[Q] help Debrand S4 mini GT - i9195 with out rooting or custom Rom?

Search This thread

Ianson82

May 21, 2014
Hello all,

I have the Samsung Galaxy s4 mini (GT-i9195) on EE in the UK, I am wanting to know how I debrand the phone with out rooting it or putting a custom Rom on it. (main reason I don't know how to and don't want to mess up)

From what I have seen I just do the following

Unlock the phone. (code from EE), then use Samsung's kies to update the firmware from EE's 4.2.2 to Samsung's 4.4.2 KitKat.

If I get the code from EE, is it just that simple? I enter the code and it unlocks to any network provider, meaning I can use kies to update the firmware and debrand the phone? or am I missing some step's?

Again I do not want to root the phone or put a custom Rom on it as I want to keep the warranty and have OTA updates as well as keeping the 'flash counter to 0'

Thanks for any help you can give me sorry for the n00b questions.

Last edited:

fburgos

Sep 1, 2012
Hi fburgos,

Would that set KNOX to 0x1 if I was to use odin?

First of all is your firmware a Knox?

What's you're firmware version, is in your download mode the word Knox?

To enter in Odin mode or download mode, shut down phone while off press power button and home and volume down at the same time then release power button and wait until a screen appears release and Pres volume up.

If you have Knox you have to flash a rom with same bootloader version or latest

Don't flash anything if you're not sure what you're doing

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Ianson82

Ianson82

May 21, 2014
Hi again fburgos,

what I see when I enter Odin mode or download mode.

Odin Mode
Product Name: GT - i9195
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
Knox Kernel Lock 0x0
Knox Warranty Void: 0x0
CBS-Config-LSB: 0x30
Bootloader ap swrev 1
Write Protection: Enable

Some other information that you may want/need to know.

Android version: 4.2.2
Baseband version: I9195XXUBNB3

Kernal version
3.4.0-2451589
dpi@DELL150 #1
Fri Feb 28 20:11:07 KST 2014

SE for Android status:
Enforcing
SEPF_GT-I9195_4.2.2_0016

Secure boot status:
Type Samsung

When I use Kies (version 2.6.3.14044_14) to see firmware version and update it, I see this:

This is the latest firmware.
Current firmware version: PDA:NB3 / PHONE:NB3 / CSC:NA1 (EVR)
Latest firmware version: PDA:NB3 / PHONE:NB3 / CSC:NA1 (EVR)

Sorry for the late reply I was out all day and didn't get time til now to get back to you, but I would also like to thank you for all the help you have been giving me, Thanks :)

Last edited:

fburgos

Sep 1, 2012
I think to you have to flash a de-branded nb3 firmware, It should not trip knox but I'm not shure about this I've never done it

If i were you I'll root using saferoot then debloat or freeze

Ianson82

May 21, 2014
I think to you have to flash a de-branded nb3 firmware, It should not trip knox but I'm not shure about this I've never done it

Hi again fburgos,

I'll look around of the forums for the 'Saferoot' for the GT-i9195.

Thanks again for all the help you have given me, I have been looking on may forums but with all the information out there it has been nice to ask someone for a stright answer :), thanks again Fburgos.

EDIT: I just tried 'SafeRoot' and got the kernal has been patched message, so sad face for me :S

Last edited:

fburgos

Sep 1, 2012
Hi again fburgos,

Thanks again for all the help you have given me, I have been looking on may forums but with all the information out there it has been nice to ask someone for a stright answer :), thanks again Fburgos.

EDIT: I just tried 'SafeRoot' and got the kernal has been patched message, so sad face for me :S

Have you disabled knox notification? Or freeze/delete knox apps

Mine is rooted using saferoot knox still x0 freezed all bloat including all knox

5ajytu7a.jpg

5ugade7e.jpg

evazenar.jpg

y7utata7.jpg

Ianson82

May 21, 2014

Mine is rooted using saferoot knox still x0 freezed all bloat including all knox

Hi Fburgos,

Like I said, I tried saferoot found on this forum, and it wont let me root my phone as it comes up with "kernal has been patched" im using the GT-i9195, this is the device info again, this time from a screen grab. As you can see we are not using the same firmware,

Screenshot_2014-05-26-03-54-55.png

Last edited:

fburgos

Sep 1, 2012
Was super su installed?

I had problems acquiring root access, had a knox notification, just long pressed the notification an force close, then force closed all knox apps and open supersu disabled knox then freez all knox in titanium backup

Ianson82

May 21, 2014
Was super su installed?

I had problems acquiring root access, had a knox notification, just long pressed the notification an force close, then force closed all knox apps and open supersu disabled knox then freez all knox in titanium backup

Hi Fburgos,

No nothing installed, when I ran the .bat file, it stoped installing as my kernal has been patched so the saferoot wont work on my phone with the buildnumber I have, it looks like I am just going to have to root it and not worry about the Knox problem.

fburgos

Sep 1, 2012
That is bad news, i think you wait until warranty expire, soon the update to kitkat its suposed to come to your device, just wait.

Ianson82

May 21, 2014
That is bad news, i think you wait until warranty expire, soon the update to kitkat its suposed to come to your device, just wait.

Hi fburgos,

Yeah looks like waiting for EE to update to KitKat is the safest way to go, and who knows in 2 years when my contract ends there maybe a saferoot for the S5 mini (when it comes out lol)

thanks again for all the help and advice you have given me, I really do appreciate all of it.

digitalface

Dec 11, 2010
Any update on this? I'm getting an S4 Mini on 3 that I'd like to debrand. Don't want to de-bloat/root/whatever, just flash a debranded ROM. possible?

N0Ntoxic

Apr 29, 2014
Somewhere
Hi, just flash any stock rom you want. If you are from UK there is unbranded BTU kitkat version. Download it from sammobile.com and flash it by Odin. Its only a few simply steps to get it done.

Smiff2

Jan 29, 2011
Hi, just flash any stock rom you want. If you are from UK there is unbranded BTU kitkat version. Download it from sammobile.com and flash it by Odin. Its only a few simply steps to get it done.

I have a Three branded PAYG i9195. I was looking/hoping for a script to remove the carrier customisations such as:
- custom startup logo
- custom lockscreen
- "3" apps
- anything else the've messed with!

is flashing a stock rom the only way?
is there a CWM flashable version of the stock UK 4.4.2 rom please?

edit: i think this is latest stock rom http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/39326/I9195XXUCNK1_I9195BTUCNK1_BTU/
but i can't even see how to download, nor do i have Odin (Linux), and would prefer not to risk flashing it with Heimdall as i alread have CWM.

edit2: this appears to be what we want: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48063831
not sure how to flash modem with Heimdall will need to check that!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash an unbranded firmware with odin

Hi fburgos,

Would that set KNOX to 0x1 if I was to use odin?

First of all is your firmware a Knox?

What's you're firmware version, is in your download mode the word Knox?

To enter in Odin mode or download mode, shut down phone while off press power button and home and volume down at the same time then release power button and wait until a screen appears release and Pres volume up.

If you have Knox you have to flash a rom with same bootloader version or latest

Don't flash anything if you're not sure what you're doing

Hi again fburgos,

5ajytu7a.jpg

5ugade7e.jpg

evazenar.jpg

y7utata7.jpg

Was super su installed?