Phone will not boot past recovery. Please help, major panic!!

Search This thread

Lagamorph

Jul 17, 2011
Oh dear.....I hope I haven't destroyed my O3D....

I was attempting to install the V10D update, so used the backup I took right after rooting and installing ROM Manager to restore the phone to its status before installing the performance pack. If I tried installing the update OTA before this I just got an invalid package error.

So the restore went well and it rebooted fine. So I ran the update again, and it downloaded and appeared to install, but when the phone rebooted it just booted straight into the recovery. I tried to get it to reboot again, but again it just booted back into recovery.

Ok, nothing to worry about I thought, I just ran the restore again with the same restore point as before....but after it finished it's still booting back up into the recovery!!! No matter what I do the phone just seems to keep booting into the recovery menu. I've tried booting into emergency mode by powering the phone off, then holding the UP Volume key and holding power, but it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone help? Please?

Lil update -
When powering off the phone and then connecting it to the USB cable, it automatically boots into recovery mode without me even touching the power button. At this point the LG Mobile Update detects the phone and advises me that there's an update available. I try to apply this, but after entering the SN and IMEI, it just gives me a message "Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update". I get the same error if I use the recovery Phone option. This always happens at the download stage, so is it possible that it's just failing to download the update from LG rather than actually do anything with the phone?
Please don't tell me I've ruined my brand new phone!!

Last edited:

madshaun1984

Nov 22, 2008
London
Unfortunatly, you've managed to do the same as I have... leave the phone for e a few days and wait for a rom that you can install via clockwork recovery, you'll have your phone up and running again. Dont do as I did and wipe the recovery from the phone, it will result in a total brick (or at least a brick till LG releaase a full rom update (could be months yet...).

Renegade_Rulez

Mar 21, 2006
I have the same problem, if you put it into emergency mode you can update to 10d but then its even worse then you are stuck in the firmware update screen :(

tomorrow I leave on holiday and was planning for nice 3d pictures and movies but I am screwed... :(

m33ts4k0z

Jul 16, 2011
Örebro

I was attempting to install the V10D update, so used the backup I took right after rooting and installing ROM Manager to restore the phone to its status before installing the performance pack. If I tried installing the update OTA before this I just got an invalid package error.

So the restore went well and it rebooted fine. So I ran the update again, and it downloaded and appeared to install, but when the phone rebooted it just booted straight into the recovery. I tried to get it to reboot again, but again it just booted back into recovery.

Ok, nothing to worry about I thought, I just ran the restore again with the same restore point as before....but after it finished it's still booting back up into the recovery!!! No matter what I do the phone just seems to keep booting into the recovery menu. I've tried booting into emergency mode by powering the phone off, then holding the UP Volume key and holding power, but it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone help? Please?

Lil update -
When powering off the phone and then connecting it to the USB cable, it automatically boots into recovery mode without me even touching the power button. At this point the LG Mobile Update detects the phone and advises me that there's an update available. I try to apply this, but after entering the SN and IMEI, it just gives me a message "Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update". I get the same error if I use the recovery Phone option. This always happens at the download stage, so is it possible that it's just failing to download the update from LG rather than actually do anything with the phone?

Don't panic, I managed to totally brick my phone today and LG told me to send it back for DOA but I managed to recover it in the end.

My phone wouldn't show anything on the screen, it remained black so I can say your position sounds much better than mine.

What you will need:

USB Drivers - Download from here (Check note)
LG Mobile Support Tool (LGMST) - Download from here
Before you start: Disconnect the phone from the computer and totally remove the battery.

So here we go:

!!!REMOVE ALL THE LG USB DRIVERS FROM THE SYSTEM BEFORE YOU CONTINUE!!! Go to add remove programs, select the LG United entry and then uninstall it.

1. First install the USB Driver from the link above and wait until it has finished with the setup.
  2. Then run the LGMST. When it starts and it says "Disconnected." then put the battery back to the phone and connect the phone to the computer.
  3. Press ONLY the Power button and wait until something happens. If you see that the phones boots and the LGMST starts it by itself then wait till it stops with all the information gathering stuff.
  4. Then regardless of what the program says of you having an update or not, DON'T START THAT UPDATE!
  5. Click on alt on the keyboard and the from the menus at the top select Customer and then emergency(the last option).
  6. Type in the phones IMEI (located at the box of the phone or on a sticker under the battery) without dashes, just numbers.
  7. Finally click on Check and follow the instructions on the screen.
  8. You should be ready as new after 10-15 minutes with the standard V10B firmware and you should not even lose data.

Tell me if that helped so if it didn't we can still fix it I'm sure

Note: I'm aware that 3.3.0 is the latest USB driver that it ships with the phone but for some reason I had only success to flash the phone using the older 3.2.1

Reactions: Lagamorph

Lagamorph

Jul 17, 2011
Don't panic, I managed to totally brick my phone today and LG told me to send it back for DOA but I managed to recover it in the end.

My phone wouldn't show anything on the screen, it remained black so I can say your position sounds much better than mine.

What you will need:

Before you start: Disconnect the phone from the computer and totally remove the battery.

