[GUIDE] Link2SD for Dummies | Samsung Galaxy Young

Search This thread

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
Link2SD for Dummies | Samsung Galaxy Young
NOTE:
I spent hours updating my guides and I don't ask you to press that THANKS button, be kind enough not to copy my guides to other forums. I know some noobs want to make a name on other forum boards... but hey, that's not an excuse!
UPDATES:
05-26-2012

• Added screenshots
  • Added list of compatible ROMS
  • Corrected some typos
REQUIREMENTS:

1. Link2SD [DOWNLOAD]
  2. Rooted Samsung Galaxy Young
  3. ROM that supports Link2SD
  4. SD Card with 2 partitions(FAT/FAT32 | EXT2/EXT3/EXT4)
Tested On:
STOCK:

• S5360_DXLC1_OLBLA1_DXLC1
Custom ROMS:

• ChobitsDigitalis Legacy v1.6 and v1.8
Link2SD Guide for Samsung Galaxy Young
link2sd_by_carldeancatabay-d518zbl.png

INITIAL SETUP
1. Download Link2SD from Google Play Store (previously Android Market)

2. Root your phone (if not rooted)
Verify that you have Custom ROM that supports Link2SD
ROMS that support Link2SD (tested by me)

• ChobitsDigitalis v1 to v1.6 Update (The best ROM for SGY to date) | (Android Development Section)
  • Hybrid ROM (Android Development Section)
3. Partition your SD Card. (preferably via MiniTool Partition Wizard 7 or up)
for SD cards 2GB or Lower
Partition 1:
Label: Android-SD
File System: FAT
Partition Size(in MB): 1536 MB (1.5GB for 2GB SD Cards) or 836MB (for 1GB SD Cards)

Partition 2:
Label: Android-EXT(EXT Number): Ex. Android-EXT2/EXT3 or EXT4
File System: EXT3 (preferable file system)
NOTE:

• EXT2 is old, EXT4 is the fastest among 3 but not compatible in all ROMS and often requires kernel that supports EXT4, so go for EXT3, fast and mounts on most ROMS.
  • For SD Cards 4GB and up, IT IS ADVISED NOT TO SET EXT PARTITION SIZE MORE THAN 1GB.
4. Install Link2SD

5. Open Link to SD and select the appropriate file system of your second partition and the tap on OK.

6. Link2SD will require you to restart your phone, do it after step 7.

7. To make sure everything is working fine take a note of your current storage information by tapping on Menu > Storage Info then restart afterwards.

8. After reboot, open Link2SD and filter applist to show User Apps by tapping on the funnel icon and then select User.
MOVING APPS TO SECOND PARTITION

9. To move an app to SD's second partition, tap an application and then tap on Create Link. Follow the guideline below:
For Applications (Root Apps/Games/Normal Apps), put a check on the following:

1. Link application file (the .apk file itself)
  2. Link dalvik-cache file
  3. Link library file (if an app have lib files)
For Widgets/Live Wallpapers installed on SD Card by default:

NOTE:
Moving an application to Strage Card will move the app on your 1st partition not the second partition which is not good as it will eat up free space for your media files.

DELETING BLOATWARES

10. To delete a bloat system app, filter applist to show System Apps by tapping on the funnel icon and then select System.

11. Tap an application the tap on Actions and select Uninstall from the popup menu.

12. If you know what you're doing (deleting bloat system apps), you simply ignore the warning.
NOTE:
Do not delete OEM Apps (Ex. Samsung Apps for Samsung Phones) as it may cause you problems if the app you deleted is required by your phone to perform some functions.

LINKING DALVIK-CACHE FILES

13. Do this to save more space on your phone's internal memory. Tap on Menu > More > Link dalvik-cache file from the popup menu.

Last edited:

tutabeier

May 5, 2012
I have a tablet that has 250mb for system 7GB extra as internal memory (formated FAT32) and a SD card slot outside.

I partitioned the internal memory (internal SD card). The first partition (with 6Gb) I set primary/FAT32 and the second with 1Gb EXT2/primary.

