Nook Glowlight 3

Search This thread

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
B&N just announced a new eInk device called the Glowlight 3. You can see it on the B&N website. It's a 6 in. reader with what look like wide bezels. No waterproofing, but the display has a "Night Mode". I can't find out if the 3 runs Android or something else.

Does anyone else have any info on this? It's due to ship on November 8.

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
Follow-Up

B&N just announced a new eInk device called the Glowlight 3. You can see it on the B&N website. It's a 6 in. reader with what look like wide bezels. No waterproofing, but the display has a "Night Mode". I can't find out if the 3 runs Android or something else.

Does anyone else have any info on this? It's due to ship on November 8.

I emailed B&N, asking them about this device's OS. Here is their reply, for those who are interested:

Please be advised that the new NOOK Glowlight 3 has an operating system of Android 4.4.2 (KitKat). Also, please be informed that it does NOT run other Android applications or work with Google Play Store.

Edit: Those of you who have the Glowlight Plus know that apps can be installed on it. So I'm guessing that a way can be found to install apps on the Glowlight 3.

I asked the folks at the nearest B&N store to reserve one for me when it arrives. Once I get it, I'll see if I can install a launcher and some apps by adb. I'll let you know if it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Veidos1

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
I now have a Glowlight 3. It looks very much like an upgraded NST, maybe slightly larger due to the size of the bezels. However, it feels very light, and it's a pleasure to hold. The folks at the B&N store tell me that covers will be available in two weeks or so.

The 3 has a total of 8 gb of internal storage. However, after my 3 updated, I saw, in Storage, two partitions listed: one for Nook store content ( about 4.5 gb) and one for sideloaded books (about 0.95 gb). When I plugged the 3 into my Mac, I saw a Nook drive of about 1 gb. That was it. So, sideloading is limited.

By tapping on the Nook icon in Settings-About a number of times, a menu comes up that includes developer options. One can enable USB debugging there. However, when I started Terminal, connected my 3 to my laptop, and typed "adb devices", Terminal saw the device, but also came up with "unauthorized". After some attempts at turning usb debugging off and on again, and trying to deauthorize my computer and reauthorize it, I finally got authorization. Then, one can simply type "adb install .." followed by an apk, from Terminal, and install apps. Install a launcher first, so you can find app icons. I did not try rooting the 3. I just wanted to see if apps can be installed. The 3 is not designed to run apps, so if you go this route, stick with apps that focus on reading and do not make many demands on the hardware.

As a reader, the 3 does a good job. There are two buttons on either side of the display, so you can turn a page back or forward from either side. Text is clear, as you'd expect. There are several font options, and all the common customization choices. There is a slight hesitation from a button click to a page turn. Clicking the buttons makes a sound - for those who care. The display is recessed from the bezel, rather than flush. You can't put a microSD card into the 3.

Feel free to ask questions, if you wish. I'll post more as I learn more about the device.

spedinfargo

Jul 11, 2011
Just got mine as well - SO love the fact that it's so easy to turn on developer mode and install apps - thanks for the confirmation. My needs are few: Calibre Companion, dropsync, web browser. I don't really need root either - I've been down the road of trying to push an ereader to its limits - I end up screwing around with the tech more than just reading. I'll also report back if I have any problems with any particular apps or if anyone wants me to try something out.

As far as reading, I can tell already that this is going to be a superior device than the Nook Glowlight Plus - that thing was slippery, weighted funny, the single non-physical button was frustrating as all get out. This really is the classic form factor of my all-time favorite Nook. I love the fact that I can turn the light on and off by long-pressing the N button again! And while I had long-since gotten used to not having physical page turn buttons, it is nice to have that option again - it might help with being able to navigate around other apps (rather Button Savior). The only small downside that I can see to there is no water-resistance - but that's not really important to me, esp. compared to the other upsides gained with this model.