So here we go:

!!!REMOVE ALL THE LG USB DRIVERS FROM THE SYSTEM BEFORE YOU CONTINUE!!! Go to add remove programs, select the LG United entry and then uninstall it.

1. First install the USB Driver from the link above and wait until it has finished with the setup.
  2. Then run the LGMST. When it starts and it says "Disconnected." then put the battery back to the phone and connect the phone to the computer.
  3. Press ONLY the Power button and wait until something happens. If you see that the phones boots and the LGMST starts it by itself then wait till it stops with all the information gathering stuff.
  4. Then regardless of what the program says of you having an update or not, DON'T START THAT UPDATE!
  5. Click on alt on the keyboard and the from the menus at the top select Customer and then emergency(the last option).
  6. Type in the phones IMEI (located at the box of the phone or on a sticker under the battery) without dashes, just numbers.
  8. You should be ready as new after 10-15 minutes with the standard V10B firmware and you should not even lose data.

Note: I'm aware that 3.3.0 is the latest USB driver that it ships with the phone but for some reason I had only success to flash the phone using the older 3.2.1

I'm afraid that didn't work (I think I'm gonna cry soon)
When I go to the Customer Support option, the last option isn't called Emergency it's called "Recovery Phone" and seems to launch exactly the same thing as it does if I click the big "Start Updating" button. There is no option named Emergency at all. Does that mean my phone isn't/wont/can't boot into Emergency mode?

I don't even hold down the power button for my phone to switch on, the second I insert the battery it boots into Clockwork Recovery. If I power off the phone and connect the USB, I don't get the battery charging animation or anything, the screen just remains completely blank. Then if I press the power button (alone or with anything else) it just boots to Clockwork recovery.

The LG Mobile Support Tool seems to detect the phone in this state, but as I said, when it tries to do the download, I just get an error saying "Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update". The version of the Mobile Support Tool that it's installing is 1.5.1.8 after downloading from your provided link, just incase you need to know that. It seems the tool automatically updates itself on every launch.

Someone also seems to have posted the actual ROM in this thread, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1155874 would installing this perhaps assist? Is it even possible to install this when my phone wont boot up past the recovery manager? If it is possible can someone perhaps advise me how?

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Jul 17, 2011

Unfortunately the phone wont boot into Emergency mode. The clockwork Recovery mod seems to have taken over all of the boot options. If I hold the volume up key and press the power button, nothing happens. If I hold the volume down key and the power button, it boots to clockwork recovery. If I just press power, boots to clockwork recovery.

Is there any way to strip off Clockwork recovery and restore the original/stock recovery onto the phone? Or even just remove Clockwork recovery so that it just hangs on the LG boot screen? (See reasoning for this below)

I can still select the USB mount option in Clockwork recovery and the PC still picks it up as a storage device and I can browse around.
The phone is only 7 days old, so I'm almost tempted to just delete the internal memory so that clockwork doesn't show up, then take the phone back to the store and say it wont boot up and try to get it replaced.

Or what would happen if I renamed the clockworkmod folder on the phone's hard drive?

(Just another note, I don't have an external SD card in the phone, just the internal memory)

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Jul 17, 2011
1)Plug USB cable
2)Hold "POWER+VOL.UP" (Wait logo LG and mobile screen off) 10 seconds !! For Emergency mode!
3)Hold a second time "POWER+VOL.UP" 10 seconds (the mobile is detected by LGMobile update)

The screen is off in this mode.

PS:

I am trying to upload a backup of the rom.

You may be able to restore from the recovery clockwork ... but it must be 4.0.0.9

I do have 4.0.0.9 of the ClockworkMod recovery.

I've tried holding the up volume key and then holding the power key, and I do seem to get emergency mode with the LG Mobile update software detects the phone (with no Clockwork Recovery mod showing on screen) however when I try to use the Recovery phone option, I still get the same error "Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update"

If you can upload a backup of the ROM and advise on how to install it via Clockwork, you will be my hero.

ik911

Apr 13, 2009
london
1)Plug USB cable

2)Hold "POWER+VOL.UP" (Wait logo LG and mobile screen off) 10 seconds !! For Emergency mode!

3)Hold a second time "POWER+VOL.UP" 10 seconds (the mobile is detected by LGMobile update)

PS:

You may be able to restore from the recovery clockwork ... but it must be 4.0.0.9

I've tried holding the up volume key and then holding the power key, and I do seem to get emergency mode with the LG Mobile update software detects the phone (with no Clockwork Recovery mod showing on screen) however when I try to use the Recovery phone option, I still get the same error "Updating is not possible any longer due to a fatal error while the LG Mobile Phone Software Update"

If you can upload a backup of the ROM and advise on how to install it via Clockwork, you will be my hero.
I had the same error "fatal error " your not putting it in recovery mode right I fixed myn

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk

Lagamorph

Jul 17, 2011
I had the same error "fatal error " your not putting it in recovery mode right I fixed myn

How else can I put it into Recovery Mode? How can I tell if I've done it right?

I managed to hold the up volume key and hold down the power button, and the LG Mobile Update detected the phone whilst the screen was blank. I thought that meant I was in recovery mode?

