Test the Touchpad

Search This thread

svenk919

Oct 12, 2008
Enschede
From the SE developers world site you can download the files I added as an attachment in .zip format. They help devs on their way to develop for the xperia play and belong together with the following: http://developer.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/921/870/1297178992/Accessing_Touch%20Events.pdf

Which I think would be perfect to see how acurate the touchpads really are.

I managed to compile the code from Sony Ericson (my first app/program I ever compiled for android and one of the first in my live :p ) and added the .apk as an attachment. this is based on the code in the TouchpadNA.zip file.

Personally I was suprised with how acurate it was and found out it's actually 1 big multitouchpad. It detects 2 seperate fingers max but that could be a limitation from this software. The software also detects fingers on the touchscreen (up to 4).

Edit2: Used new icons and did some version numbering, maybe going to improve the app in the future (like testing all other buttons so you can maybe see input lag, but not sure about it). The codes are still the original from SE.

Edit3: Now shows up in the xperia play game launcher!

Attachments

• TouchpadNA.zip
    53.3 KB · Views: 687
  • TouchpadNAGlue.zip
    42 KB · Views: 238
  • TouchpadNAJava.zip
    49.3 KB · Views: 252
  • TouchpadTest-0.2.apk
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,785
Last edited:

Dousan

Aug 9, 2010
Copenhagen
Nice little app :)
Just tested the touchpads to see if they did work... Hey and they do :-D
Wich games do they actually work in, cause they're not implemented in fpse yet?

Logseman

Nov 22, 2010
Tenerife
logseman.svbtle.com
I think you'd do a great thing if you keep developing this. This could be the beginning for a sweet bundle of custom apps (such as Zoop57's camera mod) which would really enhance the value of our XPlays.

I assume we're good to go installing the APK?

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
My biggest disapoint with the play is devs dont treat the touch pads like analogue sticks, even on rainbow 6 and nova you have to aim with swipes rather than using it like a stick on my xbox pad (if you get what i mean) lol

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

svenk919

Oct 12, 2008
Enschede
The apk is good to install yes. Just select it with something like root explorer or just open it in a mail on your device, you do have to select somewhere in the options to allow apps from outside the market.

Since I'm not very good with coding I don't think I can improve much (all the code is from SE). I do wonder why SE didn;t put this in the service menu though.

@AndroHero
I to find that bothersome, walking goes fine but for aiming we need to sweep :/

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011
My biggest disapoint with the play is devs dont treat the touch pads like analogue sticks, even on rainbow 6 and nova you have to aim with swipes rather than using it like a stick on my xbox pad (if you get what i mean) lol

I was actually thinking of writing to gameloft to request this. If the analog touchsticks played like all analog sticks, games would be much better.

I think it is gameloft rather than sony here, since the "look" touchstick is simply emulating a swipe on a touchscreen.

This DEFINATELY needs to be fixed if fps games are going to be taken more seriously on the sexplay.

AndroHero

May 28, 2010
Manchester
I was actually thinking of writing to gameloft to request this. If the analog touchsticks played like all analog sticks, games would be much better.

I think it is gameloft rather than sony here, since the "look" touchstick is simply emulating a swipe on a touchscreen.

This DEFINATELY needs to be fixed if fps games are going to be taken more seriously on the sexplay.

Funny that i was thinking of starting a thread in the gameloft forum about the same thing, the touchpad test proves that both thumpads can emulate analogue stick perfectly fine to be implimented into games.

dsswoosh

Feb 6, 2011
Funny that i was thinking of starting a thread in the gameloft forum about the same thing, the touchpad test proves that both thumpads can emulate analogue stick perfectly fine to be implimented into games.

If you make a thread, post the link and i will support you.

Im fairly certain Gameloft make the "look" analog stick function this way due to basically "copy and paste" code from touchscreen to analog stick.

The "movement" stick works properly like a proper analog stick, but the "swipe style look movement" on the "look" stick needs to be programmed to properly work like an analog stick and not emulate the touchscreen swipe.

Last edited:

yoyoman2

Apr 13, 2009
Wow, this is extremely impressive!

I have a question though, what exactly did you have to do to make the application show up in the Xperia Play's Game Launcher?

GetPatriotized

Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
many gameloft games like MC2 already have this functionality built in. Change the control scheme from analog/swipe or swipe/swipe to analog/analog. You won't likely live to regret it in online play, its abysmal. But as I said in the other forum, to each his own.

Where are those options?!?!? :S It doesn't even show the Xperia Play controls :S

In MC2,is it laggy/slow for you? I just downloaded and quickly realized that this is a bad port :(

yoyoman2

Apr 13, 2009
He added a certain string to the app's APK file which labels it as "Xperia Play Optimised" content, thus showing in the Game Launcher.

Any idea what specific file that'd be added to and where? There's a couple developers I've been trying to help get their game Xperia Play Optimized and I'm feeding them every little bit of info I get.

EDIT: That and I'm thinking about moving some of my own projects to the Xperia Play.

ps3taker

May 4, 2011
London
Dear svenk919,

Thank you for this. Is the below possible to be developed?
How about the below idea

attachment.php

or
attachment.php

?

Tried to describe it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1187053

Maybe also making square PS key to backspace, triangle to shift (single press upper case next key, double press Caps Lock), X and Start buttons Enter, O and Select buttons spacebar. Unless Select button could be used to switch qwerty... row to numbers 1234... etc. Turning the touchpad into 2-mode keyboard, so main mode lettering could be printed in black on the touchscreen as above and secondary (numbers, symbols, etc) in grey next to them in grey and/or smaller size...

Menu button below PS directional ones to popup the built-in onscreen keyboard for numbers/symbols, etc input?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From the SE developers world site you can download the files I added as an attachment in .zip format. They help devs on their way to develop for the xperia play and belong together with the following: http://developer.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/921/870/1297178992/Accessing_Touch%20Events.pdf

Which I think would be perfect to see how acurate the touchpads really are.

I managed to compile the code from Sony Ericson (my first app/program I ever compiled for android and one of the first in my live :p ) and added the .apk as an attachment. this is based on the code in the TouchpadNA.zip file.

Personally I was suprised with how acurate it was and found out it's actually 1 big multitouchpad. It detects 2 seperate fingers max but that could be a limitation from this software. The software also detects fingers on the touchscreen (up to 4).

Edit2: Used new icons and did some version numbering, maybe going to improve the app in the future (like testing all other buttons so you can maybe see input lag, but not sure about it). The codes are still the original from SE.

Edit3: Now shows up in the xperia play game launcher!
    PDF link in the first post is broken. I add this PDF as an attachemnt.