7392 ruined my battery life

Search This thread

unlockMe

Mar 9, 2005
New York
no problem

updated a few days ago. no problem with the battery life (T-Mobile US HD7).
Radio rom = 5.51.09.11a_22.31.50.09U

I checked all the settings that can generate data activity and the 7392 had kept all my previous settings (like not checking for updates, ...).

I usually go 9am - 6pm, have a few hours of calls with my bluetooth headset and so far I have not ended up not having enough battery to finish a day.

It may depend on where you're located, poorly covered area means the phone has to beef up the power to the antenna to reach the cell towers.

BlitterTwisted

Mar 25, 2011
Manchester
www.oldgamer.co.uk
So does anybody who's rolled/rolling back fancy posting their Radio versions to compare?

I'm back on 7390 and heres my values:

Firmware: 2250.09.16901.401
Hardware: 0002
Radio: 5.54.09.21_22.33b.50.10U
Radio hardware: A.102.0.D4

I am on the unbranded EU ROM too.

In the next few days I might try reapplying my updates and then checking all settings to see if things I turned off have been turned back on again.

razer2911

May 2, 2011
San Francisco
I'm in the same boat...

After the update, not only is my battery draining faster, but my reception actually seems worse (subjective).

I hope we can find out why and get a fix for this sharpish as it's driving me nuts having to carry my charger around with me (quite a heavy user)...

The battery drain looks the same to me but the phone seems to have a hard time holding on to 3G signal and keeps switching back to EDGE.
Normally i get 3 bars of 3G signal at my work place but today the phone was on EDGE and even GPRS most of the day.

It's been 8 hrs since unplugging the phone in the morning and it's still at 80% charge. Although i just made 2 short calls, checked a few emails and about 10 minutes of web browsing.

btbarr16

Mar 25, 2011
Camera problems on 7392

I updated today to 7392 and rolled back almost immediately. I wasn't on it long enough to notice battery issues, but I notice a few other problems. First, I have the shazam app on my home screen and after updating it was gone from the home screen and app list. When it went to reinstall it in the market it only gave me the option to share the app which is what it does when an app is installed already. So I couldn't uninstall or reinstall it. Secondly, I was fooling around with the camera app and not to long after taking and deleting a few pictures I noticed a huge slow down and the screen became almost unresponsive. With a few graduation parties for some of my college buddies coming up and want my camera app to be working the way it should be.

moonshines

Apr 23, 2009
just my observation

it seems that those having battery issues after the may update are all euro roms.

i havent experienced battery issues after updating to 7392. im not even sure what the update is all about.

have you guys tried flashing a different rom region? ( i dont know if that is possible but how i see it if all of our hd7s be it its a euro,us asia version if they all have the same architecture most likely it would work)it could be with the add ons to the euro roms that make the battery life shorter (im not a techie guy but i do know how to flash roms lol!).

for my T-Mo_US hd7, im not experiencing any battery issues after updating to 7392 for three days now.

Last edited:

reddy_bun

Mar 17, 2011
Yeah.. it is true. I updated to 7392 and now the battery is getting over heated.
I used some applications like facebook, and then some internet browsing, market place search for around 10 minutes and then i kept my phone in my pocket. Then i could feel it so hot. After an hour i wanted to browse some internet and was schocked, the battery is down already.
Microsoft is sending all ****ty updates. I will downgrade it to 7390 today.

toff74

Jan 5, 2007
Manchester
Yeah.. it is true. I updated to 7392 and now the battery is getting over heated.
I used some applications like facebook, and then some internet browsing, market place search for around 10 minutes and then i kept my phone in my pocket. Then i could feel it so hot. After an hour i wanted to browse some internet and was schocked, the battery is down already.
Microsoft is sending all ****ty updates. I will downgrade it to 7390 today.

Dramatic much? :)

NoDo was obviously the big update and that was great. Then MS deemed the software not secure so rolled out a security update. Personally knowing my info is safe, but having to charge my phone more than before, whilst is a bit of an inconvenience, is worth the piece of mind.

If you have any negative feelings about online security, just ask PS3 users how secure they feel right now!!! ;):rolleyes:

reddy_bun

Mar 17, 2011
Dramatic much? :)

NoDo was obviously the big update and that was great. Then MS deemed the software not secure so rolled out a security update. Personally knowing my info is safe, but having to charge my phone more than before, whilst is a bit of an inconvenience, is worth the piece of mind.

If you have any negative feelings about online security, just ask PS3 users how secure they feel right now!!! ;):rolleyes:

NoDo was a big update??
I havent seen much of difference before and after NoDo, expect the copy paste option.
I know microsoft will be doing its best to make the device secure. Eating up of all the battery just for giving a little security doesnt make any sense. "The phone is more secure when its dead" i think this is what microsoft is thinking about.

bobfisher29

Jan 3, 2009
just my observation

it seems that those having battery issues after the may update are all euro roms.

i havent experienced battery issues after updating to 7392. im not even sure what the update is all about.

have you guys tried flashing a different rom region? ( i dont know if that is possible but how i see it if all of our hd7s be it its a euro,us asia version if they all have the same architecture most likely it would work)it could be with the add ons to the euro roms that make the battery life shorter (im not a techie guy but i do know how to flash roms lol!).

for my T-Mo_US hd7, im not experiencing any battery issues after updating to 7392 for three days now.
The latest update of Shazam moved it to the XBox Live Games section. I guess we can expect a new update soon.

I wonder if a different radio was included in the O2 update that has caused your battery life to suffer? I've honestly not noticed any difference on mine since upgrading to 7392, but mine's still locked. Maybe you picked up a different radio with the Euro download that doesn't work so well in the UK and is causing the battery drain? Just a thought!

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

saketh321

Jul 6, 2009
Vancouver
i got the update for my bell HD7 and the issue seems to be the same... my phone was pulled off of the charger this morning around 9:00 and by 6 the battery is barely alive with maybe 20 texts or so and a couple of phone calls less than 2 minutes.

tombrighteyes

Mar 23, 2007
Hidalgo, Tx.
T-mobile HD7

haven't had any issues with battery, other than the wierd charged it at night went to sleep (unpluged) then in the monring it ate a 3rd of battery, but im not sure if it was al the syncing or what, i do have feedback turned off from microsoft which i remember i heard it would send data constantly

but other than that insident i haven't had any problems, i'm also thinking its a specific update from where you are, becuase here t-mo no problems like that i do use it alot with facebook and have windows live constantly bombarding me with emails so i check and reply them and the acacionall text message during the day.
with games included btw.

i don't think a security update would drain the battery unless it was a process runing in the background for some reason :/

Audio

May 14, 2007
Salford Quays, Manchester
Just a thought, i did see this in another topic but i don't think people realize how much good it can do to a battery that's playing up.

Have you tried charging it to full, then running it till it's empty? I remember having some battery life issues a while back with the HD7, where it was literally lasting 4 hours before i had to put it back on charge.

So one night, i plugged it in untill the morning, then 5 hours later it was dead but i didn't have a means of charging it, so it was truly empty by the time i got home at the night. Plugged it in again for an overnight charge and i'm not kidding, 24 hours later (the following night it went uncharged), I was still at 40 - 50% battery.

Might be worth trying to save the hassle of rolling back if you're having problems.

BlitterTwisted

Mar 25, 2011
Manchester
www.oldgamer.co.uk
Just a thought, i did see this in another topic but i don't think people realize how much good it can do to a battery that's playing up.

Have you tried charging it to full, then running it till it's empty? I remember having some battery life issues a while back with the HD7, where it was literally lasting 4 hours before i had to put it back on charge.

Might be worth trying to save the hassle of rolling back if you're having problems.

Yeah I did try it because the phone was draining the battery 100% very quickly so I was then putting it on charge and letting it fully charge. This happened for three full days and no difference.

Microsoft told me via their twitter support to try the update again so I installed it lastnight.

Values now are:

Firmware: 2250.09.16901.401
Radio: 5.54.09.21_22.33b.50.10U

This is interesting because the firmware and radio versions have not changed. I liked the theory of a different radio version causing issues but it can't be because it's the same version. Only the OS version has changed.

The security update isn't an active process that uses CPU either, it's just some compromised SSL certificates that have been replaced/removed.

I'll see how it goes over the next day or two. I have spoken to my carrier (o2) regarding the fact that my last two updates have degraded my phone and they agree that should not happen but won't do anything to help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wow I just discovered something really really odd... At first I thought it was just me so I decided to time it on the second try, but oddly enough, using YouTube (I use Lazyworm's app its great) for 3-3.5 hours of video streaming still leaves me with about an eighth of battery life which is the same if I were to do a "power session" of Facebook, Twitter, and forums on my phone (believe it or not I've actually used my phone from 100%-0% battery in one session) and this "power session" of social networking and forum crawling turns out the same amount of battery time as video streaming... Odd... before (7390/7392) i would watch about 1-1.5 hour(s) about a movies worth really, and the phone would start blinking at me. Interesting find for me. I <3 WP7! Haha.
    hi Luisraul924,

so what exactly did you do to get such an (battery life) improvement?
    Nothing special I am anal about "battery conditioning" though, as some peeps call it.

Are you now on 7392? Did you notice more battery drain on 7392 like some people here do?