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
I went down the root road with the Glowlight Plus, trying to get Play Store to work - and losing root at every system update. It wasn't worth the bother. A few apps, like you say, and I'm good to go.

It used to be that Calibre Companion didn't work for long if Play Store was not installed on a device, as CC would "phone home" to make sure we were legit owners. Has that changed? I didn't install CC on the Glowlight 3 for that reason.

spedinfargo

Jul 11, 2011
It used to be that Calibre Companion didn't work for long if Play Store was not installed on a device, as CC would "phone home" to make sure we were legit owners. Has that changed? I didn't install CC on the Glowlight 3 for that reason.

I can't remember how I installed it (or what version) - I'm pretty sure it was a side-loaded APK, though, and it worked for me through the life of the Glowlight Plus without any problems. I do know that I purchased it, but I can't remember how the copy-protection worked.

RyogoNA

Jul 13, 2010
I would be very grateful if anyone could post hw info. I'm mostly interested in cpu and screen, and RAM.

spedinfargo

Jul 11, 2011
I would be very grateful if anyone could post hw info. I'm mostly interested in cpu and screen, and RAM.

Wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Nook_GlowLight_3

Ram: 512? When I go to ReLaunch it shows Total: 460M / Free: 147M which I assume would be half a gig... (?)

Screen info (is this pretty much the same as the Glowlight Plus?):
Screen: 6" 300-dpi screen with built-in glare- scratch- and fingerprint-resistant lens provides a paper-like reading experience.
Resolution: 1072 x 1448 pixels
Is this helpful at all? cat /proc/cpuinfo:

Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 1988.29
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 10

Hardware : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite NTX Board
Revision : 60200​

Last edited:

RyogoNA

Jul 13, 2010
Ram: 512? When I go to ReLaunch it shows Total: 460M / Free: 147M which I assume would be half a gig... (?)

too bad, I was hoping they upgraded it to 1gb.

Wiki page: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Nook_GlowLight_3
Screen: 6" 300-dpi screen with built-in glare- scratch- and fingerprint-resistant lens provides a paper-like reading experience.
Resolution: 1072 x 1448 pixels

cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/xwi please, if possible.

Hardware : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite NTX Board

oh... I was hoping for i.MX7. Well, not too bad still.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
anyone brave enough to pop theirs open and see if there is a UART possibility or not?
Of course!

It pops easily. Use a thin knifeblade to get it started then work a guitar pick around.
The TTY is easy and obvious, 3.3V, 115200 8N1.
Code:
root@ntx_6sl:/ #

Attachments

• glow3a.jpg
    glow3a.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 954
Last edited:

spedinfargo

Jul 11, 2011

The APK that I had for CC didn't work with the newer version of Calibre content server so I did a little digging. Turns out that they fully support sideloading of Calibre Companion now!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273880&highlight=nook
The requirement for Google Play (GP) was removed in February of this year, in CC version 4.3.4.4. If a device has GP then GP must work. If a device doesn't have GP then CC deals with it.

Windsor1959

Apr 27, 2011
The APK that I had for CC didn't work with the newer version of Calibre content server so I did a little digging. Turns out that they fully support sideloading of Calibre Companion now!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273880&highlight=nook
The requirement for Google Play (GP) was removed in February of this year, in CC version 4.3.4.4. If a device has GP then GP must work. If a device doesn't have GP then CC deals with it.

Thanks! I installed CC on my G-3 and it works fine. I appreciate the update.

Also, nice to see some more activity in the thread! Its starting to look like the old Glowlight Plus thread!

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Well, I'm setting my old Glow Plus alongside the Glow 3.
The displays seem about identical.
The thicker bezel on the G3 is a bit annoying the same way it was on the NST.
Oh! No! They are using the same IR sensor as in the NST, not the capacitive from the G+!
Get your Q Tips ready to clean cruft out of the corners of the bezel.
Under some conditions it also throws a distracting shadow.
The bezel on the G3 is also bigger, especially on the top and bottom.
Having physical buttons is somewhat handy.
They are still using about the same hardware in the G3 as in the G+.

