[Q] How do I remove MotoBlur from my Milestone 2?

Search This thread

pacharru

Jun 3, 2007
Paio Pires Village
(I am not sure if this question should be posted here or in Droid2 forum)

Anyone can help me to get MotoBlur out of my Milestone 2?
Is there anyone developing ROMS for this device?

I will be very happy with a standard clean 2.2 or 2.3 for Milestone 2.

nikosblade

May 28, 2008

You are on milestone 1 forums. Gl on 2.3, its not out yet even for nexus 1. :p

GoGs777

Jan 4, 2010

just install some home replacement... launcherpro, adw... and set it as default launcher.

pacharru

Jun 3, 2007
Paio Pires Village
just install some home replacement... launcherpro, adw... and set it as default launcher.

I already have LauncherPro as default launcher, it is installed since first day.
But this is not answering to my question, my question was how to remove MotoBlur!

EDIT: Motorola´s explanation for MotoBlur:

So what is MOTOBLUR you might ask? Well it’s not a phone as you might initially think. It’s a new service, a new skin which will be able to handle all your social networking needs. Motorola’s own Sanjay Jha showed everyone that half of the US mobile traffic is going to social networking sites. That means Motorola’s future phones will cover that aspect extensively.

MOTOBLUR will be able to sync email, contacts, photos from any source and get it straight to your home screen immediately. Whether it’s coming from Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, corporate email, MySpace, Gmail and more, you’ll never miss a thing with MOTOBLUR as the feature lets you manage your email addresses and social networking accounts. Or that’s what Motorola wants us to think.

So let’s check out some features:

Update social status on multiple social networks at once
Great visual experience
Check out friends’ status updates
Browse through messages in aggregated view or by account
Contacts’ status updates shown when receiving an incoming call
Remote delete in case phone gets stolen or lost
MOTOBLUR servers support
All we need now are some really hot Motorola phones to see these features of MOTOBLUR in action!

Last edited:

yudhistre

Feb 24, 2010
We need a new Thread for the Milestone 2

Indeed, I have root on my milestone 2.. with clockwork recovery...

but blur is still there... Need Cyanogen...

cadu.c.moraes

Dec 24, 2008
Rio de Janeiro
I've finally got my MS2 from Tim Brasil yesterday. First time on Android and can't figure out what belongs to Motoblur and what cames from Android. Is it just some sofisticated widget? What i'm gonna loose with no Motoblur. And what's the gain? Performance?

Edit: already notice it has its own message app, automatic back up with motoblur server, some contacts attributes, a function to link two ore more contacts from the same person etc. Not sure if I'm gonna miss it or not.

borrego

Feb 16, 2008
Motoblur is not just a launcher. Many useful widgets like News reader, Weather, Media sharing and the Docking station display rely on Motoblur to run. So make sure you don't want to use those features before you try to remove motoblur

3-S-E

Nov 6, 2010
Darmstadt
Motoblur is not just a launcher. Many useful widgets like News reader, Weather, Media sharing and the Docking station display rely on Motoblur to run. So make sure you don't want to use those features before you try to remove motoblur

Motoblur is also a number of services in the background. Services like the over-the-air-update-scanner, remote-data-eraser, remote-device-finder etc. You cannot just apply Launcher Pro, AWD Launcher, or something similar to your MS2 and think Motoblur is gone for good -> you just "hide" the Motoblur-surface, not deactivate the services.

n3man

Apr 3, 2010
I have actually used titanium backup to remove a large amount of the blur services it has significantly increased both the variety life and speed of my phone. give it a shot!

Shellite

May 28, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have actually used titanium backup to remove a large amount of the blur services it has significantly increased both the variety life and speed of my phone. give it a shot!

Ditto, I can confirm that there is a very significant difference, second day of owning the phone I had ripped out most of the motobloat and its much faster, battery lasts a solid day of moderate use, I've managed two days (struggling by the end of second day) with calls only.

Reactions: Djd10

TomaszD84

Aug 23, 2010
Ditto, I can confirm that there is a very significant difference, second day of owning the phone I had ripped out most of the motobloat and its much faster, battery lasts a solid day of moderate use, I've managed two days (struggling by the end of second day) with calls only.

Which services/apps are safe to remove?

BlackTemplar

Jan 16, 2011
For those who have not english as their language on the Milestone 2 switch to english and reboot your phone. Then the Apps have the names Shellite postet on his Link above.

Btw.: Sorry if my english is bad. Its not my mothers tounge (i am german ^^)

falecomcyber

Jan 11, 2011
I'm brazilian and i found all of the apps to freeze, just translating the original name.

The list:

Code:
nconnected 2.2
Date and Time 2.2
ES Musica
Help Centre 2.2
HipHop Official
Home screen tips 2.2
News 2.2
Quick Contacts 2.2
Revolver TV
Rock On Altitude
Social Messaging 2.2
Social Messaging Service 2.2
Social Networking 2.2
Social Sharing 2.2
Social Status 2.2
Toggle Widgets 2.2
TrueCountry
Weather 2.2
World Clock 1.0

I installed ADW Launcher EX and then froze 'Home 2.2'. (* DONT FREEZE HOME 2.2 UNLESS YOU HAVE INSTALLED A LAUNCHER REPLACEMENT FIRST *)

In addition to the above I have also frozen these items, which I do not use, but which may impact your usability:

AdService 1.0
blur.res 2.2 (no idea what this is)
BrowserMessage 2.0
com.motorola.phoneaddons 2.2
Data Manager 2.2
Data Manager Service 1.1
Messages 2.2
Messaging 2.2
Sticky Note 2.2
Universal Inbox 2.2
Yahoo Contacts 2.2

I am still experimenting with other apps/packages, I have not tested if MMS still works after freezing messages2.2/messaging2.2, but I dont use it anyway.

So far my phone is running super fast, typically see's ~150-200MB RAM free, plus using Milestone Overclock I'm running 1.25ghz @ 62VSEL.

I'll see if the milestone 2 will be faster without this apps.

EDIT:

I REALLY realized that the phone was much faster after that. I'm using the Zeam Launcher and the transitions are softer.
Don't know if it's a psicological effect but one thing i can tell: With a new launcher and freezing this apps i have a REALLY FASTER phone.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2009
Dresden
can you please specify, which application does what? I guess Some of them might be actually usefull?

also it would be very usefull to know which ones have the most significant impact on speed and batterylife.

edit: also I love the Facebook widget, is it possible to extract from motomlur and use it with launcherPro?

Last edited:

ovizii

Feb 9, 2011
I am curios about the same thing: what service/app included in motoblur does what?

What is part of motoblur's functionality and what is stock android?

I.e. linking Facebook contacts with Google contacts, is that motoblur or android working there?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.