HTC Sensation General FAQ's. New to this device? Read here! UPDATED 8/3/11

Search This thread

ycayir

Feb 20, 2012
Tipperary

Hi
With your guidance I flashed rom Android revolutionary HD 6.5.1 to my device
Its glamour
very fast, beautiful, less battery usage, more ram free space & ...

there is only one problem

the WiFi doesn't work
I turn it on but the notification will not appear on statue bar
it doesn't find any network
sometimes just for few seconds (1 or 2 second) the availabe network appear but it cant connect to it or the network disappear rapidly
What do I have to do?
please guide me..........

Mohammad Mahdi Ahmadi
HTC Sensation Z710e
Android 4.0.3
Rom revolutionary HD 6.5.1

This might be silly sugestion but did you try to see if they have a fix on the page. These are usually noted at the end of the forum by people who might have had similar problem.

Sent from my Sensation using xda premium

skittleys

Dec 31, 2010
Toronto
Can you please add a section about what to do if you have S-OFF but the bootloader is locked (says ***LOCKED*** at the top of the bootloader screen)? This happened to me when I flashed an RUU. There is a lot of conflicting information about this, and I'm *still* not sure what the correct approach is. I ended up re-doing the whole procedure from scratch.

Satsuray

Apr 23, 2012
Noob questions

Hello i`m new to android and just got a htc sensation ... now i don`t want to root or flash other rooms because it will void my warranty.... so the problems is i noticed the stock launcher keeps restarting sometimes when i exit a game or video and i get a bit of lag but somewhat persistent lag so i check the task killer and notice i only have 100 free ram is there anything i can do get more like maybe using another launcher will that free what sens uses ? And please tell me how to get the phone to only show my phone contacts and not mix them with the sim ones

dayungexec

Jan 9, 2012
Try unistalling that app and re-install. Restart the phone, or do a factory reset. To show the phone contacts, go into contacts, at the top should be a menu next to add contact. Select that bar and it should give you a choice of which contacts to show. Or it will do it through the menu button. Or you can set that up if you do the factory reset.

Satsuray

Apr 23, 2012
Still lagging a bit

I tried the factory reset thing and i still get some lag i think the problem is the stock launcher sens ui it seems to eat a lot of ram If i switch to go launcher will that free the ram sens uses ?

DeepRed89

Sep 2, 2011
Salerno
hi, i'm going to buy this device, but i've a question:

if i buy one with a branded firmware, ita voda in my case, can i reinstall the stock firmware ita voda on my device in case that i have to bring it to the garancy, after that i've installed custom roms and kernel? thank...

sorry for my english.

May 29, 2012
Madrid
hi, i'm going to buy this device, but i've a question:

if i buy one with a branded firmware, ita voda in my case, can i reinstall the stock firmware ita voda on my device in case that i have to bring it to the garancy, after that i've installed custom roms and kernel? thank...

sorry for my english.

You can always put everything back to factory to install the appropriate RUU, voda for you, come back to have the device ready to process a warranty when put the S-On again.
In the various guides on the forum have everything explained.

mumooshka

Feb 4, 2012
ok here's a question for you which causes me great concern...

I bought an HTC sensation xe and since the recent update, I cannot answer the phone!

It rings... and I cannot unlock the phone by using the unlocking ring – it won't move. This is occurring 100% of the time.

I have two kids and they take an old nokia to school so we can contact one another, and I'm worried that they can't call me in an emergency

heeeeeelp!

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
ok here's a question for you which causes me great concern...

I bought an HTC sensation xe and since the recent update, I cannot answer the phone!

It rings... and I cannot unlock the phone by using the unlocking ring – it won't move. This is occurring 100% of the time.

I have two kids and they take an old nokia to school so we can contact one another, and I'm worried that they can't call me in an emergency

heeeeeelp!

If you are on stock.. Factory reset is the only solution left

Sent from my pyramid.. Through blazing fast sonic waves

Reactions: mumooshka

mumooshka

Feb 4, 2012
thanks... did a factory reset and I can receive calls now.. but looks as though I lost the major update, which I actually loved..can i find it again? Hopefully it won't stuff up again .

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
thanks... did a factory reset and I can receive calls now.. but looks as though I lost the major update, which I actually loved..can i find it again? Hopefully it won't stuff up again .

You won't lose the update if you do a factory reset afaik
But if you want to update check for update again you might find it

Sent from my pyramid.. Through blazing fast sonic waves

Reactions: mumooshka

mumooshka

Feb 4, 2012
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. I didn't lose a lot of stuff but ironically did lose my most recent phone contacts...(even though I backed it up).

Now, due to the upgrade, I can't find where to switch off the vibrate each time I press a letter when texting.

went to language and keyboard but it's all changed and I can't see an option. Went to message and in settings there, can't find anything.

It's just annoying , that's all..anyone??? Thanks in advance.

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. I didn't lose a lot of stuff but ironically did lose my most recent phone contacts...(even though I backed it up).

Now, due to the upgrade, I can't find where to switch off the vibrate each time I press a letter when texting.

went to language and keyboard but it's all changed and I can't see an option. Went to message and in settings there, can't find anything.

It's just annoying , that's all..anyone??? Thanks in advance.

Go into Language & keyboard, you will see a icon to the right side of Touch input that looks like a EQ icon. Touch on that and it will open up the Touch input settings, select Text input and then scroll to the very bottom and you can uncheck vibrate when typing....;)

mumooshka

Feb 4, 2012
Go into Language & keyboard, you will see a icon to the right side of Touch input that looks like a EQ icon. Touch on that and it will open up the Touch input settings, select Text input and then scroll to the very bottom and you can uncheck vibrate when typing....;)

ah thanks , did that and it worked..

Seems the 'not being able to unlock the phone and receive calls' fault is happening again!!! What the!!???

Twice yesterday I could not unlock the phone to answer incoming calls... btw only received the two calls...so 100% fail.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **Added a few new things now that we have S-off. Check them out below.**

This thread was created simply for Noobs. Yes, if you don't know how to boot into the bootloader..than you should be reading this. We were all Noobs once. :) You can always check this more than once since i will be updating it with more issues and solutions fellow members post that i might have forgot to add.

If you dont have this recovery flashed already here is a Link to a WORKING CHARGING WHILE OFF RECOVERY PLEASE FLASH IT JUST TO BE SURE YOUR SAFE here. Will get removed when Rom Manager gives you the right recovery and not a broken one.

My Phone Died and i can't turn it back on!!! help!!
    1. Download the recovery i have posted above. Once downloaded rename to remove the name of the recovery until its just named recovery.img.

2. Plug your device to a computer and run the command
    adb reboot
    or
    adb reboot bootloader

if your device doesn't turn on, then simply pull the battery, put it back in, then redo the steps.

3. Once your phone does power on from one of those commands, reboot into android OS and put the recovery on the root of your sdcard.

4.Boot into bootloader while plugged into the computer and run the following command
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Then the problem is fixed! I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but thats the fix.

7/28/11 We now have s-off.

follow this guide here for a better in depth on how to do it. : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1192300

How do i flash a ROM on my sensation?
    1.place the rom on the ROOT of your sdcard.
    2.boot into recovery using either the app rom manager and choosing boot to recovery, MORE THAN LIKELY your custom rom will have the advanced power menu so you can just hold the power key, go to restart, then choose recovery, or powering off and booting holding power+vol down, then scroll down to recovery, press power key.
    3. WIPE your DATA/CACHE partitions, then scroll down to advanced and wipe your dalvik cache.
    4. go to install zip from your SDCARD
    5. Choose zip from sdcard.
    6. Find the rom, press power button, and install it.
    7. Reboot and enjoy!

Will i lose all my texts, apps,etc when i install a new rom?
    Yes you will. You could make a titanium backup of everything though and restore it when your done flashing the roms so you can get everything back. Download titanium from the market.

What is the difference between a Nandroid Backup and using Titanium backup??

Well When you make a nandroid backup, your backing up the ENTIRE rom, not just things you want to restore onto your new rom. in other words, with a nandroid, if you want to go back to your previous rom if you don't like the new one, use a nandroid backup.

Nandroid sounds interesting and is something i would like to do!! How do i do it?!

You boot into recovery, go down to where it says backup and restore, and choose backup, name it, then go ahead and back it up. Thats obviously where you want to restore it as well. You *ALSO* can choose the app ROM Manager and do it from there.

My battery Life SUCKS after i flashed this New ROM!! IS MY BATTERY MESSED UP??

Nah its not don't worry about it. Your battery life usually is going to suck because your battery stats got wiped from android, and it has to recreate it. So let the battery die once probably, fully charge it, then let it die again. then Charge it then you should be ok. Give it a day or two you should see a change. If not, let the developer of the ROM know NICELY in his thread. If you see that someone already posted about the battery life, no need for you to post it as well.

How do i flash a kernel??
    You flash it exactly how you do a ROM. No need to wipe anything just flash it and reboot.

How do i flash a RADIO?
    That depends. if its in a format and the name starts with a P then has a bunch of different numbers after, then you do the following:
    1. Place on the root of your sdcard.
    2. Reboot into the bootloader.
    3. Then it will find it, and ask you if you want to update.
    4. Let it do the update. It will only replace the radio.
    5. Reboot into recovery and wipe DALVIK cache.
    6. Reboot and enjoy.
    ALWAYS make sure you read the Original post of the person who is providing the radio to make sure he ripped everything out and its ready to flash.

My Phone is S-OFF and it fully died and now it won't turn back on and it doesn't look like its charging while its off WTF AM I BRICK?!?!

No its not. From what i learned its in "offline" charging mode since the battery is so low, and even though the light isn't showing, its still charging. To turn back on:
    1. Either wait a few mins and let it charge for a little, then pull battery, put it back in and try to turn on.
    2. Plug into computer, let it sit for a second, then use this command from terminal:
    adb reboot

It will turn it on for you. i honestly don't know WHY its like this, but thats just how it is for right now. i personally had to use the second option. If i learn more about this, ill update you guys.

Does this Recovery update?! If so, how do i UPDATE IT?!

Since S-off and recovery JUST became available to us, its prolly not updated right now. But for future reference just download the App ROM Manager from the market. Once loaded, if there is ever an update or something for it, it will be in that app. then you can choose it from there and it will update it for you.

I hold the volume down+the power button but it doesn't boot into it!!!! help!!!
    Pull the battery out before you do it. OR to make things ALOT easier, before turning your sensation off go into settings,power, and uncheck the Fastboot option. Now when you turn the device off, it will fully power down instead of just going into a "sleep" mode. Now do it.

My wifi is terrible! When i turn it sideways, i lose ALL MY BARS!! WTF?!?!
    'Try moving your hand, you might be detuning the WiFi antenna'. If you know that the WiFi antenna is adjacent to the camera lens, you're more likely to be aware when you're covering it. But Your not alone either. i actually have this same problem as well. Yes i know it sucks. There are only three things you could do here though honestly since We haven't really brought it down to a conclusion of is it our hardware that's causing it or is it the software.

1.You could boot into bootloader and data wipe your sensation to see if it fixes it. BE WARNED IT WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE, MEANING EVERYTHING WILL GET DELETED OFF IT! APPS, MESSAGES ETC.

2.If that doesn't fix it, go into Settings-Wifi & Networks-Wifi Settings. Once your in there press the menu button and go to the advanced option in the pop-up menu. Once in there choose Best Wifi Performance.

3. If that doesn't work, then you need to get a warranty replacement. we know it sucks, we promise.

My touchscreen stops being responsive! Whats going on!?

It seems to be happening to everyone after about a week of use, me as well. We think maybe an ota will fix it. But to do a quick fix of it just turn the screen off for a few seconds then turn it back on. it usually fixes it whenever it stops working.

My Data connection is horrible and extremely slow. Why?!

This also seems to have happened to everyone. To try to fix, call t-mobile and see if they have your phone in their database, and make sure on their database it has that you have a sensation and they have the right data package going for you. Also make sure your Sim card isn't old, which t-mobile can also fix for you. I Can personally say talking with t-mobile helps. i used to have poor connection. now i can use wifi hotspot for my laptop while being on the phone talking with someone still with full 4G bars.
    You could also try this fix ( Thanks Mysterioustko):
    -Go into the dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#*
    -Select Phone Info
    -Go to the "toggle cyphering" button and disable it
    -For good measure turn off radio and then turn it back on
    -Then reenable the "toggle cyphering" button

Just got my new sensation but its really hot!!! Is it defective?!

No it's not defective, its just hot. These batteries can heat up from time to time, ESPECIALLY on your first few charges, but it won't happen much anymore after. My battery was extremely hot from just charging it for the first time with the phone turned off, so i'm speaking from experience and from other users as well.
    The voicemail notification won't leave the status bar even when i don't have a voicemail!!

Simple fix: Settings-Call-Clear Voicemail Notification.

Any more questions? Please Ask here. Ill try to answer them and add them to this post. Hope this helps people. Let's not keep asking the same questions over, and over, and over.. and over again. :)
    you should add in some of the other known issues too, such as no sound issue & the voicemail icon clear, & try to get this as a sticky.
    Latest Help for data speeds or batt. usage

Just got the new Sensation 4g From Tmobile 2 days ago mine is slow....at data etc...now they have throttled me back....after switching 4 samsung GS4G....upgraded.....was recieving no incoming calls (20 %) of calls
    taked to a Rep at tmobile this was his fix for me hope it can help someone else......

On your phone, please dial *#*#4636#*#*
    It Will Try to push 3 or 4G to your phone.
    Once you dial those numbers, Press Phone information.
    Scroll down and tap Toggle ciphering to turn it off.
    Tap Turn radio off to turn off the radio,
    Tap Turn radio on to turn the radio back on.
    Tap Toggle ciphering to turn it back on.
    Turn the device off, and turn it back on.
    Open Internet and test a webpage.

To Select Network Options
    (may help with the battery issue if you are in the 2-3 g service area)

From any Home screen, tap the Menu key.
    Tap Settings.
    Tap Wireless & networks.
    Scroll to and tap Mobile networks.
    Tap Network Mode.
    Tap GSM / WCDMA auto to use a 4G connection when available.
    Tap WCDMA only to use a 3G connection only.
    Tap GSM only to use a 2G connection only.
    you should add in some of the other known issues too, such as no sound issue & the voicemail icon clear, & try to get this as a sticky.

That Makes sense. Just i never came across that voicemail or no sound issue. Direct me to a link real quick so i can add them so i can see the problem and post the solution? Thanks alot for the input i appreciate it. ill keep looking for more Problems and what not. And i already asked a MOD to sticky it. I just doubt they'd Sticky it in the General AND Developement section, since i posted it there as well for the people who miss it here somehow (or just never come to this section of our forums) and vice versa.
    For the voicemail icon bug, I just called my phone and left myself a message and removed it. Worked well..

even faster: Settings>Call>Clear Voicemail Notification