Sprint black silicon gel skin impressions

Search This thread

catpunt

Apr 25, 2006
I just picked up the black silicone gel skin from the local Sprint store. They have about 4 different cases in stock, aside from this one they have the body glove case, a leather case, and a weird 2-piece plastic snap case 2-pack. Here are my impressions:

1. The fitment is perfect and all cutouts line up perfectly
2. The camera lens is recessed about 1mm from the edge
3. The texture is smooth as opposed to the leathery texture of Sprint Hero silicone skin (and it's thinner than the Hero skin)
4. The edges around the screen recess the screen a little over 1mm so the entire face is protected from a fall onto a flat surface
5. The edges around the screen overlap the screen seams by about .5mm
6. Overall the phone still feels thin and sleek in my opinion
7. As with any silicone skin, it's tough to get in/out of tight pockets

Edit: Photos by review site here: http://goo.gl/F9px

Last edited:

knives of ice

Jul 12, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
i picked up this skin tonight as well. i wish it was more grippy on the back as its so smooth it seems like it will be slippery. well, i have the skin but no evo until the evening tomorrow

notoriouspyro

Nov 29, 2008
i picked up this skin tonight as well. i wish it was more grippy on the back as its so smooth it seems like it will be slippery. well, i have the skin but no evo until the evening tomorrow

I was installing one on a customer's evo today and that was my main concern. Holding it I felt like I was going to drop it. It just felt too slippery. Personally I prefer our Body Glove case for the Evo. It had an over all better texture and I really like the appearance. Once I can finally take my evo home I will definitely be purchasing that case.

aldo37

Jan 7, 2010
I don't think it's too slippery, but the case is too loose imho. It doesn't fit very snug on the phone. Hopefully with some sunlight/use it will shrink.

Saturn2K

May 30, 2010
Pittsburgh

I have mine on now and you're right, the back is kind of smooth. I don't know what wizardry they used, but the edges are grippy as hell. I'm happy with that since I don't think I'll ever pick this phone up by only grabbing the back of case and the display on the phone.

Saturn2K

May 30, 2010
Pittsburgh
Here are two pics of this case. I used my webcam, so I apologize for it looking a bit blue, the bad angle, and the graininess.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 423
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 384

Fixter

Jun 6, 2009
Durham
The Silicone case from Sprint is fantastic. Thought the 24 bucks one seemed kinda nice.

Impulses

May 19, 2010
Guaynabo
I don't think it's too slippery, but the case is too loose imho. It doesn't fit very snug on the phone. Hopefully with some sunlight/use it will shrink.

My experience w/silicon cases in the past (Belkin ones on an iPod touch) has been the opposite, they either stay exactly the same or they loosen up and get floppier... Those that are multi-color tend to lose some of the dye over time too, around the edges. They do look cooler when they're new tho...

I think I'll get the black one from Sprint and I'll probably order that Amzer Argyle case when it's finally shipping... It's a different kinda rubber, seems stiffer than the silicon stuff but still flexible enough that you just slip the phone into it by stretching it (unlike any of the plastic cases), seems smoother too so it might be popular w/those that dislike the effect of the silicon skins on pockets. From what I've read on the reviews for the same type of case made for other phone models, it's actually a bit translucent and the argyle pattern doesn't stand out as much as it does in the photo. There's a Blackberry Amazon review that describes the material it's made of pretty well.

That Body Glove case might be grippy or rubbery on the back but it's still a plastic frame 2-piece case btw, there's one or two other threads on it. Probably slightly bulkier than the silicon ones.

Last edited:

CoolGui

Nov 22, 2006
Houston
I got the black one and the raspberry (hot pink) one for my wife. I did notice the case kind of put a small shadow on the front camera picture. I nipped off about 1/8" from it and it works fine now. Hope it doesn't cause it to come out easier now.