[UNOFFICIAL][20191230] LineageOS 17.0 for UMIDIGI F1 [Android 10]

Search This thread

PeterCxy

Jul 15, 2013
Introduction

This is my port of LineageOS 17.0 for the UMIDIGI F1, with things mostly working as they are expected to. This ROM depends on the official vendor image, so please be sure you are on the latest official build before flashing this ROM onto your device. Also, since these MTK devices often come with some strange variants, please be aware that your lineage may vary.

Known Bugs

- VoLTE does not work (and probably won't work on any MTK device with custom ROMs any time soon) due to MTK's proprietary extensions.
- (Fixed since 20191230) Sometimes data connection can be randomly lost during reconnections. This can be fixed by either a reboot or `pkill phone` in a root shell (terminal).

Flashing Instructions

1. You MUST flash my TWRP port available here before trying to install the ROM
2. Reboot into TWRP, wipe data (no format needed), then install the ROM zip
3. Install anything else you would like (Magisk, OpenGAPPs, etc. OpenGAPPS beta for Android 10: https://sourceforge.net/projects/opengapps/files/arm64/beta/)
4. Reboot into system and enjoy.

Downloads

20191230-1: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261687930

20191105-1: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261619909

Source code

Device tree available at https://github.com/PeterCxy/android_device_umidigi_F1
Kernel source code is not available from UMIDIGI, unfortunately.

Screenshots (with OpenGAPPS beta)

ix-G.png

cnSH.png

Last edited:

Lolithetrolli

Apr 13, 2018
What do you mean by "This ROM depends on the official vendor image" Do I need to flash the latest firmware from Umidigi, then flash Lineage?

Reactions: Oblias

PeterCxy

Jul 15, 2013
What do you mean by "This ROM depends on the official vendor image" Do I need to flash the latest firmware from Umidigi, then flash Lineage?

Actually I don't think there is much change in umidigi's firmware so you are probably fine with pretty much any vendor image. I am on the September vendor image which shows as 20190724

Reactions: Lolithetrolli

Lolithetrolli

Apr 13, 2018
While I enjoy your effort for the port it's really rough around the edges. Settings randomly crash, NFC randomly crashes, there's no difference between default dark mode and black dark mode, it lacks accents other than default, after enabling developer settings numbers appear on the left hand side of the status bar, and GAPPS doesn't even have android 10 available yet. Again, thanks for the port, but it's not for me.

PeterCxy

Jul 15, 2013
While I enjoy your effort for the port it's really rough around the edges. Settings randomly crash, NFC randomly crashes, there's no difference between default dark mode and black dark mode, it lacks accents other than default, after enabling developer settings numbers appear on the left hand side of the status bar, and GAPPS doesn't even have android 10 available yet. Again, thanks for the port, but it's not for me.

Somehow I'm using it without any random crashes... Are you sure you have tested on the latest firmwares from umidigi? And are you sure you have wiped data properly? If those crashes only happen for you and not for me, then without logs it's simply impossible for me to fix anything.

And OpenGAPPS has beta version for Android 10, check it out at https://sourceforge.net/projects/opengapps/files/arm64/beta/

On the accent color thing, please wait until LineageOS 17 ports every feature over. For now having most things working is the primary focus.

Last edited:

SnapTheRipper

Nov 11, 2018
Thanks for bringing a new life to an already awesome device! I was thinking on changing device due to lack of support, but now I'm surely sticking around! I have a couple of questions tho:

- Is it possible to add tweaks to this kernel? Like 2DTW, F2FS and maybe some more performance/battery gains? Or maybe upgrade it, like to 4.9?
- What about performance in games and/or more demanding tasks? I noticed this on all the GSI's that I tried, because they weren't optimized for the device, and it got hot easily.

Thanks once again for making this dream a reality! I Will test this along with your recovery when I can! Cheers!

mrmazak

Jun 16, 2013
Blu Vivo XL
BLU R1 HD
Thanks for bringing a new life to an already awesome device! I was thinking on changing device due to lack of support, but now I'm surely sticking around! I have a couple of questions tho:

- Is it possible to add tweaks to this kernel? Like 2DTW, F2FS and maybe some more performance/battery gains? Or maybe upgrade it, like to 4.9?
- What about performance in games and/or more demanding tasks? I noticed this on all the GSI's that I tried, because they weren't optimized for the device, and it got hot easily.

Thanks once again for making this dream a reality! I Will test this along with your recovery when I can! Cheers!

This seems to be built with stock kernel. As there is no kernel source released, the addition to kernel mods is not currently available.

