[DEVS ONLY] Nexus 4 camera recording v0.2 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (60FPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AdamUpNorth

Apr 29, 2010
Question....

In doing research on the differences between AVC medium and high profiles, it appears that HP is preferred because of higher bitrates (max 25 vs 20), better compression ratios and better algorithms (i.e. stuff don't understand like 8×8 vs. 4×4 transform adaptivity and Quantization scaling matrices).

Having little experience in comparing MP and HP my question is should we expect a significant increase in video quality by switching to HP on the N4?

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4) (kernel)

Question....

In doing research on the differences between AVC medium and high profiles, it appears that HP is preferred because of higher bitrates (max 25 vs 20), better compression ratios and better algorithms (i.e. stuff don't understand like 8×8 vs. 4×4 transform adaptivity and Quantization scaling matrices).

Having little experience in comparing MP and HP my question is should we expect a significant increase in video quality by switching to HP on the N4?

It will make a difference noticeable to the eye

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Pheno.menon

Aug 24, 2010
San Jose
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)

Is it possible to improve picture quality on the camera? I'm not very happy with mine.

Transmission sent from my badass Nexus 4.

Reactions: digweed4me

wtfshouldidonow

Dec 21, 2011
Quezon City
Re: Nexus 4 camera recording(AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests)

And can instant HDR pictures be achieved anytime soon?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Crisisx1

May 8, 2011
Orlando, FL

60 fps no way

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

KCRic

Aug 4, 2010
Overland Park

Question....

Not sure about some of it but I can tell you that the higher bit rate helps with limiting the grainy video you see at times. 25Mbps is really about all you need at 1080p, any higher only makes for large files but no better quality.

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video. This isn't a high action game. Even the cinema standard is 24fps. Besides our hardware caps at 30. Just like most other phones. Drop to 30 again - the software drops frames anyway so you'd need to record Bruce Lee fighting to test and see if we can hit 60fps at all.

The source would be great since the media encoding is embedded in the kernel it seems. Not in the .apk like the "old" days. Maybe see if we can get the audio sampling up to 192 or 320, instead of the lackluster 96 (seriously Google, wtf...)

Lastly, there should be options for the FFC. What can we for for that?

Logi_Ca1

Jun 29, 2011
Not sure about some of it but I can tell you that the higher bit rate helps with limiting the grainy video you see at times. 25Mbps is really about all you need at 1080p, any higher only makes for large files but no better quality.

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video. This isn't a high action game. Even the cinema standard is 24fps. Besides our hardware caps at 30. Just like most other phones. Drop to 30 again - the software drops frames anyway so you'd need to record Bruce Lee fighting to test and see if we can hit 60fps at all.

The source would be great since the media encoding is embedded in the kernel it seems. Not in the .apk like the "old" days. Maybe see if we can get the audio sampling up to 192 or 320, instead of the lackluster 96 (seriously Google, wtf...)

60fps is a matter of opinion. Personally I deinterlace all my 30i media to 60p, and it looks great. 24fps (or rather, 23.976fps) in cinema is just a matter of tradition, rather than any technical superiority. We might see this trend changing soon with The Hobbit being recorded at 48fps.

Anyway, the Padfone 2 with the same APQ8064 is capable of 720p at 60fps, so unless the hardware limitation you are talking about is with the camera module, the hardware encoder in the APQ8064 should be capable of 720p 60fps recording.

Reactions: gie62001

ChongoDroid

Jul 29, 2010
Vancouver
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL

Agreed^^

60fps works be very handy on a phone.. since I'm not recording a feature length film lol

Sports, action, tons of stuff could benefit.

Hell 60fps slow motion would be bad ass!

Reactions: wolsty7

header2k

60fps is a matter of opinion. Personally I deinterlace all my 30i media to 60p, and it looks great. 24fps (or rather, 23.976fps) in cinema is just a matter of tradition, rather than any technical superiority. We might see this trend changing soon with The Hobbit being recorded at 48fps.

Anyway, the Padfone 2 with the same APQ8064 is capable of 720p at 60fps, so unless the hardware limitation you are talking about is with the camera module, the hardware encoder in the APQ8064 should be capable of 720p 60fps recording.

The xiaomi mi2 can record 720p 90fps and it has the apq8064. The camera module may not be capable of more fps, the processor is good enough. But I didn't find anything about it in the internet.

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

At work so Ill sit back and patiently wait for you guys final decision, until then v0.2 is on hold

IAmAN00bie

Dec 2, 2010
720p video @ 60fps would be amazing. That plus higher bitrates and AVC high profile would finally make the video recording worthwhile. I sincerely hope you figure this out, OP!

