[INFO][WIP] Linux on the TF101 (coming soon (I assume))

Search This thread

cowballz69

Jul 10, 2007
Asus would dominate the tablet market with this due to the dock that makes it into a possible real pc now. Did asus give any indication on releasing tools for nvflash?

archosfan

Dec 3, 2010
Will dual-boot be possible, too?
Otherwise that would be nothing for me, cause for multimedia Android is much better and I have a netbook.

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
Asus would dominate the tablet market with this due to the dock that makes it into a possible real pc now. Did asus give any indication on releasing tools for nvflash?

RayMan and bumblebee already got tools set up, and they're releasing soon.

Will dual-boot be possible, too?
Otherwise that would be nothing for me, cause for multimedia Android is much better and I have a netbook.

It's been done on other Android devices so I don't see why not.

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
When you really think about it.....Android IS a variant of linux.

That's the same as saying OSX is a variant of Unix.

Android borrows the Linux kernel, but aside from that the user interface and feature set is completely different from the typical desktop environments like Gnome and KDE in other Linux distributions. If Android was actually able to provide anywhere close to the same capabilities as a desktop Linux distribution, people wouldn't be asking for a way to install Ubuntu instead. :p

AlexTheStampede

Jan 16, 2011
That's the same as saying OSX is a variant of Unix.

Android borrows the Linux kernel, but aside from that the user interface and feature set is completely different from the typical desktop environments like Gnome and KDE in other Linux distributions. If Android was actually able to provide anywhere close to the same capabilities as a desktop Linux distribution, people wouldn't be asking for a way to install Ubuntu instead. :p

"Linux" is the kernel, while Ubuntu, Android, Fedora is the distribution in full. But those are all powered by Linux... and btw OSX is Unix, since XNU (the kernel, funny enough it's open source) is certified as such.
Clearly if you cripple the potential of the platform with an interface and toolset suited for mobile use like Android or iOS, you lose some features and gain usability. A tradeoff most are happy with :)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
"Linux" is the kernel, while Ubuntu, Android, Fedora is the distribution in full. But those are all powered by Linux... and btw OSX is Unix, since XNU (the kernel, funny enough it's open source) is certified as such.
Clearly if you cripple the potential of the platform with an interface and toolset suited for mobile use like Android or iOS, you lose some features and gain usability. A tradeoff most are happy with :)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

The Linux kernel that actually makes it into the final builds of Android is not the same kernel that you would find in desktop and server distributions. Mainly, it is missing the X Window system and doesn't support all of the GNU libraries, and has tons of other Android-specific additions and architecture changes for the sake of security and interoperability with certain mobile device standards. You can't just throw together the Android-ified Linux kernel with any desktop environment of your choosing like you can with the actual Linux kernel that ships with Ubuntu and Fedora. Furthermore, the changes that Google does make to the kernel do not get included into the mainstream kernel, and that fork has existed for quite some time. That is why Android is Linux-based, and not actually a Linux distribution.

TheDeadCPU

Retired Senior Moderator
Jun 22, 2009
ಠ_ಠ
Linux is just the kernel. Ubuntu, fedora etc are distributions with everything else needed to make the OS work.

jhanford

Mar 12, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
The Linux kernel that actually makes it into the final builds of Android is not the same kernel that you would find in desktop and server distributions. Mainly, it is missing the X Window system and doesn't support all of the GNU libraries, and has tons of other Android-specific additions and architecture changes for the sake of security and interoperability with certain mobile device standards. You can't just throw together the Android-ified Linux kernel with any desktop environment of your choosing like you can with the actual Linux kernel that ships with Ubuntu and Fedora. Furthermore, the changes that Google does make to the kernel do not get included into the mainstream kernel, and that fork has existed for quite some time. That is why Android is Linux-based, and not actually a Linux distribution.

<pedantic>
Pretty sure the Linux kernel proper does not come with X-Windows or GNU libraries (although it does rely heavily on the GNU toolkit, hence GNU's insistence that it be called GNU/Linux - http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html)
</pedantic>

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

earlyberd

Mar 29, 2010
<pedantic>
Pretty sure the Linux kernel proper does not come with X-Windows or GNU libraries (although it does rely heavily on the GNU toolkit, hence GNU's insistence that it be called GNU/Linux - http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html)
</pedantic>

Was that really necessary?

