[Q] FM + TV on AOSP?

Search This thread

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
Hi everybody,
I like the FM and TV apps. They replace two rather clunky devices. I also like ROMs like PAC, AOKP and CM. None of which have the former.
Is there a (preferably free) way to get TV and FM on AOSP roms? Or is there something like closed source drivers preventing this?
I tried Spirit FM, it didn't work.

Thanks,
sauprankul

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
I don't think the FM radio app works on aosp. I do know that tunein radio works. Its an FM radio but runs through the network connection. Its not exactly what you were looking for but it may help.

I know that the app doesn't work, but I was hoping for a mod or app that would replace it.
Tunein isn't as clear and Sprint doesn't have very good coverage around here (yet, they say).
Oh well.

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Outside of Asia and a prototype or 2, there are no "over the air" TV chips in Android devices, AFAICT.

A few people have reported my FM app works OK on HTC One. And at least one said it didn't work. AFAIK, my app Spirit is the only non stock app that will work (for "real" over the air FM), and I've heard no indication that will change anytime soon.

The Sprint HTC One has a stock FM app, right ?

I will likely buy and officially support the HTC One within a few months.

tkoreaper

Jan 13, 2011
Outside of Asia and a prototype or 2, there are no "over the air" TV chips in Android devices, AFAICT.

A few people have reported my FM app works OK on HTC One. And at least one said it didn't work. AFAIK, my app Spirit is the only non stock app that will work (for "real" over the air FM), and I've heard no indication that will change anytime soon.

The Sprint HTC One has a stock FM app, right ?

I will likely buy and officially support the HTC One within a few months.

I don't think the OP was referring to an "over-the-air" TV app, but rather the TV app on stock HTC ONEs that basically turn your phone into a remote.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
I don't think the OP was referring to an "over-the-air" TV app, but rather the TV app on stock HTC ONEs that basically turn your phone into a remote.

OP can clarify but when he says "...way to get TV..." it certainly sounds like he's asking for an OTA TV type app.

For TV etc. remote control, there ARE several apps on Play, and I think at least one of them works with the HTC One specific IR blaster hardware.

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
Oops, my bad.
I meant the app named TV, which allows me to use the IR blaster. I looked it up on the play store, only got apps that used network, links?
And I thought I had posted this a while back, but I get no audio from Spirit FM. (I'll try it again?) EDIT: Yeah, no audio... Am I supposed to let it scan networks or wait for it to tune or something?

Last edited:
R

Rirere

OP can clarify but when he says "...way to get TV..." it certainly sounds like he's asking for an OTA TV type app.

For TV etc. remote control, there ARE several apps on Play, and I think at least one of them works with the HTC One specific IR blaster hardware.

I don't think the hardware is the problem, but rather the lack of IR support in AOSP.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Oops, my bad.
I meant the app named TV, which allows me to use the IR blaster. I looked it up on the play store, only got apps that used network, links?

Here's one of the IR apps on Play (more if you follow "Users who viewed this also viewed") : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microcontrollerbg.irdroid

App description says "Uses and needs external Irdroid module" and indicates it's a port of LIRC.

IR ports and their drivers are relatively simple, compared to audio, graphics, FM, etc.

So I'll bet that somebody will find/build an HTC One AOSP IR solution in the next 3-6 months. I've briefly considered it myself, but there are enough apps out there already IMO for when drivers become available.

BTW, I got the app link from this good thread about things missing from the coming Nexus Experience version: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...tc-camera-features-and-no-beats-audio-switch/

My impression right now is that HTC One sales are doing better than many of us expected. The Nexus Experience thing has convinced me that I'll be getting one soon. And Samsung GS4 sales seem lower than expected. I think HTC One is "stealing" some GS4 sales.

My point is that I think HTC One XDA/custom ROM and apps development will do well, and solutions for IR and some other Sense related features will be found.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
And I thought I had posted this a while back, but I get no audio from Spirit FM. (I'll try it again?) EDIT: Yeah, no audio... Am I supposed to let it scan networks or wait for it to tune or something?

AOSP based ROM ?

I've had a few HTC One success reports, but I think on stock ROM where the "HTC" Audio-> Method setting talks to the HTC proprietary audio stuff.

Send me a debug log with Menu-> Test-> Email-> Logs . After 20 seconds or so press Send.

There may be some simple ALSA controls to set to enable FM audio. But often I have to get a phone in my hands and spend some time on it before learning the FM audio enable secrets.