MCIMX6L8DVN10AB (i.MX 6 series 32-bit MPU, ARM Cortex-A9 core, 1GHz)
KLM8G1GEME-B0141 (8 GB eMMC)
Nanya NT6TL128M32AQ-G1 (512 MB DRAM)
Realtek RTL8189FTV (2.4GHz WiFi)
TI TPS65185 (eInk power controller)
Ricoh RC51619 (eInk controller)
zForce NN1001 (IR touch sensor)
zForce NN2003 (IR touch sensor)

In a lot of ways it's not a lot of progress.

RyogoNA

Jul 13, 2010
FYI, I've posted in Glowlight Plus topic links to TWRP recovery (and device tree), since HW in Glowlight 3 is mostly identical someone could try to build a recovery for Glowlight 3.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok. So it looks like the bootanimation. When I kill it from the shell the device is ready. Any ideas what causes this?
    Did you delete/rename /system/priv-app/partner.apk?
    B&N put its hooks in everywhere.
    The bootanimation will not go away without partner.apk unless you do something.

On my Glow2 I just renamed partner.apk and bnereader.apk to backup files.
    That does the startup correctly.

The Glow 3 modified /system/bin/bootanimation to use bn.bootanim.exit instead of service.bootanim.exit
    You can take bootanimation out of a Glow2 or just delete/rename bootanimation.
    You will then get a black screen until your home/launcher starts.
    I tried to run the script on my Glowlight 3, using a Windows PC that has Minimal ADB and Fastboot installed. I can see my Glowlight in adb devices. I can install apps to my Glowlight. However, when I try to run rootnook.cmd, I get a message - ADB not connected?

What am I missing?

Glow 3 is a BNRV520, not a BNRV510.
    Change line #9 in the script.

Unrelated to your problem, but as info VID 2080, PID 000B.
    Code:
    Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 7818 MB, 7818182656 bytes
    4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 238592 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Partition  Format  Id  Start   End    Size (bytes)   Mount
    ---------  ------  --  -----  ------  -------------  ---------
    mmcblk0                    1  238592  7,818,182,656
    mmcblk0p1  emmc    83     33     223      6,258,688  /boot
    mmcblk0p2  emmc    83    609    1632     33,554,432  /recovery
    mmcblk0p3           5   1633   26720    822,083,584
    mmcblk0p4  ext4    83  26720  238080  6,925,877,248  /data
    mmcblk0p5  ext4    83   1665   13952    402,653,184  /system
    mmcblk0p6  ext4    83  13984   26272    402,685,952  /cache
    mmcblk0p7  ext4    83  26304   26560      8,421,376  /device
    mmcblk0p8  emmc    83  26592   26719      4,194,304  /misc
    anyone brave enough to pop theirs open and see if there is a UART possibility or not?
    Of course!

It pops easily. Use a thin knifeblade to get it started then work a guitar pick around.
    The TTY is easy and obvious, 3.3V, 115200 8N1.
    Code:
    root@ntx_6sl:/ #
    That table is pretty much busybox fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0
    I add in the mounts from /fstab.E60QQ0 and mount.
    I calculate out the byte sizes.
    I should have a utility for doing that, but I seem to just knock out those tables when needed.

mmcblk0p3 is just the extended partion block.
    A standard MBR can only contain 4 partitions.
    Usually the 4th partition "escapes" you out to more partitions.
    In our case, the 3rd partition mmcblk0p3 contains mmcblk0p5, mmcblk0p6, mmcblk0p7, mmcblk0p8.

There's no wasted space here except at the end of mmcblk04 where 16 MB is left unallocated.
    This is so if they swap out the flash memory chip for another brand they won't have to redo the partitioning if the new chip has a few Megs less user space.