The point of this discussion is that Android is not Linux, does not include the vast majority of libraries found in standard Linux distributions, is thus incompatible with the vast majority of Linux applications, and is otherwise missing large portions of functionality. The fact that Android has some basis in Linux does not solve the problem of there being thousands of users out there that need to be able to do more than just basic word processing and web browsing on their mobile devices, but also want hardware that won't soon be neglected by developers.

Some people need VLC, Eclipse, GIMP, or various Oracle applications to get their work done. Telling people that Android has some similarity to Linux doesn't make those applications any easier to port, and would be pointless anyway if the same hardware can run Linux distros natively.

brunes

Dec 9, 2006
The Linux kernel that actually makes it into the final builds of Android is not the same kernel that you would find in desktop and server distributions. Mainly, it is missing the X Window system and doesn't support all of the GNU libraries...

Your kernel has the GNU libraries in it? and X Windows? Must be pretty large...

The point of this discussion is that Android is not Linux
Actually, it is.

Linux == The Kernel. Everything else is just the distribution. Honeycomb is basically a Linux distribution, just like Ubuntu, RedHat, and Gentoo are. It is just highly specialized. And if you think that because it doesn't have the GNU libraries makes it somehow not Linux, you are DEAD wrong. There are a plethora of devices and distributions that do not use the GNU libraries or toolchain.

Aside from this, the fact that you seem to continuously confuse the kernel with the distirbution indicates to me you aren't really qualified to discuss this topic, so I would stop arguing it.

Last edited:

jhanford

Mar 12, 2009
Fort Collins, CO

The point of this discussion is that Android is not Linux, does not include the vast majority of libraries found in standard Linux distributions, is thus incompatible with the vast majority of Linux applications, and is otherwise missing large portions of functionality. The fact that Android has some basis in Linux does not solve the problem of there being thousands of users out there that need to be able to do more than just basic word processing and web browsing on their mobile devices, but also want hardware that won't soon be neglected by developers.

Some people need VLC, Eclipse, GIMP, or various Oracle applications to get their work done. Telling people that Android has some similarity to Linux doesn't make those applications any easier to port, and would be pointless anyway if the same hardware can run Linux distros natively.

Did you even go to the gnu link? Linux is the kernel. Android uses the Linux kernel. It's the tools on top of it that are missing (hence busybody)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So as we all know soon we will have the files to access nvflash. This for one will hopefully allow us to install any OS we want.

Here is a guide to flashing ubuntu through nvflash onto a tegra 2 device:
    http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/workaround-run-ubuntu-now

Now lets hope once the nvflash tools get released in the coming days we will be able to do this.
    got the kernel built, ill see if i have time for the rest of it tomorrow.
    My new production box is up and running, and when I left the house today I had git pulling nVidia's nv-tegra/linux-2.6 branch.

I work 60-80 hours a week though, so this is very much a 'in my spare time' type project for me.

I'm hoping to get the T2 kernel compiling sometime over the weekend, maybe have time to mess with it Monday-ish.
    Came across more info on the bootloader subsystem, too -

http://www.androidenea.com/2009/06/android-boot-process-from-power-on.html

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack,_Edit,_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images

http://elinux.org/Using_Bootchart_on_Android

Too bad I'm at work, or I could be having fun working on this, instead ;) I'll be experimenting Monday. I work Tuesday-Sunday, so doubt I'll have much time to play with this until after the weekend :(
    Good job! So, if I understand correctly you put it on the recovery partition(partially) and then boot via volume down + power ? Can you provide instructions on how to put this thing on our transformers and possibly a bin file(s).
    I am dying to boot ubuntu on my tablet. Thanks in advance. :)

with some editing to the flash.cfg you could put the ubuntu kernel into recovery, the kernel is slightly larger than what recovery allows, but a normal android kernel for the device fits without editing into recovery.

My current layout is RECOVERY (5) android kernel, LNX (6) ubuntu kernel, mmcblk1p1 rootfs.

here is the boot.img I use. this will boot to the first partition on your uSD, this can be edited using abootimg by changing the command lines root= arguement. This kernel is for a raw ext4 partition on your sd card.

Please do not mirror this, it is far from complete, and I am not going to supply full instructions at the moment, if you know what you are doing it is pretty straight forward, otherwise wait until the next version I release with a few usability fixes