[KERNEL] [2012-01-12] V2.0 FM Kernel based on 2.6.35.14 [Beta]

Search This thread

RiverSource

Sep 22, 2010
Hello,

I want to publish the first public beta of my Kernel. It is based on 2.6.35.14 and should reduce the Android OS Battery usage. The Kernel is based on CF Root Kernel.

As always: You are responsible for your phone. Don't blame me, if something goes wrong and you loose the photos from grandmas birthday or brick your phone. I have warned you! The Kernel is in very early stage and has been tested only by me so far.

Features:
  • Root
  • CWM5
  • Compatible to Chainfires CWM App
  • Reduced Debugging and Logging
  • Interactive Governor enabled (but not set as default. Use SetCPU).

NEW Version 1.2:
- Based on KJ6 Sources
- optimized compiler flags
- bug fixing

NEW Version 1.3:
- OC/UV Support (100 - 1700 MHz, SetCPU and Voltage Control)
- additional governors (ondemand, ondemandx, interactive, interactivex, smartass, smartassv2, performance, powersave, conservative, Lagfree, Lazy, Savagedzen, Lulzactive)
- Tegrak 2nd core Support
- I/O schedulers: BFQv3, SIO, CFQ, deadline, VR, noop
- some tweaks and bugfixes

NEW Version 1.3.1:
- Removed some Optimizations in order to fix the Camera Bug

NEW Version 1.4:
- added 50 MHz
- Fixed Bug which caused removal of CWM Manager
- EFS Backup reworked
- intellidemand govenor added
- added Version Number in Version String
- Fixed Camera Bug finally
- Deactivated GPU Undervolting
- Some tweaks added again, which were removed for 1.3.1

NEW Version 1.5:
- Optimizations in Schedulers and Governors
- Maybe Bluetooth Streaming Bugfix

NEW Version 1.6:
- Voodoo Louder support
- Optimized schedulers
- new MALI drivers
- more logging and debugging (due to voodoo louder)

NEW Version 2.0:
- complete reworked cpufreq (incl. Abyss Smooth Scaling support), no more 50 MHz support
- Lulzactive V2 inkl. Tegrak support
- xz compression
- optimized configuration
- tun, ntfs, fuse support
- amazing performance improvement

The configuration is more or less Samsung Stock (except debugging, logging and the governor). Maybe I will optimize it in the future. The CWM App from Chainfire is not included, but should work on this kernel. I suggest to first flash a CF Kernel in order to root your phone and get the CWM App. After that you can flash this kernel. I recommend the CWM Manager App for flashing activities.

Please report bugs. I had a problem with endless USB Port Suspend / Resume cycles during testing, which caused the phone not to enter the deep sleep. Maybe the reason were to optimistic compiler options (it did not occur in the last 24 hours).

I would also appreciate, if you compare battery lifetime with Stock kernel. The battery statistic tells, the Android OS Usage is reduced, but results this really in a longer battery lifetime? Please observe and report.

For the Developers: The Sourcecode.
https://github.com/riversource/Galaxy-Note-Kernel

Attachments

• FM-Note-Kernel.tar
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,577
  • FM-Note-Kernel_V1.2.tar
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,813
  • FM-Note-Kernel_V1.3.tar
    5.3 MB · Views: 1,341
  • FM-Note-Kernel_V1.3.1.tar
    5.3 MB · Views: 3,078
  • FM-Note-Kernel_V1.4.tar
    5.3 MB · Views: 4,383
  • FM-Note-Kernel_V1.5.tar
    6.6 MB · Views: 21,872
  • FM-Note-Kernel_V1.6.tar
    6.6 MB · Views: 3,506
  • FM-Note-Kernel_V2.0.tar
    5.2 MB · Views: 24,390
Last edited:

LaroCroft

Apr 29, 2007
Seems logcat is not working any more.

adb logcat results in:
Unable to open log device '/dev/log/main': No such file or directory

Also no logcat tracing on the device

Reactions: Arasl-l

RiverSource

Sep 22, 2010
As I said: Reduced Logging.

Copy the following script to /system/etc/init.d/01log:
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

insmod /lib/modules/logger.ko
Then reboot.

Reactions: initiale449

spline1

Nov 20, 2009
everything is working

deep sleep works
usb works

could not find anything negative

myZeL

Oct 31, 2011
Flashing was successful. Everything is working stable. I'll be watching battery usage!

LaroCroft

Apr 29, 2007
Another problem I found:

I customized to files in /system/usr/keychars and /system/usr/keylayout to match german keyboard layout.

Seems the system is now only using the .kl file in /system/usr/keychars but not the compiled .kcm.bin file in keylayout folder.

Any idea?

spekesel

May 19, 2008
Flashed without issue. So far after having it on for a few hours it seems like the Android OS (and the suspend event/0 processes going nuts) has stopped and the idle power drain is much less.

So, success. Otherwise for me its stable and all normal.

Very pleased.

thelestat

Nov 2, 2008
Android os usage has dropped from 60% on average to 9%. Looks greatvso far. No issues to report.

Good job :-D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

sman55

Apr 19, 2008
Wilmslow
How do you install this Do I extract it to a zimage file and then load it with cwm? which option on cwm do I use....or am I just totally wrong?

Thanks

thelestat

Nov 2, 2008
Your opinion is that this is BLOWING in terms of battery life?
Hmm, stay tuned!

It is starting to look that way. I had really high android os usage thqt drained the bat in 6hrs with only a moderate load.