I wish the Link2SD save apps on the second partition of the internal SD card. I wanted to keep my external SD card without partitioning.

Why I want to do this? Using the internal partition of 7GB is very annoying because it is very slow at USB transfer, and hardly use it. So instead of wasting space partition and my external SD card, I wanted to partition the internal SD card and also wanted the Link2SD utilizasse this internal SD card for apps.

Is this possible?

If this is not possible, I can unify the system partition with the 7Gb's partition, leaving the system with about 8GB of space?

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
I have a tablet that has 250mb for system 7GB extra as internal memory (formated FAT32) and a SD card slot outside.

I partitioned the internal memory (internal SD card). The first partition (with 6Gb) I set primary/FAT32 and the second with 1Gb EXT2/primary.

I wish the Link2SD save apps on the second partition of the internal SD card. I wanted to keep my external SD card without partitioning.

Why I want to do this? Using the internal partition of 7GB is very annoying because it is very slow at USB transfer, and hardly use it. So instead of wasting space partition and my external SD card, I wanted to partition the internal SD card and also wanted the Link2SD utilizasse this internal SD card for apps.

Is this possible?

If this is not possible, I can unify the system partition with the 7Gb's partition, leaving the system with about 8GB of space?

That is possible. But as for the configuration or any requirement to make it work on your tablet, that I don't know. As you mentioned you have to SD Cards, right? An internal and external + the 250mb internal memory. Am I correct?

If you want to use your internal sd card, you can format it to EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4. FAT32 is supported by Link2SD but EXT partition is the native partition for Linux which Android OS is using.

After you format your internal sd card to EXT, tap on Menu> More> Recreate Mount Scripts and the choose the appropriate file system for your internal sd.

One thing I am not sure of is... If link2sd would be able to detect the correct sd card for mounting. If you format your internal sd to EXT file system, then you have a big chance that link2sd will read your internal sd as the right as card for mounting.

NOTE:
It is advisable that 2nd partition should not go over 1Gb, but you can experiment with higher values and let us know if it works. ;)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using xda premium

tutabeier

May 5, 2012
That is possible. But as for the configuration or any requirement to make it work on your tablet, that I don't know. As you mentioned you have to SD Cards, right? An internal and external + the 250mb internal memory. Am I correct?
Yeah. I'm not sure if it's a SD inside the tablet or a chip.

But I access the internal memory through the /sdcard folder. And the "really external" SD card is accessed through the /sdcard/tflash folder.

If you want to use your internal sd card, you can format it to EXT2, EXT3 or EXT4. FAT32 is supported by Link2SD but EXT partition is the native partition for Linux which Android OS is using.

After you format your internal sd card to EXT, tap on Menu> More> Recreate Mount Scripts and the choose the appropriate file system for your internal sd.

One thing I am not sure of is... If link2sd would be able to detect the correct sd card for mounting. If you format your internal sd to EXT file system, then you have a big chance that link2sd will read your internal sd as the right as card for mounting.

NOTE:
It is advisable that 2nd partition should not go over 1Gb, but you can experiment with higher values and let us know if it works. ;)

I try it. I partitioned the "internal" sd card. The first partition was FAT32/primary and the second partition was EXT2/primary. But Link2SD don't find this second partition. Even if I formated in FAT32/primary, EXT3/primary etc...

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
Yeah. I'm not sure if it's a SD inside the tablet or a chip.

But I access the internal memory through the /sdcard folder. And the "really external" SD card is accessed through the /sdcard/tflash folder.

I try it. I partitioned the "internal" sd card. The first partition was FAT32/primary and the second partition was EXT2/primary. But Link2SD don't find this second partition. Even if I formated in FAT32/primary, EXT3/primary etc...

Hhhhmmmm. . . can you please try to install Script Manager from Play Store and then set the link2sd mount script to run on boot and see if that will fix the problem.

