Dafunk's Bits and Pieces

Search This thread

dafunk2

Sep 22, 2009
Firenze
Hello, I opened this thread just as a "container" thread for the little things and mods I'd like to do and I already did. It's not so much,... but a little is better then nothing :D.

Ok, let's start.

screensht.png

I use Max Manila 2.5.19202525 Ultimate 2.5, and like in the "older" versions I don't like the 4 notification icons. Don't get me wrong...I don't like the way they are undersized and flattened down, and not the icon style.
I digged a little into the file "7c60907d_manila" and I found out that the size of these icons is set to 60x55 pixels, but the original size of the notification icons is 64x64. This way it's obvious that the result will be a flattened icon.

I tried to start to design the icons from another "point of view", in a way that they have to be perfectly squared and not undersized, without any quality loss given by resizing. We also will have a quality loss because of the compression when importing the *.PNGs into the manila graphic files, but this is another story...

After many tries I found out that the real notification icon size should be 59x59 pixels, so this is what I did:

tutorialf.png

The image talk better then words....I designed an icon of 59x59 inside a 64x64 image canvas, leaving 5 transparent pixels to the right of the icon and 5 below.

Then I edited the mode9 file 7c60907d_manila setting the size of the notification icons at 64x64 (and no more 60x55) and realigning to X and Y positions, being sure that this way I will have perfectly squared and spaced icons (59x59) without no stratches or no undersizing and flattenings.

I hope you can understand me...

So I started to design for fun and pure passion some icon set you can see and download . The icons sets are mostly the same, but with little differences like the buttons borders, the glossy effect over the button, the corners more rounded and so on. I also added to the majority of the sets a little shadow of 1-2 pixel to give the icons a better smoothness and "depth".....these are the little things that makes the difference: probably you will not notice, but your eyes unconsciously will catch anything. ;)

Noborder

noborder.png

iPhone1

iphone1.png

iPhone2

iphone2o.png

Glossy1

glossy1.png

Glossy2

glossy2.png

Glossy3

glossy3.png

Dusk1 Def

dusk1def.png

Dusk1 Def Fade

dusk1deffade.png

Dusk1 Def Fade No-Gloss

dusk1deffadenogloss.png

Dusk1 Color

dusk1color.png

Dusk1 BW

dusk1bw.png

I had fun to design the "Dusk" sets, because I tried to figure out how grzegorz10 designed it's own set for Dusk Theme...LOL
George...I know that you would have done more beautiful, ehehehehe.

Inside each *.CAB there is also the file 7c60907d_manila with the corrected size and X/Y pos of the set.

Which I like most? I like Glossy3 and all Dusk Def sets....but I like also Noborder...

I tried to do these sets in many different ways to give you more choice, and to best fit your taste....hope you like it.

dafunk

EDIT 17/11/2009:
Added CAB to restore original notification icons

Last edited:

gwbard

Let me be the first to say -- Right On, Dude!!!
It's about time we got a bit of variety for the Ultimate notification/alert icons. No offense to g10 or max -- they are awesome -- but I've always though those default icons didn't do either of them justice. (oh, and bnm7bnm & djcedric have made some nice ones too, but it's great to have more choices)
Keep it up, Funk, these are excellent! :D

Last edited:

TeDeV

Aug 27, 2007
Athens
can you give us a cab with the original icons, so that if we don't like them, we can change back?

dafunk2

Sep 22, 2009
Firenze
Let me be the first to say -- Right On, Dude!!!
It's about time we got a bit of variety for the Ultimate notification/alert icons. No offense to g10 or max -- they are awesome -- but I've always though those default icons didn't do either of them justice. (oh, and bnm7bnm & djcedric have made some nice ones too, but it's great to have more choices)
Keep it up, Funk, these are excellent! :D

Hey, gwbard, nice to "see" you again :D
Thanks mate, but I know that g10 and max are the best...I'm sure that they gave not enough importance to the icons design because of much more important things to do like code fixes an so on. It's a luck for us if they think to the "engine"....you see, there is some other people that can provide nicer graphics like djcedric, ]bnm7bnm or me ;)

Thanks again gwbard ;)

@TeDev....
You're right, I will provide a cab to restore the original Max Manila Notification icons...just give me the time to do it :D

dafunk

TeDeV

Aug 27, 2007
Athens
hey thanks.

