[GUIDE-WIP] Unlock 3G/LTE bands your LeEco Le Max 2 & fix USA Band selection issue

Search This thread

valy_cta

Feb 29, 2012
Constanta
[GUIDE-WIP] Unlock 3G/LTE bands your LeEco Le Max 2 & fix USA Band selection issue

When people received their X829 (without the B20 support), they realized that unlocking bands does not work in this way for this device. Some are working at the moment to figure it out. Until then, only fixing USA band selection will work. Thanks for understanding and sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Hi all,
After getting into some trouble with accidentally selecting USA Band in "Select Radio Band", I started to search for help on the forums and read a lot. Below you will find an easy way to unlock additional bands on your device or fix the issue of improper band selection.

DISCLAIMER
Given that maybe nothing will happen to your warranty or there are small chances that your device might get bricked, I feel the need to say that I am not responsible for any damage caused by following these instructions. Any modification that you do to your phone you're doing at your OWN RISK.

The steps are quite easy to follow and the instructions are made for beginners and for those who don't know ADB commands (I am one). There are plenty guides out there I should say, but this one is adapted to our Le Max2 and I need to say that it WILL FIX the USA Band selection mistake that some might do :)

Lets pass to the instructions:

1. Make sure your phone is rooted and you have SuperSU installed, ADB drivers installed
2. Download "Setup DFS Studio" from http://cdmatool.com or the DFS Studio 16.05.31.0 (an older version) from here https://mega.nz/#!h1ImHJyK!gBcp2j6wIp6e6smNvwuQ-GvxNTL6mYSoIjPkY_hJJVY
3. Connect the phone to the computer via USB
4. Select MTP and USB debugging
5. Open command prompt from Start => Run and type "cmd.exe". Once opened, type "adb shell". It should show "shell@le_x2:/ $"
6. Open the SuperSU app on the phone
7. Type in cmd.exe "su" and grant access of ADB shell in SuperSU, you will see "root@le_x2:/ #"
8. Type in cmd.exe "setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb" and your phone will enter into Diagnotics Mode - this means that the MTP connection will be lost (you won't find any portable device in My Computer).
9. The drivers should be installed for the Diag Mode (in my case automatically - Win7 32bit) and you can see in Device Manager at Ports - Qualcomm HS-USB Android DIAG 901D (COMxx).
10. At this stage, if all should be well, you can start the "Qualcomm Tool" from DFS Studio folder. You can close the login window and it will run in demo mode (enough for what we need)
11. In the "Main" tab, double click on "Qualcomm HS-USB Android DIAG 901D (COMxx)" to select it - in the DFS log you will see "Qualcomm HS-USB Android DIAG 901D (COMxx) device in diagnostic mode"
12. In DFS Tool select tab "Band"
13. In tab "CDMA/GSM/HSPDA" select "RF BC Config" and then "Read"
14. Select the bands you need and then press "Write"
15. In the same tab, select "Bands Preffered" and do the same as above (read-write)
16. Select "LTE" tab which is aside "CDMA/GSM/HSPDA" and do the same as above. I changed values only in "LTE BC Config #6828" as the "LTE BC Config DIV #6829" didn't work for me when I pressed Read (there was nothing selected, all blank).
17. After operation had been completed, close Qualcomm Tool, unplug the phone and restart it.

Notes:
1* At point 9 if the drivers do not automatically install, search for HTC DIAG DRVIER and change the .inf file and install them manually
2* To exit the diagnose mode, just unplug the phone from the computer and it will return to normal on the next connection. Kindly note that during the diagnose mode, the phone will be in "Charge only" state.
3* To make sure that the procedure is successful, do the steps once again and press only "Read" after the restart to see that the bands are indeed added.
4* This guide might be used for any Qualcomm device as long as it can be entered in diag mode.
5* To fix USA BAND Selection issue, it is necessary to select in "Band Preferred" the same bands as in "RF BC Config" and then write them.
6* Some might think that if they will select all bands, then the phone will work also on the Moon/ Mars. Well, that's not the case... I'm not sure what antennas are within the handset itself and if it will be able to work on different bands than specified by LeEco, but one might give it a try.

