Will Anyone Buy a HTC Device If it becomes totally Unrootable

Search This thread

budco2000

Jan 18, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I have the HTC inspire 4G, and I'll be watching closely on phones i do not even own such as the thunderbolt to see if anyone is able to unlock the bootloader. Coming from a jailbroken Iphone 3GS and Iphone 4, to a rooted samsung captivate which I liked, has awesome graphics capability. 3 Months after buying the captivate the Inspire 4G was released and I had to have it. Not because its 4G, My 3G here in Tampa, Florida streamed HD videos without never having to stop to buffer, so I was satisfied with that, I average 3.8 down with almost every 3G phone I've ever owned. I bought it because of the screen size and camera flash. And I love it, I'm very impressed with my rooted Inspire, However a year from now, and I want another phone, If HTC becomes impossible to root, I'll go back to Samsung. Took 45 seconds to root my captivate and that includes downloading the one click root lol.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

angingrich

Jun 26, 2010
www.androidpolice.com
I'm not saying I agree with them locking down the bootloader given the nature and ethos of Android, but from a business standpoint it does make sense. Perhaps they decided to begin locking things down because they were getting too many warranty/support claims by people who had screwed things up by modding their devices.

Again, I'm not defending it at all. Just try looking at it from the other perspective, eh?

consegregate

Feb 2, 2011
Singapore
The original code crunchers won't like people to mess with their software! But it's alright our great developers of XDA will breeze past any obstacles :)

Sent from my X10minipro using XDA App

NeuroticallyYou

May 19, 2010
Sacramento CA
Moto Z3 Play
from a business point of view it does make sense, specially with what angingrich says, a boycott is not gonna help because

a)either way people will still buy the phone
b)only a minority actually gets into hacking the phone like us

so there you go, that been said i don't think they will stop with the locking process, now try that on Docomo or Softbank they won't even unlock the phone even if you threat them with lawsuits....i guess business is business after all.

budco2000

Jan 18, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The original code crunchers won't like people to mess with their software! But it's alright our great developers of XDA will breeze past any obstacles :)

Sent from my X10minipro using XDA App
I understand, I just feel it is my device, and I should be able to alter it the way I want. Just like the way I can on the Laptop I own. Be like getting a computer with no r/w access on your hard drive except to store multimedia.

ramdroid77

May 7, 2009
I'm not saying I agree with them locking down the bootloader given the nature and ethos of Android, but from a business standpoint it does make sense. Perhaps they decided to begin locking things down because they were getting too many warranty/support claims by people who had screwed things up by modding their devices.

Again, I'm not defending it at all. Just try looking at it from the other perspective, eh?

I don't think support claims are the reason. Have you ever read about people bricking their HTC phones when they tried to root them? They brick their phones when they try to bypass a NAND lock or the Motorola signature check.

consegregate

Feb 2, 2011
Singapore
I understand, I just feel it is my device, and I should be able to alter it the way I want. Just like the way I can on the Laptop I own. Be like getting a computer with no r/w access on your hard drive except to store multimedia.

Mostly because r/w access to system files can eff things up more on a phone then a laptop? Safety for the average users and rooting for the more experienced who won't brick their phone and cry for warranty.
I won't buy an android phone if there's no root though! Nearly chucked my x10 mini pro because stock rom sucks.