can i have one more request? :)

i love the noborder icons but... do you think you can make them almost transparent?

what i mean is...
they are there, but opacity is low , so that they won't look like they take too much space of the screen. the home tab will look cleaner and bigger. IF there is a notification like 1 or more messages then the message notification icon becomes 100% visible, if it doesn't have any new messages then it goes back to 20% visible (for example).

and this goes for the other 3 notification icons too.
i am guessing that this will be easy to be fixed.

i would be thankful :)

gwbard

hey Funk, if you happen to be taking "requests", I have a couple...
i love the noborder icons but... do you think you can make them almost transparent?
1) I really like TeDeV's idea for transparency, but to add one more twist -- it's always been a pet-peeve of mine to have calendar icons with a number(date) on them, it find it distracting (unless it is the REAL date, which is a great feature in manila 2.5) -- if you could possibly create a no-border version with a blank calendar icon that would make my day!

2) I think it may benefit many of us if you put all the _manila files in a "MaxTTM\Components\..." format .zip file. that would be much more convenient than the individual .cab files.

Take your time, though, I know you're busy -- just a couple of suggestions in case you get bored in your spare time ;)

cerato

Jan 13, 2009
I'd repeat Robert De Niro's words playing mobster boss in "Analyze that" while pointing finger at the shrink "YOU... YOU...:D [typical smile by Robert] :D
Hula, hula, hulaaaa :)
Hehe

boul69

Oct 13, 2007
Good Job

Very good job !

Thanks

Just one thing: I'd prefer a white envelope for the mail.

How could I change it ?

:)

Barty_2

Apr 19, 2009
Dafunk,

Just to say really nice icons, but FYI if you try to uninstall the icons it completely screws up maxycy theme, perhaps you can provide the files so we could install them using maxTTM, that way we can try it, if we like it...

dafunk2

Sep 22, 2009
Firenze
Sorry for the multiquoting, but I could not answer quickly in the past two days, so....

Excellent work dafunk! Adding it to my list of 2.5 bits...

:D Thanks millski, it's an honor for me, really

what i mean is...
they are there, but opacity is low , so that they won't look like they take too much space of the screen. the home tab will look cleaner and bigger. IF there is a notification like 1 or more messages then the message notification icon becomes 100% visible, if it doesn't have any new messages then it goes back to 20% visible (for example).

and this goes for the other 3 notification icons too.
i am guessing that this will be easy to be fixed.

i would be thankful :)

TeDev, yes, it's simple to do, is just like you said.
Hope to have a little time this evening to do a Noborder set with "2 states" icons.

hey Funk, if you happen to be taking "requests", I have a couple...1) I really like TeDeV's idea for transparency, but to add one more twist -- it's always been a pet-peeve of mine to have calendar icons with a number(date) on them, it find it distracting (unless it is the REAL date, which is a great feature in manila 2.5) -- if you could possibly create a no-border version with a blank calendar icon that would make my day!

gwbard, can be easily done. You should ask to maxycy if you want the right number over the blank calender notification icon....I think it has to be coded into a LUA script and I'm not a good coder, sorry...I don't know where to start from; these are my very first attempts with manila files :D
But if you need a Noborder version with blank calender, I'll do it for you :)

2) I think it may benefit many of us if you put all the _manila files in a "MaxTTM\Components\..." format .zip file. that would be much more convenient than the individual .cab files.

I'll take a look, because I never used MaxTTM, but I think it should be done easily (hope...)

Take your time, though, I know you're busy -- just a couple of suggestions in case you get bored in your spare time ;)

Ah ah ah ah.....I have 4 (four!!!) children and I'm a truck driver...do you really think I have some spare time? :D:D
And do you think that with 4 children I have time to get bored? LOL :D:D:D

I'd repeat Robert De Niro's words playing mobster boss in "Analyze that" while pointing finger at the shrink "YOU... YOU...:D [typical smile by Robert] :D
Hula, hula, hulaaaa :)
Hehe
Eheheheheh :D, you are crazy cerato LOL...told in a "good way", don't misundertand, eheheh. Funny

Very good job !

Thanks

Just one thing: I'd prefer a white envelope for the mail.

How could I change it ?

What set do you use? It's not a promise, but if I have some spare time :)D) in the next days I will do it of sure. You see that I'm customizing the sets for your individual needs, and it takes time....

Thanks to all of you, I'm happy to see that you like my little works.

dafunk