I should point out that the LG Logo wasn't flashing up however. I only ever see the LG Logo before it boots into Clockwork RecoveryMod

m33ts4k0z

Jul 16, 2011
Örebro
I also got that fatal error thing when i bricked my phone. For me the phone would start flashing but it got stuck at 17% and then an error followed saying that there was a communication problem between the phone and the pc. My solution was to switch from my desktop computer to my laptop and the procedure ran smoothly after.

You said that the phone powers up directly after you connect it to the pc and while having the support tool running?

You can try to shut it down so it shows a black screen as you said and then try to boot into emergency mode with the vol.up+power button.

The windows sounds might help you on that. you can listen from the computer when the phone connects/powers up or not.

EDIT: Just read your post, if the phone remains black is a good thing.

ik911

Apr 13, 2009
london
if your update fails or goes into clockwork recovery etc you will need LG mobile update on your pc and install the lg p920 drivers

turn your phone off take the battery out leave it for 10 sec, connect battery and usb cable hold power and volume up hold it for 10 sec let go then do it again for 10 sec

now run LG mobile update click customer support > recover type your imei let it update once finished power up phone now you will get a screen on the phone that says updating let it update

Last edited:

Lagamorph

Jul 17, 2011
Well I'm not sure what I did differently. Not sure if I wasn't pressing the button hard enough or my finger was slipping off, or if I've just somehow tricked the phone, but the LG Phone Update from the Phone Recovery option is now running.

I've been doing the same thing I was doing before (or at least thought I was doing) and I'm not sure what I did differently....but....fingers crossed..... the download will finish in 40 minutes (on a crappy connection at the moment) so I'll be able to see what happens then....

UPDATE -
Progress, though not quite yet success.
The LG Mobile Support tool downloaded the software and applied the update succesfully, though my phone didn't automatically restart. I pressed the power button however and it loaded up and not into Clockwork Recovery Mod. It's not however sitting on an "Updating Firmware" screen and the progress bar doesn't seem to be filling at all.
How long does this part of the process normally take?
Does the phone need to be connected to USB for this part of the process? The LG Mobile Support Tool says the phone is disconnected so I'm guessing there's no active data connection between the PC and phone, just power.
Does this normally take a while? Or should I perhaps try the recovery again?

Last edited:

m33ts4k0z

Jul 16, 2011
Örebro
Well I'm not sure what I did differently. Not sure if I wasn't pressing the button hard enough or my finger was slipping off, or if I've just somehow tricked the phone, but the LG Phone Update from the Phone Recovery option is now running.

I've been doing the same thing I was doing before (or at least thought I was doing) and I'm not sure what I did differently....but....fingers crossed..... the download will finish in 40 minutes (on a crappy connection at the moment) so I'll be able to see what happens then....

UPDATE -
Progress, though not quite yet success.
The LG Mobile Support tool downloaded the software and applied the update succesfully, though my phone didn't automatically restart. I pressed the power button however and it loaded up and not into Clockwork Recovery Mod. It's not however sitting on an "Updating Firmware" screen and the progress bar doesn't seem to be filling at all.
How long does this part of the process normally take?
Does the phone need to be connected to USB for this part of the process? The LG Mobile Support Tool says the phone is disconnected so I'm guessing there's no active data connection between the PC and phone, just power.
Does this normally take a while? Or should I perhaps try the recovery again?

This is only supposed to happen when you apply the OTA update. Try to reapply the stock firmware in emergency mode. After the program applies the firmware, it should boot up the phone by itself in android and give you a success or finish message on the computer.

Lagamorph

Jul 17, 2011
This is only supposed to happen when you apply the OTA update. Try to reapply the stock firmware in emergency mode. After the program applies the firmware, it should boot up the phone by itself in android and give you a success or finish message on the computer.

Is applying the Stock Firmware not what I did with the LG Mobile Support Tool when it downloaded that huge 300MB+ file?

I have contacted the customer services for Carphone Warehouse, and the guy advised that if the phone seemed to have developed a fault and wouldn't start, then since it's within 28 days of purcahse I can get a like for like replacement. Might have to go ahead and do that this evening.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Can anyone help? Please?

Lil update -

What you will need:

So here we go:

1)Plug USB cable

PS:

I also got that fatal error thing when i bricked my phone. For me the phone would start flashing but it got stuck at 17% and then an error followed saying that there was a communication problem between the phone and the pc. My solution was to switch from my desktop computer to my laptop and the procedure ran smoothly after.

You said that the phone powers up directly after you connect it to the pc and while having the support tool running?

You can try to shut it down so it shows a black screen as you said and then try to boot into emergency mode with the vol.up+power button.

The windows sounds might help you on that. you can listen from the computer when the phone connects/powers up or not.

EDIT: Just read your post, if the phone remains black is a good thing.
    if your update fails or goes into clockwork recovery etc you will need LG mobile update on your pc and install the lg p920 drivers

turn your phone off take the battery out leave it for 10 sec, connect battery and usb cable hold power and volume up hold it for 10 sec let go then do it again for 10 sec

now run LG mobile update click customer support > recover type your imei let it update once finished power up phone now you will get a screen on the phone that says updating let it update