[26/7][XXKG3] VillainROM 2.3 for SGS2 < The ROM Noonski couldn't drain the battery on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Thanks, man. Was kind of hoping that, wanted to see how the new radio faired before I flashed it.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I have the same experience with a lot of consumer grade hardware.

I honestly can't find the difference between 500 mhz on this rom, and 1.2 on stock...

I did a double blind test... I took my colleague's phone, and set his desktop to be mine, and vice versa, then switched the phones.

He was using it perfectly happily for an afternoon while I had his... then I told him, and gave him his back... He didn't comment on, or notice this... So I declare that in a sorta double blind test, he couldn't see a difference...

So I now give some official villainrom advice... Don't clock your sgs2 to silly speeds, just because you can... I doubt you can tell the difference between 500 conservative and 1.5 ondemand... So try it :) do you really need to extend your e-peen by overclocking? Yes, quadrant is higher, but no you don't notice it

@nobnut, the above not really directed at you, more trying to save others from the same fate...

I never tried to overclock a phone till the N1. It took some clock but I never could see any difference unless I benchmarked it. Eventually turned to playing with the clock for battery but on that one I found that enough underclock to gain real battery time effected performance in the gui (lag between home screens etc.) and over time came back pretty close to stock.

The first thing a more youthful version of myself toasted was a pentium. For you younger folks back then there were no fans on the cpu or motherboard or anything else in a pc except for the power supply. The cpu just had a big heatsink on it. When I say I smoked it BTW I mean I actually created fire. hehe Learned a wee bit of a lesson there. Between here and there were a few video cards, a laptop, a couple other cpu's. At any rate I'm no master overclocker but I have taken a lap or two and my thought here is that play around and sooner or later you will take that one extra step too many. Not a problem if you got no grief at the result but if you do or would then a person might want to reconsider. Not preaching, just been there.

Reactions: zebbi24

sexpest699

Oct 18, 2006
Tried several times to load email.apk and it tells me it can not install..

Can someone provide more info how to push it? I am not a noob, but I hardly ever used ADB push..

Thanks, and thanks for the 1.2 version. I am looking for better battery life.. mine sucked until now..:mad:

Using something like root explorer. Copy Apk's to location

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Cant recall if it was supercurio or chainfire that was saying there is an internal counter but that was said.

jorelleperds

Oct 29, 2010
Perth,WA
OK, just to make sure, I have to...
1) Be based on ANY KE7 ROM with CWM (so chainfire's kernel because that's the only one I know of that has CWM at the moment)
2) Format /system, /data, /cache and dalvik cache from CWM
3) Push/Copy the fixed apks to /system/app (I saw a post somewhere where it said /data/apk but I couldn't find it)

and also, do I have to be on full battery before I flash this? Do I need to reflash KE7 (or any other, stock or CF-Rooted) kernel after installation?

BMWpokerAce

Sep 3, 2010
www.sysprofile.de
Hey guys,

I am about to release the "Steel Blue CM7 Theme" soon for S2 but i need the

Frameworl-res.apk & SystemUI.apk from VillainROM 1.2.

Could someone plz upload it here?

THX

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
BigE said:
Tried several times to load email.apk and it tells me it can not install..

Can someone provide more info how to push it? I am not a noob, but I hardly ever used ADB push..

Thanks, and thanks for the 1.2 version. I am looking for better battery life.. mine sucked until now..:mad:

Ill put it on vrtweaks soon as I get to pc

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
krabman said:
Thanks, man. Was kind of hoping that, wanted to see how the new radio faired before I flashed it.

I am looking at it today.

I just don't like releasing a rom with stuff other than a pda...

You guys (figuratively) paid for a rom, so why should it mess with radio? :)

padlad

Jan 23, 2005
In case anyone was wondering, if you have used UOT Kitchen for villain 1.1, the same created update zip can be used with villain 1.2.

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
padlad said:
In case anyone was wondering, if you have used UOT Kitchen for villain 1.1, the same created update zip can be used with villain 1.2.

