[FLASH] How to use NCS to change from RM-820 to RM-821 and vice versa

Search This thread

halabibk

Jan 17, 2009
Band Issue was fixed with the latest update....

I investigate more about it and the problem is only in VODAFONE DE hardware so far, so I can say is safe to do ---> Do not change from 821 to 820 your bands will get screw, always will show the LTE bands for the 820, even if you flash back to 821 pre-portico and portico. Now my phone is not working properly, every time I go in network search the phone reboot...any help from anyone will be appreciated?

I am going to explain in an easy way, assuming you have some basic knowledge to flash any other produces like 820 to another 820 or from 821 to another 821:

Case 1: Nokia Lumia 820 or Roger Product RM-820 to International Version RM-821

a. Do not connect the phone.
b. Download the FW that you like.
c. Create the folder in ….\Products\RM-820
d. Copy the files for the RM-821 FW that you previous download in that folder.
e. Open NCS, open product, select RM-820 and it will highlight the FW that you put in that folder.
f. Press start, the NCS will validate the FW and explain to press volume down + power and retry key to proceed to flash.
g. At this time with the phone off, press volume down + power and as soon the phone vibrate, connect to usb and press retry.
h. That is it. Your phone from RM-820 will be recognizing as RM-821.

Note: The original product code will always remain.

Case 2: Nokia Lumia International Version RM-821 to 820 or Roger Product RM-820 or any product converted before as RM-821

c. Create the folder in ….\Products\RM-821
d. Copy the files for the RM-820 FW that you previous download in that folder.
e. Open NCS, open product, select RM-821 and it will highlight the FW that you put in that folder.
f. Press start, the NCS will validate the FW and explain to press volume down + power and retry key to proceed to flash.
g. At this time with the phone off, press volume down + power and as soon the phone vibrate, connect to usb and press retry.
h. That is it. Your phone from RM-821 will be recognizing as RM-821.

I hope that clarify how to do it and help others to enjoying flashing. A thanks click will be appreciated and I am not responsible for any damage caused by this procedure to any of you.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I try again from DEV 821 to 820 ATT fail. From DEV 821 to 820 Roger Working. From 820 Roger to 820 ATT Fail. I old version and Portico to go to ATT fail.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
For some reason there is no way to change a RM-820 ATT and RM-822 to RM-821. Everything else RM-820 can go RM-821 and vice versa.

Last edited:

abelitin

Dec 15, 2012
Thanks for this tutorial...

I'd like to ask you something maybe you (or someone) know the answer for...

I have an unlocked Rogers 920 which I am not using on Rogers, but on an AWS carrier. It works fine mostly, but if I flash/reflash, I cannot restore any backup, since I cannot get data working until I set up the network access point app that someone found hiding in the store a while ago. But I cannot download it until I get connected to wi-fi, and I cannot connect until the phone is fully set up, at which point, I can no longer restore a backup... (thanks to MS for this, I guess)...

At this point, I have a few apps installed, some were even downloaded on special days that were free, so if I flash the standard way, I will lose them and will have to install them again...

Do you know (or can you guess) if once the DEV ROM is installed the phone does allow to connect to data without having to install the access point add-on from the Store? That way, I would be able to restore my backup...

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

--
Abel

hawc1506

Jan 31, 2009
Bellevue, WA
Hello,

Thanks for posting the tutorial. Do you have any information on how this may affect future OTA updates once NCS is shut down?

patrick92260

Nov 9, 2008
Not really known 100% at this point. When I flashed my ATT 920 to Rogers pre-portico rom, it let me do the OTA upgrade to the rogers portico rom. Not sure if this will still work if you change an RM-820 into an RM-821 but it seems like it will.

Reactions: hawc1506

studystand

Apr 20, 2011
What exactly do I gain from installing an international version RM-821 onto my Rogers RM-820? To my understanding it would unbrand it (boot screen, pre-installed applications) and get tethering to work. Can anyone else confirm that? Anything else?
Also, you mention "Download the FW that you like.", where can we find firmware and how will we know that its compatible?

halabibk

Jan 17, 2009
What exactly do I gain from installing an international version RM-821 onto my Rogers RM-820? To my understanding it would unbrand it (boot screen, pre-installed applications) and get tethering to work. Can anyone else confirm that? Anything else?
Also, you mention "Download the FW that you like.", where can we find firmware and how will we know that its compatible?

What exactly do I gain? Just fun installing other FW for diferents countries.
Can anyone else confirm that? You did mention.
Download the FW that you like? NaviFirm+ 1.7
how will we know that its compatible? 820 / 821 / 822 all are compatible.

patrick92260

Nov 9, 2008

The major thing is that if you have lost your AWS band, flashing the RM-821 euro dev rom will enable it again. It will also get rid of the boot logo and all preinstalled apps.

