Search This thread

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
CAGrom

See new DEV DB thread. Thank you
Test build for GT-P5200 COMING SOON!
Looking for two testers to download, flash, and provide feedback as I do not have access to a P5200.

Current "stable" builds for P5210 only. P5200 test build coming soon.

Two builds. One is mostly debloated, and the other is a modified TouchWiz ROM. Each one is listed below. Thank you.

As with all ROMs. Do a backup first, and as always there is always a chance of your device bricking.
Screenshots in build notes by version in post 2

Based off of the files @Restl3ss posted for the stock 5210 and 5200 Deodexed rooted roms:
GT-P5210 Deodexed
GT-P5200 Deodexed

NOTE: Allow Play Store to update Google Chrome prior to first use. If you don't it will only force quit until you do. This is a bug I am trying to squash. Whether I replace the file with a newer version or not

Features of both Debloated and Regular:
Rooted
Deodexed
Epic Android L Launcher by Nikao
JRummy's Root Browser
Titanium backup
Lean Data ( I have found this little tool to be the best way to save battery)

Goals:
Custom Theming
Faster performance
Suggestions and ideas welcome.

See Release Notes and Screenshots in Post 2.
Change log in Post 3.

Flashing Instructions: Fully tested with Angel666 TWRP recovery
In TWRP
BACKUP your current rom
Factory Reset
Install zip.
Wait 10 minutes. (usually take 4 to 5 on first start)
Enjoy

Regular CAGrom

DOWNLOAD REGULAR HERE

Debloated CAGrom
Revision 1 -- 3 August 2014
DOWNLOAD DEBLOAT HERE

Debloated notes:
This is not 100% debloated, and I have added a few apps. Root browser and Titanium are available for your convenience.
  • On first start it will ask which launcher you want. Choose TouchWiz to initiate the home button then switch to Epic if you want to try it. Let Google Play update Chrome prior to first use. It will force close, if you don't.
  • Some minor bugs and issues.
  • Remember to set all your settings manually in settings from app drawer.

Last edited:

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
Release notes and screenshots

Debloat and Regular August 2014 builds
Screenshot_2014-08-02-17-53-10.png

Screenshot_2014-08-02-17-55-50.png

BETA 0.75 NOTES:
1. To get Adobe flash working you need to move it from /Data/Apps to your download folder using root browser.

2. During the initial Samsung setup, the retrieve information from Samsung does not work. Just select cancel and move on with setup.

Beta Download

BETA 0.75 Screenshots
Screenshot_2014-06-12-02-47-43.jpg

Screenshot_2014-06-12-02-36-22.jpg

Last edited:

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
The alpha build seems to flash well. This is the only time I plan on having alpha or beta builds. Unless I make major changes.

I made a custom bootscreen.
I am thinking I might just place Nova Launcher in as the replacement for touchwiz home. As soon as I make up my mind on apps and launcher I will post the beta download link.

Sent from my I337 ATT Galaxy S4. NB1 rooted with Galaxy S5 apps.

zambeezi

Sep 9, 2013
The alpha build seems to flash well. This is the only time I plan on having alpha or beta builds. Unless I make major changes.

I am thinking I might just place Nova Launcher in as the replacement for touchwiz home. As soon as I make up my mind on apps and launcher I will post the beta download link.

Looking forward to flashing your rom.
PS: I'm not a brave soul, so I'm waiting for 01/07 :fingers-crossed:

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
I have suddenly been busy lately and have not made much progress on the theming. I might continue work on that and put it in a future rom and leave the Samsung look for now with no touchwiz. I'm still making minor tweaks so it is not 100% stock.

I will have a Beta download link posted by Saturday. Yes anyone will be able to download and flash it. I need more feedback.

Edit: Had it ready in less than one night. Just a few more things to work on.

Last edited:
M

moonbutt74

requests

cag,

downloading for testing now.
my request list [for your kind and thoughtful consideration] is as follows;

1- improved experience from command line/terminal [some roms the term does not hold to working directory and wrong busybox version]
2- a seperate gapps and bloat package
3- the removal of all wizards for an out of the box boot to desktop experience
4- maybe a pre-adblocked host file ?
5- include quickpic and jota free version

thanks for reading and i will post if i find something helpful.

m

okay so,
everything seems mostly good
please change default wallpaper, maybe a frame from boot animation?
when bash i get precmd not found
my own taste in keyboard is hacker's keyboard
userdata dissapears after flash, reappears on restore of daily driver, just a directory preference i guess, no big thing
just point it out in op
same kernel as grievous so didn't che k otg, assume it's good.
some widgets [picuri ram, particularly] don't load correctly till reboot
terminal hang till reboot, figured superuser just being cranky, default set for allow with su nonag would be nice.
what mods made to nova launcher?
if i come up with anything else i'll post.

m

Last edited:

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
THANK YOU for the feedback!:victory::good:

I will consider making 2 packages 1 with and 1 without bloat. Unfortunatly as much as I like the idea of an ad blocker, a lot of developers depend on those ads for income. I prefer to let the user choose to place that.

Ihave been looking for keyboards. I will look at hacker's. Ihave noticed the terminal issue. I am currently working on the wallpaper. Ihad some issues with it earlier in the week that had me take down the link. Ihave not made any mods to Nova launcher yet.

Do you use bluetooth? Ihave a bluetooth keyboard that I use with it and as you may notice some of my words don't space out. It continually disconnects and reconnects. Iam not sure if it is the bluetooth or my keyboard.

I am considring a fresh start from the stock backup I made. To resolve some issues Imade.

Thank you for your feedback. This is my first ROM and so it is a learning experience for me. I feel like learning here before Itry other devices.

EDIT: Iam guessing it was the picture frame widget that was unable to display correctly until a reboot. Ihave tried to recreate the issue several times but it seems to work every time for me. If you could give me more information Iwill try to look into it more.

Last edited:

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
My device won't turn on or charge at the moment. I was flashing some builds to it last night and it worked fine. Put stock back on it and went to sleep. Battery was at 60%. Woke up and it won't power on or charge.

I will continue to build. But unless I can get my tab working, I will be working blind. Anyone want to test builds for me? I will let you know of what changes I am looking for in each one.

Reactions: TruclasMadness
M

moonbutt74

testing/device surgery

My device won't turn on or charge at the moment. I was flashing some builds to it last night and it worked fine. Put stock back on it and went to sleep. Battery was at 60%. Woke up and it won't power on or charge.

I will continue to build. But unless I can get my tab working, I will be working blind. Anyone want to test builds for me? I will let you know of what changes I am looking for in each one.

i'm good for testing :good:

on device- you boned your kernel, when you plug your power cable in the kernel kicks on and gets the charger stuff going.
mess that up = no charge/dead device/not bricked. happened to me on bad sbf with droid2. you need a spare cable,
clip it,strip it, find pos&neg on cable, open device, find pos&neg on battery, tie them in, double check you have it right,
THEN plug cable into charger, and only for a few minutes [10 tops]. you only need enough charge to get to odin mode
and flash stock kernel. you can shorten the process by setting up the jumpstart first then connecting your cable by
regular means and odin while you have a live power source. should take 3 or 4 minutes tops. be careful, be wise, use the force.

afterthought- search for and check out some teardowns for your device first to get
familiar with things.

m

Last edited:

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
I had suspicions that I might have. I have been foolishly optimistic about a simple fix though. I have been on YouTube marathons about teardowns.

Funny thing is I used to work on hardware a lot until a few years ago when I decided I hated working with these new devices. I enjoyed the old pop the screws off and go approach. Lol

M

moonbutt74

teardown

I had suspicions that I might have. I have been foolishly optimistic about a simple fix though. I have been on YouTube marathons about teardowns.