Original bands of the Le Max2
2G: GSM 2/3/5/8; CDMA (BC0 / BC1)
3G: WCDMA B1/2/5/8; TD-SCDMA: B34/39; CDMA (BC0 / BC1)
4G: FDD-LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/20/25/26; TDD-LTE:38/39/40/41

FAQ:
1. Will it work on my device? A: The tool is only intended to be used on Qualcomm devices, it won't work on Exynos, Mediatek, etc...
2. My device has a Qualcomm processor, can I unlock additional bands? A: In theory yes, but the hardware matters the most. This tool is just to unlock the software side.
3. I have unlocked band 20, why doesn't it work/connect to a network? A: As stated above, this depends upon the phone's hardware and antennas. Nobody can guarantee that if you'll unlock a specific band, then the modem will connect and operate on that band. The phone needs to have all the necessary hardware in order to operate properly but to only be limited on the software side - this is why we use this tool :)
4. What phones have been reported working until now? A: Why don't you give it a try and write down your feedback here?!

Credits for this goes to chatmonchy who actually gave me the idea to restore the preferred bands; the various guides for a lot of Qualcomm devices that can be found over the web; XDA community.

Last edited:

sanke1

Apr 8, 2012
Mumbai
I am wondering if this is needed for Indian variant which already supports the above list of LTE bands? In India, they are using only 3 LTE bands. B3, B5 and B40.

Reactions: Mahz4130

valy_cta

Feb 29, 2012
Constanta
Well, for sure not in your case. If you travel a lot, then you might feel the need to change something. I saw over the forums that some people ask about the bands supported by the phone or some complain about not having signal on some networks, then at least they should check what is enabled in their device.
I noticed that on Indian ROM when you enter *#*#4636#*#* in dialer and you select Phone information and then Select Radio Bands, there is nothing to select. Can you confirm please? On the Chinese rom the options are "USA Band" and "Band 6". Selecting any of these will break the preferred bands in Le Max2 resulting in loss of network in Europe or somewhere else.

sanke1

Apr 8, 2012
Mumbai
Well, for sure not in your case. If you travel a lot, then you might feel the need to change something. I saw over the forums that some people ask about the bands supported by the phone or some complain about not having signal on some networks, then at least they should check what is enabled in their device.
I noticed that on Indian ROM when you enter *#*#4636#*#* in dialer and you select Phone information and then Select Radio Bands, there is nothing to select. Can you confirm please? On the Chinese rom the options are "USA Band" and "Band 6". Selecting any of these will break the preferred bands in Le Max2 resulting in loss of network in Europe or somewhere else.

You are right, on Indian 15s firmware, there is nothing to select under Select Radio Bands in testing menu.

sim4

Sep 7, 2016
Thank you soo, soo much for this solution. A life-savier. Setting the band-preferred worked for my LeEco Max 2.

Reactions: valy_cta

dondeep

Nov 25, 2013
I tried step by step but after completing there is no extra band options in band selection I.e *#*#4636#*#*, log says nvwrite complete.

readion

Jul 16, 2016
thread: [GUIDE] Unlock 3G/LTE bands in your LeEco Le Max 2 & fix USA Band selection

Hi, gyus
I had the same problem, i select USA band and everything went wrong,
The simplest way for me was:
installing "X820 LeMax2 RevolutioN_Team Resurrection Remix", no other from TeamSpain, only Resurrection Remix
http://revolutionlemax2.blogspot.al/
https://mega.nz/#!T9o0wAhJ!iLa9mrPAr5wObvygnF5giyioUnJKnVkCg3_L-q2RgnA
then after installation, go in dialer and call *#*#4636#*#*.
There are three band: Automaic, USA, and EURO.
I select the EURO and everything i'ts OK.
BEFORE DO ACTIONS DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP ALL THE ROM WHERE YOU ARE WITH TWRP

Last edited:

valy_cta

Feb 29, 2012
Constanta
I tried step by step but after completing there is no extra band options in band selection I.e *#*#4636#*#*, log says nvwrite complete.
Generally shouldn't be any visible changes in there. The change you will see if you will have a network working on a different frequency than it was phone's default. Also DFS will show at next connection what bands are enabled.