If this phone were using the Qualcomm WCN3660 FM/combo chips, like the Qualcomm reference designs used in One X LTE, One S and similar devices, then the "HTC OneS/X LTE ALSA" Audio-> Method would work, as well as "Digital OneXL/S".

AFAIR, this phone DOES use the reference WDC9310 audio chip, but the Qualcomm FM chip has special audio connections that I'm pretty sure the Broadcom BCM4335 FM/combo chip does not.

My guess is that HTC added some special FM audio controls to the WDC9310 driver. EDIT: OK someone sent me a debug log from a rooted One, I'll look to find new FM controls.

tkoreaper

Jan 13, 2011
Here's one of the IR apps on Play (more if you follow "Users who viewed this also viewed") : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microcontrollerbg.irdroid

App description says "Uses and needs external Irdroid module" and indicates it's a port of LIRC.

IR ports and their drivers are relatively simple, compared to audio, graphics, FM, etc.

So I'll bet that somebody will find/build an HTC One AOSP IR solution in the next 3-6 months. I've briefly considered it myself, but there are enough apps out there already IMO for when drivers become available.

BTW, I got the app link from this good thread about things missing from the coming Nexus Experience version: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...tc-camera-features-and-no-beats-audio-switch/

My impression right now is that HTC One sales are doing better than many of us expected. The Nexus Experience thing has convinced me that I'll be getting one soon. And Samsung GS4 sales seem lower than expected. I think HTC One is "stealing" some GS4 sales.

My point is that I think HTC One XDA/custom ROM and apps development will do well, and solutions for IR and some other Sense related features will be found.

I'm sure the ONE isn't doing much to hinder sales of the S4. If you take into consideration that the S3 and S4 release dates are roughly a year apart not many people are available to upgrade let alone fork out the full price for the phone. People tend to pick brands and stick with them.

Also, according to Wikipedia, "Upon its release (S4), it became the fastest selling smartphone in Samsung's history, with 10 million devices sold as of May 22, 2013, according to Samsung." AND "the One sold around 5 million units through its first two months of worldwide availability.[" So I don't know where this stigma comes that HTC is dominating Samsung right now. I'm assuming it's just pure fanboy-ism.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
So I don't know where this stigma comes that HTC is dominating Samsung right now. I'm assuming it's just pure fanboy-ism.

There isn't any, AFAIK. Samsung is still top dog. Just with a LITTLE less domination than was expected, and HTC doing a bit better than many expected for them. HTC has lost a LOT of market share in 2 years, now I think they've climbed back (just a bit !) from the precipice.

My very non-scientific survey of the front page of XDA forums seems to show about twice as much activity for all S4 variants, versus all One variants. One activity should have an edge because it came out first though...

Against the S4's expected dominance, I think a 2:1 activity ratio means the One is clearly among the most popular new devices, despite enthusiast complaints about non-removable battery and no SDCard.

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
For FM:

- AFAICT, the people who reported success with Spirit on HTC One were running stock ROMs.

On stock derived ROMs, deny SU to Spirit or better yet, set Debug-> FM API to "OEM Proprietary" and restart Spirit. If the stock FM app can work, then Spirit should be able to work this way.

Debug-> Audio Focus should be enabled, but this is done automatically on recent Spirit releases.

- I've taken a quick look at the ALSA audio driver differences. Digital FM audio is I think possible, using some HTC One specific ALSA controls intended for Bluetooth. I will need a phone and time to figure this out. I'm not sure there is even an analog FM route available; it may be digital only.

If there's a service manual and/or schematic, I'd be interested to see.

- Even without audio, I'm not sure Spirit can control the FM/combo chip on AOSP ROMs or using low level stuff. The code that works an many old and new Broadcom chips directly via "UART" does not work on this BCM4335.

Maybe it could work if Bluetooth were turned on and/or Spirit has Debug-> HCI Access set to "BT Socket".

EDIT: Actually someone just emailed me running CM10.1 and the FM chip control works through UART.

Overall, I just have to get this phone to make it work well. Usually I get new phones on Ebay from Hong Kong or US vendors. But in this case I think I'd be better to buy one locally for $650 plus taxes. I'd buy an HTC dev phone, but they only sell to US and I think the same will be true, at least initially, for the coming Google Nexus Experience phone. And... I've been reading the One has S-Off and even carrier SIM unlock now (?)...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts