[Kernel] SimpleKernel 1.40 (stock 4.1.2 kernel + backlight mods + voodoo*)

Search This thread

AeroEchelon

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto, ON
www.twitter.com
Thanks for the kernel! Installed in on Pete's BB ROM and haven't noticed any drop in performance as his kernel is great as well. But like you said, I've been missing out on BLD as I usually keep my phone on my desk and it's nice to see the LED notification just in case you didn't hear the sound!

Regarding NSTools, I think NSTools is just fine for setting it the min frequency to 100 MHz. After the v1.6 update, NSTools allows its settings to activate via init.d so it's just as good as a script. Also handy if you need Missed Call notification.

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
Thanks for the kernel! Installed in on Pete's BB ROM and haven't noticed any drop in performance as his kernel is great as well. But like you said, I've been missing out on BLD as I usually keep my phone on my desk and it's nice to see the LED notification just in case you didn't hear the sound!

Regarding NSTools, I think NSTools is just fine for setting it the min frequency to 100 MHz. After the v1.6 update, NSTools allows its settings to activate via init.d so it's just as good as a script. Also handy if you need Missed Call notification.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. I'm using the same rom and kernel combo, and setting just with scripts.. And missed call notification works fine.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

punkeroso

Jul 14, 2009
Rome
As far as I can read, there is no way to have the BLN working also for missed calls without installing an external tool, at least on stock rom.
Am I wrong?

Emama

Jul 30, 2010
As far as I can read, there is no way to have the BLN working also for missed calls without installing an external tool, at least on stock rom.
Am I wrong?

Yes, it works in some rom, but not all.
I am using stock and I install BLN pro for missed call notification work

madd0g

May 8, 2010
I bet it works in ROM's with T9 dialer and not on stock dialer. T9 , since it's a custom build was customised to invoke LED. I speculate that because it works on CM9 with it's own "BLN" implementation.

waterface

Jan 17, 2011
Building the 4.0.4 kernel right now.

I'll have a look at adding a version with a few extra mods (touchwake) that are commonly requested, and adding some extra modules (utf8, tun, others?).

Hey terryhau, still "waiting" for that Touch Wake addition.

Just a reminder, I really don't mean to bother you! :)

Last edited:

leap_ahead

Jul 2, 2009
i use this [ROM][STOCK][IMM76D] Official OTA ICS 4.0.4 for GSM Nexus S (CWM Flashable version) with simple kernel 1.20 anyone know if i must install busybox or is include in this tom ..thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SimpleKernel 1.40
    As stock as possible

I like things pretty stock, but couldn't live without BLN, so I built this kernel for myself, but thought others might find it to their liking. The point of this kernel is to not be fully modded out. Apart from the backlight mods, it's pretty much stock.

I'm sure almost everyone knows what these mods are, but for those that don't:
    BLN (Backlight Notifications): Since the Nexus S has no notification LED, this mod allows the 4 soft-button lights to act as a notification LED.
    BLD (Backlight Dimmer): Normally, the 4 soft-button lights are always on as long as the screen is on. This mod will turn off the button lights after a set delay if they haven't been pressed.

Changes from stock:
    • BLN (Backlight Notifications)
    • BLD (Backlight Dimmer)
    • CIFS module
    • Init.d (requires busybox to work; use busybox installer from market)
    • Insecure (ro.secure=0)
    • Voodoo (*optional)

Based on stock kernel android-samsung-3.0-jb-mr0
    https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/samsung.git

Backlight mods by Neldar, Akent, Morfic, Ezekeel
    https://github.com/Ezekeel/GLaDOS-nexus-s-ics

Voodoo by Supercurio, project-voodoo
    https://github.com/project-voodoo

Configuration:
    To configure BLN/BLD, edit the file /system/etc/init.d/88backlight and change the numbers after "echo". If you modify the script in Android, make sure it has execute permissions (chmod 0755). It looks like this:
    Code:
    # ---------- BLN (Backlight Notification) ----------
    # Enabled (0 - Disable; 1 - Enable)
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightnotification/enabled
    # Blink (0 - Disable; 1 - Enable)
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightnotification/in_kernel_blink
    # Blink Interval (time in milliseconds between blinking ON and OFF)
    echo 500 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightnotification/blink_interval
    # Max Blink Count (number of times to blink before stopping; 0 - Indefinatly)
    echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightnotification/max_blink_count

# ---------- BLD (Backlight Dimmer) ----------
    # Enabled (0 - Disable; 1 - Enable)
    echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightdimmer/enabled
    # Delay (in milliseconds)
    echo 30000 > /sys/devices/virtual/misc/backlightdimmer/delay

Notes:
    BusyBox is required for the init.d script to work, which enables the mods. Use BusyBox installer from market to install BusyBox.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.busybox.installer&hl=en
    Run the app, press install, and then you can uninstall the installer.

Otherwise, you can use an app such as NSTools to enable.

Changelog:
    SimpleKernel 1.40 (18th October 2012)
    • Updated kernel to stock 4.1.2.
    SimpleKernel 1.32 (21th July 2012)
    • Updated kernel to stock 4.1.1.
    SimpleKernel 1.30-1.31 (20st April 2012)
    • Broken releases, due to outdated kernel source
    SimpleKernel 1.20 (1st April 2012)
    • Updated kernel to stock 4.0.4.
    • Built md4 into kernel instead of as module (required for CIFS)
    SimpleKernel 1.11 (4th January 2012)
    • Removed a bunch of modules. For some reason the default kernel config builds a bunch of modules for TV tuners. I assume this was a mistake (OTA rom/kernel doesn't have these) so I removed them.
    SimpleKernel 1.1 (4th January 2012)
    • Updated BLN (blink interval and blink limit added) Thanks to Ezekeel
    SimpleKernel 1.0 (31st December 2011)
    • Initial release

For Nexus S i9020T/i9023 Stock ICS 4.1.2:
    Updated to 4.1.1.
    Building the 4.0.4 kernel right now.

I'll have a look at adding a version with a few extra mods (touchwake) that are commonly requested, and adding some extra modules (utf8, tun, others?).
    As promised, I've added a version with voodoo. Though I haven't tested it, so let me know if it doesn't work.
    Okay, the 4.0.4 kernel is up.

great!!!! please add voodoo-color fix!

Any idea where I can find the patch for the fix?