[ROM] HerOMGB - Pure AOSP.

Search This thread

dkelley

May 11, 2010
Maple Ridge (close to Vancouver)
cool, hopefully it works better now. no matter how far I got yesterday in testing this I always ended up with resets when I was doing random things like using the market.

hopefully that was all just because of the wierd flashing issues I was having...

arnoslag

Jan 10, 2006
Losser
i tested google maps and don't get a location. i did set to "use wireless networks"
Maybe gps will work but didn test it.

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
Can you provide some options to disable the screen "TV Animation on - off" please.

dkelley

May 11, 2010
i tested google maps and don't get a location. i did set to "use wireless networks"
Maybe gps will work but didn test it.

yea this thing doesn't seem to have a perfect network-location setting. same with beautiful widgets in this rom - it doens't find it's location very well, if at all, unless you wait for gps to triangulate outdoors. don't have this problem in ohter roms.

Every issue with this rom seems to be identical to the problems in JieeHD's OMGB and OMFGB roms back a few months ago.

same location problems, I think (but I might be remembering wrong).

same thing where sometimes the screen doesn't display properly in launcherpro after an unlock the first time (desktop doesn't show but notification bar shows ok...) until you drag down notification bar and then let it back up again.

same poorly rendered UI elements such as the rough looking pixelated round radio button boxes. I'm pretty sure that Jiee imprved much of thsi stuff in his OMFGB rom and I was actually involved with him in the development of a final release of that rom that was going to be outstanding - but unfortunately the OMFGB dev team wouldn't authorize us to let me modify and rebuild their god app as I was being asked to do by JieeHD.

So, unfortunately, this rom seems to still share some of the great performance and frustrating flaws that JieeHD's original OMGB rom had.

I was hoping the OMGB rom this is built from would have improved since then! oh well.

I do like the rom and I like your build work and clear instructions for rebuilding it and contributing. I think JieeHD published instructions for building roms also but it may have been for a different type of situation - like maybe porting cdma to gsm or something (I don't recall for sure now!). I remember proof reading it for him LoL, but I don't remember what it was about ;-)

aosp is great, but gb aosp with it's stupid screen on animations seems like it would really benefit from extra cm-style controls.

AND that is why OMFGB came into existence - to improve upon OMGB by adding the missing features and controls everyone wanted.

good luck - I hope it keeps improving for the dev and for users.

I'm going back to decked 1.3e

S

stritfajt

yea this thing doesn't seem to have a perfect network-location setting. same with beautiful widgets in this rom - it doens't find it's location very well, if at all, unless you wait for gps to triangulate outdoors. don't have this problem in ohter roms.

Every issue with this rom seems to be identical to the problems in JieeHD's OMGB and OMFGB roms back a few months ago.

same location problems, I think (but I might be remembering wrong).

same thing where sometimes the screen doesn't display properly in launcherpro after an unlock the first time (desktop doesn't show but notification bar shows ok...) until you drag down notification bar and then let it back up again.

same poorly rendered UI elements such as the rough looking pixelated round radio button boxes. I'm pretty sure that Jiee imprved much of thsi stuff in his OMFGB rom and I was actually involved with him in the development of a final release of that rom that was going to be outstanding - but unfortunately the OMFGB dev team wouldn't authorize us to let me modify and rebuild their god app as I was being asked to do by JieeHD.

So, unfortunately, this rom seems to still share some of the great performance and frustrating flaws that JieeHD's original OMGB rom had.

I was hoping the OMGB rom this is built from would have improved since then! oh well.

I do like the rom and I like your build work and clear instructions for rebuilding it and contributing. I think JieeHD published instructions for building roms also but it may have been for a different type of situation - like maybe porting cdma to gsm or something (I don't recall for sure now!). I remember proof reading it for him LoL, but I don't remember what it was about ;-)

aosp is great, but gb aosp with it's stupid screen on animations seems like it would really benefit from extra cm-style controls.

AND that is why OMFGB came into existence - to improve upon OMGB by adding the missing features and controls everyone wanted.

good luck - I hope it keeps improving for the dev and for users.

I'm going back to decked 1.3e

Thank you for some constructive criticism! I do agree that this ROM have some flaws, but the reason I released this and will continue to develop it is because it's so fast!

Of course, there are plenty of fast ROMs. Decked for example. I agree with you that Decked is a great ROM, but since they don't seem to release any sources I believe that we have to create our own open source ROM for our hero so that the hero will continue to have a really good vanilla ROM even after the HeroC developers decides to quit.

The reason I released this ROM is because it's such a great base to work on. With the added build instructions, I'm hoping to see more developers join so that we can make a flawless and lightning fast GB ROM for the Hero.

dkelley

May 11, 2010
Thank you for some constructive criticism! I do agree that this ROM have some flaws, but the reason I released this and will continue to develop it is because it's so fast!

Of course, there are plenty of fast ROMs. Decked for example. I agree with you that Decked is a great ROM, but since they don't seem to release any sources I believe that we have to create our own open source ROM for our hero so that the hero will continue to have a really good vanilla ROM even after the HeroC developers decides to quit.

The reason I released this ROM is because it's such a great base to work on. With the added build instructions, I'm hoping to see more developers join so that we can make a flawless and lightning fast GB ROM for the Hero.

oh yes, totally agree. I was just trying to be complete in my observations and am a little disappointed that the original source that you built this from hasn't really improved in the past months - not your fault at all of course.

like I said - keep it up, and I hope it improves with time!

S

stritfajt

oh yes, totally agree. I was just trying to be complete in my observations and am a little disappointed that the original source that you built this from hasn't really improved in the past months - not your fault at all of course.

like I said - keep it up, and I hope it improves with time!

I'm also quite disappointed, mostly at the rendering. But I believe that is Googles fault, they didn't make GB optimal for devices with lower resolution.

But the fine thing about having the sources is that it's fixable :)

S

stritfajt

@stritfajt-i found a rather stable aosp rom i though of porting but since u started this thread i was wondering if ur interested.....

check this thread out

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1090234

its aosp 2.3.7 n alotta remarks abt how great its working....maybe u'd b interested in porting it?

Absolutely! I'll have a shot at building it tonight. If it works, I'll post build instructions and we can start working on that one instead :)

S

stritfajt

haha nice best of luck wit that :D

There vendor tree is very different from mine... I would have to spend some time investigating it to get it working, but I probably won't be able to do anything this week.

However, I did get network location on HerOMGB working. I'll upload small update in a minute! :)

nicky9door

May 3, 2010
Is anyone else having the settings app FCing when selecting certain options. For example, in the Display menu, selecting brightness causes a FC. So does Sound > Volume

arnoslag

Jan 10, 2006
Losser
Is anyone else having the settings app FCing when selecting certain options. For example, in the Display menu, selecting brightness causes a FC. So does Sound > Volume

yes, i have notice that. I did try to change the display brightnes and it FC. ( the ASOP rom not my build )

Last edited:

dkelley

May 11, 2010
yes, i have notice that. I did try to change the display brightnes and it FC.

wait,are you talking about omgb or arnoslag's "acidburn" rom that is linked via multiupload a few posts above yours?

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

holy moly arnoslag

running acidburn rom rihgt now. first I didn't flash gapps and was blown away its so fast, but went into cmsettings/performance and turned off dithering and enabled 16 bit textures and increased top clock speed and am now rebooting after flashing june 2011 gapps to get the full experience.

this is faster than omgb and sexier looking (newer) and works better so far and has the notification bar power toggle widget and newest lockscreen from CM7!!

might well be the perfect aosp rom. not as fast as ve6, but faster than the froyo cm roms I've tried recently...

Last edited: