SD card reader?

Search This thread

phrenicthenub

Feb 13, 2011
Vancouver
Hey guys, is there an external card reader that would plug into the micro USB port on the captivate? I've been searching for a while but all I can find is micro SD to SD card adapters when I would like to import photos from a camera right into the phone
It would be a shame to have to just use micro SD cards to use the internal slot. Thanks!

capocaccia

Mar 16, 2011
Oxford
Hey guys, is there an external card reader that would plug into the micro USB port on the captivate? I've been searching for a while but all I can find is micro SD to SD card adapters when I would like to import photos from a camera right into the phone
It would be a shame to have to just use micro SD cards to use the internal slot. Thanks!

I dont know of one that exists. But if youre trying to import your pictures you are going to be better off just inserting the micro sd into your phone and then copying all the image files to the phone. Its essentially the same process you would do if you had an external SD card reader except you actually have to put the SD card in the phone.

energyracing

Jun 3, 2011
Dayton
I'm not sure that there is such a beast that would plug into the microUSB, and if there was, I'm not certain that the Captivate has the functionality/interface to read and copy from the microUSB Slot. I'm pretty sure you need the computer as a go-between if the microSD isn't in the phone itself.

I think your best bet is directly putting the microSD from the Camera into the Cappy or you'll have to upload them to the computer first, then to the phone. Sorry

Bnblare

Oct 4, 2010
I've always wanted something like that, its a great idea but such a thing doesn't exist. Closest thing would be to get the flash drive adapter with the microSD slot built in.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

CuriousTech

Nov 16, 2010
Floor
Yeah, that's not really possible. For one thing it's a jack, not a plug. For another, it would need to power the device attached to it while still being able to be powered from the same port for charging. For another, it would need to be able to configure as a device or a host which would really be hard. And another, it would need to have drivers for SD readers, FAT, NTFS, and all kinds of other things.

CuriousTech

Nov 16, 2010
Floor
Wow. I stand corrected. :) That's a really flexible controller chip. They should have shown a backup battery being used as well in the pics too.

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
a kernel with USB HOST mode,
a USB OTG cable
a USB to micro USB cable
a USB card reader
a SD to microSD adapter.

and you can do exactly what you want....
but you will need a back pack to carry all your cables and adapters.

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
in general for any phone or tablet

an external hardrive like 1 or 1.5TB with USB will be a dream, u can power the drive with extra USB. But what about powering device with the screen? I think it will run out of juice much faster in this kind of setup. Your thoughts?

Tweak32

From the research I have done, it requires an org cable, an USB y-cable for hooking up an external power, and a from with org support. The two cables can be found on Amazon for 2-5$. You could use any USB charger or for portability... get one of the battery packs with USB output. Portable, but it is a lot to carry around.

You can also use a powered USB hub in place of the y cable.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts