[Q] What is the order of things I should do to install a custom ROM?

Search This thread
Dec 10, 2013
Hey guys, I'm planning to get an HTC One on AT&T in 2 months when I'm eligible for an upgrade and will install a custom ROM (I'm going for Pacman) as soon as I get the phone. I just wanted to know the basic steps I need to do. Don't bother writing me an in-depth guide; I just want to know the order of things I have to do. I'll look up the specifics for each step myself.

For example:
  1. Get root access
  2. Unlock bootloader
  3. Install custom recovery
  4. Backup everything with Titanium
  5. Etc.
(I just made that list up off the top of my head :silly: I know it is missing things and out of order)

kamilmirza

Dec 4, 2011
OnePlus 6
Hey guys, I'm planning to get an HTC One on AT&T in 2 months when I'm eligible for an upgrade and will install a custom ROM (I'm going for Pacman) as soon as I get the phone. I just wanted to know the basic steps I need to do. Don't bother writing me an in-depth guide; I just want to know the order of things I have to do. I'll look up the specifics for each step myself.

For example:
  1. Get root access
  2. Unlock bootloader
  5. Etc.
(I just made that list up off the top of my head :silly: I know it is missing things and out of order)

unlock your bootloader
flash(install) custom recovery
make nandroid backup of your stock ROM
backup your apps & settings with Titanium
flash away your desired ROM
restore your apps & settings via Titanium

happy flashing :good:

Dec 10, 2013
unlock your bootloader
Does this mean I don't have to root? And do I need to do anything with S-off or S-on?

Also, since I'm planning on flashing the ROM as soon as I get the phone (meaning there will be no apps that didn't come with the phone and the settings will stay default) do I even need to backup with Titanium?

Last edited:

cr1960

May 15, 2007
Melbourne
Does this mean I don't have to root? And do I need to do anything with S-off or S-on?

Also, since I'm planning on flashing the ROM as soon as I get the phone (meaning there will be no apps that didn't come with the phone and the settings will stay default) do I even need to backup with Titanium?

your custom rom will be 'rooted', so no, there's nothing extra to do.
the nandroid backup you take is like a snapshot of your stock rom. can be handy if you ever need to go back to stock for repair etc.
in the circumstances you provided, I probably wouldn't backup the stock apps with Titanium, but there might be some carrier specific stuff you want to keep.

most roms don't need s-off. check and see in the individual rom threads, so s-off is not a mandatory thing to do.

good luck.

Dec 10, 2013
your custom rom will be 'rooted', so no, there's nothing extra to do.
the nandroid backup you take is like a snapshot of your stock rom. can be handy if you ever need to go back to stock for repair etc.
in the circumstances you provided, I probably wouldn't backup the stock apps with Titanium, but there might be some carrier specific stuff you want to keep.

most roms don't need s-off. check and see in the individual rom threads, so s-off is not a mandatory thing to do.

good luck.
In this video, the guy says that the phone needs to be rooted before installing the ROM around 0:48. I found this video from this forum post by the OP of both the m7ul and m7att Pacman threads. Should I root the phone? I'm not sure what to do now. :confused:

ayo234

Nov 21, 2012

For example:
  1. Get root access
  2. Unlock bootloader
  5. Etc.

Backup your info before the unlocking of the bootloader.

And, if your upgrade is in two months, I would suggest waiting for the m8. It should be out by March /April and will pack all the features on the m7 plus more. And it will probably be at the same price.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

In this video, the guy says that the phone needs to be rooted before installing the ROM around 0:48. I found this video from this forum post by the OP of both the m7ul and m7att Pacman threads. Should I root the phone? I'm not sure what to do now. :confused:

You should most definitely root. You should root before the installation of a custom rom because some functions may not work. Since you seem like a beginner, I would suggest using an One - Click. Method called "Kingo Root". This is by far the fastest and easiest method I've come across. Just Google it

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

cr1960

May 15, 2007
Melbourne

it's not necessary/essential.
like I said earlier, the root comes with the rom.

I have had like 8 different devices and never rooted as part of unlocking. never. never had a problem either.
unlock bootloader - install custom recovery (I recommend twrp) - flash custom rom.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For example:
    1. Get root access
    2. Unlock bootloader
    5. Etc.

unlock your bootloader

happy flashing :good: