Fixing GPS problems Thread

Search This thread

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
no, at the moment I leave my WiFi zone, it begins with the unstable GPS connection. Very strange...

How are you monitoring the status? I think if you use a app that shows status continuously like GPS Status, you will see that it's losing lock even when you have wifi, but with wifi the AGPS assist helps with a faster re-acquire.

Kudzus

Nov 10, 2010
Just Testing

Don’t know if this means anything or will help in anyway.
I’ve done more testing with my flyer running Glolatron latest clean install
With wifi on I get between 8 and 10 satellites with some fluctuation but completely useable. By that I mean it will jump around on the number of connected sats from 8 to 10
Turn wifi off and it will do as others have stated and drop connections.
Leave wifi off and reboot and it will lock on with 12 sats rock solid and not fluctuate.
Strange … it seems as the wifi radio interferes somewhat with GPS

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
Wifi US-BB
How are you monitoring the status? I think if you use a app that shows status continuously like GPS Status, i think you will see that it's losing lock even when you have wifi, but with wifi the AGPS assist helps with a faster re-acquire as it should.
But I have tried Globaltron's B10 wifi and a couple of the custom ROMs including coolext's and they all behave the same way , dropping lock every few second wifi or no wifi . They all look good for about two minutes on cold start, then begin the lost lock cycling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kudzus

Kudzus

Nov 10, 2010
Wifi US-BB
How are you monitoring the status? I think if you use a app that shows status continuously like GPS Status, i think you will see that it's losing lock even when you have wifi, but with wifi the AGPS assist helps with a faster re-acquire as it should.
But I have tried Globaltron's B10 wifi and a couple of the custom ROMs including coolext's and they all behave the same way , dropping lock every few second wifi or no wifi . They all look good for about two minutes on cold start, then begin the lost lock cycling.

Yes I’m using GPS Status. I had problems until I did a full wipe and clean install.

grippa

Feb 26, 2008
UK
With wifi on I get between 8 and 10 satellites with some fluctuation but completely useable. By that I mean it will jump around on the number of connected sats from 8 to 10
Leave wifi off and reboot and it will lock on with 12 sats rock solid and not fluctuate.

I think you're on to something here. I've also noticed that the GPS drop occurs around every 15 secs (GPS status app). In the build.prop, wifi.supplicant_scan_interval is also set to 15. This is the wifi refresh/scan interval. I wonder if there's any relation to this.

I'm going to change the wifi.supplicant_scan_interval to probably 300 and will report back later.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Btw - I can confirm this ^^. Wifi radio seems to be getting in the way.

*UPDATE: I changed the wifi interval to 300, then drops were less frequent. mostly at 30 sec intervals and sometimes at 60 secs.

Last edited:

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
I'm beginning to think this is almost random due to the various reports of what affects it. Here are my latest findings after reading other reports I tried a few things , but my findings seem to conflict with other reports so nothing is certain.

Setup:
US BB WIfi Flyer : Upgraded to HC using GLobaltron's B10 Wifi over GB rooted. S-OFF
Roms : GLobaltron's B10 Wifi and coolexe's HoneySense
Turned off screen timeout so it does not interfere
Using GPS Status app to monitor GPS lock.

Findings:
Same for both ROMs;

Flyer running on battery, no external power
1. Changing wifi scan interval has no effect. Tried 15 , 150 ,300, 1500, with reboot, same results Lock acquired, then stable for a couple of minutes , then begins lock /unlock cycle
2. Turning off and on wifi has no effect except at cold start GPS lock is acquired faster with wifi due to GPS assist. (AGPS). Lock acquired, then stable for a couple of minutes , then begins lock /unlock cycle
3. Attach charger power to Flyer
HUmmmmmmm : everything stabilizes. Lock stays once acquired . Turning wifi on or off has no effect.

I'm not saying this is a definitive cause, it is perhaps a clue. Because we are getting varying reports and sometimes conflicting information, all bets are off and we could very possibly be completely missing the real cause because we are being mislead by what we think we see.