RikP

Jan 6, 2007
I am going to explain in an easy way, assuming you have some basic knowledge to flash any other produces like 820 to another 820 or from 821 to another 821:

Case 1: Nokia Lumia ATT or Roger Product RM-820 to International Version RM-821

e. Open NCS, open product, select RM-820 and it will highlight the FW that you put in that folder.

Case 2: Nokia Lumia International Version RM-821 to ATT or Roger Product RM-820 or any product converted before as RM-821

e. Open NCS, open product, select RM-821 and it will highlight the FW that you put in that folder.

I hope that clarify how to do it and help others to enjoying flashing. A thanks click will be appreciated and I am not responsible for any damage caused by this procedure to any of you.

This doesn't work. trying to flash 820 to 821 and receiving:
Invalid response from device, incorrect message id

halabibk

Jan 17, 2009
This doesn't work. trying to flash 820 to 821 and receiving:
Invalid response from device, incorrect message id

I test in every ways and I can flash from 821 to 820 to any FW without no problem and vice verse, you must be doing something wrong. Try to install the latest NCS 2013, this what i used.

petard

Feb 12, 2006
for the ppl asking about tethering on ATT Lumia,

I have my ATT lumia 920 with stock ATT rom and I have tethering enabled on it, you need to download the "access point" app from the market and then tethering will be enabled on your device.

This is the link for the app, click on it from your cell phone:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/access-point/ce3895c7-01d0-4daf-a4c3-25c10463942d

What settings do you do in the access point app? I've tried changing stuff but it won't work, still says to call 611.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Case 1: Nokia Lumia ATT or Roger Product RM-820 to International Version RM-821

Case 2: Nokia Lumia International Version RM-821 to ATT or Roger Product RM-820 or any product converted before as RM-821

I try again from DEV 821 to 820 ATT fail. From DEV 821 to 820 Roger Working. From 820 Roger to 820 ATT Fail. I will dig more with old vertion. Portico to go to ATT fail.

Which version of NCS are you using? Can you give a link? I can't flash my AT&T to Rogers or Euro Dev

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
I believe the only way to get from ATT to Rogers and for that matter Euro DEV is to do ATT (pre or post protico) to Rogers pre-portico then update via OTA then Euro Dev. The way back to ATT is kinda unknown because... well why the hell would you want to go back to a restricted bloat filled turd like the ATT ROM. Anyways this was all covered and gone over in the other thread about the Euro Dev ROM and a little in the Lost Rogers AWS thread....

Last edited:

oldyas

Oct 20, 2008
I want to flash rm-820 for ATT to firmware rm-821 but I have an error

0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.MurzimProgrammingException: 0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

в Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.RecoveryDialogModel.Flash()
в Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.RecoveryDialogModel.<HandleDownloadVariantPackageCompleted>b__8(Object state)

petard

Feb 12, 2006
I just flashed ROGERS pre-portico on my AT&T 920 and installed Access Point. I'm able to tether .
Now I'm trying to get the unbranded Euro dev ROM installed, but if I can't get that, the Rogers ROM is good enough. No restrictions, gets updates when AT&T ROM does, and lets me tether. Might be best to stay on it, actually!

Edit: Can't seem to get LTE working on the Rogers ROM... Odd since they use the same LTE bands, don't they?

Last edited:

halabibk

Jan 17, 2009
Hi, could you provide a link to the latest NCS 2013? Thank you for the tutorial but unfortunately it doesn't work for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

You can download the latest version in this thread over here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1605144

Uninstall the old version and install this, them update to latest version from the NCS.

So far to go from any 821 to 820 ATT “fail”, form any 821 to 820 Roger “work ok”, this happen with portico.

I am download the ATT pre-portico to try again If I get this successfully I will modify the post to explain how to go from 821 to 820 ATT and from 820 Roger to 820 ATT.

Stay tune…!

Reactions: habnzrot

petard

Feb 12, 2006
I updated Rogers to Portico and using the Access Point app and switching to 2G max then back to LTE max, my ATT 920 now is running Rogers ROM and lets me access LTE, but it's giving me the stupid call 611 message when I try to tether now. ****.

Flashed Euro Dev Portico ROM. No go on tethering with that, either. Going back to rogers portico now. I was able to enable tethering a few times with Rogers, but it started giving me that dumb message consistently. Damn AT&T.

Last edited:

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
I updated Rogers to Portico and using the Access Point app and switching to 2G max then back to LTE max, my ATT 920 now is running Rogers ROM and lets me access LTE, but it's giving me the stupid call 611 message when I try to tether now. ****.

Flashed Euro Dev Portico ROM. No go on tethering with that, either. Going back to rogers portico now. I was able to enable tethering a few times with Rogers, but it started giving me that dumb message consistently. Damn AT&T.