Funny thing is I used to work on hardware a lot until a few years ago when I decided I hated working with these new devices. I enjoyed the old pop the screws off and go approach. Lol

cag,

this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2593766
you're looking for the battery connect to the board.
m

Last edited:

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
Got it. I will PM you a link later for a build. Since I'm into the deep now. Lol

EDIT: And it is alive. And charging. Apparently I just had to disconnect the battery and reconnect. What a relief.

Attachments

• 1403118599708.jpg
    1403118599708.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

CAG-man

Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ohio
www.cag-creations.com
The project has been on hold for about a week. I am moving everything I have onto a new desktop which doubles my resources. I have copied all my information off my windows laptop to this new system, and now I will transfer everything over from my Linux laptop, which is where I have the Cagrom files. I plan to be back to normal by Monday. I am looking for another good storage device to. I am looking for 3TB or more that I can actually afford.

I will set a new goal for July 15 to have a good rom by. By good rom I mean a rom that meets my expectations and differentiates itself from others.

Thank you.

Reactions: Truballa11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CAGrom

See new DEV DB thread. Thank you
    Test build for GT-P5200 COMING SOON!
    Looking for two testers to download, flash, and provide feedback as I do not have access to a P5200.

Current "stable" builds for P5210 only. P5200 test build coming soon.

Two builds. One is mostly debloated, and the other is a modified TouchWiz ROM. Each one is listed below. Thank you.

As with all ROMs. Do a backup first, and as always there is always a chance of your device bricking.
    Screenshots in build notes by version in post 2

Based off of the files @Restl3ss posted for the stock 5210 and 5200 Deodexed rooted roms:
    GT-P5210 Deodexed
    GT-P5200 Deodexed

NOTE: Allow Play Store to update Google Chrome prior to first use. If you don't it will only force quit until you do. This is a bug I am trying to squash. Whether I replace the file with a newer version or not

Features of both Debloated and Regular:
    Rooted
    Deodexed
    Epic Android L Launcher by Nikao
    JRummy's Root Browser
    Titanium backup
    Lean Data ( I have found this little tool to be the best way to save battery)

Goals:
    Custom Theming
    Faster performance
    Suggestions and ideas welcome.

See Release Notes and Screenshots in Post 2.
    Change log in Post 3.

Flashing Instructions: Fully tested with Angel666 TWRP recovery
    In TWRP
    BACKUP your current rom
    Factory Reset
    Install zip.
    Wait 10 minutes. (usually take 4 to 5 on first start)
    Enjoy

Regular CAGrom

DOWNLOAD REGULAR HERE

Debloated CAGrom
    Revision 1 -- 3 August 2014
    DOWNLOAD DEBLOAT HERE

Debloated notes:
    This is not 100% debloated, and I have added a few apps. Root browser and Titanium are available for your convenience.
    • On first start it will ask which launcher you want. Choose TouchWiz to initiate the home button then switch to Epic if you want to try it. Let Google Play update Chrome prior to first use. It will force close, if you don't.
    • Some minor bugs and issues.
    • Remember to set all your settings manually in settings from app drawer.
    Release notes and screenshots

Debloat and Regular August 2014 builds
    Screenshot_2014-08-02-17-53-10.png

Screenshot_2014-08-02-17-55-50.png

BETA 0.75 NOTES:
    1. To get Adobe flash working you need to move it from /Data/Apps to your download folder using root browser.

2. During the initial Samsung setup, the retrieve information from Samsung does not work. Just select cancel and move on with setup.

Beta Download

BETA 0.75 Screenshots
    Screenshot_2014-06-12-02-47-43.jpg

Screenshot_2014-06-12-02-36-22.jpg

CHANGE LOG

CAGrom Regular
    1.0 Initial release

CAGrom Debloat
    1.0 Revision 1
    Add Touchwiz home and Stock browser back in to fix bugs

1.0 Initial release
    I will get some up shortly. I got that done late late last night.

As a description it still looks very stock. The only noticeable difference is Nova Launcher instead of Touchwiz home.