reading the max read writes from the packet.

Wha??? Now freak'n way dude! I know I have been in the business for 40 freak'n years. Cache, and background services always screw up benchmarks, and there is no way to make equal be equal.

As for my tests... I have 3 gb of apps and data on system. 1 gb of data on SD, and 300mb of apps on SD. Do the math, a full backup on Ti making the backups on SD, will allow both random read writes which are critical, and sequential read/writes as a mix. What I stated from the beginning all being equal moving from a fast 30MB/s card to 633x allowed for cutting my time almost in half.

I have done, 5 tests back and forth and the times are all the same. Seeing is believing since I have already noted, disabling cache made Samsung music player slow at reloading album art, while the 633x chip acts like cache is enabled.

Again do the math... I doubled write speed from chip specs, and got results along with showing reads are much faster by how the apps function.