You will downgrade files by doing that. will work, just saying :)

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
evilive27 said:
Oh man this rom is amazing!!! So fast and smooth. Thank you so much

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

Good to hear it :)

I need to see if the new kernel makes it even better (which I suspect it might), and same for the radio...

Qliratu

Jun 14, 2009
Zevenaar
Wow, this rom looks very good so far.
Its fast and stable i havent had any hang-ups so far.
Cannot tel mutch about battery life jet (v1.2).

i have one issue, i cannot create any nandroid.

LyInIa

Mar 19, 2009
I don't understand, after copy/paste fixed app (with File experts), i can't found the email and the browser scrolling is laggy :/ Should I do "adb push browser.apk /system/app" ?

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Qliratu said:
Wow, this rom looks very good so far.
Its fast and stable i havent had any hang-ups so far.
Cannot tel mutch about battery life jet (v1.2).

i have one issue, i cannot create any nandroid.

Regarding lack of nandroid abilities... What is the problem? The rom was delayed due to an issue with cwm, preventing recovery loading right. Do you see any errors when loading recovery?

Anyone else? Btw don't panic if it's missing recovery.fstab , as I can fix that via vrtweaks, though it should work on the released version...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [26/7][XXKG3] VillainROM 2.3 for SGS2 < The ROM Noonski couldn't drain the battery on

Updated to version 2.4, go to the new thread - this one's too long...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1198334
    How to Flash VillainROM?

Step 1- flashing cf-root.
    - If you have already flashed cf-root then move onto step 2.

First things first, check what stock rom you are on, go to menu > settings > about and look for key phrases like "KE2" or "KE4" etc this is your kernel number. Make sure this is not the number in the "baseband" line as this is your MODEM version (radio) not kernel.

Then go to this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1103399 and download the kernel for the same version type as you just identified, once downloaded extract from the .zip so you have the .tar file.

Download ODIN if you have not already done so, also in that thread above and extract from the zip.

Install samsung KIES from this link (for drivers) - http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/m...softwaremanual.do?page=MOBILE.SOFTWARE.MANUAL

Once you have done all this power down your phone and then power back on in download mode. To do this you need to turn the phone on by pressing volume down, home and power all at the same time. You will get a screen asking you to press volume up to confirm.

Now plug your phone into your PC and let it install the drivers.

You are now ready to open ODIN.

Go to the "PDA" box and direct it to the .tar file of the CF-ROOT kernel you downloaded then hit "START". DO NOT TICK OR UNTICK ANY BOXES LEAVE IT AS IT WAS BY DEFAULT.

Once complete the phone will reboot, you can now unplug it, you have root on a stock rom.

Step 2- How to install VillainRom

WARNING, DOING THIS YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA (that includes apps and sms's, call logs etc etc) BACKUP OR BE PREPARED TO LOSE THEM

Download the latest VillainRom this is a .zip file DO NOT EXTRACT IT!!.

Plug your phone into your pc and place this .zip file onto the root of your internal (or external) SD card.

Once down, unmount, unplug from your PC and then turn off the phone.

Boot into ClockWorkMod recovery by powering on with volume UP, home and power held.

Go to BACKUP and run a backup

Once this is done go to "wipe data/factory reset" then do "wipe cache".

Now you need to go "Install Zip from SD" find your .zip file of VillainRom and flash.

Once complete you can reboot the phone, you will be on VillainRom.

If for some strange reason you get stuck into a boot loop (meaning its taking longer than 10 minutes to boot into the rom) you will need to hold power till the phone turns off, boot into CWM and repeat the wipe and flashing steps above.

Step 3 - Updating CF-ROOT Kernel

Now you are on VillainRom you will need to update the kernel to match the rom. At the time of writing this is the KG1 kernel (but check in IRC or on the rom post if your not sure). This time you will want to keep this as a .zip file.

First of all, install VRTweaks from http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4570-(updated)-VillainTweaks-v1.3.1-(29-May), and install it.

Place the CF-ROOT .zip file onto your phone and then open the "CWM" app, once open go to "flash kernel" and point it to that .zip file.