PeterCxy

Jul 15, 2013

It is not technically impossible, but it would require a LOT of effort to reverse-engineer an entire kernel by piecing together open-source components from other manufacturers, and many of these vendors using MTK SoCs do not have open-source kernel just like Umidigi, though it's technically illegal to do so. I'm definitely not going to do this any time soon.

SnapTheRipper

Nov 11, 2018
It is not technically impossible, but it would require a LOT of effort to reverse-engineer an entire kernel by piecing together open-source components from other manufacturers, and many of these vendors using MTK SoCs do not have open-source kernel just like Umidigi, though it's technically illegal to do so. I'm definitely not going to do this any time soon.

Now I'm lost ? don't get me wrong, I didn't started yet to develop, but if Umidigi has an "open source" kernel, could it be decompiled somehow from the stock firmware?

Reactions: choollaly

PeterCxy

Jul 15, 2013
Now I'm lost ? don't get me wrong, I didn't started yet to develop, but if Umidigi has an "open source" kernel, could it be decompiled somehow from the stock firmware?

Linux being open-source doesn't mean any modification to it is easily reverse-engineerable. There is no such thing as "decompilation", only reverse-engineering, which is exactly what I referred to as "not totally impossible". However, if you hope someone to devote an enormous amount of effort just to "decompile" a kernel, you'd better off just sue the manufacturer for kernel source code (they are legally bound to do so by using the Linux kernel). It's far more plausible.

SnapTheRipper

Nov 11, 2018
Linux being open-source doesn't mean any modification to it is easily reverse-engineerable. There is no such thing as "decompilation", only reverse-engineering, which is exactly what I referred to as "not totally impossible". However, if you hope someone to devote an enormous amount of effort just to "decompile" a kernel, you'd better off just sue the manufacturer for kernel source code (they are legally bound to do so by using the Linux kernel). It's far more plausible.

Anyway

I tried the exact same steps but ended up in a splash screen loop. Any idea how to fix this (or how to grab a log of this, if needed)?

hyibin

Apr 18, 2011
No service on two of the sim card. Phone shows carrier, but no network.

Edited: Never mind. Start from fresh umidigi system, and all good.

Last edited:

Shadow Of Leaf

Jul 28, 2014
Casablanca
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
test on Umidigi F1 Play

I make Kernel Changes to make your rom work on umidigi f1 play and it booted but a lot of issues :
- sim card doesnt recognize in second reboot
- A lot of NFC Force closes
- Sound is deteriorated (i Think it because the besloudness in the stock rom)
- Rom has a lot of features that not working (example percentage of battery is not showed after i enable it)

this just a report of 15 minutes testing roms

Last edited:
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction

This is my port of LineageOS 17.0 for the UMIDIGI F1, with things mostly working as they are expected to. This ROM depends on the official vendor image, so please be sure you are on the latest official build before flashing this ROM onto your device. Also, since these MTK devices often come with some strange variants, please be aware that your lineage may vary.

Known Bugs

- VoLTE does not work (and probably won't work on any MTK device with custom ROMs any time soon) due to MTK's proprietary extensions.
    - (Fixed since 20191230) Sometimes data connection can be randomly lost during reconnections. This can be fixed by either a reboot or `pkill phone` in a root shell (terminal).

Flashing Instructions

1. You MUST flash my TWRP port available here before trying to install the ROM
    2. Reboot into TWRP, wipe data (no format needed), then install the ROM zip
    3. Install anything else you would like (Magisk, OpenGAPPs, etc. OpenGAPPS beta for Android 10: https://sourceforge.net/projects/opengapps/files/arm64/beta/)
    4. Reboot into system and enjoy.

Downloads

20191230-1: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261687930

20191105-1: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261619909

Source code

Device tree available at https://github.com/PeterCxy/android_device_umidigi_F1
    Kernel source code is not available from UMIDIGI, unfortunately.

Screenshots (with OpenGAPPS beta)

ix-G.png

cnSH.png
    Android 11 for umidigi F1

Made google backup »»» unlocked bootloader
    flashed with smart phone flash tool in 1 time :
    1 > preloader
    2 > TWRP recovery to make backup later
    3 > system > lineage-18.0-20201017-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img

Reboot phone, setting wifi, updates google play, restore backup google play, give usb debugging for transfer files.
    checked gps, phone, music, wifi and many more. This is the last OS to test and I will keep this.
    for stability an security everything looks good and works perfect. I will not change anymore.
    Last test is battery and how it will connect in different places.

when i started fresh, rom asked everything and put back my google backup. Love this rom.

Actually I don't think there is much change in umidigi's firmware so you are probably fine with pretty much any vendor image. I am on the September vendor image which shows as 20190724