Hi, gyus
I had the same problem, i select USA band and everything went wrong,
The simplest way for me was:
installing "X820 LeMax2 RevolutioN_Team Resurrection Remix", no other from TeamSpain, only Resurrection Remix
http://revolutionlemax2.blogspot.al/
https://mega.nz/#!T9o0wAhJ!iLa9mrPAr5wObvygnF5giyioUnJKnVkCg3_L-q2RgnA
then after installation, go in dialer and call *#*#4636#*#*.
There are three band: Automaic, USA, and EURO.
I select the EURO and everything i'ts OK.
BEFORE DO ACTIONS DON'T FORGET TO BACKUP ALL THE ROM WHERE YOU ARE WITH TWRP
Thanks, good to know. I think it would have been better to select Automatic and not Euro, despite that you may live in Europe, if you will travel outside or you will sell the phone, it might not work anywhere else except Europe. Maybe I'm wrong...

readion

Jul 16, 2016
Thanks, good to know. I think it would have been better to select Automatic and not Euro, despite that you may live in Europe, if you will travel outside or you will sell the phone, it might not work anywhere else except Europe. Maybe I'm wrong...
Okay, i didn't think it, you can select Automatic without problem and the band will return.
I don't know why, but in this ROM the selection band have change. Not have more Euro band and in his place are Japan and two others, but the Automatic and USA are there, no problem

readion

Jul 16, 2016
I want Japan bands. Which ROM can select Japan?

This link is CM13 modified by TeamMSpain [RR] ResuRRectioN RemiX LeMax2 x820 RevolutioN_Team (the name of the ROM: RR TeaMSpaiN RevolutioN FINAL) and is good ROM, but have problem with recent button, not have RemoteControl and CallRecorder app, but you can record manually when you call and the recorder you can find in FileManager. After installation you can type in dialer *#*#4636#*#*. Click Phone Info and after in dot menu click the select radio band. There are the bands what's your needed. But the Automatic is for all us LeMax2. Don't forget to Backup the ROM where you are now.
http://revolutionlemax2.blogspot.al/2016/08/rr-resurrection-remix-lemax2-x820.html?m=1

valy_cta

Feb 29, 2012
Constanta
I am in Canada using Wind Mobile. Is there any advantage if I pick USA bands? Can I switch back to prefer bands if I want to? Thanks
It's possible that you might not get any signal although I'm not sure about Canadian networks if they have anything in common with USA ones. In Europe won't work, this is for sure.
You can try selecting USA Band in the dialer. To restore you have to follow the procedure in the op.

Sent from my Le Max2 using XDA Labs

Reactions: Amowagou

kanagawaben

Apr 18, 2015
Minamiashigara
I added the bands for Japan that I need (especially 800mhz for 3G in rural/mountain areas, and a couple of the lower frequency LTE bands my carrier uses). Although the Qualcomm tool on the computer reports them added, and I am given the option to select Japan bands on the phone, they don't seem to make any difference to my reception - they should improve reception in mountains and inside concrete buildings, but they don't whatsoever. I see no change at all and am therefore sceptical if the modem hardware is actually capable of accessing these bands even if they are turned on in the firmware.

whymoo

Sep 7, 2011
Is there any harm in enabling every single bands? I know most of them won't work but there is no way to really tell which ones will work and which ones won't. And as long as there is no harm in enabling them all I might as well try it. Has anybody tried enabling them all?

valy_cta

Feb 29, 2012
Constanta
I added the bands for Japan that I need (especially 800mhz for 3G in rural/mountain areas, and a couple of the lower frequency LTE bands my carrier uses). Although the Qualcomm tool on the computer reports them added, and I am given the option to select Japan bands on the phone, they don't seem to make any difference to my reception - they should improve reception in mountains and inside concrete buildings, but they don't whatsoever. I see no change at all and am therefore sceptical if the modem hardware is actually capable of accessing these bands even if they are turned on in the firmware.
This is why it's written in the op that the phone maybe does not have the hardware capabilities. This is like the first confirmation that it does not work, although we should see if more people claim it not functional.

Is there any harm in enabling every single bands? I know most of them won't work but there is no way to really tell which ones will work and which ones won't. And as long as there is no harm in enabling them all I might as well try it. Has anybody tried enabling them all?
I have enabled all the WCDMA bands and there is no problem with my unit. I can't guarantee for yours, but I don't believe that will happen something.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

When people received their X829 (without the B20 support), they realized that unlocking bands does not work in this way for this device. Some are working at the moment to figure it out. Until then, only fixing USA band selection will work. Thanks for understanding and sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    Hi all,
    After getting into some trouble with accidentally selecting USA Band in "Select Radio Band", I started to search for help on the forums and read a lot. Below you will find an easy way to unlock additional bands on your device or fix the issue of improper band selection.

