[HOWTO] Enable Gen9 SDE menu

Search This thread

letama

Feb 13, 2008
Hi All, found that SDE menu is already in our firmware. It can be enabled very easily and it's quite safe. A big Thanks! to Calj and Tchoubidou for beta-testing it for me!

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you blow your device with this, I'm only using existing Archos commands but this is not an official Archos release. Use at your own risks.

Here is the method:
1) Root your device with Paul's root here. I didn't test it without root, but I'm 99% sure it won't work without root.
2) Unzip the content of the attached zip file to a directory
3) Launch the script enable_sde
4) Remove Paul's root with:

Code:
adb shell rm /data/local.prop

You shouldn't keep Paul's root on your tablet, it messes sound and device sleep.

Reboot into recovery mode, you should have the SDE menu now, you can flash your own kernel+initrd the same way it was done on previous generation.

One trick: the initramfs should be still named initramfs.cpio.gz, but it should be compressed with lzma with current kernel.

*FAQ*

Q: How can I boot straight to SDE instead of going through the recovery boot menu ?

A: There is two ways:

- *edit* Tested and working !

In SDE menu: boot in recovery, select "recovery system" then "Developer Edition Menu", then choose "remove android kernel". You will loose the dual boot menu and the possibility to boot stock firmware (you can reflash it afterwards though, re-enabling the menu at the same time), but your tablet will boot straight to developer edition.

If someone has tested this method, please report to this thread.

*edit*: I tested it on mine finally, this method works perfectly. It will be my recommended method from now on, reboot_into is nice but I'm not sure you can still get to recovery in case of boot loop.

- Use "reboot_into -s sde" command just after booting sde. It will set a flag that will make next boot go straight to sde. You can modify initrd to do that or use an apk to launch a script at boot.

Attachments

• gen9_enable_sde.zip
    3 MB · Views: 18,697
Last edited:

letama

Feb 13, 2008
with rooted or not rooted tablet ?

It was pre-rooted with Paul's.

More information, I found a little issue: while I was busy working on a proper initrd+kernel to allow root with this method, I noticed that boot menu is missing in recovery.

It means that the only way to boot the sde kernel is to do it from command line with this:

/data/local/tmp/abcbox reboot_into sde.

I'll look into recovery scripts to see if they are completely missing or if we could do something to enable the menu. Booting with reboot_into is not practical for daily use.

I confirm that the sde kernel boots though!

TjaXanK

Mar 14, 2010
sounds good, will be ordering my 80G9 Turbo soon, archos told me they will be available any day now and as soon as I get it, thanks to this I can get working on getting ubuntu running on the G9, since there now is an official Ubuntu for ARM with drivers and all for the OMAP

Reactions: IngoPan

letama

Feb 13, 2008
More information, I found a little issue: while I was busy working on a proper initrd+kernel to allow root with this method, I noticed that boot menu is missing in recovery.

In fact, everything is ok!

Talking with Tchoubidou, menu is showing up on his device! I forgot that having my previously hacked init kernel makes the system believe that I don't have any main android kernel and therefore hides boot menu.

cajl, if you want to get rid of my hacked kernel and see the menu, just flash last firmware and menu should appear. You'll loose root but you should have a functional SDE.

I'm uploading soon a rooted build.

IngoPan

Jan 11, 2011
Hi,

My adb cant find the 101 G9. I edited the usb ini but still no go.
Any idea on how to fix this? Where do i get the approp. usb # from?