The phone will reboot.

STEP 4 (OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED) - UPDATE MODEM

Download the reccomended modem from the rom thread this will be a tar.md5 file DO NOT RENAME IT (it may be in a .zip, if so extract it)

Put your phone into download mode and open Odin.

Click "PHONE" and guide it to the tar.md5 file

Press Start

Phone will reboot and your done
    Frequently Asked Questions?

Thanks to geko95gek for helping to make this FAQ up. You can see the full FAQ at http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...ease-Read-Carefully-Before-Posting-Questions-!!

VillainROM for SGS2

Frequently asked questions about VillainROM for the SGS2

Q: After flashing this ROM, I am stuck on the VillainROM welcome screen.

A: Reboot into recovery (CWM) by turning off the phone, and holding down power + home + volume up. Now choose Wipe data/factory reset, and then re-install the ROM.

-----

Q: After flashing the stock kernel, I cannot use WiFi.

A: You need to reflash CF-Root kernel, in order to get WiFi working.

-----

Q: Where can I get VRTweaks from?

A: Here - VRTweaks

-----

Q: How can I remove the yellow triangle on boot?

A:

After flashing VR1.4, boot to system and install VRTweaks from here - VRTweaks.
    Run the VRTweaks app and Install the Symlink Fix, reboot.
    Now boot into Download Mode, flash any Stock kernel with ODIN. Wait for phone to reboot.
    Go into the CWM app and flash the zImage extracted from any CF-Root kernel zip/tar.
    Your phone should now reboot and voila, the triangle is gone.

Mini guide by geko95gek_xda

-----

Q: How do I flash a MODEM/Radio?

A: Flash it via ODIN, as a "PHONE" file. Do not rename the .tar.md5

-----

Q: After flashing VillainROM my browser is lagging, how can I fix it?

A: Download VRTweaks and apply the Browser fix, reboot phone.

-----

Q: Where do I find a CSC to restore T-9, Auto-Correct or to add additional Input Languages?

A: You have to get and flash a CSC package from here - Intratech's XDA Thread

-----
    Quadrant and some "other" ROMs

So it seems that a couple of ROM "chefs" thought it was a good idea to sneak in a script to cheat their quadrant benchmark results... Both Lite'ning ROM, and AngeloROM are giving deceiving quadrant scores.

Quadrant isn't an amazing benchmark for the SGS2, as it's not properly multi-threaded, but I think it's worth explanining what was going on here. Both of the named ROMs are using an init.d script to detect Quadrant, and mount its files to a ramdisk, meaning that IO performance is not being measured accurately. This can give the undiscerning user a very high Quadrant score (in excess of 6000 in some cases).

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. But it's essentially a sign that the maker of that ROM does not see fit to be honest with you. Can you trust someone who would rather boost their "e-peen" by deceiving you, rather than forego the e-peen extension, and instead be honest about the performance of your ROM.

Just think... If a ROM dev is happy to hide code to cheat Quadrant scores, and deceive you in that way, in what other ways might they also be deceiving you?

And for the avoidance of doubt, VillainROM does not, and will not, make use of dodgy "cheating" methods to fool you into thinking you have higher benchmark scores than you do... It's not cool, it's not something you expect to see from a "developer", who should be someone trustworthy, given the level of trust you are giving them by installing a ROM they make.
    So without further ado, VillainROM 2.3 can be downloaded from this linkhttp://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/s...nROM-2.3-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-(2.3.4-time)

If you are after a light version of the old VillainROM 2.0 by Gilg@mesh, download from http://www.multiupload.com/6OEDBEYO01

After installing, I recommend you flash the XXKG3 modem, which you can download from this link: http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4942-ROM-VillainROM-2.3-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-(2.3.4-time))

Got questions? Need help? Go to http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/IRC.php or get in touch with one of our helpful helpers (whose assistance in clearing the tidal waves of questions is very much appreciated)

geko95gek

(any other helpers wanting added, just get in touch with geko95gek or one of the VR guys on IRC (link above))