Girn

Dec 20, 2009

HDR video HDR video HDR video. I would give you money if you got that working :)

eRajesh

Jul 15, 2010
Kolkata
So umm is AVC High profile Level 4 confirmed? What is the current bitrate? 1080p@60FPS might be too much, but 720p@60FPS is possible.

Besides, we should look into improving the image and video quality instead of just bumping the FPS.

calyxim

May 31, 2011
London

60fps? Negative. Honestly we can all get into a long debate over it but I'll save you the trouble - its dumb. No need for it in video.

So the phones should not be designed to shoot your nephew's football match.
I'll tell him to play chess then. Less blurry memories...

End of sarcasm time.

You Sir are as dumb as Sarah Palin. If not more.
Should your kind disappeared, no one would have ever noticed it.

Reactions: gie62001

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
Is it possible to improve picture quality on the camera? I'm not very happy with mine.

I think yes but I'm not promising anything

Any chances, we get in touch with the source?

yes very soon I hope as soon as I finish the 60fps and few other things, thing is I've hacked it to the point even if you choose another level or profile it wont change only the high profile level 4 is selected need to work on it abit more

Very interesting question something I'll need to look into in my spare time

60 fps no way

Yes way! lol

Dont worry you'll be able to limit the fps or atleast I'm hoping to do that so if its not your kinda thing then you can stick to your 30fps ;)

Thank you for the info

720p video @ 60fps would be amazing. That plus higher bitrates and AVC high profile would finally make the video recording worthwhile. I sincerely hope you figure this out, OP!

Wait for v0.2

HDR video HDR video HDR video. I would give you money if you got that working :)

Ive been thinking about that feature if i had full net access on my computer i wouldve already done a custom build, i have already done custom binarys built but didnt release that was months ago lkl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi releasing a quick kernel to test the camera quality
    Compiled for Android jellybean 4.2.1 & 4.2.2
    Ive tested it needs more modified but ive activated high profile & level.

For testing the boot.img boot in fasboot mode in terminal via fastboot boot boot.img

Test and post results thank you

Log outputs this
    OMXCodec: [OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc] AVC profile = 100 (High), level = 51, ive changed kernel and set the level to 4 for now.
    High profile avc h.264 has been achieved along with changing of profile level upto 5.1.
    Now my focus/attention is on FPS attempting to achieve 60FPS recording

This is a quick kernel based off motleys for testing purposes on camera quality so thank you motley! :D

Downloads & Changelog in post#2

I think yes but I'm not promising anything

Any chances, we get in touch with the source?

yes very soon I hope as soon as I finish the 60fps and few other things, thing is I've hacked it to the point even if you choose another level or profile it wont change only the high profile level 4 is selected need to work on it abit more

Very interesting question something I'll need to look into in my spare time

60 fps no way

Yes way! lol

Dont worry you'll be able to limit the fps or atleast I'm hoping to do that so if its not your kinda thing then you can stick to your 30fps ;)

Thank you for the info

Wait for v0.2

Ive been thinking about that feature if i had full net access on my computer i wouldve already done a custom build, i have already done custom binarys built but didnt release that was months ago lkl

^^ Why attack other members like that, no need for it. Just disagree with an argument, makes you cooler..
    OK. Here's my stab at a comparison video.

Two videos. Both are split screen with the main profile on one half and high profile on the other. It's the same footage for both, just reversed sides so you can compare.

I edited the XML file so the bitrate is 20mbps. The footage is all 1080p30. All low light which I think is good because you can see the compression artifacts more.
    To keep the timing right I had to clip the footage in places. It may appear that there's skipping but those are just my cuts.
    Ignore the colour difference...that was just me accidentally picking the wrong white balance before I recorded.

You can really tell on the shot of the car with the green seat where the compression artifacts are much more visible on the main profile.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Edit: It's hard to see on you tube because of the recompression. It's much clearer on the original footage that the high is better. To help, crank the res to 1080p in youtube and then full screen it

http://youtu.be/WnF1-XXWaww

http://youtu.be/mjz9MTM13qY
    Re: Nexus 4 camera recording v0.1 (AVC high profile & LEVEL 4 achieved!) (60FPS tests

Have some time later this week to work on it yay! Did have a look at the mi2 or whatever that other phones called for 60fps, not sure where and why they claim 60fps? Can clearly see stuttering in videos and checked everything unable to find anything on 60fps on that device, so not sure if its encoding @ 60fps, other than that did a few tests which resulted in camera FC