Regards, Ingo

cajl

May 5, 2008
near PARIS (94)
jbmm.cajl.info
use this
;
; Android WinUsb driver installation.
;
[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
Class = AndroidUsbDeviceClass
ClassGuid = {3F966BD9-FA04-4ec5-991C-D326973B5128}
Provider = %ProviderName%
DriverVer = 12/06/2010,4.0.0000.00000
CatalogFile.NTx86 = androidwinusb86.cat
CatalogFile.NTamd64 = androidwinusba64.cat

;
; This section seems to be required for WinUsb driver installation.
; If this section is removed the installer will report an error
; "Required section not found in INF file".
;
[ClassInstall32]
Addreg = AndroidWinUsbClassReg

[AndroidWinUsbClassReg]
HKR,,,0,%ClassName%
HKR,,Icon,,-1

[Manufacturer]
%ProviderName% = Google, NTx86, NTamd64

[Google.NTx86]
; HTC Dream
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF
; HTC Magic
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C03&MI_01
;
;Moto Sholes
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB&MI_01
;
;Archos Gen8
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411&MI_01
;
;Archos Gen9
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1509
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1509&MI_01
;
;Arnova 7
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_140E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_140E&MI_01
;
;Arnova 7c G2
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_143d
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_143d&MI_01
;
;Arnova 7c
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1433
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1433&MI_01
;
;Google NexusOne
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02&MI_01
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E11
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E12&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E22&MI_01

[Google.NTamd64]
; HTC Dream
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF
; HTC Magic
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C03&MI_01
;
;Moto Sholes
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_22B8&PID_41DB&MI_01
;
;Google NexusOne
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_0D02&MI_01
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E11
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E12&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E22&MI_01
;
;Archos Gen8
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1411&MI_01
;
;Archos Gen9
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1509
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1509&MI_01
;
;Arnova 7
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_140E
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_140E&MI_01
;
;Arnova 7c G2
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_143d
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_143d&MI_01
;
;Arnova 7c
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1433
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1433&MI_01
;

[USB_Install]
Include = winusb.inf
Needs = WINUSB.NT

[USB_Install.Services]
Include = winusb.inf
AddService = WinUSB,0x00000002,WinUSB_ServiceInstall

[WinUSB_ServiceInstall]
DisplayName = %WinUSB_SvcDesc%
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\WinUSB.sys

[USB_Install.Wdf]
KmdfService = WINUSB, WinUSB_Install

[WinUSB_Install]
KmdfLibraryVersion = 1.9

[USB_Install.HW]
AddReg = Dev_AddReg

[Dev_AddReg]
HKR,,DeviceInterfaceGUIDs,0x10000,"{F72FE0D4-CBCB-407d-8814-9ED673D0DD6B}"

[USB_Install.CoInstallers]
AddReg = CoInstallers_AddReg
CopyFiles = CoInstallers_CopyFiles

[CoInstallers_AddReg]
HKR,,CoInstallers32,0x00010000,"WdfCoInstaller01009.dll,WdfCoInstaller","WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll"

[CoInstallers_CopyFiles]
WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll
WdfCoInstaller01009.dll

[DestinationDirs]
CoInstallers_CopyFiles=11

[SourceDisksNames]
1 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\i386
2 = %DISK_NAME%,,,\amd64

[SourceDisksFiles.x86]
WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll = 1
WdfCoInstaller01009.dll = 1

[SourceDisksFiles.amd64]
WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll = 2
WdfCoInstaller01009.dll = 2

[Strings]
ProviderName = "Google, Inc."
SingleAdbInterface = "Android ADB Interface"
CompositeAdbInterface = "Android Composite ADB Interface"
SingleBootLoaderInterface = "Android Bootloader Interface"
WinUSB_SvcDesc = "Android USB Driver"
DISK_NAME = "Android WinUsb installation disk"
ClassName = "Android Phone"
"

IngoPan

Jan 11, 2011
What do i do with this? Save as .inf file ,copy it in the usb driver dir and run it?

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

What do i do with this? Save as .inf file ,copy it in the usb driver dir and run it?

Also i have set the archos to debug mode but i still can access the nand and my sd card. Is this ok?

letama

Feb 13, 2008

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Also i have set the archos to debug mode but i still can access the nand and my sd card. Is this ok?

Yes, replace existing .inf in driver dir, then on question mark device try to use the driver in the directory. I don't have windows so I can't help on the exact naming, but you need to point explicitly the driver directory, not let windows choose the driver.

And yes, nand and sd are still accessible in development mode. Development just add another usb endpoint on top of existing ones.