Laggan

Apr 14, 2012
hello, i just recently bought this device, and also bought a 32 GB micro SD,

can anyone recommend me the best partitions sizes for the two partitions???

I was thinking to do this:

1st Partition, Primary, Fat32, 30 GB

2nd Partition, primary, Fat32, 2 GB

thx for ur help

Although i got a big partition and link2sd script was mounted, still, i got my internal memory clattered with installation files and therefore i am getting a warning of internal memory full.

I'm gonna try app2sd by sir darktremor and see if it will handle all my apps well.

Though link to sd is really easy to configure.

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
hello, i just recently bought this device, and also bought a 32 GB micro SD,

can anyone recommend me the best partitions sizes for the two partitions???

I was thinking to do this:

1st Partition, Primary, Fat32, 30 GB

2nd Partition, primary, Fat32, 2 GB

thx for ur help

SGY can only read 1 primary FAT/FAT32 partition. Your 2nd partition should be an EXT2 or EXT3 partition.
So... 2nd partition should be EXT2 or EXT3. Don't use EXT4 or FAT32.

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
Although i got a big partition and link2sd script was mounted, still, i got my internal memory clattered with installation files and therefore i am getting a warning of internal memory full.

I'm gonna try app2sd by sir darktremor and see if it will handle all my apps well.

Though link to sd is really easy to configure.

That is a good idea as app2sd moves all apps to 2nd partition. Let it do the magic.

Laggan

Apr 14, 2012
SGY can only read 1 primary FAT/FAT32 partition. Your 2nd partition should be an EXT2 or EXT3 partition.
So... 2nd partition should be EXT2 or EXT3. Don't use EXT4 or FAT32.

Another question.
As i said, i'm gonna do this with a 32 Gb Micro Sd, can I give to the ext3 partition moren than 2 GB????, and wchich is better for 1st partition, FAT or FAT32???

thx

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
Another question.
As i said, i'm gonna do this with a 32 Gb Micro Sd, can I give to the ext3 partition moren than 2 GB????, and wchich is better for 1st partition, FAT or FAT32???

thx

Yes you can, but it is advisable to have 1024MB or 1GB solid for EXT since larger partition means longer access time (has something to do with partition cluster per second read/write speed and which affects application launch speed) -I may not be so sure about that. LOL

As per FAT vs FAT32... FAT32 is advisable for 4GB cards and up.
FAT32 supports 4GB max file size and FAT supports 2GB max file size only. We don't want to go deep into the technicalities of SD Cards as I may create a thread regarding SD Cards, Batteries and other stuff as an addition to my guide. :rolleyes:

rahul_cm

Apr 26, 2012
me gtng mount script error while using link2sd...follwd the exact step usd ext3 partion 4 secondary...it shws mount script error....invalid argument.

CarlDeanCatabay

Apr 17, 2012
Imus City
me gtng mount script error while using link2sd...follwd the exact step usd ext3 partion 4 secondary...it shws mount script error....invalid argument.

For errors like this, please download and install the latest version of busybox. Then after installing, re-create the mount scripts by tapping menu > more > re-create mount scripts.

Please do reply if the above workaround helped and also please post the exact error so I can create a quick troubleshooting guide so other could benefit from it. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Link2SD for Dummies | Samsung Galaxy Young
    NOTE:
    I spent hours updating my guides and I don't ask you to press that THANKS button, be kind enough not to copy my guides to other forums. I know some noobs want to make a name on other forum boards... but hey, that's not an excuse!
    UPDATES:
    05-26-2012

• Added screenshots
    • Added list of compatible ROMS
    • Corrected some typos
    REQUIREMENTS:

1. Link2SD [DOWNLOAD]
    2. Rooted Samsung Galaxy Young
    3. ROM that supports Link2SD
    4. SD Card with 2 partitions(FAT/FAT32 | EXT2/EXT3/EXT4)
    Tested On:
    STOCK:

• S5360_DXLC1_OLBLA1_DXLC1
    Custom ROMS:

• ChobitsDigitalis Legacy v1.6 and v1.8
    Link2SD Guide for Samsung Galaxy Young
    link2sd_by_carldeancatabay-d518zbl.png

INITIAL SETUP
    1. Download Link2SD from Google Play Store (previously Android Market)

2. Root your phone (if not rooted)
    Verify that you have Custom ROM that supports Link2SD
    ROMS that support Link2SD (tested by me)

• ChobitsDigitalis v1 to v1.6 Update (The best ROM for SGY to date) | (Android Development Section)
    • Hybrid ROM (Android Development Section)
    3. Partition your SD Card. (preferably via MiniTool Partition Wizard 7 or up)
    for SD cards 2GB or Lower
    Partition 1:
    Label: Android-SD
    File System: FAT
    Partition Size(in MB): 1536 MB (1.5GB for 2GB SD Cards) or 836MB (for 1GB SD Cards)

Partition 2:
    Label: Android-EXT(EXT Number): Ex. Android-EXT2/EXT3 or EXT4
    File System: EXT3 (preferable file system)
    NOTE:

• EXT2 is old, EXT4 is the fastest among 3 but not compatible in all ROMS and often requires kernel that supports EXT4, so go for EXT3, fast and mounts on most ROMS.
    • For SD Cards 4GB and up, IT IS ADVISED NOT TO SET EXT PARTITION SIZE MORE THAN 1GB.
    4. Install Link2SD

5. Open Link to SD and select the appropriate file system of your second partition and the tap on OK.

6. Link2SD will require you to restart your phone, do it after step 7.

7. To make sure everything is working fine take a note of your current storage information by tapping on Menu > Storage Info then restart afterwards.

8. After reboot, open Link2SD and filter applist to show User Apps by tapping on the funnel icon and then select User.
    MOVING APPS TO SECOND PARTITION

9. To move an app to SD's second partition, tap an application and then tap on Create Link. Follow the guideline below:
    For Applications (Root Apps/Games/Normal Apps), put a check on the following:

For Widgets/Live Wallpapers installed on SD Card by default:

NOTE:
    Moving an application to Strage Card will move the app on your 1st partition not the second partition which is not good as it will eat up free space for your media files.

DELETING BLOATWARES

10. To delete a bloat system app, filter applist to show System Apps by tapping on the funnel icon and then select System.

11. Tap an application the tap on Actions and select Uninstall from the popup menu.

12. If you know what you're doing (deleting bloat system apps), you simply ignore the warning.
    NOTE:
    Do not delete OEM Apps (Ex. Samsung Apps for Samsung Phones) as it may cause you problems if the app you deleted is required by your phone to perform some functions.

LINKING DALVIK-CACHE FILES

13. Do this to save more space on your phone's internal memory. Tap on Menu > More > Link dalvik-cache file from the popup menu.
    Great Guide!

Its easy to understand and great formated =)

Thank your for making this Guide

I had a hard time following other guides and when I finally able to make it work on my SGY I decided to create a simpler guide to help other.
    I partioned my 16gb sd card to ext3 n bt link2sd is nt allowing par2 to mount.invalid mount it is sayiing.help me

hit thanx if i help any
    make sure ur second partition is formatted as primary and not logical .
    Hey nice guide!

i made a stupid mistake, i tried to convert gmaps to a user app and Link2sd gave an error and now the app is not visible on my phone..
    i tried downloading it from the play store but while installing it says cannot install blah blah.. how do i get it back??:confused:

Delete maps.apk from /system/app and download from play store

Sent from my openAOS Build of Android 2.3 (cyanogenmod edition) using xda app-developers app
    Hello all

I've set the auto mode in link2sd where it sends the apps automatically to sd card on installation

But I've seen that some apps after install the notification by link2sd comes that app is linked to sd

Some apps no notification comes

In the apps list in link2sd some apps are shown ON SD while some others linked to SD

Is there any difference?

Should i disable auto option?
    linked to sd is better
    on sd uses some space in internel memory so it will get full
    linked to sd completely links all of it to sd so the internel memory is not affected