Try to manually set up the APN, or if you can reset your phone using the Euro Dev ROM with your SIM in the phone to allow ADC to run. What is happening is when you switch to LTE it pulls ATT's settings (which include the tethering block) from pre-defined APN's stored on the phone, not from the SIM itself. Although under the Euro Dev ROM you probably won't get LTE because I believe the bands are set differently than what is needed for ATT but you should still be able to tether via 3G(H) or 4G(H+)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Band Issue was fixed with the latest update....

I investigate more about it and the problem is only in VODAFONE DE hardware so far, so I can say is safe to do ---> Do not change from 821 to 820 your bands will get screw, always will show the LTE bands for the 820, even if you flash back to 821 pre-portico and portico. Now my phone is not working properly, every time I go in network search the phone reboot...any help from anyone will be appreciated?

Case 1: Nokia Lumia 820 or Roger Product RM-820 to International Version RM-821

Case 2: Nokia Lumia International Version RM-821 to 820 or Roger Product RM-820 or any product converted before as RM-821

I try again from DEV 821 to 820 ATT fail. From DEV 821 to 820 Roger Working. From 820 Roger to 820 ATT Fail. I old version and Portico to go to ATT fail.

For some reason there is no way to change a RM-820 ATT and RM-822 to RM-821. Everything else RM-820 can go RM-821 and vice versa.
    So, did anybody here successfully flash a non-ATT rom on ATT RM-820? For me, whatever I try, it doesn't work...

Ok, so I managed myself to do it, but it wasn't easy, till I put all the pieces together. Here it's how and what's different from the first post:
    1. Download rogers pre-portico rom from the next link in your ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820 folder (if you don't find your ProgramData, un-hide hidden folder from Control Panel\Folder Options) (notice that NaviFirm does't list this rom anymore, guess why :)): http://wp.it168.com/thread-217624-1-1.html
    2. Remove the checksum from all the downloaded file names
    (e.g. 985F2CE8_RM820_1232.2109.1242.1002_RETAIL_nam_cana da_200_02_100347_prd_signed.ffu
    would be renamed to
    RM820_1232.2109.1242.1002_RETAIL_nam_canada_200_02 _100347_prd_signed.ffu
    and so on for the other remaining files, otherwise NCS will not allow you to flash the rom due to "invalid signature"
    Thanks ka84 for this tip form here: http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-l...ws-bands-back-bricked-rogers-lumia-920-a.html
    3. Now flash this rogers pre-portico rom on your ATT Nokia Lumia 920 (accept the warning about non-matching rom)
    4. Some users say they were able to flash other RM-821 roms over this rogers, it did not work for me, not even the portico rogers rom, so, if it's your case, too, update the phone in settings/update to the rogers portico rom
    5. After the update installs, for safety reset your phone from settings/about
    6. Now download and install with NCS whatever RM-821 rom you want. It does not mater if you open and RM-820 or RM-821 product with NCS.
    If you're in North America, this might be screwing your LTE network, since RM-821 is for Europe and frequencies are different so find more info about this, before you do it.
    I tried a bit to flash again ATT RM-820 on my newly flashed RM-821 and it did not work, like it says in the first post. Now I am not interested to go back to ATT RM-820, since I am in Europe, but just in case you have in mind to go back... well, it might be tricky...
    Not really known 100% at this point. When I flashed my ATT 920 to Rogers pre-portico rom, it let me do the OTA upgrade to the rogers portico rom. Not sure if this will still work if you change an RM-820 into an RM-821 but it seems like it will.
    for the ppl asking about tethering on ATT Lumia,

I have my ATT lumia 920 with stock ATT rom and I have tethering enabled on it, you need to download the "access point" app from the market and then tethering will be enabled on your device.

This is the link for the app, click on it from your cell phone:
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/access-point/ce3895c7-01d0-4daf-a4c3-25c10463942d
    All I want to do is enable Internet Sharing on my ATT Nokia 920 (White). My phone is unlocked for any carrier using the unlock code I got from ATT customer support. I am able to get LTE using T-Mobile in a refarmed area that I live in.

To enable Internet sharing on the GoPhone Plan I am on,
    1. I plan to flash a pre-portico Rogers ROM (Black or Yellow as pre-portico ROGERS WHITE ROM is not available).
    2. OTA updated to get portico
    3. Reset using About Phone
    4. Flash Finnish Euro RM-821 ROM

Is this the correct recommended method for me?

Can someone post the URL to download Euro ROM for RM-821 (Lumia 920). If it needs to be specific to color, I have the WHITE one.

HI,

You can find all lumia codes here http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f60...ting-care-suite-download-1660094/#post9434277
    You're plan is good and there is white rogers (you can see it from the link i provide you) RM-820 VAR AMERICA CA ROGERSWIRE SL WHIT 059R6P3