DISCLAIMER
    Given that maybe nothing will happen to your warranty or there are small chances that your device might get bricked, I feel the need to say that I am not responsible for any damage caused by following these instructions. Any modification that you do to your phone you're doing at your OWN RISK.

The steps are quite easy to follow and the instructions are made for beginners and for those who don't know ADB commands (I am one). There are plenty guides out there I should say, but this one is adapted to our Le Max2 and I need to say that it WILL FIX the USA Band selection mistake that some might do :)

Lets pass to the instructions:

1. Make sure your phone is rooted and you have SuperSU installed, ADB drivers installed
    2. Download "Setup DFS Studio" from http://cdmatool.com or the DFS Studio 16.05.31.0 (an older version) from here https://mega.nz/#!h1ImHJyK!gBcp2j6wIp6e6smNvwuQ-GvxNTL6mYSoIjPkY_hJJVY
    3. Connect the phone to the computer via USB
    4. Select MTP and USB debugging
    5. Open command prompt from Start => Run and type "cmd.exe". Once opened, type "adb shell". It should show "shell@le_x2:/ $"
    6. Open the SuperSU app on the phone
    7. Type in cmd.exe "su" and grant access of ADB shell in SuperSU, you will see "root@le_x2:/ #"
    8. Type in cmd.exe "setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb" and your phone will enter into Diagnotics Mode - this means that the MTP connection will be lost (you won't find any portable device in My Computer).
    9. The drivers should be installed for the Diag Mode (in my case automatically - Win7 32bit) and you can see in Device Manager at Ports - Qualcomm HS-USB Android DIAG 901D (COMxx).
    10. At this stage, if all should be well, you can start the "Qualcomm Tool" from DFS Studio folder. You can close the login window and it will run in demo mode (enough for what we need)
    11. In the "Main" tab, double click on "Qualcomm HS-USB Android DIAG 901D (COMxx)" to select it - in the DFS log you will see "Qualcomm HS-USB Android DIAG 901D (COMxx) device in diagnostic mode"
    12. In DFS Tool select tab "Band"
    13. In tab "CDMA/GSM/HSPDA" select "RF BC Config" and then "Read"
    14. Select the bands you need and then press "Write"
    15. In the same tab, select "Bands Preffered" and do the same as above (read-write)
    16. Select "LTE" tab which is aside "CDMA/GSM/HSPDA" and do the same as above. I changed values only in "LTE BC Config #6828" as the "LTE BC Config DIV #6829" didn't work for me when I pressed Read (there was nothing selected, all blank).
    17. After operation had been completed, close Qualcomm Tool, unplug the phone and restart it.

Notes:
    1* At point 9 if the drivers do not automatically install, search for HTC DIAG DRVIER and change the .inf file and install them manually
    2* To exit the diagnose mode, just unplug the phone from the computer and it will return to normal on the next connection. Kindly note that during the diagnose mode, the phone will be in "Charge only" state.
    3* To make sure that the procedure is successful, do the steps once again and press only "Read" after the restart to see that the bands are indeed added.
    4* This guide might be used for any Qualcomm device as long as it can be entered in diag mode.
    5* To fix USA BAND Selection issue, it is necessary to select in "Band Preferred" the same bands as in "RF BC Config" and then write them.
    6* Some might think that if they will select all bands, then the phone will work also on the Moon/ Mars. Well, that's not the case... I'm not sure what antennas are within the handset itself and if it will be able to work on different bands than specified by LeEco, but one might give it a try.

Original bands of the Le Max2
    2G: GSM 2/3/5/8; CDMA (BC0 / BC1)
    3G: WCDMA B1/2/5/8; TD-SCDMA: B34/39; CDMA (BC0 / BC1)
    4G: FDD-LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/20/25/26; TDD-LTE:38/39/40/41

FAQ:
    1. Will it work on my device? A: The tool is only intended to be used on Qualcomm devices, it won't work on Exynos, Mediatek, etc...
    2. My device has a Qualcomm processor, can I unlock additional bands? A: In theory yes, but the hardware matters the most. This tool is just to unlock the software side.
    3. I have unlocked band 20, why doesn't it work/connect to a network? A: As stated above, this depends upon the phone's hardware and antennas. Nobody can guarantee that if you'll unlock a specific band, then the modem will connect and operate on that band. The phone needs to have all the necessary hardware in order to operate properly but to only be limited on the software side - this is why we use this tool :)
    4. What phones have been reported working until now? A: Why don't you give it a try and write down your feedback here?!