IngoPan

Jan 11, 2011
Yes, replace existing .inf in driver dir, then on question mark device try to use the driver in the directory. I don't have windows so I can't help on the exact naming, but you need to point explicitly the driver directory, not let windows choose the driver.

And yes, nand and sd are still accessible in development mode. Development just add another usb endpoint on top of existing ones.

Its with the G8, nothing is working ;( I just noticed i just see "ADB" in the device Manager. But it has this 0x790 adress.

I pointed to the dir:C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver, before i edited android_winusb.inf wih the new Information. No Go.
Any clue?

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

@EDIT:
WORKING now. I had to change the PID,too. No one told me that:

;Archos Gen9
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1529
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0E79&PID_1529&MI_01

All fine now.

Last edited:

bsg411

Nov 23, 2007
Google Pixel 4 XL
Does anyone know if I can use hacked wifi tether on my evo4g on a stock Archos 101 G9? Or does my phone AND my tablet both need to be rooted to get to wifi working on the tablet?

letama

Feb 13, 2008
I seem to get stuck at the step where I run the scrip to enable the SDE menu in recovery. I copied to script vs sd card and I get "device not found" on my G9. Where did you place you script and how did you run it. I'm using adb in OSX. Thnaks.

You must launch the script from your mac, not from the device.

If adb is in path, I presume you should run the .sh from shell/console (don't know the exact name on mac). If you can't run it after unzip, try chmod 755 enable_sde.sh first.

I don't have mac so I can't help much more, sorry...

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
Does anyone know if I can use hacked wifi tether on my evo4g on a stock Archos 101 G9? Or does my phone AND my tablet both need to be rooted to get to wifi working on the tablet?

EVO 4G should be producing an infrastructure WiFi signal, so the Archos does not need to be rooted or have anything done to it to see your WiFi.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All, found that SDE menu is already in our firmware. It can be enabled very easily and it's quite safe. A big Thanks! to Calj and Tchoubidou for beta-testing it for me!

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you blow your device with this, I'm only using existing Archos commands but this is not an official Archos release. Use at your own risks.

Here is the method:
    1) Root your device with Paul's root here. I didn't test it without root, but I'm 99% sure it won't work without root.
    2) Unzip the content of the attached zip file to a directory
    3) Launch the script enable_sde
    4) Remove Paul's root with:

Code:
    adb shell rm /data/local.prop

You shouldn't keep Paul's root on your tablet, it messes sound and device sleep.

Reboot into recovery mode, you should have the SDE menu now, you can flash your own kernel+initrd the same way it was done on previous generation.

One trick: the initramfs should be still named initramfs.cpio.gz, but it should be compressed with lzma with current kernel.

*FAQ*

Q: How can I boot straight to SDE instead of going through the recovery boot menu ?

A: There is two ways:

- *edit* Tested and working !

In SDE menu: boot in recovery, select "recovery system" then "Developer Edition Menu", then choose "remove android kernel". You will loose the dual boot menu and the possibility to boot stock firmware (you can reflash it afterwards though, re-enabling the menu at the same time), but your tablet will boot straight to developer edition.

If someone has tested this method, please report to this thread.

*edit*: I tested it on mine finally, this method works perfectly. It will be my recommended method from now on, reboot_into is nice but I'm not sure you can still get to recovery in case of boot loop.

- Use "reboot_into -s sde" command just after booting sde. It will set a flag that will make next boot go straight to sde. You can modify initrd to do that or use an apk to launch a script at boot.
    http://www.jbmm.fr/?p=23701

this afternoon il will be use this method on not root tablet
    I have just test and it works
    sounds good, will be ordering my 80G9 Turbo soon, archos told me they will be available any day now and as soon as I get it, thanks to this I can get working on getting ubuntu running on the G9, since there now is an official Ubuntu for ARM with drivers and all for the OMAP
    Well, it should work, except if Archos fixed the exploit to get the temp root.

Just did it last night *after* upgrading to 3.2.78