Idea: metal battery cover

Search This thread

ridder215215

Dec 19, 2011
Leiden
Hey!
I thought of something. Perhaps someone could make a mould with the original back cover, and then remake it out of aluminium. That's all.

Reactions: Leraeniesh

cj360

Oct 24, 2011
Wouldn't heat be an issue? My play can warm up a little bit just being idle in my pocket on a warm day.

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
Aluminum would help dissipate the heat quicker than the plastic cover which is more of an insulator.

I have doubts though about the durability and strength of a similarly thick aluminum cover. It would have to be much thicker than the plastic one to be of an protection.

AudioCreaper

Feb 18, 2012
Quezon City
question is how will you put it on without damaging the tabs on the phone? we are able to put the back cover because it is flexible.

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
question is how will you put it on without damaging the tabs on the phone? we are able to put the back cover because it is flexible.

Very good point. Press tabs will require a flexible material like plastic. Most metal panels i've seen fit with a sliding lock.

This is one project that doesn't seem likely to see the light of day...

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
Aluminum cases produce Faraday cages (basically the device becomes shielded from radiation, including the wifi and 3g waves). Apple (first iPad 1 batches) and particularly Asus (Transformer Prime) have learnt that lesson at high costs.

benoitb85

Nov 4, 2007
Bacon le Gruyère
+1 on the antenna topic. I dismantled my Play once and the antennas are on the back, it would be a very bad idea to use an all-aluminium back cover, unless you don't use 3G, wifi, GPS, etc... :D

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
I wish they had use the chrome all around, not just the sides, even if its fake chrome.

TLRtheory

Aug 14, 2011
I'd actually rather see Xperia PLAY get a battery cover that's made out of a grip-improving non-glossy matte material (like what the Xperia X10 has).

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
The Xperia Play battery cover is one of the worst parts of the phone. It's flimsy, plain and it attracts grime like a magnet. They need to improve it badly in a second iteration...

My favorite battery cover was the one on the Huawei Selina. While the phone itself is a piece of crap, the cover is firm, nice to handle and easy to remove.

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
Except for the chrome strips on the sides (and they weren't that bad), my zte blade/orange san francisco had such a nice rubbery matte finish. i hope manufacturers finally do the sensible thing and shift to matte finishes...

Top Liked Posts