[DUALBOOT MOD] Shared Apps

Search This thread

charsleysa

Nov 17, 2011
Palmerston North
Hello everyone!

First of all, I am posting here as I am not able to post in the Development Forum. If a moderator sees this fit could he/she please move this thread to the Development forum.

This is a mod to Siyah's Kernel which allows Dual Booting.
Currently you are unable to share apps between your two ROM's and to me that is really annoying.
WELL, after much research and testing I have devised a script to allow sharing of apps between ROM's.
WARNING: Should only be used on freshly flashed 2nd ROM's otherwise you will lose all your downloaded apps for your 2nd ROM!!!

They way this works is to mount the data from your 1st ROM in your 2nd ROM, then symbolic link the app folder.
Now for all you people that are going to nag saying it has issues, stop it! If it has issues fix it yourself! I tested this on Omega ROM and ParanoidAndroid and it works fine.

First go through the process of flashing your 2nd ROM. Once that is completely boot into your 1st ROM again and download the attached file and extract its contents to "/data/media" otherwise known as the root of your internal SD Card.
Once completed, reboot into your 2nd ROM and download/open your Terminal app and type in the following commands
(lines starting with # are comments so don't type those into your terminal, also hit enter at the end of each line):

Code:
# Escalate to root (hit grant if a dialog pops up)
su

# Remount the system so you can write to it
mount -o rw,remount /system

# Now copy the file from your SD Card to /system/etc/init.d
cp /data/media/01userinit.sh /system/etc/init.d/01userinit.sh

# Change working directory to /system/etc/init.d
cd /system/etc/init.d

# Rename the 01userinit.sh to 01userinit
# If 01 is already used then choose the next lowest number e.g. 01banner so choose 02
rename 01userinit.sh 01userinit

# Change permissions just to make sure (remember to use your number if you changed the 01 part)
chmod 771 01userinit

After doing this close the terminal and reboot the phone into the 2nd ROM again. This time it should take a little longer and might say its upgrading a few apps.
This is largely untested so there is no guarantee it will work.

WARNING!!!! MUST READ THIS WARNING!!!!
Uninstalling an application from either ROM WILL uninstall it from the other ROM as well!!!
You are sharing apps directly, no mimics or anything!!!

Thanks for reading! Feedback is much appreciated, if there are issues I will be glad to listen and see if I can fix them but I make no promises. :silly:

Attachments

• 01userinit.zip
    348 bytes · Views: 735

zoot1

Jul 17, 2011
Navi Mumbai
onurface.blogspot.in
Hello everyone!

First of all, I am posting here as I am not able to post in the Development Forum. If a moderator sees this fit could he/she please move this thread to the Development forum.

***deleted**

Thanks for reading! Feedback is much appreciated, if there are issues I will be glad to listen and see if I can fix them but I make no promises. :silly:

Good work keep it up!

gazou_hb

Jan 24, 2011
besak
I try this with Samsung ROM xxdlib ans cm10 ROM. All application have present.
Your method and file work perfectly.

I thinks that it's better to make a recoevry install for easy method. If it's possible.

Good works.
Sorry for my bad english.

For my request concerning the same method for the contact and messages (SMS) talk me when i test...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

lightning18

Feb 11, 2010
Quezon City
Nice mod! It is worth noting that the script only links the apps (APKs) between ROMs. It does not link the data (databases/preferences) used by these apps.

I'm trying to link the sms messages across ROMs but the db seems to be different between Samsung and CM ROMs. I would like to see what would you do here :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

charsleysa

Nov 17, 2011
Palmerston North
Nice mod! It is worth noting that the script only links the apps (APKs) between ROMs. It does not link the data (databases/preferences) used by these apps.

I'm trying to link the sms messages across ROMs but the db seems to be different between Samsung and CM ROMs. I would like to see what would you do here :)

I just tried linking contacts, sms and calendar and I managed to corrupt my entire 2nd ROM so I don't think it's possible without providing a 3rd app to run in the background. :rolleyes:

drew071

Jul 27, 2010
I love the concept but cannot get this to work. No matter what I do it won't work

Drew071

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

smartvinu

May 24, 2010
India
it is not working... initially the app dir was loaded as /data/app/app tweaked the script to load the app directory ( dataapp ) .. still i am not able to see the apps in the launcher .. .

charsleysa

Nov 17, 2011
Palmerston North
I love the concept but cannot get this to work. No matter what I do it won't work

Drew071

it is not working... initially the app dir was loaded as /data/app/app tweaked the script to load the app directory ( dataapp ) .. still i am not able to see the apps in the launcher .. .

Could you please tell me what ROM's you are using and whether or not they are fresh installs.

dantheman122

Sep 20, 2011
Brisbane
Just tried this with Omega v28 and PA 2.2 as 2nd, didn't work but not a fresh install. I'm swapping then backing up PA to try again now and see if it works.

Edit: Just formatted 2nd rom and reinstalled as per OP's instructions and it worked. So that's the key I guess :) Awesome work OP!!

Last edited:

jayc1980

Feb 27, 2011
Tried this and didn't work, tried numerous times.

1st ROM: Paranoid
2nd ROM: Omega 28 (did a fresh install)

Does not show any of my apps in omega ROM from paranoid ROM.

I did encounter a problem in the terminal stage, on the moving file part its says can not find the file, I have to do it manually.

dantheman122

Sep 20, 2011
Brisbane
Tried this and didn't work, tried numerous times.

1st ROM: Paranoid
2nd ROM: Omega 28 (did a fresh install)

Does not show any of my apps in omega ROM from paranoid ROM.

I did encounter a problem in the terminal stage, on the moving file part its says can not find the file, I have to do it manually.

Perhaps it's related to that? Make sure you put it in the right spot and have the permissions right.

jayc1980

Feb 27, 2011
Its very strange, all else seems fine.

Just that one error, all else is fine. Moved to the location stated but still nothing??

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

If I set the permissions manually what's the correct set up, currently it's:
These parts are ticked -
User: read, write, execute
Group: read, write, execute
Other: execute

dantheman122

Sep 20, 2011
Brisbane
Its very strange, all else seems fine.

Just that one error, all else is fine. Moved to the location stated but still nothing??

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

If I set the permissions manually what's the correct set up, currently it's:
These parts are ticked -
User: read, write, execute
Group: read, write, execute
Other: execute

Yeah the permissions are the same as mine. Hmm bit weird

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!

This is a mod to Siyah's Kernel which allows Dual Booting.
    Currently you are unable to share apps between your two ROM's and to me that is really annoying.
    WELL, after much research and testing I have devised a script to allow sharing of apps between ROM's.
    WARNING: Should only be used on freshly flashed 2nd ROM's otherwise you will lose all your downloaded apps for your 2nd ROM!!!

They way this works is to mount the data from your 1st ROM in your 2nd ROM, then symbolic link the app folder.
    Now for all you people that are going to nag saying it has issues, stop it! If it has issues fix it yourself! I tested this on Omega ROM and ParanoidAndroid and it works fine.

First go through the process of flashing your 2nd ROM. Once that is completely boot into your 1st ROM again and download the attached file and extract its contents to "/data/media" otherwise known as the root of your internal SD Card.
    Once completed, reboot into your 2nd ROM and download/open your Terminal app and type in the following commands
    (lines starting with # are comments so don't type those into your terminal, also hit enter at the end of each line):

Code:
    # Escalate to root (hit grant if a dialog pops up)
    su

# Remount the system so you can write to it
    mount -o rw,remount /system

# Now copy the file from your SD Card to /system/etc/init.d
    cp /data/media/01userinit.sh /system/etc/init.d/01userinit.sh

# Change working directory to /system/etc/init.d
    cd /system/etc/init.d

# Rename the 01userinit.sh to 01userinit
    # If 01 is already used then choose the next lowest number e.g. 01banner so choose 02
    rename 01userinit.sh 01userinit

# Change permissions just to make sure (remember to use your number if you changed the 01 part)
    chmod 771 01userinit

After doing this close the terminal and reboot the phone into the 2nd ROM again. This time it should take a little longer and might say its upgrading a few apps.
    This is largely untested so there is no guarantee it will work.

WARNING!!!! MUST READ THIS WARNING!!!!
    Uninstalling an application from either ROM WILL uninstall it from the other ROM as well!!!
    You are sharing apps directly, no mimics or anything!!!

[DUALBOOT MOD] Shared Apps v2

I got the script to work but I had to modify it extensively follow the op post and use the attached script....

or you can do the following to make it easier...

Install second rom copy extract the attached file and copy it via second or first rom to any folder on internal sd or external sd.

BOOT 2ND ROM
    1. install ES File Explorer
    2. go in the settings all the way in the bottom choose root settings
    3. Enable Root Explorer , Up to Root, Mount File System
    4. copy 01userinit.sh paste it in /system/etc/init.d folder
    5. rename it to 01userinit
    6. change the permission to Read: All Write: User Execute: All
    7. Reboot it may take a while so wait....

I have tried the data share but that was unsuccessful maybe because my 2nd rom is AOSP...

so basically if you wanna share sms and call logs between ROMS just use SMS BACKUP AND RESTORE & CALL LOGS BACKUP AND RESTORE Between ROMS.

they have the option to choose just the missing ones that way you dont have duplicate.....

as for the contacts google automatically takes care of that.....
    I got the script to work but I had to modify it extensively follow the op post and use the attached script....

of you can do the following makes it easier...

Install second rom copy extract the attached file and copy it via second or first rom to any folder on internal sd or external sd.

BOOT 2ND ROM
    1. install ES File Explorer
    2. go in the settings all the way in the bottom choose root settings
    3. Enable Root Explorer , Up to Root, Mount File System
    4. copy 01userinit.sh paste it in /system/etc/init.d folder
    5. rename it to 01userinit
    6. change the permission to Read: All Write: User Execute: All
    7. Reboot it may take a while so wait....

I have tried the data share but that was unsuccessful maybe because my 2nd rom is AOSP...

so basically if you wanna share sms and call logs between ROMS just use SMS BACKUP AND RESTORE & CALL LOGS BACKUP AND RESTORE Between ROMS.

they have the option to choose just the missing ones that way you dont have duplicate.....

as for the contacts google automatically takes care of that.....

Working like charm..
    Op script was not successful for me.but this new script worked for me on miui 2nd rom..

I tried the second version of the script but it didn't work.

1st rom: Omega 4.1.2
    2nd rom: CM 10.1

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

CM 10.1 uses different directories I believe, so it won't work with it unless someone updates it. It's probably not too hard to do but I can't be bothered to, only ever swap to Omega to use the camera occasionally.