Credits for this goes to chatmonchy who actually gave me the idea to restore the preferred bands; the various guides for a lot of Qualcomm devices that can be found over the web; XDA community.
    I made a QCN backup of my x820 phone and restored it onto the x829. The QCN Modem Capabilities tool can now see all the right bands; however, the phone won't register on the wireless network. (I restored the original IMEI by the way).

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

So here is my progress so far with x829.

1. Good news: the phone shares all kernels and most modems with x820. It's impossible to brick it by flashing something wrong.
    2. Restoring QCN backup (NVRAM+EFS) from the x820 works; settings stick; x820 LTE bands are identified on the x829 (by QCN Modem Capabilities app), but the phone won't connect to cellular network (Wi-Fi works). Restoring EFS from a TWRP backup removes "extra" LTE bands and allows the phone to connect; it does not matter which EFS backup is used (x829 or x820), the end result is always the same.
    3. Changing IMEI settings (NVRAM 0550) sticks; changed IMEI numbers are correctly identified by dialing *#06# (unlike Xiaomi Mi Note 2).
    4. NVRAM items changed in QXDM stick, but don't seem to affect anything (QCN Modem Capabilities app does not list enabled LTE bands).
    5. Once again, I did not brick the device while doing all these things. This means we can safely experiment with NVRAM/EFS settings.

Now, this is all I could do at this point. Hopefully there's someone who knows more about Qualcomm baseband, NVRAM and EFS things to finally unlock the missing frequencies.
    After playing with this for a while, I am fairly convinced that changing the values in DFS either does nothing, or doesn't do what we think it would. As a test, I disabled the WCDMA bands for my carrier, one by one, and multiple combinations in-between until all were disabled, rebooted and tested the phone between each change. I could see no real difference at all. Even with all of the bands of interest disabled, the phone still connected to WCDMA service and worked, which it shouldn't have with those bands gone.

I get the feeling that the bands are hard coded in the radio files, or some other location we don't yet know about.
    There is hope: https://xdaforums.com/oneplus-3/how-to/guide-unlock-additional-lte-bands-t3519563/
    I asked for help. The thing is, I managed to successfully back up QCN from my x820 (Global); replace both IMEI with the correct IMEI of the recipient x829 (USA) device; restore that modified QCN backup onto the x829. I then made sure that NVRAM values for LTE 06828 and 06829 match those of the Global device (value: 2061635225823).

Now, I can see all those global LTE bands showing up in NetworkSignal Test. I have the correct IMEI listed in the About section. However, the phone does not even attempt to connect to the mobile network. Just plain "No Service" for both SIM cards. Of course, the moment I restore the original EFS I get signal again - but no global bands.

We also have this RF hardware config ID:

x820:
    NVRAM item 1878: 241

x829:
    NVRAM item 1878: 243

- Restore Global backup onto US model: lost mobile connectivity
    - Restore Global backup onto US model, change item 1878 back to US ID (243): phone makes attempt to connect to cellular network, then hangs up with the same symptoms we get when trying to get NetworkSignal Test to clear band locks
    - Simply change item 1878 to make the US model identify itself as a Global version: lost mobile connectivity

I must add that, in the end, my x829 lost Wi-Fi AND cellular connectivity altogether (I must add, I did a few extra experiments to make this happen). EFS recovery from TWRP didn't help. Neither did QCN restore. It's 1am here, so I am not going to do anything drastic right now. Will try restoring it tomorrow.
    Got the x829 64/4. Came with 16s USA modem. No LTE Band 20 support out of the box. Used DFS Studio to unlock B20. The setting sticks (reading LTE values after reboot shows B20 activated), but the phone does not "see" this band: QCT Modem Capabilities still lists USA bands only. Does not connect to B20 either.

Tried the following. Flashed modem 419D; phone does not boot (but recovery works). Flashed modem 19s (Russia); phone boots, no LTE B20, DFS Studio does not see the phone (displays as Offline). Flashed modem 19s (China); phone boots, DFS Studio can access the bands; LTE B20 selection sticks between reboots, but is not reported to the phone as available band (again, using QCT Modem Capabilities app). LTE B20 is not available in Network Signal Guru and LTE Discovery as well. I have an x820; with the same SIM card, it can see B20 immediately.

UPD: Flashing finally 419D worked after flashing 19s. Still no B20.