If the bat drain was all the aos with such a big drop in the percentage aos uses, i should see a corresponding increase in bat life.

I'll monitor it and report back on anything interesting.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

sibere

Retired Recognized Developer
May 14, 2006
Paris
The way I understand the AOS usage is that it represents % of battery drain.

Say you charge your phone to 100 and start using it non stop for 2 Hrs.
The main drain will be screen cpu and maybe network or the app you are using.
In that case, AOS will be almost nothing, like 5%. But your battery will have dropped to , say, 70%
Now charge your phone again, and leave it on standby for as many hours requested to get 70% of battery left. This would need many hours.
Obvioulsy, because you did nothing with the phone, the main drain there is the OS itself!

So to compare the old and the new kernel, they have to be tested the same way.

Say start with a full charge before going to bed and set an alarm in 8hrs after you unplug the phone.
Leave the phone on standby for 8Hrs and check the AOS usage after those 8Hrs.
Next night, repeat the process with the new kernel and see if there is any difference.

tamarian

Jan 19, 2010
Huawei Mate 20 X
Huawei Mate X2
Looking good so far. I noticed that BetterBatteryStats wake lock stats now give me "Event Log Service" as the highest wakelock, 6 minutes in 6 hours. Is this due to disabling logs, and should we freeze that service so it would stop trying to log?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I want to publish the first public beta of my Kernel. It is based on 2.6.35.14 and should reduce the Android OS Battery usage. The Kernel is based on CF Root Kernel.

As always: You are responsible for your phone. Don't blame me, if something goes wrong and you loose the photos from grandmas birthday or brick your phone. I have warned you! The Kernel is in very early stage and has been tested only by me so far.

Features:
    • Root
    • CWM5
    • Compatible to Chainfires CWM App
    • Reduced Debugging and Logging
    • Interactive Governor enabled (but not set as default. Use SetCPU).

NEW Version 1.2:
    - Based on KJ6 Sources
    - optimized compiler flags
    - bug fixing

NEW Version 1.3:
    - OC/UV Support (100 - 1700 MHz, SetCPU and Voltage Control)
    - additional governors (ondemand, ondemandx, interactive, interactivex, smartass, smartassv2, performance, powersave, conservative, Lagfree, Lazy, Savagedzen, Lulzactive)
    - Tegrak 2nd core Support
    - I/O schedulers: BFQv3, SIO, CFQ, deadline, VR, noop
    - some tweaks and bugfixes

NEW Version 1.3.1:
    - Removed some Optimizations in order to fix the Camera Bug

NEW Version 1.4:
    - added 50 MHz
    - Fixed Bug which caused removal of CWM Manager
    - EFS Backup reworked
    - intellidemand govenor added
    - added Version Number in Version String
    - Fixed Camera Bug finally
    - Deactivated GPU Undervolting
    - Some tweaks added again, which were removed for 1.3.1

NEW Version 1.5:
    - Optimizations in Schedulers and Governors
    - Maybe Bluetooth Streaming Bugfix

NEW Version 1.6:
    - Voodoo Louder support
    - Optimized schedulers
    - new MALI drivers
    - more logging and debugging (due to voodoo louder)

NEW Version 2.0:
    - complete reworked cpufreq (incl. Abyss Smooth Scaling support), no more 50 MHz support
    - Lulzactive V2 inkl. Tegrak support
    - xz compression
    - optimized configuration
    - tun, ntfs, fuse support
    - amazing performance improvement

The configuration is more or less Samsung Stock (except debugging, logging and the governor). Maybe I will optimize it in the future. The CWM App from Chainfire is not included, but should work on this kernel. I suggest to first flash a CF Kernel in order to root your phone and get the CWM App. After that you can flash this kernel. I recommend the CWM Manager App for flashing activities.

Please report bugs. I had a problem with endless USB Port Suspend / Resume cycles during testing, which caused the phone not to enter the deep sleep. Maybe the reason were to optimistic compiler options (it did not occur in the last 24 hours).

I would also appreciate, if you compare battery lifetime with Stock kernel. The battery statistic tells, the Android OS Usage is reduced, but results this really in a longer battery lifetime? Please observe and report.

For the Developers: The Sourcecode.
    https://github.com/riversource/Galaxy-Note-Kernel
    V2.0 online in first post.
    Hello,

I want to publish the first public beta of my Kernel. It is based on 2.6.35.14 and should reduce the Android OS Battery usage.
    It does not reduce Android OS battery usage at all - 2.6.35.12 only hides it.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kern...it;h=a3fe22ee824895aafdc1b788e19c081a2e6dd9da is the one that makes Android OS battery usage disappear from Settings->About->Battery Usage (How do I know? git bisect is your friend!)

As you can see, that is only an accounting/reporting patch - it doesn't change the amount of time spent in interrupt handlers during suspend/resume at all, nor does it affect the amount of battery used during suspend/resume.

Best example, one can cause frequent resume/suspend cycles which shoot AOS through the roof as follows from a Linux machine:
    Code:
    ping -i 5 <wifi ip address of the device>
    You will see that whether you are on .7 or .14, battery drain will be the same, but the percentage of AOS usage reported will be MUCH lower on 2.6.35.12 and above.

Edit: Also, as far as implementing 100 MHz and 50 MHz, I strongly suggest you read section 6 of the paper on idle states (clock/power gating) that Ezekeel links here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1431105&page=9
    V1.4 is online in first post.
    Read this sticky for very good explanations on most if not all governors and schedulers.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1369817