Reactions: IP IHI II IL

timropp

Apr 1, 2009
Previously, loading the US WiFi rom gave me working GPS. I've since flashed a bunch of other roms multiple times. Yesterday I reloaded the US WiFi rom via the ARU Wizard. GPS is not working now. It's just as bad as on any other rom based off the non-us base.

Then I tried wiping everything I could via recovery (data, cache, etc). Installed the US WiFi again. Same problem. Weird...

Kudzus

Nov 10, 2010
Previously, loading the US WiFi rom gave me working GPS. I've since flashed a bunch of other roms multiple times. Yesterday I reloaded the US WiFi rom via the ARU Wizard. GPS is not working now. It's just as bad as on any other rom based off the non-us base.

Then I tried wiping everything I could via recovery (data, cache, etc). Installed the US WiFi again. Same problem. Weird...

Did you try this? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21219299&postcount=24
If not it may be worth trying

Droff

Dec 7, 2010
Working fine here.
USA BB Wifi only Flyer.

Flashed from GB to HC using Globatron's guide.
S-OFF, originally upgraded with the WIFI package. Software number 3.55.405.1. I believe it was built from 3G package. Used PG41IMG-WIFI-B09.zip file for upgrade.

Hope this helps.

grippa

Feb 26, 2008
UK
finally gave up on the flyer and exchanged it to a xoom. only £50 extra with the price reduction, byebye gps problems and hello ICS!

abifar

Sep 29, 2005
any news how to fix gps

Hi ,
I was reading and did whatever people suggest here, like reinstalling different rom , back to GB and reinstall , clean cashes .... But still GPS does not lock .
I am on US BB Flyer, S-OF and Leedroid HC .
Is there any fix out there yet ?

MattG987

Oct 3, 2011
Hi ,
I was reading and did whatever people suggest here, like reinstalling different rom , back to GB and reinstall , clean cashes .... But still GPS does not lock .
I am on US BB Flyer, S-OF and Leedroid HC .
Is there any fix out there yet ?

So, as far as I can tell, this issue still has not been resolved?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    no, it's not hboot.
    Had trouble with my US Wifi Flyer, S-OFF, originally upgraded with the WIFI package built from 3.55.405.1. Updated that to us OTA package and still had trouble.

Started all over downgraded to GB then went straight to Globatron’s latest (the big file)
    Working now
    I have the US wifi flyer. S-Off, installed the 3.55.405.1 3G package followed by Leedroid rom. GPS was no good. Went back to the 3.55.405.1 3G package (from nandroid backup) and GPS no good.

Then installed the US WiFi rom. GPS is fine. Installed Leedroid and GPS is still fine.
    Referring to DigitalMD's post above

I have the BestBuy WiFi 16GB Flyer
    I purshed it stock and took the OTA HC update.
    Over the last two days I have since Rooted S-Off and am running Globatron's US Wifi RUU build.

Before I rooted my GPS did not maintain lock. It was symptomatic like your findings.
    After I rooted and flashed HC, GPS was still symptomatic.

I have since edited the /system/etc/gps.conf folder.
    The first string of text by default is:
    NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org
    I have changed it to read:
    NTP_SERVER=us.pool.ntp.org

I used Root Explore and long pressed the gps.conf file and selected open in text editor. Make and save changes and reboot.

Having owned the HTC Thunderbolt, that device was plagued with similar GPS issues and this was a fix that was offered up in other threads here at XDA.
    ok, from there can you try the Stock(original) WIFI RUU from the Stock ROMs thread?

It is definitely not related to S-OFF, but there are some modifications to my RUU, obviously with the unsecured boot image and busybox being installed it's not 100% stock.

It should be in every way stock then except for the S-OFF hboot if you run the RUU.

yeah i'm not entirely sure whats going on. anyways, i just did a fastboot erase boot/system/userdata/cache and flashed the stock RUU 3.55.1114.31.

will do a GPS test on the way back home and report back. gonna get back to work now! wasted pretty much all day flashing.

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

lost S-OFF after that re-flash.